• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United

POOL4EVER

TIA Youth Team
Whilst overall I think he had a good game Enriques defending is sometimes ridiculous. For their goal why does he do a full 360 when up against Ben Arfa ? This gave the opportunity for pushing the ball to the line and getting in a cross which ultimately gave them their goal. For me this is very poor defending as for a brief - but very important moment - he had taken his eye off the ball.

If you watch some of the other goals we have conceeded he seems to want to do the same 360 move a lot which is fine if you get the ball but leaves you dead in the water if you miss it and he has on a few occasions- he must cut it out if he wants to stay in the team as I would prefer Johnson playing out of position on the left than him when he keeps trying it.

Also I agree that Jones should have stood taller ( like Reina does) for the shot from Cabaye - other than that he had a solid game but will remain as a back up for Reina who should remain our no 1.

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
A bit more composure in front of goal,a bit more confidence and we'll be flying.

RMP

TIA First Team
I'm not even worried anymore.
We've been waiting for so long that another two months shouldn't be a much of a problem. I can honestly say that the youngsters have stepped in and made their case of why they should be considered first team regulars. We're heading in the right direction we just need that clinical player and we'll be back among with the best in the league or at least the top four.

Although we haven't been winning I've been enjoying the fluidity of the team thus far and it showed again today. .

South American Red

Hi. I'm new. Excuse my bad English, I'd like to comment on some players

Suarez is one man army, but I think that is affecting colective game as a team. He gets the ball and starts trying to beat defenders too quickly in my opinion.

Sterling, the guy is great but I see him quite frustrated lately, maybe cause all the clear chances he has thrown away. I'd like too see him starting from the bench for a couple of games. The same for Wisdom.

Allen, I thinks he has been poor in the last games. I would start Henderson instead of him next game.

Solid defensive work, except for Enrique's walkout that caused Cabaye's goal.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I don't want Carroll back and more importantly, neither does Brendan.
I know mate and I'm totally in agreement with you. Watched the west ham game and they lump everything up to him and he still wasn't up to much. I get pains in the back of my eyes when I think what we could do with 35M in the next window.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I actually want him to do well so we can recoup close to £20m although that idea is looking more and more fanciful.

Oh well, onwards and hopefully upwards on our meagre budget we go. I think it would be a smart move before the January window opens to sign Carr for the French market and Swansea's chief scout for the Spanish market. Why the hell didn't we try and sign £2m Michu? How many quality players have Swansea brought in the summer for peanuts? Michu, Hernandez, De Guzman-all cheap and all producing the goods. Bloody hell, i'm starting to sound like Rich with my moaning.

JackleCube

Everyone keeps saying we're playing brilliant football, but to me it doesn't look any different to this time last year, the style is very very similar. As the weeks have gone by, to me, it seems Brendan has given on his stance to an extent in that his emphasis on patience and pressing seems to be slowly sliding every week. We were very direct today, at times too direct; after we had success lumping it for Suarez goal, every other pass was lengthy. I think Brendan is really struggling to ingrain his style into some of the players, and you can see whom are the ones who get it it, and whom are the square pegs in round holes.

I genuinely think that Gerrard is never going to work in a Rodger's system; I even get the feeling Brendan knows that to some extent, but is also aware of the consequences of losing the supoort of a player of Gerrard's stature; but when a player has been one of the most direct attacking midfielders in the Prem for well over a decade, it's gonna be difficult to get him out of that mould; and so it is proving, as he keeps making wrong decisions; he's starting to remind me a lot of Charlie Adam last season.

I'm curious as to what has happened with Enrique, it's hard to pin-point where it has exactly all gone wrong, but at the moment he looks a shadow of the player he was this time last season. He has all the right attributes, but his confidence and composure seem to be all over the place, and don't look like coming back any time soon.

