Post match: Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea (MMC 26/9/18 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Clyne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Lovren

• Moreno

• Fabinho

• Keita

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Milner [off 57’]

• Sturridge [GOAL 59’]

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Mane [off 70’]

• Shaqiri

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • Henderson [on 59’]

• Firmino [on 70’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Meh. Only real disappointment is the lack of future game time for our 2nd 11 and fringe players going forward, the sort of thing that hindered development of Woodburn, etc, last year may now apply to Curtis Jones, etc, this season.

First half looked like both teams were playing about 80% intensity, then gradually ramped up in the 2nd half.

If nothing else, this game was a good reminder of how far we’ve come, from the back 5 of little more than a year ago, to that of today. That said, I thought Migs and Matip did ok. Clyne is a player who plays up to his limited abilities. Lovren and Moreno, as always, have me cringing, and hope that for both this is their final season w/ the club.

Fabinho indecisive, and Keita still to find his groove. Sturridge, bar the open goal miss, showing why he is still here, and Shaq continuing to show that he can be a difference maker in our rotation.

On to the Bridge, for the much more important of these two legs against Chelsea.

Commando

You bring up an interesting point here though; for too long we've seen defending as 'doing nothing wrong'. If that's all you ask, Clyne is good.

Defending is about more than that though. Van Dijk isn't good at defending because he does nothing wrong, he's good because he'll go and actively look to dominate the player he's up against. He'll turn them into a bag of shite. Clyne can't do this, and neither can Moreno. Robertson and Trent are so
aggressive that they can. Gomez does it when playing at right back too.

A lack of mistakes does not a good performance make.
Good point. But a lack of mistakes is a building block. Get the clean sheet, take something from that and go forward. What I'm trying to say is "that applies to Clyne". Trent is already far ahead of that.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I’m finding it hard to dislike Hazard. He is just so good to watch and seems a decent spud. I’ve always found it easy to hate our rivals best players past and present- Ronaldo, Rooney, Drogba, Pogba etc.

Give me some ammunition...

apparently, he evicted an orphanage from a london property of his to open a boutique coffee retailer serving single origin beans from cleared amazonian rainforest land, the barista has a moustache, man bun and ironic tatoos, he asks your name, but clearly doesnt care, and scoffs when you ask for a 'flat white'....if your interested you can cycle there on your fixed gear bike and leave it on the rack out the front....

and if thats not enough,

he once cut off (our)Maria in traffic and didnt wave an apology......

Red Ted

If TAA got injured then we always have Fabinho for right back, he was crap tonight, it's understandable & can be excused but let's hope there's a lot more to come from him than that type of performance, it's clear now why Klopp isn't playing him.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
That back five we saw today could possibly be the back five that we will see in the league and CL had Klopp not gone on to buy Van Djik and Alisson coupled with him putting his faith in Robertson, TAA and Gomez.

Clyne is solid but will never offer you anything noteworthy offensively which is key to our play. Moreno for some reason is still at the club. Highlights to us that why we will need to act quickly in the transfer market this winter window to get in quality cover in TAA and Robbo should any one of them get a long-term injury. For me, the left-back position is much more pressing than what's happening on the right. The dropoff in quality between Robbo and Moreno is staggeringly big.

Neukolln

It's only after reading through a few of the posts in this thread that it's just occurred to me how much my opinion on defending has changed recently. In my earlier post I croitcised Nate Clyne for his lack of attacking threat, but it wasn't long ago that my thoughts were "as a defender, defend first, defend second and anything else is a bonus). Looking back on it Nate did nothing wrong tonight. I've just been spoiled by having Trent and Robbo in the team. I take back the things I said about Alberto too. After all he was up against Hazard for a spell late on. I'll reserve my judgement until I see how Trent and Robbo fare against him.
It got me thinking about just how good Robbo and Trent really are and how much they mean to this side, going forward and defensively. When they are not in it is noticeable. And with specific regard to Trent, it REALLY highlights what a special talent he is to be that good at 19.

