• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 2-2 Chelsea

liverbird1975

The sun was beating down the backs of the players as they stood around the six-yard box. The ball was on the penalty spot and behind it was a player whom the club playing at home would call King.

As the shadows of the players cast long shadows around him, the player ran eight steps forward and coolly slotted the ball into the back of the net, bottom right corner. His comeback was complete. This was after an eight-month ban following his infamous kick towards a fan at Selhurst Park.

Later that season, he would be playing against the team in white again. The occasion was the FA Cup final at Wembley. He was the captain and scored the only goal which sent his club to winning a famous double.

The date as 1 October 1995.

The player was one of the most infamous ever to grace the English game. To the Mancs, his crime that led to his ban was merely a footnote in the annals of the club. It was because of him, Manchester United could go on the ascendency and establish a glorious foothold in England and then Europe.

I remember watching him aim his leg at the fan. I couldn't remember if the English media were all over it like a rash. The rabies of sensational journalism that Sky is famous for these days were in their infancy. But outside of Old Trashford, he was a vilified and flawed genius. Still, the Mancs crowned him King. King Eric.

For the team in white, the last King to grace the hallowed turfs of Anfield was Kenny Dalglish. First as a player, then a player-manager before becoming a full-fledged manager, he took over from Joe Fagan following the Heysel tragedy. Liverpool FC, which conquered Europe and won almost everything in the English game, was dumped out of Europe. Many remembered the King fondly. Unlike the King the Mancs crowned, there was nothing negative about King Kenny of Liverpool. He conducted himself well, both as a player and a manager. Yet, circumstances following Hillsborough unraveled and he left the club he served, he supported and he brought so much glory to. Prematurely.

It would take more than two decades before Anfield found her next King. On the fateful day he was signed, another Kop hero packed his bags for pastures new. When he arrived on the fair shores of England, many fans already knew about his reputation (both in Dutch football and the World Cup). Little did we know that Luis Suarez would bring so much delight, so much joy and so much excitement to Liverpool FC, a club still recovering from the two tragedies in the 1980s.

It didn't take long before he was crowned King.

In Luis Suarez, we see a player who is one of us. A man who wears his passion for the game and for the club beyond the red jersey with the Liverbird on his chest. The last gasp equaliser against the Rent Boys was the thirtieth goal he scored; the first Liverpool player to do so since Fernando Torres.

In the eyes of many, he is one of the world's best players. This is something the Mancs never claimed with their King Eric. But not to the Anfield faithful.

As the media hounds continue to flog a horse dead for more than fifteen months, Luis has issued an apology twice and donated the wages he was fined to a charity that is close to the hearts of every Liverpool supporter. The hounds will continue to bay for his blood and nothing will satiate them until he leaves the English game.

But Luis is one of us. He is our King. His act yesterday was deplorable and has no place in the game. Yet, he has apologised. He has made amends (apparently at the time of writing) with his victim. The club has handled the matter firmly and the player has indicated that he was ready for punishment from the lords of the game.

Given the right conditions, I have faith that Luis Suarez will bring that almost mystical 19th league title to Liverpool FC. All he needs a little more understanding, patience, therapy and time. He will be our King and more. Someone who will leave an indelible mark in the history of our beloved club more than King Eric did for and with the Mancs.

He has my support. He is one of the greatest players ever to play on the hallowed turf. He is one of us (remember the pure delight etched on his face when we beat the Mancs at Anfield in the FA Cup last season). He will never walk alone.

PS: The Mancs had their two villains - Eric and Roy “I'll break yer legs” Keane. Were they ever flogged just as hard by the media hounds?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Three matches is the going rate for violent conduct, and that's what I'd expect Suarez to receive.

Anything more than that (remember Terry only got four for racial abuse) and we're into very murky territory. Talk of double figures is absolutely insane. Hazard kicked a ball boy and only got three.

But I wouldn't put it past the wise heads at the FA to decide that we have to stamp biting out of the game and give Suarez eight games. And Robert Huth can give them all the help they want on how to stamp properly.

I still maintain that the games Moral Compass is defective to be more outraged by a bite that ultimately is pretty harmless, than the reckless tackles that fly in regularly. There were about three in the match yesterday (Sturridge on Bertrand, Shelvey on Mata and Torres on Carra) that could have caused more damage than a bite ever would.

Whenever Suarez does something like this it just throws into sharp relief how ridiculous the English game is. Feigning an injury or diving is despicable, but appealing for decisions that you know full well you are not entitled to is part of the game. Waving an imaginary card is a disgrace but surrounding a ref and screaming in his face is accepted. Not a word on the good old fashioned leg breaking tackles that we're so proud of, but plenty to say on the more 'girly' ways to hurt an opponent.

The English game needs to get it's house in order before coming the 'dirty cheating foreigners' line that we're no doubt about to see wheeled out again.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
How damage Luis will do the club? Just ask a Manc.

