• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-1 Newcastle United

Blitzkrieg

Anfield/Sydney/Orange County
Some good and some bad out of the game, obviously.

We absolutely dominated the game. Newcastle barely had a sniff, but of course they managed to score from one of their two or three measly chances.

Some of the interplay was really, really nice. I love the combination that is developing between Luis and Raheem. They obviously love running off each other and alot of their play is really intricate and clever.

Luis's goal was absolutely world class and he's in a rich vein of form at the moment.

Negatives - Firstly, is Jose Enrique completely incapable of stringing two routine short passes together? The amount of times he gives away possession needlessly is completely unacceptable. He should basically be playing as a left winger, because he does more for the attack than he does for the defence.

And then, poor Jonjo's finishing when he came on the park. He had two absolutely golden chances to win us the game, and honestly he looked a little off the pace when he came on. Downing is copping flak, but he delivered the cross for Shelvey that absolutely should have won us the game. If Jonjo aims a foot either side of the keeper we take 3 points. Was a shame as he's been such a bright spot recently.

Still playing some beautiful football without the results to show for it. January can't come fast enough.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
I thought Raheem looked VERY VERY polished tonight...and had a steller game. He continues to improve with each game and that can only be a good thing for his confidence and match experince.

GoalRush

TIA New Signing
What struck me in this game was that for all our pretty passing two of our best chances (one being the goal) came from a long ball played over the top , while I'm not suggesting we completely abandon our principles there is something to be said for being abit more flexible and direct , too many times today when a Newcastle attack broke down with them high up the pitch we dawdled on the ball playing it around the back and allowed them to get back into position instead of trying to find Suarez or Sterling with an early ball.

Then there is the complete lack of intelligent running , one attack saw Suarez attacking through the middle with Sterling and Suso running exactly parallel with him making no effort to draw defenders one way or another just running in a straight line , it's infuriating.

Also can someone please explain to me being that Rodgers is supposed to be so analytical that all our attackers continue to dawdle at the edge of the box for cut back crosses instead of making for the back or front post , its cookie cutter stuff , yet we see the same shit every week , why isn't he drilling it into their heads that yes someone should stay in the pocket incase the ball breaks but someone has to grow some F**king balls and attack the ball.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Mac, I used to follow you on RAWK, then you crossed over here, then vanished only to pop up again. I don't know if it's you, but with your knowledge of LFC it probably is.
You write well, informative and reliable. You did and do, IMO lack a pre-requisite for any LFC fan at least in your writing.
I don't see passion. Loads of information, opinion but very little passion.
Why are we shite? I do not like our style of play. I like variety. This team we have is no way near as effective as a KD and SC team.
75% possession bores me to tears, but with a win at the end I could live with it. Yes, I am not a big fan of Barca so what?
We are shite, includes some of the team, a little of the management and a lot of the owners.
As to you not replying to posts like this, if you don't like them, STFU and move on.
That time of the month?

But look at United, signing Van Persie has probably got them 10 points this season.

We just need a great striker.
Yeah, Van Persie is the top scorer in the league ... By the way, do you know who is second?

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Arghh another draw, getting to be a habit.

First off we started brilliantly and how we could get nothing from our efforts is typical of this team even before BR era - not being clinical enuff. Newcastle comes up in the 40th minute after having soaked up waves of attack and scores - and they make it look so easy - it is no wonder everyone got deflated after that. As for the goal, where was the marking on Cabeye, he had a free shot on goal, there were no red shirts near the guy - Wisom? Suso? Our midfield? whoever it is, we need to work on the defensive side as mentioned it was all too easy.

As for the comeback, thank you MOTM Suarez. It just shows how we rely on him and seriously how we need someone to pair with him to get into the box and just smash them in. Jonjo is no striker, his soft strike on goal and miss free header just consolidate me point on some firepower upfront.

Mid table looks ominous unless we make changes that will benefit the team.

Delusional geordie

TIA Youth Team
Yippee we didn't roll over and die which was a surprise. Probably a little fortuitous as we didn't play well at all bar the little moments of magic from Ben Arfa & Cabaye for the goal. You had lots of possession but you don't seem to do a lot with it unless Suarez is on the end of it. For all the stats Krul wasn't overly busy(he was busier against West brom). Suarez is certainly a class above albeit that I might have one or two qualms about his reaction to fouls - absolutely no problem with Colo being sent off, had been given the run around the whole match and probably thought stuff this I'm going to stop him period. However he didn't actually make any contact and Suarez is rolling about as if shot again. Sad to see Stevie G being so ineffective. I think this is going to be a big problem for Rodgers because sooner rather than later he is going to have to make the decision to drop him and it will be interesting to see how that goes down.

