• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Not sure why so many people are calling to push Suarez outwide and to 'bring in a central forward'.

Anyways, I thought Sterling and Suarez were the two best players on the pitch. Agger and Martin had their players in their back pocket. Enrique is so poor going forward it really kills off alot of our attacks. I'd probably start Shelvey and put Sahin on the bench for the chavs. Hopefully Johnson is back by then too, miss him more than Lucas.

Gears

TIA Regular
Too many tactical mistakes by our manager for the game to be won ... He should have pushed Gerrard further forward, instead of playing Shelvey there, once Cabaye was replaced and after the red card ... Gerrard would have never missed all 3 of Shelvey's chances ... Also, introducing Downing ahead of Assaidi was a poor move ...
Gerrard does not want to play as a forward, according to some.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
i won't gp into that "we need a forwrd" , we are past it.

what i don't understand, neither sterling nor suso, like to get in the box and create a passing option to luis.
they make their runs, but they stay out of the box, never cutting to middle, which leaves Luis alone all the time against 2 defenders sometimes 3, when all he can do is try to dribble past and shot.
if BR can teach these two, that they need to cut inside and be available for a one-two or a pass to draw defenders, than either rotate them or switch a formation. we might be playing 4-3-3, but suarez is allways alone.

the way i see it, for the funds the press are throwing around that will be available at january ( 10-15 mil ), suck it up BR and bring carroll back.

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
Bah, confirmation that this team is nothing more than a mid-table one.
Actually, that confirmation came some time during the last few months of Kenny's reign, hence why he was axed.

We need to learn when to play the ball backwards and rebuild. Too often in the final third, we're too eager to create something there and then, which is leading to needless cession of the ball. Speaking of which, how many times did Enrique & Gerrard lose possession today?

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
That team is mediocre, full stop. I expect us to stay around that 12th position during the whole season.
The fact that you say that about a team with 3 teenagers in it, missing the first-choice goalkeeper, fullback, and midfielder is absolutely mind-boggling to me.

Have we lost all sense of perspective? All sense of context? All patience? All understanding? All vision?

I'm seriously disappointed today, but it's not with the team or the manager.

Sweeting

Good performance, lads worked hard and should have won. Just didn't happen today.

Better luck next time, Suarez is really starting to produce the goods though, long may it continue.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Shivers...it really is sad..i am now depressed.
look on the bright side, its just those two. what a lovely trio they would have made with adam.

i just miss the days we could have unleashed poulson.

brush85

Actually, that confirmation came some time during the last few months of Kenny's reign, hence why he was axed.

We need to learn when to play the ball backwards and rebuild. Too often in the final third, we're too eager to create something there and then, which is leading to needless cession of the ball. Speaking of which, how many times did Enrique & Gerrard lose possession today?
Gerrard had 90% completion today.

I think we played well again. Its just the fine margins between wins and draws that are stopping us from pretty much being in the top 4 or at least the top 6.

Gears

TIA Regular
i won't gp into that "we need a forwrd" , we are past it.

what i don't understand, neither sterling nor suso, like to get in the box and create a passing option to luis.
they make their runs, but they stay out of the box, never cutting to middle, which leaves Luis alone all the time against 2 defenders sometimes 3, when all he can do is try to dribble past and shot.
if BR can teach these two, that they need to cut inside and be available for a one-two or a pass to draw defenders, than either rotate them or switch a formation. we might be playing 4-3-3, but suarez is allways alone.

the way i see it, for the funds the press are throwing around that will be available at january ( 10-15 mil ), suck it up BR and bring carroll back.
Carroll's presense in the box was a bit of an issue last season. He was not moving well enough and his first touch was simply awful. Bringing carroll back would benefit both sides, but rodgers just does not rate him. Does he rate him so badly that he wouldn't even get picked over samed yesil? That's the part that worries me.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Have to agree another one we should have won.The last 2 games have shown that our younger players, good as they are, still have things to learn. I think our manager has also. Stevie G could be played in an attacking role or a dm role( as he does for England) but not in the floating midfield role he seems to be playing.
Allen and Sahin are to lightweight to be played together,both skillful but little bite.
We livened up when Shelvey came on.Yes he should have scored but in the first half we had no one getting in the box.
Surely when play is building down one flank the other wide player should be getting in the box, becoming a second striker..
I would like to see more of Assaidi, prefer him to Downing although Downing has done a little better these last 2 weeks.
Enrique is erratic.
That,s about it for my opinions.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Expected to lose today, so am pleased to get a point.
Steve G, needs using sparingly and Raheem is a real star in the making.
Did not listen to BR after the Swansea gama and won't tonight as his constant bleating is getting on my nerves.
I feel so sorry for Luis, he deserves so much better than thi crap.
Possession means FA if you cannot use it to produce results.

Gears

TIA Regular
I doubt that is true, but if it is, we have a serious problem ...
I don't see how Rafa managed to brainwash Gerrard to play as a forward, he even put on the number 9 shirt for england. Part of it has to do with alonso being the boss in midfield. Stevie was willing to pass the torch to him perhaps because he admired his skill.

