• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-3 Swansea (League Cup)

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I don't want to talk about us because we were utterly feeble. Without Suarez we have absolutely nothing.

I'd prefer to talk about Swansea. They were great here last season and were excellent again tonight. Difference was this time they had a cutting edge and looked like they might score every time they came forward. Class club and a class team. A real footballing lesson for us.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
What was that Brendan said about wanting to make Anfield a real fortress which makes teams scared, its not really happening is it!
He better get down to B n Q and buy some two by four's and a hammer and a big box of 6 inch nails then. A wendy house more like.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
BR looking destroyed: the best team won... they were brighter than us... we cannot finish our chances... that's the problem... disappointed... etc.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Its ironic that we look our worst when we try and introduce a few senior players into what is in essence the back up side. The back up players left on their own have never let us down and some of them like Suso, Sterling and Wisdom have gone on to displace the original first teamers. It is the half arsed displays from the 'stars' that are letting us down the most. In particular Downing and Cole who now longer have the first team even in sight but Allen and Assaidi weren't too hot in this one either!

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
The upside is we may never have to witness Carragher in a Liverpool shirt again
You're kidding right? He was our best defender today, what else did you want him to do, score 3 to get us through? Love it when people jump on players because its the in thing to do. Game was terrible, figured it could be with the team put out but i still agreed with it, our first team needed a rest and this was the lowest priority competition for us. Would have liked to win to give our second string more game time but if they aren't good enough to win then they will lose out on playing the later levels.

Not in a good mood, game was bad and the stream even worse.

Dodgy

TIA Youth Team
Stewart Downing should never be allowed to wear a Liverpool shirt again. It's not his playing but his utter cowardice that I can't stomach. When the going gets tough Downing disappears. We need players who want to be heroes in battle not hide beneath the dead.

Sad to get knocked out of any competition but not particularly arsed about this one. With the lack of depth of our squad at the moment we can't really afford to fight a war on too many fronts. Would rather we focused on the League.

Anthony

As I read through all the pissed off people on here I cannot help thinking that this isn't the worst thing in the world, actually its far from it. We have a very thin squad and need to be as competitve as we can where it counts.
We obviously fielded a weaker team; Carra, Robinson, Yesil, Cole, Downing, Hendo clearly have no place near our 1st team starting line-up.
Swansea fielded a solid team.
If we had added Johson, Suso, Enrique, Gerrard/ Suarez/ Sterling from the start things would have been much different. We simply must save them for the PL and EL

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
To achieve what in the league Dodgy? End up 8th instead of 9th?

BTW, my Thursdays just opened up for the period of July 2013 to May 2014.

I'm just afraid I'll still go to the pub out of habit though.

Maybe I'll take up painting, bowling or even work out some times.

OhYaBeauty

I'll be the devil's advocaat. Important part's at the end.

We played a really weak team against a PL side using their best XI. We played a combination of youth and players we picked up at the nearest hospice (I'm looking at you Joe Cole. And Carragher, but only because he's old and past it. He was okay today) and apparently expected a victory. Not only that, we played half of our players out of position (Hendo RB, Allen DM, Shelvey CM, Downing ONTHEFUCKINGPITCH Cole ONTHEFUCKINGPITCH).

Realistically, there was no way we were ever going to win that match. Our midfield was weak in terms of movement to help pass and move (Cole was in it and Shelvey isn't used to playing that way because he's generally the AM) and spine to tackle and win back possession (no recognized DM). Our forward line featured an 18 year old completely out of his depth.

We lost. Its not a big deal. It should have been expected. This is the League Cup and we have a thin squad. Let it go

fivetimesredmen

TIA New Signing
This has not really told us anything that we didn't already know;

Anfield is not a fortress

There is no strength in depth in our squad

We badly need a goal poacher

Brendan Rodgers knew what the job was he took on and will continue to get on with it. He really needs to address tonights performance with the players and tell a few home truths to a number of them. Carragher is not one of those players and the earlier comment about him was pathetic and totally disrespectful to a player of his stature. Jones also had a good game and kept the scoreline down with some great saves in the second half.

stepea

TIA Youth Team
Pitiful. Well, at least Swansea showed us how to play pass and move.

The trick's in the moving. We're not so good at it.
we seem to stand still after we've made the pass - you don't see Xavi or Iniesta do that. Shouldn't have started with Yesil and Joe Cole - one at the very start of their careers, one quite finished. Felt sorry for the young lad. Just shows the lack of quality in our striking options - so our American owners are thinking of changing that in the January transfer window - does anyone seriously think that Llorente or Huntelaar will be available on the cheap and if they are there will be many more admirers trying to sign them. I'm behind Brenden Rogers but what will the owners think when we finish the season with no cup trophies and roughly the same league position - Kenny was wrongly sacked. I just hope that the years of fans putting up with mediocrity will be finally rewarded.

LFC7NH

Pretty sad people lumping Carragher in with the likes of Downing and Cole... Sure he's way past his prime but he's still more than those two ever were/are/will be.