Custodian

Well done Kloppy, played a side that had a good chance of loosing and succeeded in doing just that ,we dont want distractory competitions whilst we are concentrating on winning the premier league title. Also, this outing serves to suss out a plan for when we meet em in the league,are you with me?

RANG

What is the point of VAR? It clearly showed Barkley was offside but that idiotic cheat Friend chose to ignore it . The sad thing about the result is that there will not be as many chances for fringe players to get a game now.
Barkley was offside. Furthermore, two other blue players were offside clearly and involved by checking space there. It was fu**in stupid decision.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Klopp fuming over the first goal. The linesman didn't give any freekick but a throw in to them. The referee was the one giving the freekick who was further away from the incident. Fucking wanker the ref. He was also not happy with the decision of not calling for offside on their first goal too, which we all knew it was off.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Just watched it

First goal, Barclay is the 3rd player who is offside. Morata still interferes with play. Shit calls everywhere, very lopsided.

9 changes from Saturday, impressive result against a team that is pushing us for first. Chelsea did our-press us got good portions of play, their movement off the ball in possession is so goodthey were able to pass their way out of our weaker press (Did we force a single turnover using it? Think not). That felt to me what was the difference in the matchup. Their vertical pass right up the middle with the square one-touch layoff to Moses killed us.

Let’s call a spade what it is. Moreno is fucking terrible and needs replacing. Danny had a shocker of a match for finishing, but still scored a goodie and he is STILL HEALTHY after a full 90 (that was my positive spin). Mane missed a free header. Our entire back 5 hadn’t a sniff of competitive football in near 6 months and last two times we played a team that talented we lost them both so this shouldn’t have been much of a surprise. Clyne may not have blown the doors off but he was reliable coming back and could have been worse. He is a good backup

Let’s go fuck them up at their house on the weekend. Will be out of the country so looking forward to the highlights on Sunday night

Am I the only one who doesn't care that we're out? Less games now to focus on the actual important competitions in the prem, champions league and even FA cup

Id be more enthusiastic about being punched in the face than watching the league cup

Dutch

Did not see the match, did not care about the result. In fact, there are fewer matches to play and the league cup is unimportant to me anyway.

The result on Saturday is whats counts.

GermanRed

I'd say that was Mignolets last game in a Liverpool shirt.

Would love to be able to say the same about Moreno but Robertson will probably need a rest here and there. Hope nobody is stupid enough to offer him a new contract.

Clyne was never on a world class level. His best time as a Liverpool Player was in the few months when he played behind Mané. By the time he gets back there (IF?) TAA will be at least two levels above him.
-----------
We were one Wijnaldum or one Robertson away from winning yesterdays game easy.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Would love us to sign Hazard. Fantastic player.
I'm just so disappointed it's another year we go out so early.
The league and CL are gonna be so hard to win

Noo Noo

Disappointing game and performance.

Understandably disjointed but Chelsea were better. However, even then we could have been out of site if we had been a little more clinical. Sturridge should have had two for example.

Sturridge and Shaqiri are the only two to come out of that with any credit I think.

Plus a good review of the referee's performance I think.

Keita had a good game, there seemed to be a step up in tenacity and his play quickened; it was he that made the opening for Sturrudge to score.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
where to start?
1) not dissapointed because we legitimately have bigger fish to fry this season
2) however, that said, Klopp lost the game by fielding 9 changes. I can only assume he prioritised.
3) To the game. Cheslki were good but the ref was a disgrace. Fabrigas handball penalty first half ! from there it just got worse.
4) we were disjointed, slow to the ball and not our usual selves.
5) Moreno should be sent to the U23s and sold in January. He is a liability. Lovren made me nervous too. I can forgive Matip as its n only his second game back after a long lay off. Fabinho looks a bit off the pace. Studge's control was worse than ever ! Liked Mane, Shaquiri and Keita. Clyne too- but the rest did themselves no favours.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
where to start?
1) not dissapointed because we legitimately have bigger fish to fry this season
We havent won anything for 11 years we cant say we have bigger fish to fry as we cant even win (whats deemed) the shittest cup - which i would take in a heartbeat. We exist to win trophies and have gone out first hurdle.
The Premier League with City about is gonna be so hard to win - 1 or 2 loses and we will behind and playing catch up. The CL is a lottery and anything can happen.
Leaves the FA Cup which again Id snap your hand off for.
We havent won anything for so long we cant be picky.

