• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-3 Swansea (League Cup)

Colin

TIA First Team
The Swansea fan is sadly right. Beating us at the minute isn't what it once was.

Harry Redknapp (i know, i know!) basically said the same thing the other week. It used to be you'd come to Anfield and not get a kick of the ball. Now we let teams play their own game, stretch us and frustrate us. It's fucking heartwrenching.

BR talks the right stuff. I hope he can do it.

People writing him off already are nuts. With the squad we have right now we'll inevitably have results like this. It sucks, it needs addressed but that's where it is right now.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
True mate, but seeing certain players disappoint and play without any clue, is disappointing regardless of it not coming as a surprise.

So, if i say Joe Cole is toss that's one thing. But if i watch him play for LFC and play like a goat, i still get angry despite the lack of actual surprise about it.

Double kicker, really.
yeah, it is worse watching Cole than Downing, because you never really notice Downing anyway.

These beatdowns are never fun as a young team comes together. I understand Rodgers was visibly frustrated in his post-game conference, notably around squad depth. But words like 'disgrace' are just a bit much. It was a Premiership side, and a solid one.

Northampton Town, now that was a disgrace.

We lick our wounds, learn, and move on to Toon. There are lots of teachable moments from that game, not least an illustration of what we are still not doing within the style of play.

Colin

TIA First Team
yeah, it is worse watching Cole than Downing, because you never really notice Downing anyway.

These beatdowns are never fun as a young team comes together. I understand Rodgers was visibly frustrated in his post-game conference, notably around squad depth. But words like 'disgrace' are just a bit much. It was a Premiership side, and a solid one.

Northampton Town, now that was a disgrace.

We lick our wounds, learn, and move on to Toon. There are lots of teachable moments from that game, not least an illustration of what we are still not doing within the style of play.
Yes, lets not overreact.

We couldn't have played our full side again. That would have been 4 games in 11 odd days.

it is what it is.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
We will overcome, we will get through this. I am sure; it is how long we cannot say.

A club of this size and goodness and togetherness cannot wane for ever; the saying goes you cannot keep a good man down - and we have been one of the best 'men' of the football world. We will be again.

Brendan said there would be more lows, and I would take this one. The Carling Cup cannot be this important...........

The posters who warned us we would reap the problems of squad thinness at the weekend ought to be vindicated. We reaped it tonight. That's a miss by only 3 days.

But we just beat Anzi and drew Everton; just need to get to January and strengthen now.

Still some awful coal around that wont burn that has gone to ash. Heavy carrying useless ash around, puts you on a Downing. We'll be both lighter and stronger soon - reinforcements will come.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
The problem with the approach, is that we were 30% committed to winning - based on team selection and approach.

Then come half time we were 60% committed - based on the introduction of our 2 super stars.

At about 2/3 - 3/4 of the game we appeared desperate and made the 3rd and last change to bring in another 1st team attacking player.

Can't do that without fixing the core issues. That "spine" I was talking about.

We should have learned from the Udinese experiment, when we started with a really light squad, and kept introducing the big names, only to get beat worse, and to get everyone tired and in post-loss sadness.

Don't do that again Brendan. Let's either go all in, or not.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Sorry not to still be in the League Cup Quarters ...with just Chelsea (thankfully they ousted Utd AET) and Arsenal of the big guns left in.

But we were (by a country mile) second-best against Swansea and completely deserved to lose. No hard luck story, no controversy, no "we were robbed" angle at all ...we were simply well beaten on the night and the best team won the match. It happens. Let's just move on to Newcastle and hopefully a much better performance.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Dog of a display that. Absolute gash

Suarez is a fantastic player, rest of the squad...not so much. And when the squad is as thin as it is, you cant really afford to still be carrying passengers, or, more bluntly, dead wood. But we are

Its a bit of a consequence of that clumsy scorched earth policy we put in place last summer. We cut out a lot of fat from the squad then, but some 'meat' might have gone with it as well, and some of the parasites still remained in situ. it was a half completed, half arsed job, made more obvious by our failure to replace enough of the outgoing players. if you go to the trouble of sacking a club legend [and yes, the decision was understandable from an objective stanpoint] then why hamstring your new manager in the manner we did do and leave him with a squad that had no chance of being competitive across 4 fronts?

