Post Match: Liverpool 1-1 Leicester (EPL 30/1/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Matip

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robertson

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Henderson

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Keita [off 66’]

• Shaqiri [off 66’]

• Firmino [off 82’]

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Mane [GOAL 2’]

Votes: 88 74.6%
  • Salah

• Fabinho [on 66’]

• Lallana [on 66’]

• Sturridge [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
The shit show that is VAR in the A League has been a disgrace. VAR as was applied at the World Cup was terrific. The system can work well and be as seamless as possible, if correctly used. As in any work place, an employer needs to give the necessary training that is required for an employee to fulfill their responsibilities. FIFA prepared well, Football Federation Australia did not.
I actually think it seemed to work well in the world cup because it didnt involve too many 50/50 or ambiguous decisions. It was also a small sample size of matches over the course of a month. The issues with VAR become more apparent over the course of a full season.

For instance, I'm not convinced a hypothetical implementation of VAR would issue a red to Maguire the other night. I've already read numerous opposing views on that decision. And to a lesser extent, the Keita penalty decision.

Elessar

The PL referees simply isn't good enough and the main is as i have said many times that the referees don't need to be good to keep his job. They know that they will get away with shit calls. Atkinson have been shit for many years but he know that he will keep his job.

If the referees knew that they must get better to keep the job then they would be better. If a teacher isn't good enough then he/she will be sacked. A PL referee will keep his job.

Mike Riley must be sacked as soon as possible and replaced by a foreigner that have the power to sack referees and don't have any friend among the PL referees. It isn't a maybe, it is a must.

melbournered

Walton is a fucking idiot
Thank you, i'm not the only one thinking that. It may be the way he communicates (and i'm being generous here) but he never makes me feel that he really knows what he is talking about. I've noticed a contemptuous attitude towards him from the likes of Burley, Nichol etc. as well.

yiannos33

Believe
Watched the game again. The way I saw it the 2nd time is we weren’t at our best.
We started really good, ref did them a favor by keeping Macqire in, and he scored at the end of the half on couple of our mistakes.
2nd half we couldn’t break them down as they parked the bus and we start panicking and rushing the ball.
Clear penalty again was not given. Overall we gain a single point on City.
If we gain another point coming this Monday I’ll be happy.

melbournered

I actually think it seemed to work well in the world cup because it didnt involve too many 50/50 or ambiguous decisions. It was also a small sample size of matches over the course of a month. The issues with VAR become more apparent over the course of a full season.

For instance, I'm not convinced a hypothetical implementation of VAR would issue a red to Maguire the other night. I've already read numerous opposing views on that decision. And to a lesser extent, the Keita penalty decision.
Fair enough. Nothing is perfect when it involves human beings.
Anyhow, despite what i said in my previous post about training, given the current parlous state of refereeing in the EPL, god knows what we can expect next year.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Wrong call.

Matip did not play maguire onside. He was more advanced than VVD. If anything VVD should have been a tad more advanced.

It was Gini and Robbo playing maguire onside:
I had to do from memory. Picked wrong name but point remains. Trap is tricky to play and am not a fan of playing it so deep especially on second/third balls

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I think the best thing to do with conspiracy theorists is to leave them well alone. A bit like sleeping dogs or land mines. Never in the whole of human history has one come to his or her senses and said “fuck yes your right, now I see the evidence I realise I’ve been wrong about that my entire life”
In fairness that is too easy and simplistic to use in an argument that has been validated on several occasions. The empirical evidence is there from last season, 12 points dropped by Liverpool and 6 gained by Man Utd due to incorrect decisions. This is a scientific study, and it's lazy to denigrate the argument by calling people who use it conspiracy theorists. Why was Manes goal vs Arsenal not allowed? Why was Keita not given a pen on Wed night?
Really need to look at all the seasons Liverpool deigned to challenge. As why was Suarez demonised by Fergie and SKY, penalty shouts not given.......
Analyse the evidence without prejudice and then decide.

sms1986

In fairness that is too easy and simplistic to use in an argument that has been validated on several occasions. The empirical evidence is there from last season, 12 points dropped by Liverpool and 6 gained by Man Utd due to incorrect decisions. This is a scientific study, and it's lazy to denigrate the argument by calling people who use it conspiracy theorists. Why was Manes goal vs Arsenal not allowed? Why was Keita not given a pen on Wed night?
Really need to look at all the seasons Liverpool deigned to challenge. As why was Suarez demonised by Fergie and SKY, penalty shouts not given.......
Analyse the evidence without prejudice and then decide.
Why would there be a conspiracy against Liverpool in the first place? I bet there's other clubs who could easily claim a conspiracy against them as well.

