• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 2-2 Chelsea

Lucas

Clutching at straws somewhat, but surely Friend would have put it in the report because he went to speak to both players and was shown what happened by Ivanovic. In any case, Luis should accept what he has coming.

grooveshark

Banned Users
Johnny T. said:
Reality check..........

Suarez is our best player by a mile, hence the Fergie/SKY fuelled bashing of the player. Accept his bit of crass stupidity, accept the inevitable punishment and embrace rather than berate him. Even the brightest diamond can have a flaw.

I love the Tom Waits analogy, hard work but worth it.
people need to get real, Suarez messed, it has somewhat given the likes of Sky the opportunity to milk a story. He doesnt mess up, they have nothing.

Cant be looking to play victim in this. Needs to be fined, banned if the authorities deem it fit and for the team to move on

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
legalalien said:
At the risk of repeating myself, i have to ask if the FA can actually take any action against Luis. As I understand it, the FA can only punish a player if the ref has seen the offence and included it in his report. It seems to me that the ref didn't see it and very recent precedent would therefore indicate that the FA cannot do anything.

If that is the case, should the club hand out its own ban? I think the answer to that is yes, but the club really needs to hear from the FA asap as to whether or not they will take any action.
The FA can only take action if the referee HAS NOT seen the incident.

The ref said he didn't see it, therefore the FA CAN take action.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
And they will.

Liverpool need to wait until the wise men at the FA have had their say before taking action.

RedLaw

JFT96
The bite alone is not enough for us to consider accepting an offer for him in the summer. It's everything else that's he's done before, as well as this, which makes his position close to untenable.

We can debate all day long about the Evra incident, but what cannot be denied is how much of a twat he made Kenny look by not shaking his hand in the reverse fixture. Kenny said he would shake his hand. For Suarez not to do so completely undermined his authority and was a massive slap in the face to the guy who defended him more than anyone. There's no doubting the whole incident and how it was dealt with was taken into account in FSG's decision to sack Kenny.

You have to accept he's going to carry on like this. He's the type of character who never learns from his past mistakes. If he does stay he will inevitably do something again, quite possibly much worse and again he'll continue to damage our club's reputation.

Just where do you draw the line?

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Hope in your heart said:
As said, if they'd do this, then they would display to everyone just how clueless and stupid they are, as it would be both a sporting and an economical hit, for the club and thus for themselves. Fortunately, we aren't at that point yet. :)
Well, i wouldn't say they are stupid but certainly clueless. Till this day, they had a hand in almost every fuck-ups in the club from failure to back suarez in evra-gate to the excessive faith placed in commolli's negotiation skills....Remember for them, Image is number one....

indianscouser said:
Wont happen. They may be business men but they know their limits. You dont touch a fan favorite. Seeling suarez would like selling gerrard. It wont go down well with fans especially if suarez wants to stay. From business point of view, it makes no sense as you are crippling the club financially for the next 3 years as no class player in their sane mind would join us. With out suarez we are a headless chicken.
I wouldn't be holding my breathe if they sell a fan favourite....if they can sack managers who are fan favourite, why not sell players?

I think from the business POV, the money raised from selling suarez will be substantial and can help plug in the gaps at many places in the squad...i think what you mean is from the football POV...
ptt said:
Really good game, we fought and tried to the last minute which is highly commendable. Reina was lucky to hold the Luis free kick, not a brilliant strike but a nasty bounce.

But my word Suarez is at times unbelievably stupid. That's the behaviour of a 4 year old, not a professional footballer. It's shockingly poor conduct. Yes, he broke no legs nor drew no blood but biting? Horrible, obnoxious conduct. For everybody who thinks it's not that bad, if Lampard had have bitten Gerrard, you'd be calling for his blood.

Fortunately, our PR department and management got it spot on. Almost instant apology, statement and condemnation. Exactly what we should have done last time. He'll get a slap on the wrist (historical prescedent, Defoe I think) and maybe get 3 games.

No player is bigger than the club, I'd be telling him that if he even blows his nose too loud he'll be sold to the highest bidder. I don't think this justifies it though as it's just unbelievably childish rather than mallicious.