And I thought he was actually pretty good today.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
The worst part is swansea is now a better team than us, after we nicked their coach and their suppose best player!! How is that possible.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Positives (stretching the term): Henderson wasn't the absolute liability at right back I think some expected. Jones stopped it being a rugby score by having a good game. Gerrard and Suarez assist and goal again I thought we weren't supposed to be able to score headed goals from set pieces without a certain 'plan b' with a pony tail?

Negatives: Joe Cole, Yesil being hopelessly isolated due to Joe Cole, Stewart Downing, everychance we had being wasted by a hit and hope far out shot by Stewart Downing, Joe Cole, Stewart Downing hiding on the pitch using his powers of invisibility, Joe Cole, Joe Allen being absolutely useless as a DM and only half ok at passing to our players, Joe Cole, Stewart Downing, Assaidi having a bad game so Sterling came on for him instead of Downing. Oh and Joe Cole and Stewart Downing.

rockafella

Registered before you did
We need Chelsea or Arsenal to win it now to open up another league spot for Europe

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
(...)

We lost. Its not a big deal. It should have been expected. This is the League Cup and we have a thin squad. Let it go
You're right about the thin squad. Then again, how do you explain that Swansea cope so well with the added competition, and we fail to put a competitive team on the pitch? We are LFC, and what happens here is not ok. It's a shame and shouldn't be expected as such.

Thinking about where we were with Rafa only three years ago, and where we are now with that lot (gaffer included) is really a stunning thing to consider... :shock:

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
The worst part is swansea is now a better team than us, after we nicked their coach and their suppose best player!! How is that possible.
I was wondering about that until I found Physics Law #234:

The clone can't be better than its master for at least 2 years after the cloning is completed

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Pretty sad people lumping Carragher in with the likes of Downing and Cole... Sure he's way past his prime but he's still more than those two ever were/are/will be.

And I thought he was actually pretty good today.
I hate to see him in decline but not as much as I hate to see fans treat him like these players. Hes a true legend at this club. Without him we wouldnt have number 5 in the cabinet and for that alone he should be treated with more respect. One thing we can say is he always gave his all for the shirt. Remember "We all dream of a team of Carraghers". Some fans have short memories.

OhYaBeauty

The trick's in the moving. We're not so good at it.
I had been trying to think of how to say this, but couldn't come up with a way to put it as eloquently as you have here. You cannot play tiki-taka/pass-and-move/Rodgersball without very intelligent midfielders who constantly move into space in order for the player on the ball to have a simple outlet pass to them. If you don't have those players in midfield, the front four will make an overly ambitious pass and lose possession. Which breaks the system.

Allen is great at this. When he's paired with a defensive midfielder, he's always moving so that whoever has the ball can pass to him. Unfortunately, its not really Shelvey's game, or Gerrard's. They make runs forward so that the Allen can find them and they can be creative. Problem is, Allen was handcuffed by defensive duties, Shelvey was always running forward, and... wait a minute, we play a three man midfield, right? Who was the last one?
Anyway, the point is that with the players we put out, we couldn't control the midfield. And that's where the game was lost.

juliannicholas

TIA Reserve Team
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers: "Swansea were brighter than us. In the first half, we were to slow and ponderous. We introduced Luis Suarez and Steven Gerrard and that gave us great impetus but we gave a way a disappointing second goal. Overall, I thought the best team won. We created chances but we have to finish them. There are no complaints from us."

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
sorry to say it, but i can't drop the blame on cole or downing. they played like they allways do, no surprises there.

just like the Derby, BR got it wrong, and he got it wrong against the team he should know more than anybody how to get right.
throwing at HT SG and Luis, was a desperate act. and it almost worked.

This loss is a heavy one for three reasons :
1. we are out of the League cup. and it's not like it is damaging our title race, or CL.
2. it stoped any kind of positive momentum which the squad might have had.
3. instead of letting the youngsters getting their feet wet, he threw them into the waters and left them to drown. two games in a row.

The line up was a mess, team was not tacticly prepared, and players played without heart or commitment.

sorry, but this one is all BR

OhYaBeauty

You're right about the thin squad. Then again, how do you explain that Swansea cope so well with the added competition, and we fail to put a competitive team on the pitch? We are LFC, and what happens here is not ok. It's a shame and shouldn't be expected as such.

Thinking about where we were with Rafa only three years ago, and where we are now with that lot (gaffer included) is really a stunning thing to consider... :shock:
Next year I won't make the same excuse. Unfortunately circumstance and poor management has left us with a thin squad, and I was willing to write off the League Cup from the off and focus on the league.

I know none of this was what your point was getting at, but Swansea field a strong side in the Cup because they're not in Europe (less games) and they don't really have a shot at qualifying for it. They're safely mid-table, so its not as if focusing on the league will get them much. Ergo, they can put more emphasis on something like the League cup

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Strange game that. The first 60 minutes were poor; then we gradually got better and more patient as we approached the end of the game...!

First half was just shit. End of. Midfield wasn't there, and I blame Joe Cole...

Second half was much better, but we didn't start passing it around and playing with patience until the final ten minutes.

In the end though - not good enough. Poor decision making, and lack of quality and composure around the penalty area.