POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-3 Swansea (League Cup)

Odin_telamon

Remembering the 96
As do I! Much more pleasant this way.
And cheers to you as well. I don't think it's much of a secret that we didn't particularly care for one another last time around, but I appreciate that you take the time to actually discuss your opinions even when I disagree with them.
touche,it would be boring if everyone agreed,and although I don't agree with everything you say,but I do acknowledge your viewpoint...and your posts are always well received by me mate so no worries...good to have you back :D

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
One thing I definitely think is that results like this one against Swansea (forgot it was a match thread for a moment!
.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='lol' />) are not the damning indictment that some people are taking them for. I've said from the beginning that we would have to expect and allow for disappointing results that wouldn't/shouldn't ordinarily happen. That means for the whole season, not just until we go on a bit of a good run and then come back down to earth again.

Rodgers is still early in his first season with LFC, so I agree that it is too soon to have any serious doubts about him ... Still, the clock is ticking ... Like I have already said, he will have to show some serious improvement next season ... Qualifying for the CL, or at least winning a cup next season is obligatory ...
Agree completely, especially with the first sentence. I also think that those expectations for next season are fair expectations to have of a Liverpool manager.

Edit: TFC rightfully points out that challenging for the CL spots for the whole season is probably progress enough.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Rodgers is still early in his first season with LFC, so I agree that it is too soon to have any serious doubts about him ... Still, the clock is ticking ... Like I have already said, he will have to show some serious improvement next season ... Qualifying for the CL, or at least winning a cup next season is obligatory ...
Yep I agree with your timeframe but I disagree with your opinion of the requirements. I think that he has to show significant improvements by the end of his 2nd season to keep his job, but I think that if there are signs that we are on the right track (quality signings and use of money this summer, continued improvements of the signings he made this summer) with a progression in the league that has us at least in the battle for 4th until the very end (ie. landing a few spots out of 4th) he'll still be granted a third year.

If we end up in 8th-9th with no clear signs of progression of the project working by the end of his second term I think he'll get the axe.

Either way lets hope the time to find out never comes. I have a feeling Rodgers is going prove himself to be a good choice well before then.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Yep I agree with your timeframe but I disagree with your opinion of the requirements. I think that he has to show significant improvements by the end of his 2nd season to keep his job, but I think that if there are signs that we are on the right track (quality signings and use of money this summer, continued improvements of the signings he made this summer) with a progression in the league that has us at least in the battle for 4th until the very end (ie. landing a few spots out of 4th) he'll still be granted a third year.

If we end up in 8th-9th with no clear signs of progression of the project working by the end of his second term I think he'll get the axe.

Either way lets hope the time to find out never comes. I have a feeling Rodgers is going prove himself to be a good choice well before then.
Now, if he finishes 5th-6th next season, being 3-5 points away from CL qualification, there certainly will be some tolerance ...

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Now, if he finishes 5th-6th next season, being 3-5 points away from CL qualification, there certainly will be some tolerance ...
Ah sorry thats what I meant to say. I typed "ie. landing a few spots out of 4th" when I meant "ie. landing a few points out of 4th".

Yeah thats exactly what I meant though, I do see a scenario where we miss out by 3-5 points and he retains his job because of the progression.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
I still don't get the point of Henderson at RB. We have Downing to fill that gap (LB) who could make way for Carragher at (RB). Or Robinson too. I am only saying this because Downing has played at LB before. Carragher has played at RB before. So why fix when it ain't broken?
This way Henderson could have played in his natural position or at Downings position.
You're right to mention that Henderson playing in the middle could have greatly strengthened the side. But the fact remains that Henderson was probably the best fill-in option at full-back. Carragher has absolutely no pace anymore and would have been annihilated by Swansea's wingers. Downing struggles enormously on the defensive aspects of playing fullback (for obvious reasons) and would similarly have been a nightmare. Perhaps McLaughlin could have gotten a look, but I have no idea how close the kid is to a chance in the first team.

