• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 1-3 Swansea (League Cup)

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
i think the swansea fan pointed out it wasnt actually their a team either....

brush85

i think the swansea fan pointed out it wasnt actually their a team either....
I think they had 6 or 7 that started at the weekend, start against us. To our solitary player in Joe Allen...not that it matters because the players we did use didnt exactly play up their their standard ( which still might not have been good enough but .... ).

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Back in the days our B team could take on the likes of Swansea. That's the gripe of most people, I guess.....
i like we don't let the facts interfer with our thoughts.
when we won against young boyz, or the last round - everybody said that our B team is better achieving than our senior players. in the second half after introducing gerrard, suarez and sterling, the only change from our A team was downing instead of suso ( i am only refering to the midfield and attack), and we still couldn't pass the ball well, control midfield or dominate the game. and we lost 2-1 in the second half.

this wasn't our B team, this was our team. and apart for gerrard and suarez, yesterday they all look clueless.

I said it many times before, and i am saying it again. "it is only the League cup", "it was our B team", these are all excuses. we are playing like a mid table team at best, and performing even worse. to perform in this manner at anfield, infront of the fans, is shameful and disrespectful.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
As holders of the Cup, which we have held a record eight times, surely it was incumbent of us to show some balls!
Pissed off with so many apologists on here are are to ready to sit down and let things happen.
I have been stood on the Kop a few time in the day and applauded some fantastic displays by the opposition, but not by the likes of Swansea. They were good, but not great, we were shite and I know that plonker up the east lancs wouldn't put up with it, so why the fck should we?
Ok enough until we get another dose on Sunday.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
I really can't believe the reaction - it was a League Cup fixture, our B team against their A team. Yes we put Suarez & Gerrard on at half time - we don't have the squad to play to win every competition. Pretty simple stuff, I'd expect us to beat Swansea at home in a league fixture.
Getting thoroughly outplayed and losing by three goals to one at home is still hard to take in any competition, no matter who we put out.

It was proved (to me at least) yet again that if the opposition want to really have a go at us, we usually fold as our midfield is too brittle; sometimes we hold out for a hard-fought draw if we're lucky but then there's always the chance that we'll lose. We drew against the bitters for instance but lost against Arsenal and Swansea. We badly need Lucas back or an adequate stand in so we can go toe-to-toe in the middle third when we have to.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Getting thoroughly outplayed and losing by three goals to one at home is still hard to take in any competition, no matter who we put out.

It was proved (to me at least) yet again that if the opposition want to really have a go at us, we usually fold as our midfield is too brittle; sometimes we hold out for a hard-fought draw if we're lucky but then there's always the chance that we'll lose. We drew against the bitters for instance but lost against Arsenal and Swansea. We badly need Lucas back or an adequate stand in so we can go toe-to-toe in the middle third when we have to.
I can agree with you to some extent but city and utd had a go and although we did lose and draw those games our midfield didn't fold and we ending up very unlucky not to win both games.I feel if we had goals in this team other teams would be more cautious in attacking us which would ease pressure on the back line and midfield.

Jagielka said the other day they don't pass the ball around for half an hour just for the sake of it.At the moment all clubs can see we pass the ball around with no real penetration as as such they have no fear of us.Maybe they in some way are allowing us to keep on passing as long as it is to the side and back.

Until we have a player or players who will put the ball in the net regular,we will always give ground to other teams because until then we hold no fear over them and they can put it up to us and get something from games against us.

rab

We simply don't have a big enough or strong enough squad to compete in the league and three cup competitions and harbour any serious hope of succeeding in all of them. The priority has to be the league, then probably FA Cup, Europa League and finally the League Cup and that showed in the starting team we sent out yesterday.

The back four was experimental at best, the midfield three didn't seem to know who was going to play the holding role and who was getting forward and Cole was abysmal. The front three consisted of a kid, a squad player and Stewart Downing. The performance was poor but thats a lot of changes to have made to the team and a lot of inexperienced players or those that haven't had a great deal of playing time. That's not an attempt to justify a poor performance but we know the squad is thin and that it'll take more than one transfer window to change that. Hopefully the owners will recognise the need for investment but we can't expect them to fork out £100m in the a new managers first couple of transfer windows to immediately turn things around.

