Post match: Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea (MMC 26/9/18 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Clyne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Lovren

• Moreno

• Fabinho

• Keita

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Milner [off 57’]

• Sturridge [GOAL 59’]

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Mane [off 70’]

• Shaqiri

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • Henderson [on 59’]

• Firmino [on 70’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NZred

The Red From NZ
24 hours later and I am still confused about 2 things.

1. How they came to the conclusion that the goal wasn't office, after seeing replays that clearly indicated 3 players that were all involved in the play and movement were clearly offside

and 2. After all the personal changes and improvements made to the squad, Moreno is still a FUCKING LIVERPOOL PLAYER. Dude is a disgrace to the red shirt.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
24 hours later and I am still confused about 2 things.

1. How they came to the conclusion that the goal wasn't office, after seeing replays that clearly indicated 3 players that were all involved in the play and movement were clearly offside

and 2. After all the personal changes and improvements made to the squad, Moreno is still a FUCKING LIVERPOOL PLAYER. Dude is a disgrace to the red shirt.
2. I don’t think Moreno is that bad. Not top class, but I’d have no problem starting him against Cardiff and letting Robbo have a week off.

Don’t forget he was next to Lovren. Put him next to Van Dijk and his issues would be less exposed.

If it is we'll lose. Nailed on. There's still a massive lack of cuntishness in this team, a lack of the dark arts, we're just too nice. Add to that the fact we're an easy target for corrupt officials who want to show how fucking big their balls are.
If things aren't going our way I'd love it for someone to put Hazard out for 6 months, one for every time he's fucking cheated us in the past. Wont happen though.
A big concern of mine too; we've got to learn to mix it better, but Refs seem to love to pull us up for nothing, no telling what they'll do if we step up. The rest of the league still love to hate us too, judging the comments on the BBC this morning, there was some super smugness that we lost and its deserved because we're so arrogant in fancying the quadruple :shocked:

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
W
If it is we'll lose. Nailed on. There's still a massive lack of cuntishness in this team, a lack of the dark arts, we're just too nice. Add to that the fact we're an easy target for corrupt officials who want to show how fucking big their balls are.
If things aren't going our way I'd love it for someone to put Hazard out for 6 months, one for every time he's fucking cheated us in the past. Wont happen though.
This match was the opportunity and someone *cough*Fabinho*cough* should have done it. Go right through the little fuck, like a knife through butter

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Isn't this by definition a 'studs up' challenge by Keita? Made contact with the ball directly with his studs which, to my understanding, is 'studs up'. Then followed through with stepping on Moses's foot.

Sometimes play on, sometimes just a free kick. Sometimes a yellow card. We got the harshest of the penalties but its not a 'shocking' decision like some of you are making it out to be.

Sure, its shit that for like the second game in 2 weeks we have a ref half a field away making a decision on something a ref right next to the action doesn't call, but it doesn't make the actual decision appalling.
The image you have posted is misleading.

This clearly shows that Keita does not lunge at moses, or makes contact with his foot, but rather moses clatters into Keita after the ball has gone.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I watched it like 20 times in slow mo and he definitely doesn't make contact with Moses' upper leg, but he still 100% makes contact with the ball via the bottom of his foot, THEN steps on his foot.
Isn't that the key, one is clearing the ball while the other is a sliding tackle?

jredp

as soon as I saw the result, I knew Moreno was playing. Couldn't watch it 'live', and just saw the result after the game. Cannot comment on how he played, but I feel he doesn't give the players enough confidence to be relied on. So the others have to cover for him constantly, thus inhibiting their regular playing level.
End of mini rant

jredp

P.S.
only now reading through the forum pages and see that from some posters comments, I was right about my post on Moreno
I know he is a OFC player, but surely, there is a level to attain that position. Sadly Moreno doesn't even come close. Sevilla are still laughing at us.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

This clearly shows that Keita does not lunge at moses, or makes contact with his foot, but rather moses clatters into Keita after the ball has gone.
Sure the image is misleading, like every single still image of a tackle in the universe. But I didn't mislead with what I typed. Keita had his leg raised a bit, studs to the ball, made no contact with Moses' upper leg but did with his follow through onto Moses' foot. Its then up to the rules to decide if that constitutes no foul, a foul or a card. I just don't think its as clear cut as the 50 posts before mine that it was a shocking decision from the ref, and to stop the momentum that inevitably builds in these sorts of threads where if an opinion of like-minded people is expressed enough times people think its fact. That is all.

Last edited:

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin

You are right, it's not a foul, but the misleading pic was taken from the same angle as the ref's, hence him giving it. I don't think it has anything to do with the ref being corrupt as some call it. It's just a bad call, as happens many times when a bad ref like Friend is in charge. Yeah, the key decisions went against us, but during the game, I couldn't detect any obvious biaseness from the ref to be fair.

More importantly, our lads could still have defended a lot better on the resulting free-kick in order to avoid that goal. That for me was far more problematic, and a reminder of how badly we dealt with incoming free-kicks roughly a year ago, with the same defensive line-up. With Allisson, Robbo, VVD, Gomez and TAA in the team, there is 99% chance that this goal doesn't happen.

Same for the second goal by the way. The way Moreno gets fooled by Hazard isn't great to say the least, and where is Mignolet on that shot from a tight angle? Hazard's trickery on this action is a great individual performance, but the goal could still have been avoided with a bit more defensive quality in front of him.

I actually don't think he is any worse than most players. Hendo hacked him down a couple of times.