Did any of them tell us to keep Luis? NO. They know that having him out of the picture do us more harm than good, that's why they are on high horse and try to ride us all onto their boat.

And honestly how terrible it is, is a matter of opinion. Maybe you British found it outrage as biting as coward unacceptable acts. I simply think it is more of a symbol of struggle, and unbiasesly talking, can't distinguish it away from any other violent conduct. Just like I found an act of on pitch revenge (hard tackle against the one who just steal his ball) is worst conduct and should be red every time. Don't think many agree with that here.

Still understand what the point of biting through

Mascot88

Admin
Just for clarity you can believe that the bite was despicable, moronic and ridiculous and still think the reaction to it - or lack of reaction to other problems in the game - is over the top.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Listen, a lot of these football players, who we all completely love, are idiots and scumbags, off and/or on the pitch. It happens all the time. Suarez bites someone, Terry can't keep it in his pants, Gerrard beat the complete sh*t out of a guy for refusing to play Phil Collins (I would have done the same, I love Phil). Luis was stupid for doing this, we've seen him act stupid on several occasions in fact but what he brings to the club by far outweighs these incidents. It's a bit of bad press from the media who are poised to give Luis bad press for just about anything he does. In the end, who cares, he's an athlete, he'll be forgiven and it'll be forgotten. This talk about selling him is nonsense.

Not to mention, a bite is creepy and weird, but it's hardly a career threatening tackle or malicious stomp. I don't even think it's that bad. He'll be fined and banned, end of story.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Mascot88 said:
Just for clarity you can believe that the bite was despicable, moronic and ridiculous and still think the reaction to it - or lack of reaction to other problems in the game - is over the top.
If he were an average player, do you think he would still be playing for us next year?

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
ChicagoRed said:
If he were an average player, do you think he would still be playing for us next year?
I hope not, we should be looking to sell our average players, cannibals or otherwise :)

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Just like to add that it's not as bad as spitting in my opinion. That is outright vile

Mascot88

Admin
Dhoff3 said:
Listen, a lot of these football players, who we all completely love, are idiots and scumbags, off and/or on the pitch. It happens all the time. Suarez bites someone, Terry can't keep it in his pants, Gerrard beat the complete sh*t out of a guy for refusing to play Phil Collins (I would have done the same, I love Phil). Luis was stupid for doing this, we've seen him act stupid on several occasions in fact but what he brings to the club by far outweighs these incidents. It's a bit of bad press from the media who are poised to give Luis bad press for just about anything he does. In the end, who cares, he's an athlete, he'll be forgiven and it'll be forgotten. This talk about selling him is nonsense.

Not to mention, a bite is creepy and weird, but it's hardly a career threatening tackle or malicious stomp. I don't even think it's that bad. He'll be fined and banned, end of story.
Eden Hazard kicks a child. Rio Ferdinand misses a drugs test. Cantona assaults a fan. Roy Keane sets out to deliberately injure another player. John Terry makes an actual racist comment at a fan. Carlos Tevez goes AWOL. Ashley Cole shoots a work experience buy with an air rifle. Terry shags his teammates wife. Mario Balotelli throws darts out of a window at youth players.

Moral compass. Broken. Laughable.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
gasband said:
Tackles are part of the game, studs out, knee high etc..... So it is just a matter of which tackles are bad and good. Biting someone....I cannot see how it is part of the game. If we accept such behaviours as part of the game. Whats next? Pulling down the shorts of the keeper at a corner? Stuff smelly socks into someone's mouth? Still now that Suarez has apologized, the club should take that into context, give him a fine and apologized and let the FA do whatever shite they want to do and accept it, move on and Suarez will still be our player of the season this year and next year.

Repeating my question just in case someone knows. Why is Ian AYre going to Australia? Personal holiday/trip or going there to negotiate for Rojas?
Going to guess, but probably has something to do with setting up the summer tour.

Mascot88

Admin
ChicagoRed said:
Let's see what happens to Jonjo 'studs up' Shelvey.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Mascot88 said:
Let's see what happens to Jonjo 'studs up' Shelvey.
Going studs up and biting a person is not even comparable.
One is apart of the game and one isn't. Anybody who is above the age of 5 should know that.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
ChicagoRed said:
Yes I do. Lets say he was average PL striker as you say and worth 10M, would the club be prepared to flush that money down the toilet ?

We all know the club is run as a business, in which case the prudent action (if you felt he was having such a negative effect on the clubs image) would be to sell him the following summer when his value has recovered.

jimbo

TIA Regular
just heard fans are going to wear hanibal lecture costumes next game

souness said suarez is an embarassment to our Club, Souness was an embarassment as a manager!

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
i_still_miss_fowler said:
Yes I do. Lets say he was average PL striker as you say and worth 10M, would the club be prepared to flush that money down the toilet ?

We all know the club is run as a business, in which case the prudent action (if you felt he was having such a negative effect on the clubs image) would be to sell him the following summer when his value has recovered.
That's assuming his value will recover after one season of 'clean' behavior. There could be permanent effects to his value.
I wonder how many more incidents until the lads in the locker room get tired of it themselves, regardless of how great he is.