I never like to see us loose, much less in the manner we were yesterday but as priorities go that competition is bottom of the list and we have a big game this weekend that im glad the likes of Wisdom, Agger, Skrtl, Gerrard, Sterling and Suarez will be fresher for having played zero or just 45 minutes last night.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
On the other side of the coin we let Kuyt,Maxi,Carroll, Bellamy, Spearing and Adam leave in the summer. Whilst we can make exuses : boyhood club, release clause, wanted first team football, truth is we were only too happy to let them leave (with wages appearing as underlying reason). Kenny/Comolli wasted considerable money, but lack of squad depth is equally FSG/Ayre/Rodgers fault.
None of those players listed, bar Maxi fit the Rodgers system, and Maxi was on high wages, so not really value for money. None of them would have made a jot of difference this season bar Carroll who would have offered something different, but as he undermines the style of play BR is trying to play it was kinda pointless keeping him. Adam and Spearing just weren't good enough, it's as simple as that.

Short term the squad is threadbare and it's painful to watch an overplayed Suarez or Gerrard, but the free up in wages created by releasing the high wage earners means that in subsequent transfer windows Rodgers will be able to buy players that do fit his system, that do enhance the squad and provide genuine quality competition for places. None of the players you mention would do this.

BR is trying to remove from the squad players on high wages offereing little value - he still needs to lose Downing, Cole and possibly Carragher in this regard. Once he's done that he will bring in young hungry players who are on lower wages and offer higher value. He will also have the wages available to pay proven quality players. For example, the 90k a week we are paying could be used to pay two very good players, or one top quality proven players.

As I said, short term we are struggling for numbers, not helped by the injurues to Lucas, Kelly, Johnson, Reina and Borini, 3 of those certain first teamers. But give Rodgers another couple of transfer windows and everything will look a whole lot rosier. We've tied Agger, Skrtel and Suarez down to long contract extensions, we're getting the youth vital experience, and we've slashed the wage bill. Change takes time, we need to be patient. Thinking that Adam, Spearing or Kuyt or Maxi are the answer to our problem is at it's least short termist, and at worst negligent - they weren't good enough, and would have added nothing for the future.

As for the game, Coates was excellent, Henderson applied himself well, Stewart Downing and Joe Cole need to just leave, and Allen, and Suarez looked tired

Finally, the treatment of yound Samed Yesil was a disgrace. Young lad, making his Anfield debut (?) up front on his own against Swansea's big and experienced CB's getting ridiculous balls fired in at him from all angles and when he fails to control the ball the crowd all groan in unison? Left a nasty taste in my mouth that. He's a kid, he worked his socks off, he's needs our support not his confidence shattering.

YNWA

Doggie

Resident Optimist
One little defeat and the world is caving in lol

We can't compete across four competitions, and this is the least desirable of them.

Last thing we needed was a two leg against the likes of Chelsea or Man City later in the season.

Some folks really need to see the bigger picture.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Most will probably disagree with me but putting the blame on the players always seems to easy.

Who bought the players - The club.
Who pays the players wages - The club.
Who picks the team - The manager
Who picks the formation - The manager
Who trains the team- The manager
Who has the power to get rid of the players - The club
Who can buy the right players for the manager - The club

The players do what they are told on the pitch, how to do it and get paid. If they are not the right players it's not their fault.
As a manager you do the best with what you have, hence the fact that lots of kids are getting a chance, what we have in the first team is in the majority not good enough.

Poor tactical decisions, underestimating the opposotion and living in the past may be down to the manager.
However, the only way to stop us slipping into the tomes of history is for the owners, to make a simple choice.

Do they want to invest the millions required in order to make us great agin, within living memory or not?
If FSG are not willing to put the money in and buy the right players now, so that the youngsters can learn from the people who know how to play BR's way every day then sell up and concentrate on baseball where the statistics are more important than the result.