The points dropped/gained for us and United last season could be seen as evidence of a conspiracy but I doubt it, unless there's also a conspiracy against the likes of Stoke and Brighton who also had bad luck with decisions last season.

Ferguson demonised Suarez because he was Evra's manager and making Luis look bad helped them out, it's not a conspiracy but rather a manager who could see an obvious opportunity. Sky demonised him because they want people watching them, so they fuel drama as much as they can.

If you ask some rival fans, they think we've had a load of penalties this season.

Incognito

The Normal One
Some of them can be funny to observe, though, like the flat Earth people.
Wait, what? Earth isn't flat? :shocked:

By the way no pre match thread yet? @nobluff Please do the needful (title depends on you), we won't have a match thread if you don't do the honours. It's a forum rule now, isn't it? :tongue:

Btw, Klopp confirms Trent isn't fit and Gomez may not be back for Bayern game as well.

Elessar

Gomez out against Bayern probably means Lovren and Matip as our central defenders. VVD is suspended. Bayern probably :cheers: when they find that out.

sms1986

By the way no pre match thread yet? @nobluff Please do the needful (title depends on you), we won't have a match thread if you don't do the honours. It's a forum rule now, isn't it? :tongue:

Btw, Klopp confirms Trent isn't fit and Gomez may not be back for Bayern game as well.
Hopefully they're just being cautious and Gomez will be back for the first leg.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Why would there be a conspiracy against Liverpool in the first place?
Personally I believe it is driven by the Murdoch controlled media, including SKY, and all their side assets. Ferguson started the Suarez is a diver campaign well before the Evra incident. Suarez didn't help himself either but any other player of his quality would have been celebrated instead of pilloried. He was twice the player Hazard is, with a quarter of the plaudits Hazard gets.
I really think that there is an inate bias there, referees are swayed by the thoughts of the pundits having a go.
Liverpool are not owned and fuelled by oligarchs or Arabian millions, the owners seem to be doing business in an understated and honest way. They don't fit what SKY wants I am afraid. Hence the bias.

sms1986

Personally I believe it is driven by the Murdoch controlled media, including SKY, and all their side assets. Ferguson started the Suarez is a diver campaign well before the Evra incident. Suarez didn't help himself either but any other player of his quality would have been celebrated instead of pilloried. He was twice the player Hazard is, with a quarter of the plaudits Hazard gets.
I really think that there is an inate bias there, referees are swayed by the thoughts of the pundits having a go.
Liverpool are not owned and fuelled by oligarchs or Arabian millions, the owners seem to be doing business in an understated and honest way. They don't fit what SKY wants I am afraid. Hence the bias.
United aren't owned by oligarchs or Arabian millions either, so why would they benefit?

William Clarke

redshirt
It was after a set piece and VVD was on Maguire. Watch it again!
I don't want to argue with you @Flobs but we don't play man for man marking plus the goal occurred in a second phase of their play. And yes, I have watched it a few times and the goal was scored in a part of the 18 yard box that should be covered by a right back and not a centre back.

Flobs

FADA
I don't want to argue with you @Flobs but we don't play man for man marking plus the goal occurred in a second phase of their play. And yes, I have watched it a few times and the goal was scored in a part of the 18 yard box that should be covered by a right back and not a centre back.
I'm not argueing with you I'm telling you! :J
VVD was on Maguires shoulder and didn't track back. lol

Elessar

United aren't owned by oligarchs or Arabian millions either, so why would they benefit?
The two latest head of referees is close friends with Alex Ferguson. A coincidence?

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
So let me get this clear
The Australian owner of Sky doesnt like us because we are not owned by Arabs or Russians (good) but by a rich American hedge fund (bad). Not quite clear about why Rupert the Aussie likes the Arabs and not the yanks but go with me on this.
The pundits on Sky are told/paid to be biased against us even though quite a few are ex Lfc players. They don’t employ as many ex city players as that would be too obvious.
Nobody ever refuses or goes to the press with what let’s face it would be quite a good story.
The zombie referees watch Sky and are influenced like sheep by the anti LFC bias of the ex Lfc players. There is probably some sort of hypnotism or radio waves involved. This bit of the theory may need more work but something is going on for sure.
This has all been scientifically proven and that’s why we didn’t win the league last season
Have I got that right ?

Last edited:

TheSweetSilverSong

Really? In 2014, we didn't win it for one single reason: our inability to defend corners and other set pieces, and our general ineptitude in defence,which cost us at least twenty points that season. With the attacking prowess we had, we'd have run away with it, had we only had a semi-decent defence.