I think the truth is that this team is far far away from what Rodger's wants, I think discipline to a system or tactics is vitally important; hence why it's generally the same managers that bring success; and we're struggling to find that discipline at this moment in time. When we go behind, we generally start to panic, many shrivel and things just get worse, so I guess on that note, to not lose today is progress. I think we're moving forward, but this is going to take plenty of time, we've got a good canvas, but we don't have the funds to pay for the best paints; so it's going to take time to accumulate them, but if we can get everyone on the same wave length and drum the patience and passing into them from day one then we can start playing how we're supposed to, because I question at the moment whether some of the players have complete confidence in the system we're trying to play, and that is why when things aren't looking good, we start getting impatient and make silly mistakes.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Oh, and I find it not at all ironic that our goal was from a long ball. Goes to show you that goals can spring from a good play, a genius of a ball by Jose.

And smack in the face of our "new style". I don't buy the new style. Pass and move and find the best possible option at a given time is what football is about.

We are already looking to play the safe ball 3 meters backwards and we are not looking ahead.

Oh, and Pepe's ineffective distribution, I think, has something to do with this. Besides Luis we don't have the players who are making the right runs against open space and/or weak defenders, a-la Nando, Dirk, Maxi.

My post can be so easily torn apart and make it look like I am against BR's style. I'm not. There is clearly a style that differentiates this team from Rafa's and Kenny's (underdeveloped) teams except for moments of open play brilliance.

The goals we score, like today's goal came down to a moment of brilliance by our attack-minded left back and one of the best forwards in the world.

Just like the first Real Madrid goal from the long Pepe ball.

Forcing players to not go for the long balls in the name of patience and organized, pass-to-death play may cost us. And we might not even detect it.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Was it a moment of brilliance from Cabaye ?
It was a good shot dont get me wrong, but to me it looked like Jones was badly out of position

i thought the same but if you look at the replay from behind Jones, he didn't see it while late as it came over Wisdoms shoulder, it seemed that he may have been unsighted

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The fact that you say that about a team with 3 teenagers in it, missing the first-choice goalkeeper, fullback, and midfielder is absolutely mind-boggling to me.

Have we lost all sense of perspective? All sense of context? All patience? All understanding? All vision?

I'm seriously disappointed today, but it's not with the team or the manager.
I agree that it doesn't make for a great read, nor is it specially exhilarating, but it remains true. We are a mid-table team for the time being. Performances and results confirm this. Facts don't lie.

More simply said, the quality isn't there.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Oh, and I find it not at all ironic that our goal was from a long ball. Goes to show you that goals can spring from a good play, a genius of a ball by Jose.

And smack in the face of our "new style". I don't buy the new style. Pass and move and find the best possible option at a given time is what football is about.

[...]

Forcing players to not go for the long balls in the name of patience and organized, pass-to-death play may cost us. And we might not even detect it.
Anyone with an elementary understanding of this style of play would be able to tell you that it's not just about controlling possession with safe side to side passing. Sudden, intelligent vertical balls are a critical component of it, to provide proper variance and threat (as we saw).

I have seen little to no evidence that our players have been instructed to ignore good, intelligent long balls when they are on.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Despite all the good football being played and equally good intentions being shown by the team and the manager, the failure to bring in a goalscorer (blame whoever you want) in the last window has done for us - it's that simple. If you add to that the teething troubles of a squad who are largely unused to the system being used, which has resulted in goals being shipped through individuals not being sure of where they should be positioned or when they should be pressing/tackling, it leaves us where we are in the Premiership.

Depressing and frustrating times lie ahead I fear but we must trust BR to get it right when he has the players at the club (over to you FSG) that he feels he needs to make his footballing methods work. It's going to be another long season for us unless the owners pull their fingers out in January's transfer window; good luck with that one.

RMP

TIA First Team
I agree that it doesn't make for a great read, nor is it specially exhilarating, but it remains true. We are a mid-table team for the time being. Performances and results confirm this. Facts don't lie.

Agreed but we're not as far off as the table would suggest.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member

And you expected what else, exactly, from a team comprised substantially of teenagers, in the midst of a not-insignificant injury crisis, and still in the development phase of learning a new style of play?

We were good enough at times to win today but we didn't. Shit happens. We either accept this as inevitable for the near future or we give up trying what we're working towards. I really don't know what else people are expecting to play out on the pitch.