GaryStew1980

TIA First Team
- Good performance for 93.5 minutes.

- Suarez was a monster today, in the second half in particular.

- Enrique great going forward and while he was decent in parts today at the back his positioning was awful for the goal.

- Jones, should have saved the goal but he made a mistake more and more keepers seem to make these days by going down when all he had to do was stand up straight and the ball would have hit him in the face.

- We should be easily top 5/6 if we could score.

- Shelvey is still very raw, the chances he missed today show this, when Suarez didn't get the ball across the first time Shelvey turned his back in anger, the ball then came across and he wasn't ready.

- Suso is looking promising as is Sterling but getting more and more worried about the amount of games both are playing.

- Wisdom is decent, but again he is very raw, his positioning is getting him in to trouble and his pace won't get him back in time.

- Gerrard started the game well but faded terribly, some of the passes he missed were shocking for a player of his talent,something is up its been the best part of 18 months since he put together a couple of games of true consistency. its a massive worry .

Again there were reasons to be positive, but the same old issues are haunting us. Many people seem to feel the need to keep bringing it up time and time again, I am at a loss as to why considering we all know we don't actually have any way of resolving these issues till Jan.

So please if anyone is about to spout the same crap over and over again please don't waste the time, its in no way constructive, helpful or anything we haven't all heard or realised before.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Still disappointed with the result but looking at the bright side 1 good buy sorts a lot of our problems. With a top striker up front with Suarez and Stevie/Sterling beside him and Lucas back leaving room for llen/Sahin/Shelvey to help out in attack and i can see the goals flying in. Going to be a long wait till January though

TassieRed

TIA Regular
Im in agreement that he couldnt have done much for todays goal. A top top keeper may have faster reactions and been able to get a hand on it but even thats stretching it. Overall for someone who was 3rd choice up until recently hes done ok. No worse than Pepe had been donig at least.
Let's face it, Brads best chance of stopping that shot today was if it had accidentally cannoned into his face.

nzkop1te

making lemonade out of a lemon
great first ten minutes poor for the next 60. when then saw average passing, average crossing, average corners, average effort.
players that couldn't be arsed to get into the box. then a miracle goal for the equaliser and low and behold we looked interested.
so many schoolboy decisions in the final 3rd showed what a mid table team we are at the moment. this is how lose top players or at the very least not attract any!

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
We are playing with 2 school boys at the final 3rd, surely we will have loads of that kind of decision making.
Exactly. An "oldie" experienced player would have scored 2 more today for us, the way Luis was serving them up on a platter.

nzkop1te

We are playing with 2 school boys at the final 3rd, surely we will have loads of that kind of decision making.
most of them where made by senior players tbf. In fact, one of our school boys showed a few of the senior players up.

nzkop1te

Exactly. An "oldie" experienced player would have scored 2 more today for us, the way Luis was serving them up on a platter.
if you are mean jonjo as in being a "young" fella, he's a bit more experienced compared to the under 12's, as I meant.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Anyone with an elementary understanding of this style of play would be able to tell you that it's not just about controlling possession with safe side to side passing. Sudden, intelligent vertical balls are a critical component of it, to provide proper variance and threat (as we saw).

I have seen little to no evidence that our players have been instructed to ignore good, intelligent long balls when they are on.
This is very true, a good old saying that i have used is 'suck em in then spit em out' this is apparent especially with our style of short passing and in the case of the goal against Newcastle their team tried to win the ball higher up the pitch, for once, by pressing this in turn created space in behind which was utilised by a fantastic ball from Enrique and finished by Suarez.

Another example is Sterlings goal a couple of weeks ago, again it was a quick counter attack against a high line as the opposing team pressed higher, one pass to Suarez pass through to Sterling and the rest is history. As Rodgers says the players saw the opportunity and then used their game intelligence to exploit it

The long 'pass' (as opposed to the long ball) is great at times to break teams when they try to pressure high to curtail our short controlled passing style. 'we've sucked them in and then we've spit em out'

And know sleazy replies.

batt_red

TIA Reserve Team
Was more of the same old same old from us last night! I just don't understand why was Downing on as a sub?? I would have loved to see Assaidi have a go with his trickery and pace at the Newcastle defense.

Also highlights that we are a young team with lots of inexperience in front of the goal! Shelvey and Sterling should have taken their chances and finished up the game for us! But nonetheless, a good show by both! At least the future is secure! Now time to rectify present!

