• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-3 Swansea (League Cup)

lfc.8

No. We don't have a balanced squad capable of competing in four competitions. It would be a mistake to think otherwise. The worst thing BR did tonight was bring on Suarez at the half, but I think we know now why Yesil is not getting any time in the league.
No. We should be fielding a stronger enough team to win. We don't play Newcastle until Sunday 4pm. It's also always good to win a cup. Yes the priority is the league, always will be, but very poor to be losing to Swansea at home. Shocking performance. Unbelievable.

mogggg

TIA Squad Member
I have to write something to make sense of what I just witnessed. We were so average. Wow we were bad. But that being said there are a number of lessons which come out of days like today.

First off, the squad. If it wasn't glaringly obvious before how little depth we have, it should be now. I'm glad to see the youth getting a chance, and I rate a lot of the youngsters we have coming through, but they're not all capable of playing at this level yet. Cole in particular can f*ck right off. I'd rather see youngsters get beat fair and square while they give it their all than players giving half arsed shite performances like that.

However, one thing which I am pleased with is that under BR, the youth will get a chance. So often we've bemoaned the fact that we don't give our youth players a fair go, and now I think that the silver lining of having minimal depth is that we get to see the players who have been so highly regarded.

Also, we have guys like Henderson, Allen, Lucas (when he's fit), Spearing etc. who are very effective as a cog in the machine, and great at keeping it ticking over in midfield, but the problem is the machine doesn't work. We defend poorly and we're not quite there at the attacking end of the pitch yet, especially when we don't have Gerrard, Suarez and Sterling (and maybe Shelvey/Sahin). So it's all well and good being able to boss midfield with some good grafters, but that counts for jack when you can't attack or defend.

We've known from the start that the rebuilding process will take time. We've got to give that time. Undoubtedly, we're going to have a few frustrating seasons, but if we stick by our manager, I believe we'll get through it. BR maybe full of pseudopsychological babble, but I think he has the skillset to build this team the right way. I think we'll have to spend a few years (yes years) waiting for the right deals to come along and picking up the right players at the right price. There's no point rushing out in January and picking up the flavour of the month striker and getting held to ransom. If the deal is there, get it done. We don't have the means and I wouldn't want us to do a Man City and go out and buy all the worlds best players in every position and wait for them to gel.

Finally, and it kind of sums up a lot about the club at the moment - lacking depth and struggling for quality, but building to the future. We rely heavily on Sterling. We've got Gerrard and Suarez who are our big gamechangers, but beyond them, the next names which come to mind are Sterling, Shelvey and Suso. These youngsters all have quality and I have little doubt that they're going to be fantastic players. But the fact that they're our go to players at 20, 18 and 17 says something about the quality we have in the rest of the team. They're still developing as players and we really need some more reliable players who we can call on to do a job. We've lost some important players over the last few seasons who filled that role importantly. I think we need to get that sort of player back. Kuyt, Benayoun, Maxi - the list goes on. Dependable, capable, and largely unspectacular. But vitally important.

Today was sh*t. Sh*t sh*t sh*t. The thing that worries me the most is the fact that it's been such a constant feeling now, I'm getting used to it. Watching Liverpool perform poorly at home, and get beat by yet another midtable team (though full credit to Swansea, they were excellent). But I'm prepared to be patient. I've not got much else to hold onto at the moment

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Then again, how do you explain that Swansea cope so well with the added competition, and we fail to put a competitive team on the pitch?
We were rubbish on the night, but from their perspective, Swansea coped well as they had a game at City the other day, mainly waiting behind the ball and not losing much energy which also tactically suited them perfectly coming into this game as Laudrup had the opportunity to keep his strongest possible side on the pitch but also the players knew how to perform defensively as they just had to repeat the same from the Etihad (but of course try to get a result).

Even with Gerrard and Suarez coming on for us, many of our attacks were clueless, hopeless and we had players like Downing who I don't know why wasn't taken off for Sterling, why was Assaidi the one to leave the pitch instead. When we crossed it there was no one moving to attack the box and apart from that it was trying to get through a wall.

