Post Match: Liverpool 1-1 Leicester (EPL 30/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Henderson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Keita [off 66’]

• Shaqiri [off 66’]

• Firmino [off 82’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Mane [GOAL 2’]

Votes: 88 74.6%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 66’]

• Lallana [on 66’]

• Sturridge [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Agreed. I initially wondered why Clyne was released and didn't find it a particularly brilliant idea to weaken our strength in depth midst in the season, but then accepted the idea that Camacho was seen as a proper prospect, and probably already above Clyne in the pecking order in Klopp's view.

However, one wonders then why he didn't get a shot in the midst of such a severe crisis at right back? If he doesn't get a game in such conditions, when will he ever get one between now and the end of the season? And if he isn't good enough to get a game as a right back, why was then Clyne released?

I know, people might say that this is all hindsight as there wasn't such a terrible injury crisis when Clyne was released, but still... it's a bit odd that Camacho didn't play that game... maybe he was ill or slightly injured too, who knows?
If Camacho did play last night, he would have been up against the Leicester lad Gray, is that right?
Gray is pretty tricky from what I have seen, and maybe Klopp didnt want to risk Camacho against him,

that is of course, if Gray played left wing/midfield!

Noo Noo

If Camacho did play last night, he would have been up against the Leicester lad Gray, is that right?
Gray is pretty tricky from what I have seen, and maybe Klopp didnt want to risk Camacho against him,

that is of course, if Gray played left wing/midfield!
That was one area that was quite interesting.

On our right Henderson was able to position himself between their full back and wide midfielder. Conversely Robertson had no such luxury as the midfielder on his side basically stay goal side of him. They swapped things round to address that during the first half I think it was. It helped them as that right flank was our way in during the first half.

Sorry I cant remember the names etc. I was half watching, half listening, half working during the game.

Commando

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking, the constant ref bashing is becoming a bit ridiculous. We all want to win, some decisions you get some you don't.
To a degree it's not constant ref bashing. It tends to be when we've dropped points or had blatant decisions (Keita's (not given) penalty last night.

Off hand I'll admit I honestly don't know but I'm not convinced by people saying we never get anything ever.
Again, more likely to be talked about if the decision/non decision affects the outcome of the game.

I don't think so. Do you know any City fans? I work with several. They are fucking arrogant, entitled mental cases to a man.

I've seen the decisions we've been getting over the past few years with my own eyes. So have you. I don't need to go on a City forum to have my views endorsed.
If you can point me to examples where City have been done out of points because of poor decisions over the past 2 seasons I'll be most grateful.
I have a season ticket for the Emptihad care of Mrs CDO who is a ST holder and can't/won't drive to Manchester. There's a total melt behind me who gets apoplectic at every decision given against City. I'm sure that there are similar fans to him in every set of supporters, even ours. In fact, I know of one Red who would argue that black is white in support of Liverpool.

Agree with all that but have to disagree with your last sentence, I just think the standard of reffing in England is abysmal hence why none have done a major FIFA \ UEFA finals recently. I could be wrong but Id say a European ref would have given a pen for that foul on Keita all evening. Atkinson was poor for us and Leicester, they should have had a free on the egde of our box in the first half when Hendo caught maddison(?). I think Maguire should have been off. How atkinson thinks maguire isnt last man against sadio in that situation is beyond me. Jonny Evans or another defender could have caught him? Say what? Sadio is clean through there with a 1 on 1 against the keeper if he isnt brought down.

Someone who sits behind me in the ground said ref's are trying to even games up by giving 'lesser' teams in a game decisions so as not to spoil games for the tv audience or, to make sure the game is balanced (maybe this is a conspiracy theory I said didnt exist!). On the whole I think refs have fallen into the trap of not wanting to be scrutinised endlessly by tv. But, by dipping out of making these decisions, they are scrutinised just as much.

Just been on another forum and the usual bashers are blaming Hendo for the draw last night. Ignore the fact the normally excellent Robbo had probably his worst game for us, gave away the free kick from which they equalised, ignore van Dijk completely switching off for Maguire to steal a goal, hey, let's blame Hendo because we want virgil as captain or just get Hendo out of the team \ club.

As I said in the pre match thread, Leicester have always been a bit of a bogey team for us. Vardy's goal scoring record against us is as good as drogba's and aguero's. Fortunately he didnt score last night.

