Post match: Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea (MMC 26/9/18 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Clyne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Lovren

• Moreno

• Fabinho

• Keita

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Milner [off 57’]

• Sturridge [GOAL 59’]

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Mane [off 70’]

• Shaqiri

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • Henderson [on 59’]

• Firmino [on 70’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Understandably disjointed but Chelsea were better.
They started much better and looked far more dangerous but we grew into the game and looked more likely to score by the end of the first half. We dominated the second half apart from the last 10 minutes and we should have been well out of sight by then. And then Friend took over.

We were the better side. And it hurts more to lose to a team that was inferior on the night (especially the chavs) thanks to an inept referee and the usual suspects at the back.

On another note, letting in goals at the last 10 minutes is starting to become somewhat worrisome for me. Spuds, PSG and now the chavs. Ok yesterday maybe it was inevitable considering who was playing but still it's something to be looked at. The first one is offside but it's still bad defending. Their winner was worse; It was brilliant from Hazard, no doubt about it, but ffs he glides past 5 LFC players without any of them putting in a solid attempt to at least bring the fucker down. Like Klopp said, we should have defended much better than that.

Last edited:
So did we find out, whilst the starting 11 might be better than Chelski, and eligible to take the Prem title, our squad and second 11 are still not good enough. Credit for Klopp for a root and branch clear out of the starting 11 in under 3 years, but it seems he'll need another 2 years to reach the required strength in depth for continued dominance. It will be all about keeping this starting 11 fit and running this season.

Gazmaninaus

Didn’t get to watch the game but read about 50 versions. So from them it appears Shaqiri was great while Fabinho was way of the pace. Anyone see how Fab went and what he looked like.

YeGra

Didn’t get to watch the game but read about 50 versions. So from them it appears Shaqiri was great while Fabinho was way of the pace. Anyone see how Fab went and what he looked like.
He was off the pace, but the midfield in general struggled to get a hold on the game though, and I include Milner in that - and he's been our standout player this season. So I wouldn't read too much into it.

Bob8

TIA Youth Team
Just don't understand the negativity in here. I mean yes, I am disappointed that we're out of the cup, but come on, people here are trying to argue we had a shocker of a game and the defense played one of the worst games ever. Ffs we were the better team for the whole game, I can't remember a single time our defence did something terribly wrong other than the Hazard wonder goal, and Moreno wasnt good overall. The ref was a cunt, I mean I can not understand how the first goal was not offside and they had VAR. Did the ref just deny the message from the video assistant or what ? But please, people going on that our second eleven is not good enough, well ours was better than chelseas, who are known to buy players just for the sake of it. Maybe sometimes fans should put the disappointment in perspective and not always have the blame the defence/midfield card ready when we lose. We had something like 5 opportunities to put the game to bed, and we didn't.

Commando

Just don't understand the negativity in here. I mean yes, I am disappointed that we're out of the cup, but come on, people here are trying to argue we had a shocker of a game and the defense played one of the worst games ever. Ffs we were the better team for the whole game, I can't remember a single time our defence did something terribly wrong other than the Hazard wonder goal, and Moreno wasnt good overall. The ref was a cunt, I mean I can not understand how the first goal was not offside and they had VAR. Did the ref just deny the message from the video assistant or what ? But please, people going on that our second eleven is not good enough, well ours was better than chelseas, who are known to buy players just for the sake of it. Maybe sometimes fans should put the disappointment in perspective and not always have the blame the defence/midfield card ready when we lose. We had something like 5 opportunities to put the game to bed, and we didn't.
Just like Jon Moss against the Spuds. Ask the linesman if he saw anything. Linesman says no. Moss, fuck it I'm giving it anyway. Yet him and Friend will be reffing this weekend.