Watching us is like seeing a thoroughbread horse with a badly broken leg, it needs putting out of it's misery.
I have to agree with this post. There is no way we can really compete with the big guns on the cheap. It cant be done. It is possible to find the odd cheap player who goes on to become a top player but they are the exception rather than the rule.
The next two windows are very important to the club, our club, is to regain its status as a top 4 club. Major investment is needed on the playing staff as well as taking a hit on Downing, Carroll and Cole.
I think Brendan has done reasonably well with the players he brought in this summer but he is not idiot and knows how short we are on real quality. My feeling is its time for the owners to shit or get off the pot by backing their first choice of manager with real investment.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Finally, the treatment of yound Samed Yesil was a disgrace. Young lad, making his Anfield debut (?) up front on his own against Swansea's big and experienced CB's getting ridiculous balls fired in at him from all angles and when he fails to control the ball the crowd all groan in unison? Left a nasty taste in my mouth that. He's a kid, he worked his socks off, he's needs our support not his confidence shattering.

YNWA
That is really really disappointing to hear - all I had was a stream, so that kind of detail did not make it through. Perhaps we are getting the side we deserve.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Not bothered to be out of the League Cup. Embarrassed at the result, yeah a bit but we did play a very young team spearheaded by a 18yr old kid! I'm more upset at Rodger's decisions really.

1) Deciding to bring on Suarez and Gerrard at halftime.
Why? Because they both needed to rest, not play another 45mins! He would have been better off starting them and taking them off in the 2nd half.

2) Starting Joe Allen then playing the whole game. We get that he loves the kid but give him a bit of a rest please, he seems to get used every game, EPL and Europa League! Needed a rest, could have played Sahin, Shelvey and Cole instead.

3) For praising Allen and criticizing the other midfielders. "Joe was incredible," said Rodgers. "You can see he has come out of that Swansea team and into our team with his brightness and his cleverness. He was virtually playing on his own in the midfield in the first half.

4) Giving too much praise to Swansea, I get that he loves that club but he's left them for us. He needs to forget them and think carefully about what he's saying about his own players. He praised them before the game and after, a bit much I think.

Bambii

TIA Reserve Team
The thin squad thing. Why do players need rest? Messi , Xavi , Iniesta , Lahm , Ronaldo play 50 plus games a year.
The premier league plus 12 games. Get Suarez , Gerrard , Sterling , Agger. They can take it in turns to play. Suarez could play the one game and Gerrard the next. Apart from the strikers we have no valid excuse for a thin squad. Plus Brendan decided to let Andy leave on loan without a replacement.
Brendan saying Allen was virtually playing by himself in midfield was poor. I know he loves him but Allen didn't exactly play well and Shelvey did ok , only ok though.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I strongly disagree Zagueiro,

Ok putting on one side Carroll and Adam, who dont naturally fit Rodgers system. Bellamy, Maxi, Kuyt and Spearing all could have offered something. Yesterday would have been a perfect match for Spearing, not because he is a better DM, but because Allen looked knackered out there. Miss placed passes, looking leggy , simply looking tired, at a guess because he has played almost every game this season and there was no viable alternative.He clearly needed a rest, but Henderson could not cover, as he was in defence.

But there were other players who should not have started. While I fully agree with your sentiments about the crowd and Yesil if we are honest though he simply was not ready (which explains why he has not made the bench in PL games). Yesterday there was nothing there to indicate to me fitted the system better than Bellamy or Kuyt. Both of these could lead the line with far more threat, even Carroll not fitting the "system" would still have been a better option. A better option than using Suarez again (who as you say also looked tired)

Cole on the otherhand was as useless as a bag of potatoes, any of the above I would have had a preference to him yesterday, felt really let down by the player. Perhaps thats looking back with hindsight, but few would have picked him above Maxi.

We can say "they offer nothing to our future" but the fact is we need them today. We have injuries but nothing out of the ordinary, and injuries are the exact reason why you have squad depth. To say we are not better off with 5 international players in our second 11, when we are forced to play tired players, forced to play players out of position and forced to use youngsters (throwing them in at the deep end) is what I consider negligent.

You are right though none of the above are our future, and the freed up the wage bill BUT the huge problem people have is that there is no replacement. You certainly dont wait year(s) till a player develops or wait till can find them in the next window, thats cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
People cricicising Rodgers remind me of those who demanded from Rafa to pull rabbits out of his hat in his last season with both hands tied behind his back. It is a similar situation.

The first and foremost cause of yesterday's debacle was the massive lack of depth not Rodgers' lineup, tactics or subs. That's not to say that he is faultless, far from it, but it seems to me that many are losing sight of the forest for the tree.

