Post match: Liverpool 1-2 Chelsea (MMC 26/9/18 7.45pm)

Man of the Match

• Mignolet

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Clyne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matip

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Lovren

• Moreno

• Fabinho

• Keita

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Milner [off 57’]

• Sturridge [GOAL 59’]

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Mane [off 70’]

• Shaqiri

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • Henderson [on 59’]

• Firmino [on 70’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I also assume you are having a laugh when you suggest Klopp will play reserves just to keep them match fit. Regardless of whether they are impressing the manager in training right?
I did not suggest that at all, are you for real?

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I can’t help being surprised ( although I shouldn’t be) that none of the media narrative has touched on the refereeing. I’m struggling to remember a more transparently biased display.

I’m quietly confident we’ll batter them on Saturday.
I think they got most of the 50-50's their way but let's not pretend that the yellow cards handed out to us early on were undeserving. Every one handed to us in the first half was the correct call. There was a poor tackle from Kovacic when we were breaking which 100% should have been a yellow. For the first time in forever I agree with Carra in that Cuntface Barkley did get the ball first during that tackle in the middle of the park. Just wished our players showed more restraint in giving away professional fouls so early on, like Chelsea managed to do, as it never helps later in the game when you have to stay out of challenges because of it (Keita vs Hazard before he scored).

Second half was a clusterfuck from the ref though. No excuses for that.

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
There is a bit of an overreaction going on.

The back five was entirely second choice, and didn’t perform too well, but that doesn’t suddenly mean our depth is shit. We should ever have to rest the entire first choice defence in one go - that’s what we did last night.

Any one of Moreno, Clyne, Matip and Lovren could come into the first team and do OK. If all four of them come in at once, then obviously there is going to a noticeable drop in quality.

The only one who played last night that I never want to see in the first team again is Mignolet, and ironically he didn’t do anything g wrong last night.
Points well made.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think they got most of the 50-50's their way but let's not pretend that the yellow cards handed out to us early on were undeserving. Every one handed to us in the first half was the correct call. There was a poor tackle from Kovacic when we were breaking which 100% should have been a yellow. For the first time in forever I agree with Carra in that Cuntface Barkley did get the ball first during that tackle in the middle of the park. Just wished our players showed more restraint in giving away professional fouls so early on, like Chelsea managed to do, as it never helps later in the game when you have to stay out of challenges because of it (Keita vs Hazard before he scored).

Second half was a clusterfuck from the ref though. No excuses for that.
The Kovacic one was the first incident of note. He deliberately pulled back Shaq to stop a break. No yellow. Milner did the same about five minutes later and got a card.

That pretty much set the tone.

There were two clear handballs in the first half. Fabregas touches the ball with his hand in the box which he has held out from his body, and then almost catches the ball when it’s fired at him. Both are close to him, but he motions with his hands towards the ball so should be a penalty.

Then Keita is carded when cleanly and safely winning the ball, and there are two or three players offside from the resulting free kick when Chelsea score. I’m not even convinced Friend waits for the VAR verdict.

I’m struggling to remember a referee coming to Anfield with a more obvious agenda to show they are not going to be influenced by Anfield.

Neukolln

I’m gutted to be out so soon, as we haven’t won a trophy in way too long and that’s a competition gone now, and also we need opportunities for the back up players to find their rhythm. I hate losing any game, but it’s the fourth priority and my reaction will be tempered by that.
Very much this. Well stated. My disappointment stems from this now being one less opportunity for squad players to earn minutes and game time situations. I recognize this particular competition (and trophy) doesn't carry much esteem, but it's still English football and an opportunity for backup players to keep active and keeping morale high. Above all that, I don't like when Liverpool loses ANY game! :-)

The absence of any sort of criticism on Friends performance is really shocking as well as the VAR bullshit,is there possibly rules on criticising officials from the broadcasters or is it simply pundits have no balls at all,it's starting to get harder and harder not to think there's a real effort by some to completely scupper our chances of doing really well,i thought a few would jump on it simply because it was so stupidly and bizarrely fucking wrong being almost comedic,incredible really.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
The absence of any sort of criticism on Friends performance is really shocking as well as the VAR bullshit,is there possibly rules on criticising officials from the broadcasters or is it simply pundits have no balls at all,it's starting to get harder and harder not to think there's a real effort by some to completely scupper our chances of doing really well,i thought a few would jump on it simply because it was so stupidly and bizarrely fucking wrong being almost comedic,incredible really.
I agree. I don't understand how Fiend [sic] got away with disregarding the linesman, who gave a throw in and not a foul, and the subsequent VAR evidence. Barkley was clearly shown to be in an offside position when the ball is struck, and he becomes active when he heads the ball. The goal should have been disallowed. That it was allowed to stand compounded the felony of awarding a free kick and yellow card for a fair tackle.