I agree that Brendan probably didn't care too much if we lost, hence him putting Cole in the shop window, or perhaps he wasn't quite expecting how badly Cole would play. But if Rodgers didn't prioritise the League Cup, then perhaps neither should we and we should accept that the result wasn't really indicative of all that much.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Whatever the line up was, I thought losing 3-1 to Swansea was ridiculous. Its sad and its disgusting and Brendan rightly singled out players to be criticized. As much I support players as long they are part of the club, I think its time to stop this "Liverpool Way" of doing everything behind closed doors. There are times, just like in the corporate world, that public criticism albeit constructive ones, is sometimes necessary to wake some of these players.

I am not too concerned by the elimination but by the manner who lose and more alarmingly by some of the players who may not seem that they care about playing in this cup.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Whatever the line up was, I thought losing 3-1 to Swansea was ridiculous. Its sad and its disgusting and Brendan rightly singled out players to be criticized. As much I support players as long they are part of the club, I think its time to stop this "Liverpool Way" of doing everything behind closed doors. There are times, just like in the corporate world, that public criticism albeit constructive ones, is sometimes necessary to wake some of these players.

I am not too concerned by the elimination but by the manner who lose and more alarmingly by some of the players who may not seem that they care about playing in this cup.
Yet Rodgers has publicly criticised both Downing and Cole.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
If FSG have any sense they'll give Rodgers three seasons to put his mark on the squad.

Thankfully I think they have that sense. The fans I'm not so sure about.
I for one think exactly the contrary, mate. LFC fans are usually a patient bunch. Not so sure about FSG though...

Time will tell anyway, and I agree with you about the minimum three seasons part.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I for one think exactly the contrary, mate. LFC fans are usually a patient bunch. Not so sure about FSG though...

Time will tell anyway, and I agree with you about the minimum three seasons part.
Really have to disagree here. LFC fans were a patient bunch. They damn sure aren't now. How many minutes did it take for the crowd to get frustrated with Yesil?

I have no concerns whatsoever about Rodgers at the end of this season.

starshadow

I wish that were true,

Its been a roller coaster of 4 years.

From almost winning the title, smashing United, Madrid and Villa in the same week by 4-5 goal margins to relegation battles with Roy Owlson and defeats by Northampton at home and the acceptance of mediocrity.

From then on we've lost to many small teams at home, our fortress has collapsed and its become ok. The crowd has amazingly stuck by their man over the years but the last four have been particularly bad.

Its not only on the pitch but off it too we are dragged through the mud, racist calms, public failings, Selling/Loaning the entire strikeforce without brining in replacements, diving, the way Kenny a legend was sacked and the ridiculous Jen Chang fiasco which showed LFC as being run by downright stupid people day to day who thought they'd chase a twitter personality.

I don't expect the crowd to be patient after all that!

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Back in the days our B team could take on the likes of Swansea. That's the gripe of most people, I guess.....
back in the day our b team would win the league. Times have changed, Rodgers need results fast, we can't continue like this, losing at anfield isn't acceptable.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
:huh:

Some LFC fans are patient, a lot are very very impatient.
Well, I wasn't thinking about the internet fans around the world in that present case. Rather the regular match-going supporters, who are usually quite patient and knowledgeable, at least when compared with most football supporters around the world.

Edit: that won't hinder the few idiots in the crowd to moan of course. It was more generally speaking.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
:huh:

Some LFC fans are patient, a lot are very very impatient.
You'd be surprised how patient loads are, even some vocal ones. Remember, some aren't spring chicken anymore and probably been with the club when they were on the up till today. If that's not patient, I don't know what is. Some crossing the line of overbearing protective towards the club.... hence some animosity when idiots do stupid things in the club.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
back in the day our b team would win the league. Times have changed, Rodgers need results fast, we can't continue like this, losing at anfield isn't acceptable.
It is acceptable (to lose at Anfield) if it's the result of our intent.

This game we were half committed to winning and half committed to getting out of one too many competitions.

When half-time came, we reacted as if we really cared by throwing in our 2+1 super weapons a la Udinese. Now the players are frustrated we lost. Our supporters are frustrated we lost.

And I'd not be surprised if we see our manager start acting like a conservative in order to avoid losses.