Rodgers shouldn't have to manage a paper thin squad. The job is already as difficult as it gets but the club managed to make it even more difficult for him during the summer. Perhaps there is a masterplan at play that will come to fruition, who knows, bottom lines is that unless FSG put their money where their mouth is we're going to have more nights and more seasons like these.

Dodgy

TIA Youth Team
To achieve what in the league Dodgy? End up 8th instead of 9th?

BTW, my Thursdays just opened up for the period of July 2013 to May 2014.

I'm just afraid I'll still go to the pub out of habit though.

Maybe I'll take up painting, bowling or even work out some times.
Fair enough Orlando, you're probably right about that. But, as others have rightly pointed out, a run of a few wins would quickly put us in the hunt for 4th. If we can gather some momentum in the run up to January we might be able to attract some star quality players in the next transfer window and then who knows what might happen.

I know I'm being pretty optimistic but I can't really bear to give up on this season yet. It's only November FFS! :(

rab

I strongly disagree Zagueiro,

Ok putting on one side Carroll and Adam, who dont naturally fit Rodgers system. Bellamy, Maxi, Kuyt and Spearing all could have offered something. Yesterday would have been a perfect match for Spearing, not because he is a better DM, but because Allen looked knackered out there. Miss placed passes, looking leggy , simply looking tired, at a guess because he has played almost every game this season and there was no viable alternative.He clearly needed a rest, but Henderson could not cover, as he was in defence.

But there were other players who should not have started. While I fully agree with your sentiments about the crowd and Yesil if we are honest though he simply was not ready (which explains why he has not made the bench in PL games). Yesterday there was nothing there to indicate to me fitted the system better than Bellamy or Kuyt. Both of these could lead the line with far more threat, even Carroll not fitting the "system" would still have been a better option. A better option than using Suarez again (who as you say also looked tired)

Cole on the otherhand was as useless as a bag of potatoes, any of the above I would have had a preference to him yesterday, felt really let down by the player. Perhaps thats looking back with hindsight, but few would have picked him above Maxi.

We can say "they offer nothing to our future" but the fact is we need them today. We have injuries but nothing out of the ordinary, and injuries are the exact reason why you have squad depth. To say we are not better off with 5 international players in our second 11, when we are forced to play tired players, forced to play players out of position and forced to use youngsters (throwing them in at the deep end) is what I consider negligent.

You are right though none of the above are our future, and the freed up the wage bill BUT the huge problem people have is that there is no replacement. You certainly dont wait year(s) till a player develops or wait till can find them in the next window, thats cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Without letting the likes of Bellamy, Kuyt and Maxi go there simply wouldn't be the money available to offer improved contracts to the likes of Skrtl, Agger and Suarez. That would leave us to over stretch finacially to keep our better players or risk loosing them as they look for better wages elsewhere. All three we let go were approaching the twighlight of careers, offering less and less in terms of playing performances and were preventing the younger players like Sterling and Suso from breaking through.

Im quite happy to see squad players and some younger players in the league cup and risk getting eliminated as they need some game time to see how they cope. Had we kept those three older players and had the likes of Sterling, Suso and Shelvey playing in games like last night then we might have gotten further in the league but we'd be sweating on the lack of improved contracts for our best players as there's no money to pay them and we'd risk seeing these exciting youngsters leaving to find first team football elsewhere. Tom Ince is the perfect example of that happening and without the game time they've had this season due to Maxi, Bellamy and Kuyt leaving we could easily have seen Sterling and Suso both pushing for moves away.

It's a long road and there will be bumps along the way but that side and performace last night was a hell of a lot better than when we went out to Northampton two seasons ago, now that was embarassing and worth getting angry about.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Without letting the likes of Bellamy, Kuyt and Maxi go there simply wouldn't be the money available to offer improved contracts to the likes of Skrtl, Agger and Suarez. That would leave us to over stretch finacially to keep our better players or risk loosing them as they look for better wages elsewhere. All three we let go were approaching the twighlight of careers, offering less and less in terms of playing performances and were preventing the younger players like Sterling and Suso from breaking through.