Can't blame Rodgers much tonight, he made the subs at the right time but a lot of the players just didn't perform well enough against a well organized side in their strongest line up that played a similar game just a few days back.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
You're right about the thin squad. Then again, how do you explain that Swansea cope so well with the added competition, and we fail to put a competitive team on the pitch? We are LFC, and what happens here is not ok. It's a shame and shouldn't be expected as such.

Thinking about where we were with Rafa only three years ago, and where we are now with that lot (gaffer included) is really a stunning thing to consider... :shock:
They've only played in 2 or 3 League cup games haven't they? One more than us? We have played the European games and both teams are on same league games we have actually played fair bit more than them.

haakeye

Banned Users
Amther home defeat against a promoted side 10Fuckin points out of 9games totally fuckin inconsitant team wdd are .itl never Fuckin change ever im losing hope losing intrest totally and that hurts me to say that

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
I'm too funny for myself today and I haven't had a drink yet.

I'm afraid Haloween's scarey side started about 2 hours ago for me and won't end till late tonight.

I totally agree with lfc.8 or was it lfc.9....

If we are serious about a competition, then let's go all out and play our best (without doing anything stupid of course).

But we shouldn't be fielding a team of Cole's/Downing's and baby boys and substituting 3 of them at half time.

If the decision is made to not risk going for the Credit Card Cup, then don't bother pissing off Luis and Captain at half-time.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers: "Swansea were brighter than us. In the first half, we were to slow and ponderous. We introduced Luis Suarez and Steven Gerrard and that gave us great impetus but we gave a way a disappointing second goal. Overall, I thought the best team won. We created chances but we have to finish them. There are no complaints from us."
At least hes honest. Downing sidefoots that one home and its maybe a different game. We have too simple problems which come directly from a lack of quality in the playing staff.
1. We dont convert enough of the chances we create because we lack a goal threat from everyone bar Swarez and maybe at a push Jonjo. How many goals will the rest of them contribute over the season?

2. We simply are poor defensively. Keep a clean sheet for fucks sake. The loss of Lucas is also a factor here.

rockafella

Registered before you did
This competition should have been our priority. We won't get near the top 4, most likely will be 7th-8th again. With City, United, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton etc all out we really should not have been resting players for this.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We were rubbish on the night, but from their perspective, Swansea coped well as they had a game at City the other day, mainly waiting behind the ball and not losing much energy which also tactically suited them perfectly coming into this game as Laudrup had the opportunity to keep his strongest possible side on the pitch but also the players knew how to perform defensively as they just had to repeat the same from the Etihad (but of course try to get a result).

Even with Gerrard and Suarez coming on for us, many of our attacks were clueless, hopeless and we had players like Downing who I don't know why wasn't taken off for Sterling, why was Assaidi the one to leave the pitch instead. When we crossed it there was no one moving to attack the box and apart from that it was trying to get through a wall.

Can't blame Rodgers much tonight, he made the subs at the right time but a lot of the players just didn't perform well enough against a well organized side in their strongest line up that played a similar game just a few days back.
Yeah I can't blame Rodgers either he is limited to 3 subs unfortunately more than 3 players let us down with their performances.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Another thing which lefts me fuming: Cole was rightly taken off at half-time (should never have started in the first place, first error from the gaffer), but Yesil, who was completely isolated due to Cole's unwillingness to put an effor in, gets subbed as well. What the f...?

I can only imagine how terrible this must be for the young man's confidence. It wasn't his fault after all if he was selected by BR to play that game in the first place, then gets no service at all. Then he gets subbed off (or rather, sacrificed) in a desperate (and with hindsight, useless) attempt from the gaffer to correct his errors by putting the big stars in.

Rather than trying to get his players back on the pitch in a better mental shape, he just reverts to the stars, hoping that their individual class will bail him out. Not good enough for me...