MOTM Sturridge by far. Worryingly, after most of a season's games, Lucas is slow, positionaly poor, clumsy and looking way off the pace.
It's quite astonishing that after having so many players at the midfield, we still need more midfielders....

SF Red

TIA Regular
charleslee89 said:
It's quite astonishing that after having so many players at the midfield, we still need more midfielders....
IMO we don't have the right balance of midfielders. You could have 12 CBs and say the same thing about defenders.

I fail to see how he has damaged the club's reputation with this incident. Sure he has damaged his own reputation (which going by the English media was already damaged near maximum anyway) but I haven't really seen anyone criticising the club itself over his actions yesterday. We have officially condemned his actions and made him apologise. There's not much more we can do besides wait for the FA to hand out their ban.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
SF Red said:
IMO we don't have the right balance of midfielders. You could have 12 CBs and say the same thing about defenders.
i get what you mean..but why in the world we didn't rectify this problem in the transfer windows?

SF Red

TIA Regular
charleslee89 said:
i get what you mean..but why in the world we didn't rectify this problem in the transfer windows?
The AM issue was one of Gerrard - Rodgers thought Gerrard could play at AM in his system and it didn't work out.

The DM issue is one that hasn't been addressed for 2 years now. I think that Rodgers thought Allen could deputize for Lucas, but he clearly can't with Gerrard next to him. To be fair to Rodgers, Allen was quite good there in the Olympics.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
After some reflection, it was a moment of madness, and he has apologised from the bottom of his heart and that's more than good enough for me. If the club can internally deal with it, I think this would be the best resolution. I think the FA are going to give him a lengthy ban as they want to make an example of him but if the ref didn't see it surely they shouldn't be involved here. They need to look at themselves in the mirror and see some of the bad decisions they have made in the past. I don't blame Terry for not shaking hands with Bernstein tbh.

Any talk of of selling Suarez is frankly ludicrous. The media just keep regurgitating the same old story now and its so tedious. It was so annoying the way they were grilling Brendan and Rafa to comment on the incident and they didn't even ask one footballing question and that's poor journalism. I just get the feeling now that they are trying to find a way to force a situation that eventually will make Suarez want to leave on his own accord, as he is in very high demand with big European clubs. I hope our club have a plan to counter act this potential situation and keep him.

I have to give a little credit to Chelsea, they didn't make a big fuss over this incident, even Terry laughed it off saying that Ivanovic was not bitten hard enough. ManU would have had a field day over this if it was one of their players.

Edited.

Maria said:
After some reflection, it was a moment of madness, and he has apologised from the bottom of his heart and that's more than good enough for me. The FA are going to give him a lengthy ban as they want to make an example of him. They should look at themselves in the mirror and see some of the bad decisions they have made. I don't blame Terry for not shaking hands with Bernstein tbh.

Any talk of of selling Suarez is frankly ludicrous. The media just keep regurgitating the same old story now and its so tedious. It was so annoying the way they were grilling Brendan and Rafa to comment on the incident and they didn't even ask one footballing question and that's poor journalism
I just get the feeling now that they are trying to find a way to force a situation that eventually will make Suarez want to leave on his own accord, as he is in very high demand with big European clubs. I hope our club have a plan to counter act this potential situation and keep him.

I have to give a little credit to Chelsea, they didn't make a big fuss over this incident, even Terry laughed it off saying that Ivanovic was not bitten hard enough. ManU would have had a field day over this if it was one of their players
Great post Maria. Pretty much agree with everything you said. Also I liked Ivanovic before this incident (he seems like a sound guy in general and it was sad to see his reaction at finding out he was going to be suspended for the CL final) and the way he has acted after it has only increased my respect of him. Didn't make a huge deal out of it to gain publicity and accepted Suarez's phone call and apology. And like you said if it had been the Mancs all hell would have broken loose had Suarez even just breathed the wrong way in Ferdinand's face.