I know Klopp has to keep everyone happy but playing that back 5 was suicide. I thought Ming looked OK considering he hasnt played this year. Unlucky with the first the 2nd was a thunderbolt but Moreno was his usual awful self. Matip (whom im not a fan of) looks awful next to Lovren who was himself as rusty as hell.
Clynne was solid defensively but didnt cross halfway line and offered nothing going forward. He is so far behind TAA its unreal.
That back 5 are used to leaking goals and as soon as the free kick - that wasnt a free kick - was given you knew they would concede. Its what that 5 do.

Keita started bright but faded so to Fabinho which is understandable. Henderson came on and lost his head.
Milner had stinker - due one I guess - but I was surprised to see him play.
Did Salah touch the ball? Bobby couldnt get involved when he came on.
Sturridge, Mane and Shaq were our best players.

Im seeing people saying its only Carrabao Cup - but we havent won it since 2011 - so we cant be picky.
I really wanted to win it. Same with FA Cup.
Dont get me wrong if we win League and go out of these cups early id be over the moon but thats a hell of a gamble.
LFC - 1 Trophy in 11 years is simply not good enough,

Last edited:
I know, it's plainly sour grapes, but I think Hazard should join Tottenham Hotspur Diving and Aquatic club. He would even improve the Spurs divers, and that would be saying something. Hazard's a top player and he's proved it by conning referee after referee with his diving skills. He needs only to feel hot breath on his neck to send him tumbling. I say again that he's a great player, but I dislike the little diving fucker.

RodM

Morning after the night before. I'm still a bit disappointed at losing but I generally enjoyed the game aside from the awful inconsistency and generally incomprehensible refereeing.

I was interested to see how our second choice players performed and for the first 30 minutes they looked (understandably) very rusty. After that they looked better (at least the forward players) and the important thing for me is that any of them could deputise for their first choice with the exception of Moreno who seems to lack basic competency. He did have a period early last season where he didn't look like a constant liability but he has just gone backwards hasn't he?

Clearly any of these players would benefit from more game time. The disappointment of dropping out of the League Cup means there is less opportunity for that to happen.

Shaquiri looks a handful and I put him as MOTM again but he does need to be more disciplined. There were a few occasions that a thoughtful pass would have been a better option than hoof it and hope.

The second half was much better and I thought we should have had this game dead and buried by the final quarter. The Chelsea equaliser was frustrating on so many levels: poor refereeing to override his assistant with a better view to give a free kick rather than a throw in ,and was the goal even reviewed by VAR? The Chelsea winner was just class - I would have enjoyed it if it wasn't against us.

I think Klopp will now have to consider how he can get more match minutes for the second choice players to keep them fresh and he really should get rid of Moreno. If we don't have anyone coming through from the under-23s in that position I'd be tempted to look for someone like Klavan - an older experienced professional who is happy to play a bit part and come in when needed.

jaffod

Klopp fuming over the first goal. The linesman didn't give any freekick but a throw in to them. The referee was the one giving the freekick who was further away from the incident. Fucking wanker the ref. He was also not happy with the decision of not calling for offside on their first goal too, which we all knew it was off.
I was stupid enough to think once VAR was in corrupt cunts like Friend, Mason, Moss etc wouldn't be able to shaft us. I was wrong. They just don't care.

Noo Noo

I'm honestly disappointed with the result for a number of reasons.