Hope in your heart

Admin
So what your saying you think if we hadn't scored we'd have lost?

Sorry, but I'm not having a moment of brilliance from our team somehow 'not count' towards our performance, but a moment of brilliance from Cabaye means Newcastle were great.

For me, this afternoon was a drubbing in everything but the score. We should have won - Shelvey could have scored three on his own.
If you have a relook at this goal from Cabaye, it's actually rather a bad goalkeeping from Jones than anything else. It was a good shot, but definitely stoppable. I'm sorry to say this, but Jones has cost us a goal each game these last three games... not good enough I'm afraid...

And yes, it was a good second half and some nice football at display. But the fact that Shelvey didn't score his opportunities, like his team-mates, says again and always that same thing: lack of quality, especially in front of goal.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users

I don't think that the lack of quality is the real problem ... In fact, we probably have more quality players than the likes of Everton and Newcastle, and roughly at the same level as Arsenal and Tottenham ... What I see as the main problem is the lack of tactical versatility and the lack of ability to adapt our game ... We have been experiencing the same problem under Rafa (in his last season) and under Kenny, and it seems that we are experiencing the same problem under Rodgers ... Watching our play can be entertaining when everything is going according to the original plan, but once the opponents adapt to our game after the first 15-20 minutes, our play becomes painful to watch ... Probably it is because of the absence of a real top class play-maker in our midfield, a player that would change the tempo and the flow of the game ... It is not a coincidence that we have never looked the same after the departure of Alonso ... The good news is, we have a player in Nuri Sahin who could perform the role at the highest level, as he has already shown in his Bundesliga-Player-Of-The-Year season with Dortmund ... The bad news is, Rodgers prefers Allen for the role, and despite being a very decent player, Allen is still far from the required level ...

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
Everyone keeps saying we're playing brilliant football, but to me it doesn't look any different to this time last year, the style is very very similar. As the weeks have gone by, to me, it seems Brendan has given on his stance to an extent in that his emphasis on patience and pressing seems to be slowly sliding every week. We were very direct today, at times too direct; after we had success lumping it for Suarez goal, every other pass was lengthy. I think Brendan is really struggling to ingrain his style into some of the players, and you can see whom are the ones who get it it, and whom are the square pegs in round holes.
I completely agree with this. The football we play this year, like last year, is easy on the eye. We have a lot of possession, sometimes we even manage some nice one touch passing around the middle of the pitch. Relative to the amount of possession we have, few chances are created. Out of all the chances created, few are clear cut.

Last year many were saying they could see what Kenny was doing, how all we needed was time and that things would improve. We all know how it turned out. Much of the same can be heard this year. On one hand this is understandable, change doesn't happen overnight and we would be foolish to demand it. That being said, with over a quarter the league already played, questions can and need to be asked. Change doesn't happen overnight, gradual improvements are made progressively. Can we positively see this is happening? Are we currently playing better football compared to the start of the season, for example against City? Is the passing more refined, is possession kept better, are we better at playing our way out of trouble with mistakes, is our pressing more effective, can we start adding a cutting edge to our possession? Based on the last couple of games, the answer is no.

In a sense I'm afraid of a repeat of last year, watching the nice football lacking any cutting edge getting worse and worse as the season progresses. It's the major test for Rodgers and so far he has come up short, despite his post match comments. I'm sure we'll improve IF(and for me, that's a major If, I'm not expecting any movement in January) we get a few more players in, but his job is to get the best out of the players at his disposal.

Hope in your heart

Admin
And you expected what else, exactly, from a team comprised substantially of teenagers, in the midst of a not-insignificant injury crisis, and still in the development phase of learning a new style of play?

We were good enough at times to win today but we didn't. Shit happens. We either accept this as inevitable for the near future or we give up trying what we're working towards. I really don't know what else people are expecting to play out on the pitch.
Injuries happen all the time. We're not the only club having to deal with them. As for that 'new style', isn't it amusing that our only goal came from a long and hazardous punt from Enrique towards Suarez? Hodgson would have been proud of that kind of goal!