Maria

Ad-free Member
liverpool_singh said:
Great post Maria. Pretty much agree with everything you said. Also I liked Ivanovic before this incident (he seems like a sound guy in general and it was sad to see his reaction at finding out he was going to be suspended for the CL final) and the way he has acted after it has only increased my respect of him. Didn't make a huge deal out of it to gain publicity and accepted Suarez's phone call and apology. And like you said if it had been the Mancs all hell would have broken loose had Suarez even just breathed the wrong way in Ferdinand's face.
I am totally with you on this. I must admit at first I was shocked though, but after some time reflecting on it was an unfortunate incident, and I think it was out of character for him, he was working his poor socks off and he was at the end of his tether with the way things were going on the pitch at the time, he lost the ball and not getting his shots on target etc, it was his mini breakdown kind of thing. ManU are such wimps, they cry even if they don't get their water bottles on time let alone any opposing player touching them

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
I am more angry that Downing started instead of Danny Sturridge than I am at Luis.

Libero

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez on Twitter: (external) "For my unacceptable behaviour yesterday the club has fined me today, I have asked the club to donate the money to the Hillsborough Family Support Group for the inconvenience I have created to the Liverpool fans and to Ivanovic."

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Torres elbowing Carragher is a different topic.

Suarez being a complete idiot is a topic on it's own. I'd wish our manager would have some fucking balls and tell it like it is.

We are neither stupid, nor blind to the fact we have a striker who loses his head and does stupid things that can and does embarrass the club, it's history and practically every supporter out there.

It was completely unneccessary and dangerous.

People contract diseases from this and do go to jail for these things (bitting).

What the hell is happening to this club?

Maria

Ad-free Member
Luis is really redeeming himself, he must feel terrible about his 'moment of madness. This is a great gesture.

I really think we should all rally round Luis now and give him all the support he needs.

SUPER PORK CHOP said:

Suarez being a complete idiot is a topic on it's own. I'd wish our manager would have some fucking balls and tell it like it is.

We are neither stupid, nor blind to the fact we have a striker who loses his head and does stupid things that can and does embarrass the club, it's history and practically every supporter out there.

People contract diseases from this and do go to jail for these things (bitting).

I am sure Ivanovic has had a tetanus jab, so he'll be covered.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
SUPER PORK CHOP said:

The club can't really do much more unless we're going to start publically hanging him.

He drew no blood, and it was stupid. He's apologised.

As for contracting diseases - the club screen players for these things. He's hardly full of crystal meth, even though he acts like it at times.

Moment of madness, lost his head, it was hugely wrong, but I think the club and Suarez have done what they can and it's not in the hands of the media to play their usual games.

The media are like a pod of killer whales playing with a seal pup. Problem with Suarez is he doesn't play dead long enough for the media to get bored of him.

darren kelly

Ivanovic is not pressing charges so nothing will happen in court.If this was in the street you would have to take it to the cops to get cash from suing the attacker.

RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
[SIZE=medium]Great game for a neutral. Chelsea held the upper hand in the I half but LFC came back strong and should have had a couple of goals before the equaliser. What happened after is a story by itself. Suarez conceding a pen. Hazard converting it. Nothing goes right for Suarez. The biting incident. Then a last minute, last gasp equaliser by....who else, but Suarez.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It is really sad that such a wonderful player has to be so immature. There are a lot of ways to release your pent up frustration, but biting somebody....!! And this is not the first time that he has done so on a football pitch.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]No point in trying to find a way out of this. LFC fans and the management have to live with this. As long as you have Suarez, controversy is not going to be far away. Very dissapointing that our season is petering out like this. Three draws now. 5 points away from the bluenoses....are we going to catch them at least?[/SIZE]

jabu

TIA New Signing
parts of comments from ian ayre on suarez situation:

Will the events of the last 24 hours have any bearing on Luis's future at Liverpool Football Club?
Not at all. It affects his future in the sense that we have to work with him on his discipline - but Luis is a very important player to the club. He's a very popular player with his teammates. As we keep saying, he signed a new four-year contract last summer and we'd all love to see him here throughout that contract. He's a fantastic player, top scorer and everything we'd want in a striker, so there's no change there. This is more about getting him back on the right track and it's largely down to Brendan now to work with him on that side of his character.