The only other thing I was majorly disappointed with was the ground staff only clearing the Kop goal. Split the staff in two and do both goals. We water both ends of the pitch before the game and at half time. Some clubs dont. Yes, each goal is the same for both teams but it was the height in lack of sportsmanship imvho.
I totally agree with your sentiments about English ref's. It's not even just the big decisions that rile me but the basics that they don't apply. Time added on to the ends of each half for one. In the first half last night there was Mane's goal and Maguire's booking. Thirty seconds each. Atkinson added exactly feck all on to the half. If they can't be trusted to add up a couple of thirty second stoppages to make on minute added then they're fecked for the big decisions. As I said above, I go to all the City home games. Rotherham in the cup. Second half something like six goals scored, six substitutions, not sure about yellow cards. But applying thirty seconds each that's six minutes. The ref that day added no time on at the end. The argument could be made that he was putting Rotherham out of their misery. That's not his prerogative. He should apply the rules as they are meant to be.

RedYank

PL officiating can be maddening--yesterday's a complete WTF.

From my long-view perspective, the referees do have some higher-end competencies for what they are called to do. There are, after all, only a finite number of calls they can make rule-wise. Compared to the Keystone Kop clusterfark that is NFL officiating--which contain multitudinous rules with absolutely no chances of consistently being ruled upon--PL officiating is almost benign.

I truly believe once VAR comes into play, the amount of "questionable" calls/non calls will reduce dramatically.

RedForever2014

It's interesting how the old songs we used to sing to Ron Atkinson, when he was United manager, also seem applicable to his namesake.

William Clarke

redshirt
Maguire was VVD's man. VVD fucked up, looked like he was waiting for the whistle to go down the tunnel.
Maguire was on the opposite side of the box to VVD. We can't have Virgil wandering all over the box following an opposition player. Maguire should have been taken by Matip or Hendo, so I'm not blaming VVD for Maguire being left on his lonesome in our box. Hendo played well, but believe it should have been him defending that area of the box. A short while before that Maddison had a free header almost in the same place.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Haha ignorance is bliss. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

VAR is a total shit show that England has been largely immune from to date, bar a few FA Cup games.

As an Aussie living in the states, I've been living with it in the A League and the MLS for a few years now. VAR doesnt remove the human element from the game at all. All decisions continue to be down to ones interpretation of the law, but there is just an added level of scrutiny. No week goes past where there isn't at least 1 game involved in VAR controversy. It works ok when the desicion is not too ambiguous, like many of those instances during the world cup.

From a fans perspective, it also takes away the flow of the match and makes celebritating a goal a little watered down and delayed whilst you wait for the decision to be made.

Commando

Just a quick one. WTF was Choudary hoping for when he came on? He just kept lumping it aimlessly into our half behind Robbo and then complaining to his team mates that they hadn't chased it. :-)

Red Eyes

No reason to be too despondent. Anyone that thought we weren’t going to drop points between now and the end of the season is deluded. We will drop more. However Leicester are decent and have a few players that would get into our top 16. Considering the ref was gash, we have umpteen injuries, and a few players were were below par after sickness, it wasn’t a terrible result given City’s defeat.

I’m not sure a warm weather break can be judged on the first match back. It often seems to have a mild dampening effect on the first performance, but then pays dividends afterwards due to recharged batteries. Let’s hope so.

At the start of this week we would’ve taken an extra point over City, with one less game for them to catch us wouldn’t we?

RedYank

Haha ignorance is bliss. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

VAR is a total shit show that England has been largely immune from to date, bar a few FA Cup games.

As an Aussie living in the states, I've been living with it in the A League and the MLS for a few years now. VAR doesnt remove the human element from the game at all. All decisions continue to be down to ones interpretation of the law, but there is just an added level of scrutiny. No week goes past where there isn't at least 1 game involved in VAR controversy. It works ok when the desicion is not too ambiguous, like many of those instances during the world cup.

From a fans perspective, it also takes away the flow of the match and makes celebritating a goal a little watered down and delayed whilst you wait for the decision to be made.
I suppose that is a better alternative than to simply let things pass--especially penalties.

I have an MLS side in my town. Attend often. Have really only seen a handful of calls/non calls even get reviewed, but, as you say, the human element has interrupted the contests with rather oddball rulings on the ones they do review.