Last edited:

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I think we all know how that defense was going be like, still I'm positive that we were the better side in the battle of the B teams, and they were rescued by their A player, while Salah wasn't on long enough. Would Robertson have dealt better with that threat? Of course. It did very much remind me of seasons past, a midfield carved open a defense caught wrong footed, unnecessary fouls, ill disciplined. And with all that we were the better team for the most part and should have been 3 or 4 up when they scored their off side goal.

I'm quite positive going into the weekend, certain players in my view did show they could develop over time, Fabinho did improve as the game went on and Keita is starting to get better (but needs to cut that dive out). The thing is if you bring these players into our first team they will do better than wholesale replacements.

I wouldn't have played Milner, mind you when he came off it started to fall apart a bit, he did nothing special but I guess that's why I made him MOM.

Noo Noo

I thought it was more of a rusty / disjointed performance rather than one where our players looked inferior. Moreno being the exception I guess.

I'm comfortable with any (bar Moreno and Mignolet) being used in games this season provided Klopp can get the balance and blend better than it was last night. That side is unlikely to play again and it certainly wont in the league. A blend between the first 11 and a few of those that played last night is far more likely.

Keita and Milner are undoubtedly better than their showing last night. You could also see what Fabinho can bring but yes, I agree he's behind tactically and the pace of the PL. Midfield certainly struggled last night and Moses was an outball for Chelsea, in the first half in particular. We got closer to him second half.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Agree about the negativity and the slating of our back 5. Absolute nonsense.

The only player who stood out as just not good enough was Moreno. And so for Klopp to openly berate Shaqiri over a freekick situation immediately after the match is very poor show. Moreno has literally cost us matches and should have been shown the door long ago.

I would try to line up some behind closed doors matches for this side because they simply need to spend more time playing together. Some posters have mind-numbingly short memories. A lot of the players on show last night were first-choice players not that long ago. And the others only joined the club in the summer.

Mignolet (former first choice, first match of season)
Moreno (liability)
Clyne (former first choice, first start of season)
Lovren (former first choice, first match of season/back after injury)
Matip (former first choice, second start of season)
Fabinho (first match of season, joined in summer)
Milner (no need to say anything)
Keita (joined in summer)
Sturridge (former first choice)
Shaqiri (joined in summer, second start of season)

The only players I would even think about getting rid of are the first 3 in the above list and there is no urgency for 1 and 3 on last night’s showing.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Not read any of this yet. Was in the Kop yesterday 2nd row from the top so quite far from the action but i have to say to me the ref seemed to give most things Chelseas way. Loved the experience even though we lost, never heard a crowd so loud before and i've been to Wales/England rugby games so it was thoroughly enjoyable. Even learned a few new songs :-). The loss, whilst not good was still against our second team, i dont see Hazard strolling through our main back 4 like that so can't wait for payback on Saturday.

Didn't get back till after 3am, only just woke up so am now going to find an highlight vid of the game and see if the ref was as biased as thought. Almost the best part of the night was my mrs, who i basically had to force to watch a footie game shouting and singing along and telling me she wants to watch all the games with me from now on. May end up being the worst part though lol

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
There is a bit of an overreaction going on.

The back five was entirely second choice, and didn’t perform too well, but that doesn’t suddenly mean our depth is shit. We should ever have to rest the entire first choice defence in one go - that’s what we did last night.

Any one of Moreno, Clyne, Matip and Lovren could come into the first team and do OK. If all four of them come in at once, then obviously there is going to a noticeable drop in quality.

The only one who played last night that I never want to see in the first team again is Mignolet, and ironically he didn’t do anything g wrong last night.

FGred

I think we all know how that defense was going be like, still I'm positive that we were the better side in the battle of the B teams, and they were rescued by their A player, while Salah wasn't on long enough. Would Robertson have dealt better with that threat? Of course. It did very much remind me of seasons past, a midfield carved open a defense caught wrong footed, unnecessary fouls, ill disciplined. And with all that we were the better team for the most part and should have been 3 or 4 up when they scored their off side goal.

