• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I fucking swear, I'm convinced some of you must have been watching the match at St James' Park last season for some of the reactions I'm seeing in here.

We bossed the game. Start to finish. End of. Newcastle scored with their one meaningful chance, after Enrique cocked up for the 23rd (but not the last) time.

Yes, we need someone to put the ball in the net. Yes, Enrique was utterly dross tonight. Yes, Downing is useless.

Outside of that, I have absolutely no problem with the way we played, and the attitude of MOST of the players.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I fucking swear, I'm convinced some of you must have been watching the match at St James' Park last season for some of the reactions I'm seeing in here.

We bossed the game. Start to finish. End of. Newcastle scored with their one meaningful chance, after Enrique cocked up for the 23rd (but not the last) time.

Yes, we need someone to put the ball in the net. Yes, Enrique was utterly dross tonight. Yes, Downing is useless.

Outside of that, I have absolutely no problem with the way we played, and the attitude of MOST of the players.
I'm with you on this one mick. Some hugely over the top reactions to the result.

Yes it's annoying to watch. Yes the problems are obvious, but we were all over Newcastle almost from start to finish.

LeoT

So you didn't see the slow mow gifs of him being 'out of postion' then????
Did the GIFs show Brad Jones being unsighted by the defender in front of him too?

Fact is, no keeper would have saved that thunderbolt, especially if they were unsighted until it was 3 meters in front of them.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
(...)

If you are going to make arm chair comments (stupid comments at that), be prepared for the flak that comes with it.

And boy, there is a hell of a lot of flak over Germany these days on those night time air raids...not to mention night fighters and radar.

Next time, think before you type please...pretty please at that.
Ok, time to open up the game now. Did you play as a gk at any level?

I myself didn't, that's why I accepted your post (see above). I played as a full-back and center-back however in a far-distant past, so am not devoid of any first-time footballing experience.

But let me just add something: we are talking about the highest level in the game here. So, my earlier words about Jones making an error yesterday were too harsh, point taken here. But you have seen as much as me goalkeepers (top goalkeepers, the likes of Barthez, Casillas, Pepe in top form) stop that kind of shots. Why? Because they are top quality, and thus, play in big clubs. Jones couldn't stop that shot, and thus, isn't top class. Is that fair enough for you?

Delusional geordie

TIA Youth Team

Re-assuring although this maybe for you I think it is part of the problem. It is no coincedence that you have been playing nice football week after week but not getting the results; that is not bad luck but a recurring theme. Teams are realising that they can let you tipyy tappy it about have 70% possession and just counter attack you. To be frank we were pants yesterday. For the first ten minutes we were shellshocked until it dawned you were doing nothing with it and for the rest of the half we contained you and started to take the game to you (I think you only had one shot on goal in the first half) decided to foray up the pitch and scored. Second half again you came at us but again you didn' create many chances and we could have concevably come away with all 3 points despite being seemingly second best.

davenewton1

TIA Reserve Team
Poor performance yesterday still look like we are toothless in attack and all the possesion football is easy on the eye but never going to hurt teams.Allen and sahin were poor and enrique was shocking i think he is probably done here.
This season is becoming increasingly depressing

Hope in your heart

Admin
Re-assuring although this maybe for you I think it is part of the problem. It is no coincedence that you have been playing nice football week after week but not getting the results; that is not bad luck but a recurring theme. Teams are realising that they can let you tipyy tappy it about have 70% possession and just counter attack you. To be frank we were pants yesterday. For the first ten minutes we were shellshocked until it dawned you were doing nothing with it and for the rest of the half we contained you and started to take the game to you (I think you only had one shot on goal in the first half) decided to foray up the pitch and scored. Second half again you came at us but again you didn' create many chances and we could have concevably come away with all 3 points despite being seemingly second best.
Exactly. That's what we have had to deal with since the beginning of this season, and indeed during the latter part of last. Possession and domination, but no end-product. This will not change before one or two genuine quality forwards enter the door. Until then, you can be reassured that we won't come anywhere near to you in the table.

Congrats btw. for your nicely assembled team. You should do well this season if your key players can remain fit. Contrarily to us, you have goals a bit everywhere on the pitch.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Teams are realising that they can let you tipyy tappy it about have 70% possession and just counter attack you.
That says it all for me to be honest. We are not creating enough chances to even hit the post, let alone scores. That is down to the experience of our players. I love the fact that we have youngsters playing on right and left wing, but I think a bit more educating on what to do with the ball would be nice. That line sums it up for me.

I bet even Chelsea would do the same with us come next week. Counter attack with Hazard, Mata, Oscar and Torres. That is going to tear us to shreds.

Everyone keeps saying we're playing brilliant football, but to me it doesn't look any different to this time last year, the style is very very similar.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
I am worried about Jones's distribution more than his positioning.
Yes he was at fault yesterday for the goal, he needed to cut the angle & stand tall....but we are being a bit harsh.
Against Everton he made a poor punch,which led to a goal.You can be assured about Pepe's punches though.

But my worry is his distribution.Its really not that good.And even though it wasn't as abysmal as it was against Everton, it still wasn't good enough.The sooner Reina comes back(and finds form) the better.

My biggest worry is support for Suarez.If you saw Utd's match against Arsenal, every time a player had ball in the final third, there were at least 2-3 players in or charging towards the box to attack.
Compare that to us, and many times yesterday when Luis had the ball, Sterling was the only one trying to get inside the box.

This is why we need Steven on the right.Apart from the fact that he is our best finisher.