Then, where was Pacheco? He played excellently against WBA in the same competition. Why was he overlooked in favour of a notoriously useless player? BR has to give the fans an explanation for this scandalous favouritism. Not playing in-form players in favour of useless, but higher-rated and better-payed players is one of the things I loathe most of all! :angry:

The whole shape of the team wasn't strong enough to cope with that good side. BR should have known this better than anyone and taking measures. And it wasn't even an exercise to better the pass-and-move game BR wants to introduce here. We looked spineless and devoid of any plan or idea how to play. That's probably the biggest failure tonight, because it's collective.

Rodgers get 2 out of 10 from me for his terrible decision-making. Ultimately, it's his fault that we were humiliated by his former team tonight. No way to escape out of this simple truth.

haakeye

Banned Users
I have to write something to make sense of what I just witnessed. We were so average. Wow we were bad. But that being said there are a number of lessons which come out of days like today.

First off, the squad. If it wasn't glaringly obvious before how little depth we have, it should be now. I'm glad to see the youth getting a chance, and I rate a lot of the youngsters we have coming through, but they're not all capable of playing at this level yet. Cole in particular can f*ck right off. I'd rather see youngsters get beat fair and square while they give it their all than players giving half arsed shite performances like that.

However, one thing which I am pleased with is that under BR, the youth will get a chance. So often we've bemoaned the fact that we don't give our youth players a fair go, and now I think that the silver lining of having minimal depth is that we get to see the players who have been so highly regarded.

Also, we have guys like Henderson, Allen, Lucas (when he's fit), Spearing etc. who are very effective as a cog in the machine, and great at keeping it ticking over in midfield, but the problem is the machine doesn't work. We defend poorly and we're not quite there at the attacking end of the pitch yet, especially when we don't have Gerrard, Suarez and Sterling (and maybe Shelvey/Sahin). So it's all well and good being able to boss midfield with some good grafters, but that counts for jack when you can't attack or defend.

We've known from the start that the rebuilding process will take time. We've got to give that time. Undoubtedly, we're going to have a few frustrating seasons, but if we stick by our manager, I believe we'll get through it. BR maybe full of pseudopsychological babble, but I think he has the skillset to build this team the right way. I think we'll have to spend a few years (yes years) waiting for the right deals to come along and picking up the right players at the right price. There's no point rushing out in January and picking up the flavour of the month striker and getting held to ransom. If the deal is there, get it done. We don't have the means and I wouldn't want us to do a Man City and go out and buy all the worlds best players in every position and wait for them to gel.

Finally, and it kind of sums up a lot about the club at the moment - lacking depth and struggling for quality, but building to the future. We rely heavily on Sterling. We've got Gerrard and Suarez who are our big gamechangers, but beyond them, the next names which come to mind are Sterling, Shelvey and Suso. These youngsters all have quality and I have little doubt that they're going to be fantastic players. But the fact that they're our go to players at 20, 18 and 17 says something about the quality we have in the rest of the team. They're still developing as players and we really need some more reliable players who we can call on to do a job. We've lost some important players over the last few seasons who filled that role importantly. I think we need to get that sort of player back. Kuyt, Benayoun, Maxi - the list goes on. Dependable, capable, and largely unspectacular. But vitally important.

Today was sh*t. Sh*t sh*t sh*t. The thing that worries me the most is the fact that it's been such a constant feeling now, I'm getting used to it. Watching Liverpool perform poorly at home, and get beat by yet another midtable team (though full credit to Swansea, they were excellent). But I'm prepared to be patient. I've not got much else to hold onto at the moment
. Really dont know if i can wait a few more seasons i Honestly think its always going to be like this

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Yeah I can't blame Rodgers either he is limited to 3 subs unfortunately more than 3 players let us down with their performances.
Well, yeah. Cause he picked 2 underperforming oldies and a bunch of unprepared kids.

Hence why I'm puzzled about using our 3 1st team weapons at half time. Either we want to get through or we don't. Can't be wishy washy and then compain.

lfc.8

I'm too funny for myself today and I haven't had a drink yet.

I'm afraid Haloween's scarey side started about 2 hours ago for me and won't end till late tonight.

I totally agree with lfc.8 or was it lfc.9....

If we are serious about a competition, then let's go all out and play our best (without doing anything stupid of course).