Wilkored08

Of course VAR will be wank,why wouldn't it be as the referees don't seemingly follow the same rulebook,interpretation and all that fucking crap.
Why does VAR take ages to be viewed, when TV coverage (ie) last nights foul on Naby, was viewed straightaway....it was a pen, all pundits said so, the TV studio ref said so...so why couldn't the ref give a pen.????

dockers_strike

...not to mention a sly little shove in the back.
Peter Walton on tv originally said this wasnt a pen because Keita scuffed his shot. WTF has scuffing a shot got to do with it being a pen!? As I said, even in real time you can see the Leicester player knocks his standing foot and unbalances the lad as he's about to shoot. Of course he's going to 'scuff' the shot if he's been knocked off balanced. The defender did even get anywhere near the ball.

It;s actually beyond credible belief when you watch it. atkinson has a good view so why he doesnt think that is a foul and a pen is beyond me. Some minutes later Im not sure if it was wijnaldum got caught in the exact same way but because it was outside the box, he gave a direct free kick.

FGred

Someone standing on your foot isn't enough contact,apparently.
And maguire elbowing Salah to stop him dribbling past him went unpunished with no penalty in fact with all the narrative before the game of Salah diving will ensure that he will never get a penalty again between now and the end of the season exactly the same thing happened to Suarez who when not getting penalties started going down upon contact

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
- atkinson will probably claim that his view was obscured ...

... by all that fresh air?
Atko's excuse is that he's an appalling referee.

In truth though, I don't think there's even a question that players that are classed as divers by the refs (Kane escapes this tag - that he's English is no coincidence) will get a far tougher time of it. Keita is very unfairly bring punished for some of his flops earlier in the season.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
Maguire was on the opposite side of the box to VVD. We can't have Virgil wandering all over the box following an opposition player. Maguire should have been taken by Matip or Hendo, so I'm not blaming VVD for Maguire being left on his lonesome in our box. Hendo played well, but believe it should have been him defending that area of the box. A short while before that Maddison had a free header almost in the same place.
It was after a set piece and VVD was on Maguire. Watch it again!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Atko's excuse is that he's an appalling referee.

In truth though, I don't think there's even a question that players that are classed as divers by the refs (Kane escapes this tag - that he's English is no coincidence) will get a far tougher time of it. Keita is very unfairly bring punished for some of his flops earlier in the season.
And that's it really. No conspiration, no anti-LFC bias. Nothing. Just a very, very crap ref, so nothing new really. Atkinson has always been, still is and always will be crap. It's just how he is. Fortunately, other top teams suffer from him being crap too. We aren't the only ones, contrarily to what the conspiracy theorists think.

FGred

And that's it really. No conspiration, no anti-LFC bias. Nothing. Just a very, very crap ref, so nothing new really. Atkinson has always been, still is and always will be crap. It's just how he is. Fortunately, other top teams suffer from him being crap too. We aren't the only ones, contrarily to what the conspiracy theorists think.
I agree he bottled all the 18 yard box decisions at both ends

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
To be honest I think it is just a shit ref, at the end of the day we’ve been getting decent refs recently so.

The reason for my negativity was that second half, one shot on target in 45 minutes when we need to win, that was pretty poor, it’s not like Leicester are playing any different to others. Also not sure why we brushed our attacking area as it seemed to be the reason we had most of our chances in the first half.

We have to be more on it from now on new month and all that we need to see some return to how we were in December. We had two mistakes in the bag and we let one slip last night, hopefully at least Milner is fit with TAA back soon as well.

Don't know if this was mentioned before but while I was watching the game I felt the atmosphere was pretty nervy.

I thought we wouldn't get the winner and it seemed to me that people in Anfield felt the same way.

My stream was absolutely pants, so I didn't think about the matter anymore, until I read some VVD's comments here in the main site...

“Obviously you get that feeling from the crowd and I think it’s not really necessary at the moment”

I think fans in the stadium should keep singing even if the think we are going to drop points...of course I am not the one entitled to get critical since I am million milles away and with no chance to go to Anfield to support, but I just wanted to point the fact anyway...

Cheers :shocked:

big noyd

i don't agree with klopp on loaning clyne out. at this point experience dictates the assumption that i'm wrong. (keita is the closest thing to a misstep and i thought he was going to be better than pogba)

hendo got much better balls into the box than clyne would have, when we weren't doing much else going forward, and his defending didn't lead to the free kick that produced the goal, even if his positioning looked at times like it drew inspiration from moreno and his dog