Macolfc

Just to confirm, was the first goal originally given as a throw in before Friend pulled it back for a FK? I was in the bottom half of the kop so struggled to see what went on. Another mention on Friend, he was a shambles. Surely a Chelsea shirt tucked away somewhere at home looking at that performance.

Watched Klopps post match interview & he seemed like he didn’t give a flying fuck, actually looked quite happy to be out. Fair enough we’ve got the Premier League, Champions league & FA cup which are more important & probably in that order. But silverware is silverware & we should of taken our chances. Listening to talk sport on the way home & they mentioned how early Chelsea brought on Hazard & how late we brought on Salah. Maybe should of been brought straight on at 1-1 to try nick the winner before the end instead of giving him 3 minutes.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I suspect that the lack of noise from the club about the refereeing standards at Anfield is also contributing towards that. Klopp does criticise their decisions but he goes out of his way to being as respectful as possible. Which would be absolutely fine, if the team participated in a gentleman's league. But that's hardly the case. Alongside the Allardyces and the Mourinhos there is perhaps the most inept and hapless set of officials among Europe's premier leagues.

I think that it would be best for Klopp or some other LFC official to really express what they think about the level of the officiating and if it results in a ban or a fine, so be it. It would be for the good of the team. At the very least it would turn the spotlight onto these imbeciles and put them under pressure. They'd think twice before going on a crusade at Anfield for the opposing team.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
For the first time in forever I agree with Carra in that Cuntface Barkley did get the ball first during that tackle in the middle of the park.
If you're talking about the tackle on Keita, the rule book stated that a player tackles with studs up to shin level is a bookable offence as dangerous play regardless of you catching the ball first on 50-50 duel, and watch it carefully, his studs were showing. The referee played his part well yesterday, as a Chelsea additional player.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think that it would be best for Klopp or some other LFC official to really express what they think about the level of the officiating and if it results in a ban or a fine, so be it. It would be for the good of the team. At the very least it would turn the spotlight onto these imbeciles and put them under pressure. They'd think twice before going on a crusade at Anfield for the opposing team.
You mean like this?
Klopp, whose side’s 100 per cent start had featured seven wins in all competitions, continued: “So I don’t feel bad, because it was only unlucky. You have a free-kick that was maybe no free-kick. And the other one – maybe in the future when you use VAR then you say: ‘OK, that’s offside’.

“I don’t expect using in situations like this the VAR, to be honest. But if you use it, make a decision.”

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Given the wry smile on Hazard's face, I think he was pretty happy that he conned first Hendo into the challenge, then the ref. Little shit but smart, and given how impotent their midfield is, is one of the few in that team that can affect the result on the weekend.

And after that, Kante worldie incoming :-(
Not sure how mate but you quoted me by quoting a part of SirBills post. I actually agree with both of you, just dont wanna take credit for Sirbills post :-)

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Just to confirm, was the first goal originally given as a throw in before Friend pulled it back for a FK? I was in the bottom half of the kop so struggled to see what went on. Another mention on Friend, he was a shambles. Surely a Chelsea shirt tucked away somewhere at home looking at that performance.
Correct. The linesman, who was on top of the incident awarded a throw.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

This is what I want to see from the FA and Ref team. Moses went in without the possession of the ball while Keita was the one hitting the ball out. Initial reaction to the referee was to follow what the linesman indicated, only to have changed his mind a few seconds later. The entire night, I was bitching about the ref's decision, from the start to the end. He was extremely one-sided.

Macolfc

Piss take that the ref actually agrees with the linesmen that suddenly pulls it back. It’s like something clicks in his head ‘oh shit forgot about that 50k I was getting, better give a freekick’

I’m guessing most people have seen JK’s post match interview, does it actually annoy anyone else how happy he seems? I struggle to get to Anfield for league games on a weekend, strangely it’s easier for me get down on a week day. So I always make sure I join all the cup schemes at the start of the season to make sure I attend at least a hand full of games. Apart from the CL where I’m guaranteed at least 3 games, I’m sat hoping for home draws in the FA & league cup and hopefully a good run in it. For me I travel down from Durham, with costs of tickets, food, drink & diesel It could easily cost me £100. Last night wasn’t so bad as my ticket was £16.