But we shouldn't be fielding a team of Cole's/Downing's and baby boys and substituting 3 of them at half time.

If the decision is made to not risk going for the Credit Card Cup, then don't bother pissing off Luis and Captain at half-time.
Agreed ;)

haakeye

Banned Users
Another thing which lefts me fuming: Cole was rightly taken off at half-time (should never have started in the first place, first error from the gaffer), but Yesil, who was completely isolated due to Cole's unwillingness to put an effor in, gets subbed as well. What the f...?

I can only imagine how terrible this must be for the young man's confidence. It wasn't his fault after all if he was selected by BR to play that game in the first place, then gets no service at all. Then he gets subbed off (or rather, sacrificed) in a desperate (and with hindsight, useless) attempt from the gaffer to correct his errors by putting the big stars in.

Then, where was Pacheco? He played excellently against WBA in the same competition. Why was he overlooked in favour of a notoriously useless player? BR has to give the fans an explanation for this scandalous favouritism. Not playing in-form players in favour of useless, but higher-rated and better-payed players is one of the things I loathe most of all! :angry:

The whole shape of the team wasn't strong enough to cope with that good side. BR should have known this better than anyone and taking measures. And it wasn't even an exercise to better the pass-and-move game BR wants to introduce here. We looked spineless and devoid of any plan or idea how to play. That's probably the biggest failure tonight, because it's collective.

Rodgers get 2 out of 10 from me for his terrible decision-making. Ultimately, it's his fault that we were humiliated by his former team tonight. No way to escape out of this simple truth.
is he Really goin to turn things round here ? I beg to differ

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Rodgers' team selection was poor ... You don't start Sahin and Suso against Everton, and then completely forget about them against Swansea ...

haakeye

Banned Users
Were a joke of a team in reality to to inconsitant beginning to doubt Rodgers

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Wow some serious kneejerking going on here. Wonder if Spurs are having similar conversations after being put out by a lower prem table Norwich? Yeah we lost, yeah we are out, yeah it was a bad performance but come on dont make more of it than it is!

Anthony

Truthfully, we with our squad we just needed to be out of this competition and focus on the league..............where we don't field weakened squads and are competitive every game.
We win 3 PL games in a row and see how the table looks then for us, and I know we are more than capable of it.

Cheer up lads we'll spank the stripes on Sunday :)

T.C.B

Ad-free Member

The only possible reason I can think of is that he is maybe trying to show the likes of West Ham that Cole is still around and available. We want rid of him than we need at least to show prospective buyers hes fit to waddle, I mean play a full game.
The whole strategy backfires though when he shuffles around for 45mins looking like a half inflated Michelin man.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Well, yeah. Cause he picked 2 underperforming oldies and a bunch of unprepared kids.

Hence why I'm puzzled about using our 3 1st team weapons at half time. Either we want to get through or we don't. Can't be wishy washy and then compain.
With our squad at the moment, there isn't much choice especially considering the derby we had at the weekend and a massive game on Sunday against the Toon.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Wow some serious kneejerking going on here. Wonder if Spurs are having similar conversations after being put out by a lower prem table Norwich? Yeah we lost, yeah we are out, yeah it was a bad performance but come on dont make more of it than it is!
It is what it is.

We blew our chance of getting into Rich's favorite Thursday European competition.

Now we have nothing to do Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays next season.

I wanted a reason to leave work early.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
And add that it eas the mickey mouse cup. Totally should of started our first team and run players like Sterling and Suso into the ground.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
LEAGUE CUP QUARTER-FINAL DRAW

Leeds United v Chelsea
Liverpool _ I mean Swansea v Middlesbrough
Norwich v Aston Villa
Bradford v Arsenal

haakeye

Banned Users
its another fuckin home defeat is what it is by a mid table team a Fuckin gain sorry nnt swearing at you mate

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It is what it is.

We blew our chance of getting into Rich's favorite Thursday European competition.

Now we have nothing to do Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays next season.

I wanted a reason to leave work early.
I never need a reason for that, that just kind of happens but then my job is rubbish haha.