Seriously, there is a gross exaggerating when talking about how different that new style is. Basically, it remains pass and move, the same kind of football played last season with Kenny. The fact that it is a bit less direct, and a bit more patient (in theory) doesn't change much about it. The same qualities and the same flaws remain. Why? Because of an overall lack of quality throughout the squad. It's not just bad luck, 'shit happens' or something. It's structural. We'll indeed have to prepare for many similar toothless performances this season.

Ok, I'll stop moaning now. It's indeed nothing new, and I'm just letting steam off, like many on here.

Hope in your heart

Admin
I don't think that the lack of quality is the real problem ... In fact, we probably have more quality players than the likes of Everton and Newcastle, and roughly at the same level as Arsenal and Tottenham ... What I see as the main problem is the lack of tactical versatility and the lack of ability to adapt our game ... We have been experiencing the same problem under Rafa (in his last season) and under Kenny, and it seems that we are experiencing the same problem under Rodgers ... Watching our play can be entertaining when everything is going according to the original plan, but once the opponents adapt to our game after the first 15-20 minutes, our play becomes painful to watch ... Probably it is because of the absence of a real top class play-maker in our midfield, a player that would change the tempo and the flow of the game ... It is not a coincidence that we have never looked the same after the departure of Alonso ... The good news is, we have a player in Nuri Sahin who could perform the role at the highest level, as he has already shown in his Bundesliga-Player-Of-The-Year season with Dortmund ... The bad news is, Rodgers prefers Allen for the role, and despite being a very decent player, Allen is still far from the required level ...
Completely agree with you, but isn't this precisely what I said? A lack of genuine top quality? Or should we rather say: game intelligence?

And I couldn't agree more about what you say about our midfield, that's spot on.

Edit: looking at Suarez, it struck me again today. He is a genuine world-beater with the ball at his feet, but imo, he lacks the necessary intelligence to play as a center forward. His positioning isn't good, and he often lacks the intelligence to release a ball for his team-mates at the right time, rather preferring to go all the way himself. Often, the attack breaks down as a result.

As for Gerrard, he is the shadow of the player he once was. He has never had a true football head like Alonso, but now the legs are gone...

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Usually I don't reply to this type of posts, but I am curious why do you think that "we are shite" ...
Mac, I used to follow you on RAWK, then you crossed over here, then vanished only to pop up again. I don't know if it's you, but with your knowledge of LFC it probably is.
You write well, informative and reliable. You did and do, IMO lack a pre-requisite for any LFC fan at least in your writing.
I don't see passion. Loads of information, opinion but very little passion.
Why are we shite? I do not like our style of play. I like variety. This team we have is no way near as effective as a KD and SC team.
75% possession bores me to tears, but with a win at the end I could live with it. Yes, I am not a big fan of Barca so what?
We are shite, includes some of the team, a little of the management and a lot of the owners.
As to you not replying to posts like this, if you don't like them, STFU and move on.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
We'll indeed have to prepare for many similar toothless performances this season.
That's what I've been saying from the beginning of the season! But every time a result follows that logic people act like they are somehow surprised or personally betrayed by the team.

Yes, we lack quality and depth of quality at the moment. So what? Rodgers has made it clear that this will be addressed in January. It is clear to everyone that it will be addressed again during the summer transfer window. And the window after that. We have what is probably the youngest/least experienced Premier League side but for some reason results like this are unexpected or unreasonable. But what we can say with a fair amount of certainty, if we're willing to look at the bigger picture, is that we. will. grow. out. of. this.

Do any of you really feel as hopeless as you did under Roy? Do any of you really feel that we are so monumentally fucked with our owners that it may as well be Hicks and Gillett again? Do any of you really feel so strongly that our youth will not improve, that intelligent purchases will not be made? Do any of you really feel like this is another sign of our decline?

If you do, I am sorry that you feel that way. I'm still excited. I'm still hopeful. Yes, the structural problems are lingering on a bit. But damn it all, we're working really fuckin' hard on it. And as long as I see that work, I won't let myself be brought down by a less than ideal result.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Not good enough by a long shot
over-reliant on Suarez
Mid-field (all of them) looked second best for 3/4 of the game
long way to go