this game was a bit of a consequence, a mix and match job of youth team players, reserves and dead wood. In terms of team selection, we know the situation but there are some players who perhaps should be just told bluntly that if they want to play they go somewhere else and accept a lower wage because what they are offering isnt up to scratch. The end result is that we had again to call upon the big boys to stop ourselves being humiliated [and as it was, bar Suarez's goal, it didnt really work too well], meaning no rest for the wicked

This competition is probably bottom of the scale this season, but performances like that reeked of mediocrity becoming rather too entrenched within certain players minds, and at home it really wasnt good enough

Club as a whole, if it wants long term to get better, needs to do a lot more. Players need to put in a bit more application and effort, the club appointments have to get better [not the ineperienced and second rate we have seen too much of] and the manager needs to be given some decent cash to play with, along with the new scouts being told to leave no stone unturned. There have been changes but after 2 years, 12th place currently and a lot of bad deals and appointments along the way, i dont think its unreasonable to expect a bit better than that. What we put out yesterday has become a bit too much of a habit at times

so far we are not doing enough. Has to be put right from January onwards. No bodging

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
well played Swansea!

Until Luis came on we were toothless in attack - it was woeful! I was shocked to hear Joe Cole's name mentioned, my stream was fluctuating from good to poor and so I had difficulty making certain players out! But when I heard Cole's name I was truly shocked!

The result confirms what we already know, paper thin squad. So patience is required - lots! But, realistically I cannot see us re-joining the top four any time soon.

Plus points were Brad Jones - well played! Some excellent saves tonight. Jonjo played quite well, and Carra was good tonight. Suarez lit the place up when he came on.

Not much else to say......well, their is - be patient!!!

lfc491

TIA Youth Team
Only positive was Brad Jones. Thought he has come leaps and since when he first arrived. Absolutely cannot believe Cole and Downing got in the side over Pacheco...

I will support them while they are wearing the shirt, but they simply don't have the drive, desire or quality to play for the club. With Pacheco you know you are getting 110%.

Thought the support was poor too, but the squad didn't give them much to get excited about in the first half.

batt_red

TIA Reserve Team
Another shop window performance from Cole and Downing. Granted it was an Oxfam shop...

Playing either of those two ahead of Pacheco was a poor decision.

Not going to complain about being out of the League Cup, not really arsed with it and we have bigger fish to fry. But can't help be worried about our shockingly thin squad, our inability to put the ball in the net, and lack of character. Rodgers has his work cut out, and I think he needs to stop babying this lot. Hairdryer treatment definitely needed for some.
Exactly what I feel...May be Rodgers is been too nice with his words and is sugar coating anything that's going wrong at the moment. After such performances he needs to give the lads a hairdryer treatment! Let the guys know that this not acceptable!

And seriously can't understand why is Joe Cole above Dani Pacheco in the pecking order. Dani has been great for the U-21s recently. He deserves a chance ahead of fat Joe for sure!

We need to work on our defending!! We are leaking way too many easy goals at the moment and this is not acceptable, especially when we don't score many. I would love to take performances like vs Reading and Anzi! 1-0 sweet and simple!

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
This certainly was not our finest day,but Swansea came to play not quite sure what some of our lads were doing.

We have no excuses, it was rubbish and it needs to be dealt with.

The squad is far too thin and there are only 3 places that can lie.
I was appalled to see Cole starting,I am quite certain the best role for him is the tea lady's apprentice,what he is doing on the park is beyond me,apart from fucking up Yesil, if I needed any convincing Cole that he is here for his bank A/c I don't now.
Downing-When I think I supported him for a long time I begin to wonder if I'm losing it.

I must confess to being one of the old school who thinks all games are there to win, and you try to, now I must be getting old.
For the life of me I can't understand why you off load players who give 100% the whole while, Kuyt for example,with a thin squad those players are well worth having, and go into the season with too many kids and unproven purchases.

Anyway rant over,look forward to Toon but methinks a long season lies ahead.

Oh, well done Brad Jones! there had to to be a bit if sunshine somewhere.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
So good thing I missed this game them?

You would have been better off watching chelsea v man u. Entertaining.

To be fair, this match could have ended 2-2..we did hit the post and Downing missed a sitter...don't quite know why people are thinking its the end of the world as we know it..but we were piss poor and we need to get used to it.