I'm quite positive going into the weekend, certain players in my view did show they could develop over time, Fabinho did improve as the game went on and Keita is starting to get better (but needs to cut that dive out). The thing is if you bring these players into our first team they will do better than wholesale replacements.

I wouldn't have played Milner, mind you when he came off it started to fall apart a bit, he did nothing special but I guess that's why I made him MOM.
I agree with you i am positive about this weekend the only worry i have it is the same suspects reffing we know we are not going to get any decision our way therefore we will have to score many goals to make it impossible for them to come back with the refs help, i thought whoever was in the VAR room didn’t want to give us shitall as well

redaderry

I don't like us going out of any competition and i hate losing to the plastic wanks but in the fresh light of today, if we have to drop one domestic competition, this is the one. And if we're going to go out, do it early on.
I'm off now to respond to some smug fuck texts from plastic fans last evening.

Limiescouse

I think we all know how that defense was going be like, still I'm positive that we were the better side in the battle of the B teams, and they were rescued by their A player, while Salah wasn't on long enough. .
This. I read a report this morning that was written from the perspective of last showing Chelsea have the strength in depth needed to mount a title challenge while we still rely on our core players too much. Yet the entire first paragraph was about the benefit of having a player like Hazard that can pull a game out of the hat for you.

We had several players playing their first meaningful minutes of the season and we looked exactly as we'd expect to look. Despite that it still took an incredibly difficult refereeing performance and a cameo from their best player to get them the win. With no change in performance but just a different series of outcomes of things outside of our control, we are 3 goals up by the time Hazard even comes on. Does that still demonstrate our second choices are too weak?

As for your comment on Milner, I think the idea was he was the best player we had to help an otherwise new midfield unit through the game. As long as his legs were fine I think it was a sound decision.

Red over the water

I’m gutted to be out so soon, as we haven’t won a trophy in way too long and that’s a competition gone now, and also we need opportunities for the back up players to find their rhythm. I hate losing any game, but it’s the fourth priority and my reaction will be tempered by that.

As for the performance, we were good enough to win. We were a bit wasteful in a few promising situations, Sturridge missed a sitter, the ref seemed biased, and their first goal was dodgy.

Chelsea are a good team and as such it can go either way against them. They got the result last night helped by a great goal from a fired up Hazard. On our end that was our reserve back five, and it showed. No authority in the middle (I’m convinced VVD would have headed their first goal clear) and Moreno is a long way from Robertson’s level. Mignolet wasn’t too bad, and Clupyne, while limited going forward, wasn’t too bad either after missing so much football.

Fine margins and we should have won but didn’t. Hopefully it will make a win at their place on Saturday all the more sweet.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
I can honestly say that I couldn't care less about going out of that competition , and the earlier the better. The last thing we need is two-legged ties next year fucking up our prospects for the Prem and the CL. I also think that losing here makes it more likely we'll take all three points at Stamford Bridge. We have every right to feel aggrieved by the refereeing last night and that will give us even more reason to show these who the better team really is. Sarri was right when he said they are at least a year behind us , and without Hazard they would be nowhere near us.

This. I read a report this morning that was written from the perspective of last showing Chelsea have the strength in depth needed to mount a title challenge while we still rely on our core players too much. Yet the entire first paragraph was about the benefit of having a player like Hazard that can pull a game out of the hat for you.

We had several players playing their first meaningful minutes of the season and we looked exactly as we'd expect to look. Despite that it still took an incredibly difficult refereeing performance and a cameo from their best player to get them the win. With no change in performance but just a different series of outcomes of things outside of our control, we are 3 goals up by the time Hazard even comes on. Does that still demonstrate our second choices are too weak?

As for your comment on Milner, I think the idea was he was the best player we had to help an otherwise new midfield unit through the game. As long as his legs were fine I think it was a sound decision.

You talking about the Odgen article on ESPN? I thought it was a terrible article. If anything last night showed our depth is there to compete for a title.

