• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-3 Swansea (League Cup)

OhYaBeauty

That was a terrible performance, not just because of the loss, not just because the players lacked fight, but because on top of that, we didn't stick to our guns and play passing football. We went down one, got desperate, and let them finish us off.

Absolutely freaking terrible. Joe Cole needs to be taken out behind the barn and shot.

frugtkompot

TIA Reserve Team
Pitiful. Well, at least Swansea showed us how to play pass and move.

The trick's in the moving. We're not so good at it.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
So, Swansea, like many other supposed small clubs, have now made a habit of coming to Anfield and walk off with a result.

It's a disgrace, there is no other way to put it across. Talk about Fortress Anfield... That's only a thing of the past now I'm afraid, certainly nothing to do anymore with present times...

Take it away, people, but keep it civil please.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Only saw bits and bobs and have to agree with OhYaBeauty - gave up on our system that works in search of the equalizer. Shame as this was a good chance at a trophy for us.

Joe Cole and Downing once again not good enough.

Suarez scores again - he's banging them in but conceding too many

RJK

The upside is we may never have to witness Carragher in a Liverpool shirt again

OhYaBeauty

Brad Jones played well, though. Can't really be blamed for any of the goals he let in, unless you blame him for mismanaging his defense, which I don't. Coates allowed a free header and there was nothing could be done about the other two.

Well done, Brad

rockafella

TIA Squad Member
Not overly surprising though. Anfield has been one of the easiest, if not the easiest, places to get a result the past year. Add in the likes of Cole and Downing started, its almost an inevitability.

lfc.8

Truly pathetic. Absolute dire performance. Swansea ffs. Should of fielded a stronger line up. Not good enough.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Another shop window performance from Cole and Downing. Granted it was an Oxfam shop...

Playing either of those two ahead of Pacheco was a poor decision.

Not going to complain about being out of the League Cup, not really arsed with it and we have bigger fish to fry. But can't help be worried about our shockingly thin squad, our inability to put the ball in the net, and lack of character. Rodgers has his work cut out, and I think he needs to stop babying this lot. Hairdryer treatment definitely needed for some.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
What was that Brendan said about wanting to make Anfield a real fortress which makes teams scared, its not really happening is it!

OhYaBeauty

The upside is we may never have to witness Carragher in a Liverpool shirt again
That's a bit unfair. True he doesn't have the pace any more. So I suppose he can be faulted for the last two goals. But I blame the last two on the system, or rather our lack of adherence to it. We lost the ball far too easily with too many men forward. There was no way he (or many other central defenders) were going to make it back in time. That's what's effective about counterattacking football.

When Swansea weren't on the break, Carra was great. Key tackles (and good ones), interceptions and blocked shots. He was pretty good, aside from the lack of pace...

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Truly pathetic. Absolute dire performance. Swansea ffs. Should of fielded a stronger line up. Not good enough.
No. We don't have a balanced squad capable of competing in four competitions. It would be a mistake to think otherwise. The worst thing BR did tonight was bring on Suarez at the half, but I think we know now why Yesil is not getting any time in the league.

Hope in your heart

Admin
Another shop window performance from Cole and Downing. Granted it was an Oxfam shop...

Playing either of those two ahead of Pacheco was a poor decision.

Not going to complain about being out of the League Cup, not really arsed with it and we have bigger fish to fry. But can't help be worried about our shockingly thin squad, our inability to put the ball in the net, and lack of character. Rodgers has his work cut out, and I think he needs to stop babying this lot. Hairdryer treatment definitely needed for some.
You're so right about Pacheco. The lad will feel like puking tonight after seeing us display that kind of performance, and he will have every right to feel aggrieved. I very much blame BR for making favouritism and looking past players who could help the squad in order to play completely useless players (especially Cole and Downing).

alphakilo

TIA Regular
I know we're not supposed to blame any single individual, but....I would put it all on Joe Cole. He was that one missing player out of 11.

You're so right about Pacheco. The lad will feel like puking tonight after seeing us display that kind of performance, and he will have every right to feel aggrieved. I very much blame BR for making favouritism and looking past players who could help the squad in order to play completely useless players (especially Cole and Downing).
I think Downing was okay tonight, especially in comparison to Cole. And Pacheco wouldn't have been able to do as well out wide.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Better 2nd half. Cole plays like coal, a sack of it that is. I thought Jones did well, made some good stops and had no chance for the goals. Fucking Downing, sidefoot the thing in the open net for christ sake.
Lucas we miss you man. Should be first name on the sheet when fit. Michu? Just shows that good players can be had without laying out huge wedges of cash. Hes big, mobile, good with it at his feet and a goal threat in a footballing team....Everything our 35MIL loanee player isnt. Someone wants shooting over that deal.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
At least there was no extra time, hoping it will be a kick up the arse for Sunday's game when our first choice defence will be back.

Our lack of a proper replacement for Lucas was once again highlighted tonight, something that needs to be addressed in January. Even Allen was poor tonight, conceding possession in dangerous areas. We let them play and they ripped through us at will.

That performance was about as disappointing as Joe Cole.

Brad Jones-MOTM, says it all.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Well this is a match we can't blame our horrid lack of attacking depth on. Seems like we have depth problems at the back of the pitch too.

We were outplayed. Unfortunate but I guess it happens. Hopefully we learn a lesson from this and it helps us be a better team in the league and the other cups this season.

Hope in your heart

Admin
Paraphrasing Dane after Laudrup was appointed at Swansea:

Can't help but feeling that we got the bride-maid in this affair...
How accurate is this comment in the light of this encounter?

yiannos33

Believe
Man city barely beat Swansea with a strong team. We played with Cole, Carra, Downing which wouldn't make the swans bench.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
How far have we fallen...

Swansea strolled to the victory. It was embarrassing watching Swansea teaching us a lesson on how to press and how to pass. That second goal epitomised the whole game. Us chasing shadows. Did we win a single 50-50 ball ?

Extremely disappointing performance.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
We came not to play.

But those who came, were not exactly "ready" players (with the exception of Allen). They are called our subs, or our 2nd string. But would they be the 2nd string at another big club (or any PL club)?

No.

Why so many expected us to field our 2nd string and beat our masters, I have no idea. Folks should visit the pre-match thread and take a look at the excitemennt that's there when talking about starting with Yesil and Robinson-like players. Kool-aid tastes pretty good after you drink enough of it.

What I don't like though, is that I'll have to read this threads comments and I sense it'll be like:

"they need to shape up"

"they don't take this seriously"

"they didn't perfom and BR needs to really let them have it"

That would be bad. And unfair, to tell your baby under-age brother he's not worth a dime.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
The only positive is that we have fewer competitions to play in with a small squad.

There is one thing bugging me though. Are we in this position because FSG are trying to balance the books with an over cautious approach to buying in Top talent or is it Brendans preference to work with young up and coming players who are easier to manage than overpaid prema donas? January will be interesting. Will we see a couple of big name signings?....I doubt it my guess is more "up and coming talent"