It's a season of rebuilding and giving youth a chance.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
you agree or just bein sarcastic ? Aint bein funny just askin Anyway iv had enough of this its depressing im goin bed

oh fuck off stnp gloating dick
Thanks for your continuing informative posts. Much appreciated.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Just not that bothered about this one, in all honesty. Our squad is paper thin, particularly up front, so it's fewer games for Suarez to burn out in.

We've played bloody well enough times under Rodgers to not be panicking over what this means for the team in a wider context. It was one of those nights, every team has them, move on.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
So good thing I missed this game them?
You missed nothing, mate, apart a very mature and intelligent Swansea side, which ripped us apart in a calm and composed way.

Stats from the game:

LFC - Swansea 1 - 3

Possession: 42% - 58%

Shots: 18 - 16

On target: 10 - 10

(our shots were more often than not lame shots from long distance without any real danger, while theirs were often really dangerous for us... Jones had a good game...)

Corners: 2 - 4

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
League Cup against our reserve team, they pretty much had their first team out there...does this competition really matter in the scheme of things? I don't think so...BR clearly is playing for UEFA cup out of the two Cups we've taken part in so far.

The thing that let us down was the fact Yesil and Joe Cole barely provided any movement when we had the ball in the first half, the difference in the counter attack speed was astonishing. In contrast we were laboured going forward showed no real creativity and lacked any cutting edge as a result.

Hopefully we can bring in some reinforcements in January as tonight has shown (again) the weakness of the squad could lead to us lagging in the league if we have any injuries.

LeoT

Truly pathetic. Absolute dire performance. Swansea ffs. Should of fielded a stronger line up. Not good enough.
Have you ever tried suggesting a stronger lineup for a cup game in a pre-match thread?
You would be hung, drawn and quatered.

The fact is we underestimated the opposition (...again) and came unstuck.

Also, (not related to your post) in terms of squad depth, its Kenny that blew our good Owner's cash, so we should get off their back and tell it as it is.
I suspect that if we (the fans) were going to dip into our own life savings to pay for a new striker then we would notice the big difference between the odd million pound or two for that new striker.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Have you ever tried suggesting a stronger lineup for a cup game in a pre-match thread?
You would be hung, drawn and quatered.

The fact is we underestimated the opposition (...again) and came unstuck.

Also, (not related to your post) in terms of squad depth, its Kenny that blew our good Owner's cash, so we should get off their back and tell it as it is.
I suspect that if we (the fans) were going to dip into our own life savings to pay for a new striker then we would notice the big difference between the odd million pound or two for that new striker.
On this particular issue, really they should be or have been prepared for the fact that rebuilding this team was likely to cost a significant amount of money and that with our senior scouting being pretty toss for a good 3 years as it was [our last decent summer window was in 2007], the prognosis on getting it right first time out was probably going to be rather poor. More work should have been done here earlier on, but they were the ones who believed Commoli was enough on his own, that was their mistake, not Rodgers or the new regime and FSG should be prepared for that

if they did follow the approach you suggested, it has a ring of Randy lerner about it, and thats no good for the prospects of a competitive side being developed in the forseeable future. Its not a good enough excuse. Kenny did get this bit wrong, but you cant punish future managers for it. Am sure Houllier and Mcleish could explain the reasons why not

next 2 windows will probably be a big clue as to where we are likely to be going but the last 2 have not helped us all that much. last January's inaction pretty much finished Kenny's tenure, if they do that to a manager of their choice then it would not look great really. So thinkits only right we should expect to see this situation remedied

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Well, Brendan is basically saying that the next two transfer windows will be when he has had the chance to bring in the players to build a side that he wants. Will be intriguing to see who he brings in, hopefully they will be class players and i hope FSG back him so he can bring in his first choices. Have a feeling we will need to have alot of patience before we start to play the way he wants.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I felt sorry for young Yesil. Absolutely no support from Cole who surely will never play for LFC again. Felt Allen,s performance was over rated by Rodgers,he was caught in possession a lot,particularly in the first half. Our starting line up did not look good enough on paper and was certainly not good enough on the pitch but to be fair to the rest of them we really played with 10 men and with just Allen and Shelvey in mid field we were sure to get over run.
We need Chelsea or Arsenal to win it now.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Didn't catch the match.So I cannot comment on the performances of the players.Though read somewhere that Michu ran around Allen for fun all night.That's worrying if true.