Us losing out that year had absolutely nothing to do with the refs, only with ourselves.
I agree that defence was the primary reason that cost us the league that season. A secondary reason was depth - we had simply no solutions or game changers coming from the bench. A tertiary reason was pragmatic and experienced Champions mentality at crucial points, where it mattered (and it was mostly down to Rodgers) - the approach to the Chelsea game still shocks me to this day. How can you fall for Mourinho's tactics when it's them that needed more than a point and when for us a draw would do...especially if we would thrive in case they'd take the bait, as our counter attack was lethal, while if they'd stay put, we'd still be fine with the point. Win-win. Instead, nooooo, attack like hell and stay true to guns-ablaze style, god forbid we try to adapt to what we need (how unlucky for Gerrard to be the one that did the mistake caused by our flawed approach to the game - he deserved it the least from all players, and us fans deserved it even less to endure such a disaster by the manager).

But all that said, I can't seem to forget Sterling's disallowed goal vs City in the first round, where I think it would make for a totally different game had it stood (which it should). We lost that game, and I believe it would have been very difficult for City to come back from that, let alone win.
I believe we'd be talking about 6 points difference (-3 for them and +3 for us had we gone on to win that game), or 3 points difference had we drawn that one (-2 for them, +1 for us). Both scenarios enough to make it even more impossible to blow up later on. That ref decision still hurts, it was so clearly not offside that it felt so unjust.

But anyway, yes, overall I agree, no conspiracy.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
atleast 7 point ahead of City I guess...

But when did I speak on the overal system not working?! it's obviously working. Silly to suggest otherwise which I didn't do, all I did was suggest why I think Salah isn't playing to the level he did last season and IMO it's because he ain't used the same way. Do you agree or disagree with that or are you only interesting in throwing me on a bonfire with overassumptions on what my point really was.
If you’re going to drop pearls like ‘the system isn’t working’ as we sit top of the league, five points ahead of the ‘greatest team in Premier League history (tm)’, don’t act indignant when people ridicule you.

And Salah has been fucking brilliant this year. Absolutely no problems there. The system is clearly and demonstrably working. It could hardly be working better.

Flobs

FADA
Children! Children!!

If it means that much to you...you can all do the dishes!
Done them! :-)

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
So let me get this clear
The Australian owner of Sky doesnt like us because we are not owned by Arabs or Russians (good) but by a rich American hedge fund (bad). Not quite clear about why Rupert the Aussie likes the Arabs and not the yanks but go with me on this.
The pundits on Sky are told/paid to be biased against us even though quite a few are ex Lfc players. They don’t employ as many ex city players as that would be too obvious.
Nobody ever refuses or goes to the press with what let’s face it would be quite a good story.
The zombie referees watch Sky and are influenced like sheep by the anti LFC bias of the ex Lfc players. There is probably some sort of hypnotism or radio waves involved. This bit of the theory may need more work but something is going on for sure.
This has all been scientifically proven and that’s why we didn’t win the league last season
Have I got that right ?
Oh dear. If that is an attempt at humour, it doesn't work. If it is an attempt at a serious answer it equally doesn't work. Don't think I am getting into convincing you, so stay in your neatly packaged SKY induced football existence and I don't argue with you any more.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter

Working on it, should be ready in an hour.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Is @nobluff around? Without the new thread i keep coming into this one, not sure why but it seems hard to move on until the new pre-match is up and running. For what it's worth i think it is just a case of refs being useless but unfortunately with a point to prove about not being swayed by the Kop. I also think that now Salah has been shown to go down quite easily we won't get many more penalties even if they are deserved (not checked but did the same happen with Kane, less pens i mean)?

Also i would have happily taken an extra point gained over City over these fixtures. I still think we'll gain a couple more over the next 3 games, they have Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea albeit the harder 2 at home, we have West Ham, Bournemouth and United. If after that we are even further ahead with just 11 games remaining i will really begin to believe especially as our last 2 games against the top 6 are home (spurs and Chelsea) whilst City have an away derby with United and home to spurs

Edit, sorry nobluff, just saw the above post after i posted

jaffod

I agree, you only have to look at the treatment Salah has had recently on SKY. Constant references to his 'diving' even though there has been clear contact on every penalty he has won. Kane and Vardy don't get a mention. I'm pretty sure most of our wonderful referees watch it and draw their own conclusions.
Contrast that with the total silence on the Keita penalty incident the other night. It's not the first time either, every perceived bad decision that goes in our favour is pored over relentlessly with every man and his fucking dog being asked their opinion while at the same time the numerous shite decisions we get are completely ignored.
Then there are cunts like Tyler who likes to reference these things when commentating on matches not even involving us, he must have mentioned Salah's offside goal at Bournemouth half a dozen times in the next game he did and he was forever talking about Skrtel when anybody grabbed hold of an opponent at a corner.

Finally, any Liverpool supporter who can't see why a Murdoch owned organisation like SKY would have an axe to grind with LFC needs to either go and fucking educate themselves or follow someone else.