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
To me it was just a "play fight" bite

However we all know where the media is going to take this and how well they have convinced us including our own fans how terrible it was

It wasn't as bad as everyone thinks but personally I love villains in football. It makes the game more exciting puts Liverpool in the media and if you know anything about marketing even bad publicity is good publicity

6 months people will forget the details about it but remember the name

Ill take a team of Suarez"s any day and all day

jabu

TIA New Signing
jabu said:
parts of comments from ian ayre on suarez situation:

Will the events of the last 24 hours have any bearing on Luis's future at Liverpool Football Club?
Not at all. It affects his future in the sense that we have to work with him on his discipline - but Luis is a very important player to the club. He's a very popular player with his teammates. As we keep saying, he signed a new four-year contract last summer and we'd all love to see him here throughout that contract. He's a fantastic player, top scorer and everything we'd want in a striker, so there's no change there. This is more about getting him back on the right track and it's largely down to Brendan now to work with him on that side of his character.

Ian, everyone is still talking about Sunday's incident with Luis Suarez. What is the latest on the situation?
I think the most important thing is that we acted swiftly yesterday. Luis issued his apology and then we spoke with him last night and then again this morning. We've taken action to fine Luis for his actions. Brendan has spoken to him and I've spoken to him, and Brendan will be working with him further on his discipline. You can see when you speak to him how sorry he is about it and he's certainly shown quite a lot of contrition to us - and as part of that, he's also asked we donate the fine to the Hillsborough Family Support Group. I think he felt like he let a lot of people down yesterday. We'll work with Luis - Brendan particularly - on this side of his character in his game. Hopefully that puts the matter to rest from our point of view and we'll wait and see if there's any further action from the football authorities.

Libero

Good comments by ayre imo, good to see the club has acted swiftly in this regard.

darren kelly

Liverpool FC managing director Ian Ayre today provided an update on the incident that occurred involving Luis Suarez during Sunday's game with Chelsea. Here is what he had to say in full.

Ian, everyone is still talking about Sunday's incident with Luis Suarez. What is the latest on the situation?
I think the most important thing is that we acted swiftly yesterday. Luis issued his apology and then we spoke with him last night and then again this morning. We've taken action to fine Luis for his actions. Brendan has spoken to him and I've spoken to him, and Brendan will be working with him further on his discipline. You can see when you speak to him how sorry he is about it and he's certainly shown quite a lot of contrition to us - and as part of that, he's also asked we donate the fine to the Hillsborough Family Support Group. I think he felt like he let a lot of people down yesterday. We'll work with Luis - Brendan particularly - on this side of his character in his game. Hopefully that puts the matter to rest from our point of view and we'll wait and see if there's any further action from the football authorities.
Have you had any contact with the owners regarding this situation?
Yes, of course. With any incident like this, any major incident at the club, we're in direct dialogue with the owners, always. I spoke to them last night and they were happy with the way we were handling the matter.

Ayre on Suarez

Not at all. It affects his future in the sense that we have to work with him on his discipline - but Luis is a very important player to the club. He's a very popular player with his teammates. As we keep saying, he signed a new four-year contract last summer and we'd all love to see him here throughout that contract. He's a fantastic player, top scorer and everything we'd want in a striker, so there's no change there. This is more about getting him back on the right track and it's largely down to Brendan now to work with him on that side of his character

jabu

TIA New Signing
we have done all we can on our side. we will probably get him a therapist as well... now we await the self-righteous lynch mob to pass its sentence

LeoT

[SIZE=10pt]Firstly, does anyone know the official punishment for Violent Conduct?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Also, well done Ian Ayre.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Suarez has clearly damaged his own reputation by doing something really dumb, then he realised later what an idiot he’d been and apologised.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]We’ve all done that at one time or another.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]However, a small amount of good work by Ian Ayre has ensured that Suarez has not damaged the reputation of the Club or of the fans.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The question is now, what penalty must Suarez pay?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]His actions were clearly Violent Conduct, surely his punishment must fall in line with other acts of Violent Conduct (like stamping, head-butting or elbowing off the ball), any more or less than that would clearly be unfair.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]EDIT: Eden Hazard got a 3 match ban for kicking the ball boy (...probably just as bad as Suarez biting) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Good response from Ayre and the club. Regarding the punishment, I could see the FA using this is an opportunity to make an example again.

If it were up to me I would go with a 1 or 2 match ban as it was violent conduct but no injury was sustained to Ivanovic, Suarez has had no previous red cards this season I believe, but his yellow cards are possibly enough to warrant a further 1 match ban.

So 2 matches, possibly 3. Certainly no more than 4.