S

showmethemoney

Mascot88 said:
Three matches is the going rate for violent conduct, and that's what I'd expect Suarez to receive.
Not me. I'd say 10 mate.

Sadly, even though you posted some of the misdemeanours carried out by other players, I bet they will come down hard & clobber him big time this time.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
jimbo said:
just heard fans are going to wear hanibal lecture costumes next game

souness said suarez is an embarassment to our Club, Souness was an embarassment as a manager!
Sadly, Souness has become a far greater embarassment. Suarez did an appallingly stupid thing in an instant, and undoubtedly feels worse about it than anyone now. It probably shows sign of some mental imbalance. Souness had time to think critically, and decided that he would engage with the S*n in an attack on Suarez and LFC. For a player of his generation to choose to show such callous disregard for Hillsborough on this weekend of all weekends is disgraceful.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
showmethemoney said:
Not me. I'd say 10 mate.

Sadly, even though you posted some of the misdemeanours carried out by other players, I bet they will come down hard & clobber him big time this time.
In all fairness, they should clobber him. This is the second time he has commited this offense, and the first time was a 7 game suspension. I think that will be the starting point and they will add on from their. My gut says 10 as well

Mascot88

Admin
ChicagoRed said:
Going studs up and biting a person is not even comparable.
One is apart of the game and one isn't. Anybody who is above the age of 5 should know that.
This 'it's part of the game' shit is the problem with football. Who decides what is part of the game and what isn't?

Unless Suarez has rabies, there is no way he can hurt a player by biting him more than he can by going in with a high foot on his knee.

What Keane did to Haaland is magnitudes worse than Suarez biting Ivanovic.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Clive said:
Great post and I agree with the majority of the content. One thing that is worth conceding though is that biting evokes a certain unsavoury image, unlike studs up tackles, elbows, kicks etc that are also intentional and dangerous, but don't involve putting your teeth into someone else.

Think Tyson vs Holyfield. Would it have been such a big deal had mike belted Evander in the cods?

Biting is a despicable act. It's bad news for Luis and the club. Hopefully he will get through it.
Ok Mike Tyson took a bit of Holyfield ear off so that was a bit different. Saurez was stupid to do it but it doesn't merit any more than a 3 match ban and then it will be forgotten after a while. I didn't remember defoe biting Javier mascerano.

The game it self was really good. The second half especially and I think we deserved the win.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Mascot88 said:
This 'it's part of the game' shit is the problem with football. Who decides what is part of the game and what isn't?
How many tackles this year have you been able to say 'that was studs up'? How many times this year have you said, 'that player just bit somebody'?

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Arminius said:
Sadly, Souness has become a far greater embarassment. Suarez did an appallingly stupid thing in an instant, and undoubtedly feels worse about it than anyone now. It probably shows sign of some mental imbalance. Souness had time to think critically, and decided that he would engage with the S*n in an attack on Suarez and LFC. For a player of his generation to choose to show such callous disregard for Hillsborough on this weekend of all weekends is disgraceful.
Totally agree with this. Souness seems to forget that the way he played he would be seen as an animal nowadays. Some of his challenges were designed to hurt the other player, not get the ball and some were downright nasty and possibly career ending. I could take this sort of criticism from someone like Kenny, Barnes or Rush who at least played a fair game but Souness, not a chance. It doesn't help that since he was sacked as manager he seems to have nothing good to say about LFC, i know we aren't doing well but you don't see Rushie taking every opportunity to have a dig at the team or players.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Mascot88 said:

Unless Suarez has rabies, there is no way he can hurt a player by biting him more than he can by going in with a high foot on his knee.

What Keane did to Haaland is magnitudes worse than Suarez biting Ivanovic.
So his ban during his time at Ajax was wrong?

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
I think he's going to made an example out of. Have this horrible feeling he's going to get suspended for half the year (19 games)

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Mascot88 said:
There is an argument that can be made, and I am only pointing it out, not trying to defend it, that catching someone with your studs or being late with a challenge happened because you were clumsy or slower than the other guy, but you were still trying to make a play for the ball, no matter how bad the challenge looked or was. In no way can you say that about what Suarez did.

I like to think about these things as if they happened to me. The next time I go out and play a game, I would much rather be on the end of a slightly late challenge than be bitten by someone. I get up limping and yelling at another player after a late challenge, and I would get up and start throwing punches if someone had the balls to bite me durring a game. My hat goes off for Ivanovic for not losing his cool. I would have.

jgw_geneseo said:
In all fairness, they should clobber him. This is the second time he has commited this offense, and the first time was a 7 game suspension. I think that will be the starting point and they will add on from their. My gut says 10 as well
Well that incident happened in a different league so they technically shouldn't use it against him in terms of it being a repeat incident. However, I feel they will use that as a precedent and give him at least a 7 game ban.