I really really hope we sign a clinical attacker on 1st January!! Huntelaar would be amazing!

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
wait now,the only people that can comment on the game are those that have played it?? i may have been drinking but what the fuck kinda logic is that?,most people on this site don't even go to anfield to watch the fucking games.let alone play it(to a decent level), unless ya count those stupid video games.i know when a keeper fucks up just as i know when a player should hit the fucking target from 12 yards out.gonna be a pretty lonely site if its only people that have played prem league footy that can post.thats assuming you have?
No need for much logic. Just some simple, common sense really. And it does help a fair bit when it comes to sharing experinces and commenting on situations like how Jones faced when Newcastle scored.

Any person who HAS BEEN in a similar situation would understand it was almost impossible for him to do much with that situation where they scored, and yet, the poster feels Jones is to blame for them scoring. You don't need to have played in the premier league to understand simple things that happen in football..be it at amateur, club, college, or even the local pub league level.

If you are going to make arm chair comments (stupid comments at that), be prepared for the flak that comes with it.

And boy, there is a hell of a lot of flak over Germany these days on those night time air raids...not to mention night fighters and radar.

Next time, think before you type please...pretty please at that.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Another one we should have won, great goal from Luis, take him out and we'd struggle to stay mid table.

We know what the problem is and how to fix it, but don't think we can just now.

Bit worried that there is a mid table mentality around, we are not a mid table side and can't see why anyone would be happy with it, but with currently 2 wins in 10 games I can see why some might think it, I wont and never have.

We were left short and it did not take long to show, hope the hell nothing happens to Luis.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
we werent that bad, ill have to watch the game again to see why ged is getting so much shit too, thought he was quite good, one sublime pass late on was ridiculous.

one things for sure, we are clueless going forward.

i reiterate my comments earlier in the week, suarez should be wider, with someone to supply to, he drags people all over the place and timeand time again he makes space and no one heads in there.

sterlings great, but a 17 year old and a 19 year old either side of suarez will never make the most of his footballing nous....

and thats not slagging the kids off, they just havent got the gae experience yet.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
No, we didn't deserve anymore from it. That goal from Suarez is a f*cking miracle. Otherwise, it would have been 0-1. Nothing to celebrate or put false hopes up here. There won't be any karma rescuing us in the future.

That team is mediocre, full stop. I expect us to stay around that 12th position during the whole season.
Mate, thats part and parcel of the game. Havent players against us scored cracking goals?
what i meant was, for the domination and chances we created, we were unlucky to come away with only a point.
It would have been 0-1? thats a lot of assumption though.
I was referring to karma because we have been robbed often, i.e vs everton, vs UTD etc. but this game we really cant blame can we? well there is something called lady luck, and it doesnt favour us, that wicked suarez deflection could have easily creeped in, but it choose not too. Im pretty sure, it would have for UTD.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Still disappointed with the result but looking at the bright side 1 good buy sorts a lot of our problems. With a top striker up front with Suarez and Stevie/Sterling beside him and Lucas back leaving room for llen/Sahin/Shelvey to help out in attack and i can see the goals flying in. Going to be a long wait till January though
how is the wheather in fantasy land ?

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I fucking swear, I'm convinced some of you must have been watching the match at St James' Park last season for some of the reactions I'm seeing in here.

We bossed the game. Start to finish. End of. Newcastle scored with their one meaningful chance, after Enrique cocked up for the 23rd (but not the last) time.

Yes, we need someone to put the ball in the net. Yes, Enrique was utterly dross tonight. Yes, Downing is useless.

Outside of that, I have absolutely no problem with the way we played, and the attitude of MOST of the players.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I fucking swear, I'm convinced some of you must have been watching the match at St James' Park last season for some of the reactions I'm seeing in here.

We bossed the game. Start to finish. End of. Newcastle scored with their one meaningful chance, after Enrique cocked up for the 23rd (but not the last) time.

Yes, we need someone to put the ball in the net. Yes, Enrique was utterly dross tonight. Yes, Downing is useless.

Outside of that, I have absolutely no problem with the way we played, and the attitude of MOST of the players.
I'm with you on this one mick. Some hugely over the top reactions to the result.

Yes it's annoying to watch. Yes the problems are obvious, but we were all over Newcastle almost from start to finish.

LeoT

So you didn't see the slow mow gifs of him being 'out of postion' then????
Did the GIFs show Brad Jones being unsighted by the defender in front of him too?

Fact is, no keeper would have saved that thunderbolt, especially if they were unsighted until it was 3 meters in front of them.