Hand on heart you can't say our group are one jot better than any other side. I don't doubt every training ground in the country practises going down (diving) convincingly. I hate the argument that he was "entitled" to go down because he felt contact. A couple of our regular posters always use that as justification for our players toppling over but scream blue murder when opponents do the same.

Someone even defended Keita last night for the blatant dive in the area.
You're right about Keita and he should have been yellow carded. As for Hazard nobody is going to convince me he's much maligned for 'falling over'. Good as he is he is a diver with most of his dives being awarded free kicks within shooting distance of the opposition's box. It has to be said that there are serial divers in the Premier League and Edtheball Hazard is the boss one amongst them.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
It was the glaring inconsistency from Friend between decisions for each side that made it obvious (to me at least) that he was actively trying to influence the outcome of the match. It was so obvious that I have absolutely no doubt that he was doing that. As far as our performance goes well its very difficult to judge when you are up against officiating like that.

The side that we put out was not first choice, neither was Chelsea’s. 12 months ago the difference in quality would have been obvious. In this match it certainly wasn’t and that shows how far we’ve come in a relatively short time. Some posters seem to take pleasure in focussing on the negatives.

2. I don’t think Moreno is that bad. Not top class, but I’d have no problem starting him against Cardiff and letting Robbo have a week off.

Don’t forget he was next to Lovren. Put him next to Van Dijk and his issues would be less exposed.
Is Albie good enough to be in the first eleven, whether league or cup match, and I would have to say no. I also agree with your take on him being exposed by Lovren, so is he good enough to start in our first eleven, and again I would have to say no. It has to be remembered that both goals came from Albie's wing, although no blame can be put his way. The free kick awarded for Naby's tackle was harsh seeing as the first phase was good and in no way made contact with Moses, but only on the follow through where his foot landed on Moses foot.

The problem was more or less our back line bringing back the horrors of pre-Van Dijk days.

Wilkored08

Friday morning "if they keep Hazard quiet, they will win". So Virg,Robbo and Joego the time has arrived to show that cheating little f*"""" r he's a nobody.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
I don’t think that Moreno is a disgrace to the Liverpool shirt. I think it would be much more appropriate to say that Suarez was with his biting incidents. So let’s not even go down the ‘disgrace’ route.

Moreno tries hard enough and clearly loves the club. Unfortunately he’s still not up to the required playing standard for where we are now. We’ve ‘made do’ for too long now, not just with Moreno but generally. It depends on what impact VvD is having. If he’s allowing other defenders to focus on their own games because of his presence and dominance then no problem. If on the other hand he is helping to cover other defender’s deficiencies then that defender still needs to be replaced.

At the moment I would place Lovren, Gomez and Matip in the first category and Moreno in the second. I like Moreno but as a player we could do better - much better - and more importantly we need to.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Friday morning "if they keep Hazard quiet, they will win". So Virg,Robbo and Joego the time has arrived to show that cheating little f*"""" r he's a nobody.
He is a nobody?? FFS he is in the top 5 players in the PL, maybe even the world at the moment.
And in addition
All of this bullshit about kicking him or going through him is pure annoying. Imagine if Chelsea fans were calling on their players to hack Salah or Firmino. People on Reds forums would be frothing at the mouth.

lillypad_33

TIA New Signing
Friend Enemy and his linesman got this totally wrong IMO. Free kick to Liverpool. Moses nowhere near the ball clatters Keita's after he has won the ball.
Seeing this view makes me even more mad.
Friend simply f'ed it up. He's so close the the play, and just f'ed it up. Moses was out of control. Keita calmly stepped up, knocked the ball away, and was fouled.
The rest is history.

Noo Noo

I've got no issue with the free kick. Keita's foot is raised. ok fine. That's how its done these days. (I'll ignore consistency for a moment which only serves to make me feel worse)

The lack of an offside decision however is truly bemusing especially since they went to VAR. I'm still a bit confused and appalled by it if I'm honest.

JMac8

You're right about Keita and he should have been yellow carded. As for Hazard nobody is going to convince me he's much maligned for 'falling over'. Good as he is he is a diver with most of his dives being awarded free kicks within shooting distance of the opposition's box. It has to be said that there are serial divers in the Premier League and Edtheball Hazard is the boss one amongst them.
I think there are many worse divers in the PL than Hazard. He’s probably the most fouled player but is more Messi than Neymar in his reactions. It’s the serial English divers (Kane, Vardy, Zaha etc) that get a free ride in the media.

That said, I hope Hazard stinks the place out tomo and gets a second yellow for diving

Wilkored08

He is a nobody?? FFS he is in the top 5 players in the PL, maybe even the world at the moment.
And in addition
All of this bullshit about kicking him or going through him is pure annoying. Imagine if Chelsea fans were calling on their players to hack Salah or Firmino. People on Reds forums would be frothing at the mouth.
But he did cheat on Wednesday night, as Henderson touched his shoulder, he fell down as if he'd been shot by a sniper.

Wilkored08

I didn't say that he didn't cheat?
But to call him a nobody is ridicolous. He is a super footballer that we need to manage tomorrow.
No..you didn't get my drift.....we need to make him a nobody on the pitch, on Saturday, he needs to be in someone's pocket throughout the game.

jaffod

And in addition
They wont need their fans to call on them to do it, they'll do it as a matter of routine anyway.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !

He is that bad. in the first half alone he was continually passed by Moses, and kept tripping him,self and/ or Moses up. He is a liability. Robertson is such a huge contrast- he is better at defending by a mile, calmer, is a very good crosser if the ball when he gets forward. and and... I wouldnt let Moreno anywhere near the first team again, rather Milner at Left back ! or even Clyne !