Having read the match reports, few glaring facts stand out.

1]Why no Pacheco?I must be really missing something.He is no world beater, but he is a way decent option than Joe Cole or Downing.And he wants to perform.He wants to do well.Then why isn't he even given a bloody chance?

2]Both Cole and Downing, seem to have pretty much made up their minds that they will never be regulars under BR.They are happy with their fat wages and are pretty much looking forward to the next clubs.

3]We have no firepower.The worry for me here is that we are over dependent on Luis.The sooner January comes the better.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
There is a serious, serious lack of perspective going on in this thread.

Last night at 9.50pm I turned off the computer, and thought, 'Not to worry. One of those results any new manager trying to rebuild a team is going to have'. This morning I pop my head in here and the whole fucking world is caving in.

Getting knocked out of the league cup by Swansea is no great loss. It's clearly not the priority for us and its clearly the right game to bring in some squad players to keep the first team fresh.

The only disappointment for me was seeing Suarez, Gerrard and Sterling at all. Those lads need a rest. Suarez in particular has no concept of conservation, will give his all every minute he plays, and will pick up a strain soon if we're not careful.

Swansea are not a 'better' side than us. They are a side enjoying about 4 years of stylistic continuity. We on the other hand are a side learning to play in a new style. We have better players than Swansea and we have more resources. When we've got familiarity with the system and confidence playing in it, we'll be a frightening prospect for any club.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
On the other side of the coin we let Kuyt,Maxi,Carroll, Bellamy, Spearing and Adam leave in the summer. Whilst we can make exuses : boyhood club, release clause, wanted first team football, truth is we were only too happy to let them leave (with wages appearing as underlying reason). Kenny/Comolli wasted considerable money, but lack of squad depth is equally FSG/Ayre/Rodgers fault.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
What money will we have the next 2 windows though.
We need 3 class players and we do not seem to have the cash to get them.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
On the other side of the coin we let Kuyt,Maxi,Carroll, Bellamy, Spearing and Adam leave in the summer. Whilst we can make exuses : boyhood club, release clause, wanted first team football, truth is we were only too happy to let them leave (with wages appearing as underlying reason). Kenny/Comolli wasted considerable money, but lack of squad depth is equally FSG/Ayre/Rodgers fault.
Quite right. In particular I remember the howls of dismay as fan favourites Adam and Spearing were released. A very black day for the club, possibly even worse than when when Alonso went.

I'll never forget how we had to talk Rich off that ledge. Adam, I believe, was his Idol.

Seriously, three of those players at the end of their careers wanted out. The other three were gash.

We can moan about squad depth all we like, but I'd still rather give chances to youngsters who at least can get better.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Quite right. In particular I remember the howls of dismay as fan favourites Adam and Spearing were released. A very black day for the club, possibly even worse than when when Alonso went.

I'll never forget how we had to talk Rich off that ledge. Adam, I believe, was his Idol.

Seriously, three of those players at the end of their careers wanted out. The other three were gash.

We can moan about squad depth all we like, but I'd still rather give chances to youngsters who at least can get better.
For me it was the release of all 3 of Bellamy, Kuyt and Maxi for 1m total, replaced by a youth team player, Borini and a knacked Joe Cole

let them go by all means, but letting them go to not be properly replaced...that was foolish. carroll should only have been loaned if a replacement was signed, they had 3 months to do that, it was just crap. no excuses for it

never that bothered by Adam and Spearing going, we had brought in midfield reinforcements, but up top was where the strategy went quite obviously tits up, and will get considerably worse if Suarez does something to himself or someone else

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Well, Brendan is basically saying that the next two transfer windows will be when he has had the chance to bring in the players to build a side that he wants. Will be intriguing to see who he brings in, hopefully they will be class players and i hope FSG back him so he can bring in his first choices. Have a feeling we will need to have alot of patience before we start to play the way he wants.
I'd add to this that the owners will have to be patient as well. No talk about CL football anymore please. Let BR do his rebuilding job this season, and probably next as well, and then we'll see.