Another cup opportunity is gone
Chelsea will be confident they can repeat the result.
Loss of the 100% record. While this doesn't mean much it does help to build an air of invincibility when you start off like this. That immediately puts everyone else on the back foot a little. That has now gone.

Only thing to do is absolutely hammer them

Rambler

Bootle Boy
I know, it's plainly sour grapes, but I think Hazard should join Tottenham Hotspur Diving and Aquatic club. He would even improve the Spurs divers, and that would be saying something. Hazard's a top player and he's proved it by conning referee after referee with his diving skills. He needs only to feel hot breath on his neck to send him tumbling. I say again that he's a great player, but I dislike the little diving fucker.
I actually don't think he is any worse than most players. Hendo hacked him down a couple of times.

Hand on heart you can't say our group are one jot better than any other side. I don't doubt every training ground in the country practises going down (diving) convincingly. I hate the argument that he was "entitled" to go down because he felt contact. A couple of our regular posters always use that as justification for our players toppling over but scream blue murder when opponents do the same.

Someone even defended Keita last night for the blatant dive in the area.

YeGra

We havent won anything for 11 years we cant say we have bigger fish to fry as we cant even win (whats deemed) the shittest cup - which i would take in a heartbeat. We exist to win trophies and have gone out first hurdle.
The Premier League with City about is gonna be so hard to win - 1 or 2 loses and we will behind and playing catch up. The CL is a lottery and anything can happen.
Leaves the FA Cup which again Id snap your hand off for.
We havent won anything for so long we cant be picky.

I know Klopp has to keep everyone happy but playing that back 5 was suicide. I thought Ming looked OK considering he hasnt played this year. Unlucky with the first the 2nd was a thunderbolt but Moreno was his usual awful self. Matip (whom im not a fan of) looks awful next to Lovren who was himself as rusty as hell.
Clynne was solid defensively but didnt cross halfway line and offered nothing going forward. He is so far behind TAA its unreal.
That back 5 are used to leaking goals and as soon as the free kick - that wasnt a free kick - was given you knew they would concede. Its what that 5 do.

Keita started bright but faded so to Fabinho which is understandable. Henderson came on and lost his head.
Milner had stinker - due one I guess - but I was surprised to see him play.
Did Salah touch the ball? Bobby couldnt get involved when he came on.
Sturridge, Mane and Shaq were our best players.

Im seeing people saying its only Carrabao Cup - but we havent won it since 2011 - so we cant be picky.
I really wanted to win it. Same with FA Cup.
Dont get me wrong if we win League and go out of these cups early id be over the moon but thats a hell of a gamble.
LFC - 1 Trophy in 11 years is simply not good enough,
The League Cup is inevitably not a priority for the top clubs. All the top sides field their weaker teams. We won it in 2012, and look what happened afterwards? We lost 5 out of our next 6 games, finished 8th, sacked our manager who's a legend at this club, then signed Rodgers and did very little of note the next season.

The League Cup means nothing to me right now. If you were to ask me what game would I want to lose out of our first 8, and you get to win all the others, it would be the one last night. We've had a cracking start to the season. We were always going to have a couple of disappointing nights and the one yesterday was a relatively small one.

We're feared in the league and champions league and we have all to play for in those competitions. The FA Cup is still yet to start.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to win the league Cup but we shouldn't go crazy over it. Winning the league Cup this season will not quench our thirst for trophies after very little the past decade. What will do that is the title or champions league.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Klopp has just given Shaq a bollocking for something. Don’t know what that’s about. I thought he was the best player on the pitch.
I didn’t like klopp and Shaqiri at the end
This was just a typical "unhappy Klopp discussion face" and I guess the players are already used to it. He said it already, he can't change his face in these kind of situations, this is how he is and this is nothing to worry about. It's only "a thing" because he hasn't been like that (in public) for a long time now but I'm sure that our players have seen that face before :J