You were definitely the 2nd best team yesterday and were pretty lucky to come away with any points. Our style of play is more than good enough. The only thing missing is just another clinical forward- something which we should have addressed the last couple of transfer windows. Just Shelvey himself could have scored a hat-trick on another day but he missed a couple of sitters.

That says it all for me to be honest. We are not creating enough chances to even hit the post, let alone scores. That is down to the experience of our players. I love the fact that we have youngsters playing on right and left wing, but I think a bit more educating on what to do with the ball would be nice. That line sums it up for me.

I bet even Chelsea would do the same with us come next week. Counter attack with Hazard, Mata, Oscar and Torres. That is going to tear us to shreds.
Creating chances is not the problem though. It's finishing them which is the problem. And I agree that although I like seeing Sterling and Suso being given a chance what we need is another goal scoring forward/wide forward to accompany Suarez. We already have enough players on the pitch to create chances (including Suarez himself) but what we don't have are another couple of players who consistently get into the box and score goals.

Mascot88

Admin
There is containing, and there is being fortunate.

Had we had a decent finisher, you'd have been on the end of a hiding. That's a problem of our own making, but don't pretend you had a perfectly executed game plan. You were lucky.

And just checked the stats again. 20 shots. 12 on target. 1 goal. The problem is the finishing (or the lack of it).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We were not really creating clear cut chances at the start of the game. I recalled clearly our game broken down as soon as we hit the final 3rd. Suso taking shots against defenders, Sterling trying to wiggle his way through too many players and Suarez had probably one shot on goal in the entire 1st half. Throughout the first 45 minutes, after the 9 minutes spell, we went dull. Suarez become the lone striker that being tasked to do everything himself, from taking on the defence and score goals.

Not much of a difference from last season. Not yet.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Poor performance yesterday still look like we are toothless in attack and all the possesion football is easy on the eye but never going to hurt teams.Allen and sahin were poor and enrique was shocking i think he is probably done here.
This season is becoming increasingly depressing
I suspect I was watching a different match last night and a different liverpool side that had 23 shots on goal and about 68% possession for the match against the Newcastle.

Surely....though redbj will confirm it for me.

Delusional geordie

TIA Youth Team
There is containing, and there is being fortunate.

Had we had a decent finisher, you'd have been on the end of a hiding. That's a problem of our own making, but don't pretend you had a perfectly executed game plan. You were lucky.
Wouldn't disagree but increasingly teams are being lucky against you. Once or twice is probably down to bad luck but week in week out.

Hope in your heart

Admin
The opta stats are generally the most reliable. Here they are: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/last-match/last-match-statistics

The bbc stats aren't really accurate, hence I stopped to display them in post-match threads.

We had six shots on target vs. three, nine blocked shots vs. nil, and eight shots off target vs. eight.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Wouldn't disagree but increasingly teams are being lucky against you. Once or twice is probably down to bad luck but week in week out.
Its down to bad finishing.We all sound like a broken record, but that's the fact.
Crowd the box and maintain disciplined lines, plug spaces and hit on the counter.
Its the mantra that pretty much every team is using against us.

And we still would have won most of the matches, had we found the net.

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
Disappointed with the result but I look at the big picture

Are we playing better football as the season progresses? I think so

Players like Lucas Kelly Johnson Reina and Borini still to come back

Players like Sterling Suso Assaidi and Wisdom look very promising and will get better

I wasn't expecting a top four finish this season only due to the fact it was a BIG transitional year and I don't think anybody was realistic if they were expecting a top four finish

So i am going to sit back and analyze the individual performances from the youngsters (our future) and realize we are going forward and will back BR because he is doing what I was expecting

Mistakes will be made this year by the youngsters and by BR but that's what happens in your first year

The only group I'm going to have a serious critisism is FSG if they don't continue to back the manager with some serious spending on Quality signings

I better not see Darren Bents and Dempseys I want to see Hazards and Matas coming here

1dragon

TIA Regular
Have to agree with Delusional geordie here.

If it was a one-off occurrence, we could probably attribute it to luck. But this problem has been on week in, week out. Opponents coming to Anfield just know if they can soak up the pressure for about 30 minutes, we will lose our intensity and they will find a way back into the game. Counter at pace, by pass the midfield through long balls, and they are left with a great chance to score a goal.

Ironically, this will be the exact same plan that we will be doing against Chelsea next week at the bridge. Only, we will need Suarez to wear his shooting boots so that we can benefit from it.

Mascot88

Admin
I'd say its lucky that Shelvey - usually a decent goal threat - missed three open goals.

We need a reliable goalscorer, but you should really have lost that game.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Shooting at goal and having defenders block them count in the stats as shots 'on goal.'

Just because we had 12 shots 'on goal' doesn't mean they got anywhere near the goalkeeper.

Beware what you read into all these stats.

Huntelaar + Suarez. Now that would be fantastic!
That's it! I am having a chicken tikka and dhal and roti for dinner tonight Mr.Singht!

davenewton1

TIA Reserve Team
I suspect I was watching a different match last night and a different liverpool side that had 23 shots on goal and about 68% possession for the match against the Newcastle.

Surely....though redbj will confirm it for me.
Possession is nothing without winning teams are letting us have the ball knowing we will struggle to break them down and then hit us on the counter.As for attempts on goal i dont really recall krul making any major saves.
If you are happy with watching us play a system where i can see the next two passes never mind a top manager then good for you im just a bit downhearted at the moment