Im quite happy to see squad players and some younger players in the league cup and risk getting eliminated as they need some game time to see how they cope. Had we kept those three older players and had the likes of Sterling, Suso and Shelvey playing in games like last night then we might have gotten further in the league but we'd be sweating on the lack of improved contracts for our best players as there's no money to pay them and we'd risk seeing these exciting youngsters leaving to find first team football elsewhere. Tom Ince is the perfect example of that happening and without the game time they've had this season due to Maxi, Bellamy and Kuyt leaving we could easily have seen Sterling and Suso both pushing for moves away.

It's a long road and there will be bumps along the way but that side and performace last night was a hell of a lot better than when we went out to Northampton two seasons ago, now that was embarassing and worth getting angry about.
Didn't see it.
Followed it on twitter.
Ruined a perfectly good Halloween.
Depressed.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
It's like it's not ok to be ambitious for the team anymore.
We just got trashed by swansea at home, and then you stupid for not see it coming.

rab

Didn't see it.
Followed it on twitter.
Ruined a perfectly good Halloween.
Depressed.
You'd probably be more depressed if you'd seen it as it wasn't a good performance. Saying that we had Henderson at right back, Carragher at centre back, Downing right wing, Joe Cole in the middle and a teenager up front starting his first game. If people thought we'd walk it with that team against what are a decent Premiership side then perhaps expectations need adjusting.

Only other option is to put out our best team every game but with a paper thin squad particuarly in terms of attaching players then we'll see players burnt out for the more important upcoming league games.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Not IMO. Rodgers has freed up a massive amount of wage bill - shame he couldn't have freed up the millions we are paying Joe Cole and Stewart Downing to produce the square root of F8ck all each year as well. If we'd have kept any/some of the players you named we would have been prevented from buying BR type players.

We had to get rid of the players you names, not because they wouldn't have added to the squad short term - they would have added something, but it wasn't enough. By getting rid we are now free to buy players who will contribute enough, and for a good long while. Not all will be youth that need time to develop. The 90k spent on Cole would get us a very good player, maybe two. I would rather we saved the wages Adam, Maxi, Kuyt, Spearing and Carroll were earning by getting rid when we could, thereby leaving us with the funds to buy the right player when he becomes available. Personally would have tried to keep Bellamy because he added greatly when he played, and scored useful goals, he was value for money.

It's knee-jerkist at it's finest to not look at the medium to long term. We right-royally messed up in the transfer window, we're short of players unquestionably, but give it another 2/3 transfer windows and the squad will be massively improved. Keeping the players you named, even Maxi and Bellamy who could contribute short term, would have prevented that from happening by not allowing the funds for wages to be available.

Lose Carragher, Cole and Downing off the wage bill, and replace with 3/4 genuine top class players and the squad will look a whole lot better. Patience is required though, not massive over-reactions at getting knocked out of the tin pot cup.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
A wise decision today can look foolish tomorrow.

Undoubtedly everyone loves seeing youth players come through and that is the right thing. In my mind though we let too many experienced players go from an already small squad. Kenny mentioned that his squad was small just today on the radio. We should have replaced like for like and added a couple more players, not cut further.

Your looking at it from the the angle how much we are saving,rather than money we are likely to lose.

On a very basic level, what happens to our season if tomorrow Suarez falls down the stairs and is unable to play for the rest of the season. That 2 or 3 M saved in wages for Bellamy or Kuyt, now looks rather foolish as we are forced to over pay for a striker in January as clubs hold us to ransom or we finish lower due to having to rely an 18 year old with no experience.

Even if that worst case scenario does not happen. We all know a PL campaign is won on squad depth rather than team strength. We are just approaching the harsh winter campaign now. November/December/January is when players play the most games and we become more stretched. If we keep relying upon Allen in every game, Suarez in every game, Gerrard in every game how long do you thing it will be before they burn out ? before they get injured by playing 3 games in just over a week ? or simply become fatigued.

You said it yourself when Lucas got injured, we over relied upon him and he was required to do too much leading to his injury. That is exactly what we are doing with our attacking players today. We are on the verge of a disastrous season and only good luck can prevent it happening.