Just leaves me a little annoyed when Klopp seems like he doesn’t care one bit, 50,000 people inside Anfield last who all spent there money to see us win. Im obviously not saying that because we pay money we should always win, I just expect us to care & try our best.

RANG

I think we all know how that defense was going be like, still I'm positive that we were the better side in the battle of the B teams, and they were rescued by their A player, while Salah wasn't on long enough. Would Robertson have dealt better with that threat? Of course. It did very much remind me of seasons past, a midfield carved open a defense caught wrong footed, unnecessary fouls, ill disciplined. And with all that we were the better team for the most part and should have been 3 or 4 up when they scored their off side goal.

I'm quite positive going into the weekend, certain players in my view did show they could develop over time, Fabinho did improve as the game went on and Keita is starting to get better (but needs to cut that dive out). The thing is if you bring these players into our first team they will do better than wholesale replacements.

I wouldn't have played Milner, mind you when he came off it started to fall apart a bit, he did nothing special but I guess that's why I made him MOM.
Agree. I expect to destroy them at their home Saturday. Both B teams were struggling but home team players were better through three quarters. I believe the difference between A and B of Liverpool squad is bigger than Chelsea's one. The blues are nothing without Hazard.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
This is what I want to see from the FA and Ref team. Moses went in without the possession of the ball while Keita was the one hitting the ball out. Initial reaction to the referee was to follow what the linesman indicated, only to have changed his mind a few seconds later. The entire night, I was bitching about the ref's decision, from the start to the end. He was extremely one-sided.
Isn't this by definition a 'studs up' challenge by Keita? Made contact with the ball directly with his studs which, to my understanding, is 'studs up'. Then followed through with stepping on Moses's foot.

Sometimes play on, sometimes just a free kick. Sometimes a yellow card. We got the harshest of the penalties but its not a 'shocking' decision like some of you are making it out to be.

Sure, its shit that for like the second game in 2 weeks we have a ref half a field away making a decision on something a ref right next to the action doesn't call, but it doesn't make the actual decision appalling.

Isn't this by definition a 'studs up' challenge by Keita? Made contact with the ball directly with his studs which, to my understanding, is 'studs up'. Then followed through with stepping on Moses's foot.

Sometimes play on, sometimes just a free kick. Sometimes a yellow card. We got the harshest of the penalties but its not a 'shocking' decision like some of you are making it out to be.

Sure, its shit that for like the second game in 2 weeks we have a ref half a field away making a decision on something a ref right next to the action doesn't call, but it doesn't make the actual decision appalling.
Personally think that's a bad angle of it in that pic so looks slightly more head on than it was.Moses does come across into the foots direction.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Personally think that's a bad angle of it in that pic so looks slightly more head on than it was.Moses does come across into the foots direction.
I watched it like 20 times in slow mo and he definitely doesn't make contact with Moses' upper leg, but he still 100% makes contact with the ball via the bottom of his foot, THEN steps on his foot.

I watched it like 20 times in slow mo and he definitely doesn't make contact with Moses' upper leg, but he still 100% makes contact with the ball via the bottom of his foot, THEN steps on his foot.
It's a fifty fifty ball that Moses loses because he was slower to react,natural collisions that occur after a fair go at the ball are fair game for me unless it's a deliberate follow through.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
It's a fifty fifty ball that Moses loses because he was slower to react,natural collisions that occur after a fair go at the ball are fair game for me unless it's a deliberate follow through.
Keita is actually standing still. Moses clatters into him.

Besides, I’d have no problem with Keita getting a yellow, if he’d also shown Barkley one for his studs up one.

The problem isn’t the decisions, it’s the consistency.

jaffod

I can’t help being surprised ( although I shouldn’t be) that none of the media narrative has touched on the refereeing. I’m struggling to remember a more transparently biased display.

I’m quietly confident we’ll batter them on Saturday.
Maybe because nobody at good old Liverpool ever calls any of these cunts out publicly. I said before the season started Klopp needed to clamp down on this shite from day 1 otherwise we'd end up in a situation like last season where we were getting shafted on a weekly basis.
The first few home games domestically have seen a depressingly familiar trend. Both West Ham and Brighton should have had a man sent off and then we were treated to Friend at his best last night.
We continue to be too nice both on and off the pitch. I genuinely believe we wont win another pot until this is addressed.

jaffod

Might as well change the rules so a player can't lift his foot more than an inch off the turf, call it shuffleball or something.