Now everytime I see allen doing his thing in midfield, it looks like gerrard just doesn't think he's that good....so he drops deep to help when he is not needed.

Rodgers trusting Allen so much is similar to how Rafa trusted Alonso. The problem has to do with ego. It's easier to allow Alonso, a highly decorated player, to pick up responsibility than to allow the young/modest welshman to do it. I can see why some people are starting to suggest an allen/henderson combo would suit us more.

It just seems stevie fits in more up front where he's playing with a play who is of higher calibur than him. He has an ego issue, but that's what made the torres/gerrard partnership work.

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
Gerrard had 90% completion today.

I think we played well again. Its just the fine margins between wins and draws that are stopping us from pretty much being in the top 4 or at least the top 6.
Of passes. His tendency to take shots from anywhere on the pitch, which usually result in a turnover in possession, is helping nobody.

It baffles me that, every time he takes a corner that fails to get beyond the first man, the commentators will say that it's so out of character, when he's been wasting corners in exactly the same way for a long time.

LFCLV

TIA Youth Team
indianscouser said:
Remove suarez. We wont win this, its like everyday in the office. I cant see us scoring twice in the 2nd half. Bring assaidi.
Literally suarez is a 1 man show.
We are literally non existent with him.
:D :D :D Funny how your toughts change during the game
Luis is the only reason why we are as high as we are. We could be ir relegation battle if not him.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
mate you have to look at the other side of it its ok being positive but we are a long long way from finishing 4th
Agreed, we are a team in transition, it's gonna be 2 or 3 seasons or so before we really get the results consistently most of us so want.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Expected to lose today, so am pleased to get a point.
Steve G, needs using sparingly and Raheem is a real star in the making.
Did not listen to BR after the Swansea gama and won't tonight as his constant bleating is getting on my nerves.
I feel so sorry for Luis, he deserves so much better than thi crap.
Possession means FA if you cannot use it to produce results.

Spot about possession mate. In the first 15-20 mins we had plenty but created nothing with it. Painful how many times wide players got in good positions and had to check back because there was nothing on in the box. Im all on for keeping it but you need to score while on top. If not we will always end up chasing a result like today. We need two new players at the top end for sure. Personally Im less convinced about 4-3-3 as we get to see more of it especially with the players we have currently.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
If I'm looking to create something/win a match and I glance down my bench to see Asaidi and Stewart downing both sitting there, I know who I'd bring on.
And i would be the first to agree with you. Assaidi's unpredictability, trickery and pace may well have been useful today, although if Shelvey had of been more clinical the Downing discussion wouldn't be had heh?

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
We could just take these post and others and copy/paste for every game until the transfer window. We needed to win this game and after ten games i am afraid that we are a mid-table team. We need Lucas back so that Gerrard can stop being shite and concentrate on linking up with suarez a la Torres.

We are becoming Arsenal and whoever comes in during January has to hit the floor running otherwise, no Europe next season.

Fuck this shit. YNWA.

brush85

And i would be the first to agree with you. Assaidi's unpredictability, trickery and pace may well have been useful today, although if Shelvey had of been more clinical the Downing discussion wouldn't be had heh?
Thats the thing isnt it? Fine margin between everyone on here being over the moon because we had a come from behind win and where we are now where everyone is frustrated because we drew a game we should have won based on the play.
Of passes. His tendency to take shots from anywhere on the pitch, which usually result in a turnover in possession, is helping nobody.

It baffles me that, every time he takes a corner that fails to get beyond the first man, the commentators will say that it's so out of character, when he's been wasting corners in exactly the same way for a long time.
he only took one shot from too far away..the shots he had in the 2nd half were all around 20 yards and central...good areas for him to shoot from.

The crazy shot from half way was silly though. The other 4 shots he had, we all got the ball back, so it wasnt like it was a change of possession and we had to chase back to stop them attacking.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
And yet another game we dominate and don't win.

Not too fussed to be honest. You can see that we are improving. And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, what we really need is a poacher who can slot the ball in the back of the onion sack.

But jesus wept, everybody stand back and take a look at things. We are PLAYING so well. So well. Aren't we? I think so. We just aren't scoring. People bleat on about how it's all about results, not performance, but I don't think so. Yeah there are games you need to grind out if you are a top team but at the end of the day, whilst it's disappointing to create chances and not bury them, at least it gives us hope that the structure is right.

For some people to compare how we play now to us under Roy is simply staggering.

And ISMF, you are a very intelligent poster, but I think you are being too hard on Jones. That was a tough shot to save. His positioning wasn't perfect because he had to re-position quickly from the other side. Plus he was blinded by the defender in front of him. Would a top class keeper been able to save that? Maybe. But we all know Brad is not world class. Even Brad knows this. But he is decent enough.

People are saying "roll on January" but think about it. Who is going to be available in January? Quality second tier stuff like Walcott maybe. But certainly nobody of immense status. Bring on the summer window I say.