No one knows how much better we would do in the League/FA cup/ Carling Cup/ Europa league (as we dont know how lucky we will be with injuries/form/fatigue). But I would hazard a guess by the end of this season we are no better off then we would have been having kept 2 or 3 players given we would likely proceed further in those competitions. I think its 21 games alone to the europa league and perhaps we would finish higher up in the league (approx 1M per position prize money alone, let alone increased commercial revenue). Not to mention would we have progressed against Swansea ? or how much further we might get in the FA cup

Thats why I see it as false economy. The 6 or 7M we save in wages are negated by not performing to our potential.

POOL4EVER

TIA Youth Team
Dissapointed we didnt start with Suarez, Gerrard and another "first teamer" as our starting line up was too weak against a well established footballing team Swansea team. Get ahead in the match and then take off Suarez etc as we are not even playing Newcastle till 4 on sunday - same as putting them on for second half but we may still have been in QF with a home tie against a Championship team. Given the teams left in it we could well have got further so I think it would have been worth it and I dont think it would have taken too much out of players.

Why BR played Henderson ( a hardworking midfielder) at full back I dont know and then compound it after by stating that Allen was on his own in midfield !! Thought Shelvey struggled but he was probably stuck between going forward and trying to help out Allen so its no suprise we were light there. Could have played Carra right back ( or put Downing there ) and Coates with Agger or the "turtle" and Robinson on left.

I

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
some fascinating points from both zags and ISMF.

keep it up lads.

dissappointed to hear the treatment of yesil.

Bambii

TIA Reserve Team
Dissapointed we didnt start with Suarez, Gerrard and another "first teamer" as our starting line up was too weak against a well established footballing team Swansea team. Get ahead in the match and then take off Suarez etc as we are not even playing Newcastle till 4 on sunday - same as putting them on for second half but we may still have been in QF with a home tie against a Championship team. Given the teams left in it we could well have got further so I think it would have been worth it and I dont think it would have taken too much out of players.

Why BR played Henderson ( a hardworking midfielder) at full back I dont know and then compound it after by stating that Allen was on his own in midfield !! Thought Shelvey struggled but he was probably stuck between going forward and trying to help out Allen so its no suprise we were light there. Could have played Carra right back ( or put Downing there ) and Coates with Agger or the "turtle" and Robinson on left.

I
Me too. It is beyond me that a player needs a week rest. If they can't play 2/3 times a week they shouldn't be here

sanjay_sai_rpt

Klopp the shit outta every team!
Me too. It is beyond me that a player needs a week rest. If they can't play 2/3 times a week they shouldn't be here
Are you kidding? So now that Gerrard is 30+ years old and cant play 3 games week, he shouldn't be here?

Its not about just the physical capability... Its about the mental rest as well... How many times have you felt that you are able to do your job much better after a week's vacation? Time between games gives our top players much needed physical AND mental rest.

POOL4EVER

TIA Youth Team
Also its interesting as in order to match King Kennys achievement last year we now have to finish higher than 8th ( which may be difficult if we don`t start picking up much more points) or win either the FA Cup or Europa League !

It suggests to me that FSG have told BR that trophies wont decide how long he stays in the short term anyway - but that we need the 4th or better spot.

sanjay_sai_rpt

Klopp the shit outta every team!
Also its interesting as in order to match King Kennys achievement last year we now have to finish higher than 8th ( which may be difficult if we don`t start picking up much more points) or win either the FA Cup or Europa League !

It suggests to me that FSG have told BR that trophies wont decide how long he stays in the short term anyway - but that we need the 4th or better spot.
I am not 100% sure if we will finish above 8th this season - but i am also sure that wouldnt prompt the owners to let BR go... I think they have faith in BR and will be patient atleast for a few years...

POOL4EVER

TIA Youth Team
I agree that he would not be got rid of and I for one dont think that would be the right move. We need stability and from this we will progress and grow. Good noises are being made about the redevelopment of Anfield and we seem to be doing well from a commercial side but I do feel that we must spend in Jan before its too late to achieve a high finish and this would stunt our progress - my heart says 4th is the best we can get but my head says top 6 is more realistic.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Sorry, but what exactly do comments like this aim to do? Are people insisting that Rodgers should be sacked like Kenny if he doesn't do at least as well? Are people implicitly undermining support for the current manager by talking about the previous manager all the time? Not saying you personally mean ill by it, but I find these things to be unhelpful and making things unpleasant in the extreme for Rodgers.