Limiescouse

You talking about the Odgen article on ESPN? I thought it was a terrible article. If anything last night showed our depth is there to compete for a title.
Precisely the one. He started off as a blogger for Utd related content, and those are always terrible (including the Usher and Pryce ones for us), but he looks to have been given a more general brief these days, but his perspective still seems really clouded by his fandom.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I was stupid enough to think once VAR was in corrupt cunts like Friend, Mason, Moss etc wouldn't be able to shaft us. I was wrong. They just don't care.
The problem with VAR which I think was discussed extensively during the World Cup is down to the decision making. It's still down to the referee to make that call. I think after the fact review is needed, to ensure the referee don't fuck up all the time. Or maybe as you say, it's just super corrupt.

So our reserves got beat by Chelsea reserves by a very small margin.
Disappointing because it's evident that our reserves need to gain match fitness, so that they can come into the 1st team when required, and the only way they would manage that is playing in 'silly' cup games.
Makes things more difficult for Klopp as he now has to think of putting these players in the 1st team for 'real' competion matches now and again so that they can get up to speed.
Btw that back 5 looks horrid on paper let alone on the field. Lovren and Matip have never, and probably will never, have a reasonable understanding. Clyne looks like a nervous dog playing on the park and Moreno .........
Funny how either Matip or Lovren can play alongside our big VVD (well I include Matip due to the last league match but we haven't seen them together much have we?)

Noo Noo

The problem with VAR which I think was discussed extensively during the World Cup is down to the decision making. It's still down to the referee to make that call. I think after the fact review is needed, to ensure the referee don't fuck up all the time. Or maybe as you say, it's just super corrupt.
Indeed, if last proves anything it shows that ultimately many of the referee's calls in the game are a matter of opinion. That's still a little bit screwed up for my liking, particularly when it comes to offside. While I concede that in many instances the game simply requires the referee to provide a judgement on a incident but surely the rules should be written in a manner to assist the referee and make things as black and white as possible?

It's also frustrating that even with last nights VAR incident I don't know why the goal was allowed to stand. I can assume that the referee "considered" that these players were not interfering (opinion) but that decision didn't come over on the stream I was watching.

I'm still not happy we lost.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Not overly bothered by this. Of course, I wanted us to win but if we had of progressed we could have been playing a two-legged semi in January so this could well turn into a blessing in disguise if we do the business in the league and CL.

Thought our defence was quite decent in the main,Migs did really well and Clyney looked sharp.Fab and Lovren were clearly rusty but I thought Keita was excellent.I wasnt impressed with Powercube's efforts on goal,his two efforts miles over, maybe he's trying to impress Hope too much?

Imo, the worst defender/player on the pitch by a country mile was Christensen, I thought he was horrendous and a complete liability and I hope he plays at the weekend.

Just hope we can gain revenge at the weekend and a decent ref.Friend is certainly no friend of ours. He hates us doesn't he? Bastard. Loved the way Henderson was giving that diving little shit Hazard and the arsehole ref grief. Was thoroughly deserved in my book.

Now lads, get revenge and the 3 points at the weekend. I reckon Hendo will be after Hazard's blood.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Loved the way Henderson was giving that diving little shit Hazard and the arsehole ref grief. Was thoroughly deserved in my book.
Given the wry smile on Hazard's face, I think he was pretty happy that he conned first Hendo into the challenge, then the ref. Little shit but smart, and given how impotent their midfield is, is one of the few in that team that can affect the result on the weekend.

And after that, Kante worldie incoming :-(

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I can’t help being surprised ( although I shouldn’t be) that none of the media narrative has touched on the refereeing. I’m struggling to remember a more transparently biased display.

I’m quietly confident we’ll batter them on Saturday.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Lovren and Matip have never, and probably will never, have a reasonable understanding.
Rounds 10-22 17/18 say hi! :wave:

I also assume you are having a laugh when you suggest Klopp will play reserves just to keep them match fit. Regardless of whether they are impressing the manager in training right?