• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool 2-2 Chelsea

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
If he gets a 5-7 match ban, he deserves it.

Roy Keane should have not played again, at the very least for that season.

John Terry, well, there are worse punishments in life than those which can be handed out by the FA

S

showmethemoney

jgw_geneseo said:
My hat goes off for Ivanovic for not losing his cool. I would have.
I think Ivanovic is a stand up man.

Not only because he has 'let our man off' - but because of many things.

Most recent of which was when massive wanker & all round tit Geoff Shreeves told him he would miss the 2012 Champions League final with a big stupid fucking inane grin on his face & the way he dealt with that.

As for the biting thing - I'm not sure I would class it much different than being punched tbh.

The one thing I really seriously would lose my rag at is being spitted at. I can't honestly say how I would react with that, but I tell you it wouldn't be good.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I say 6 however he will probably sit out the games til the ban is put in place so it will be next weekend plus maybe the weekend after plus 6, doubt it will be more than 10, Barton's suspension was heightened by other factors, And I know the FA do seem to ban players based on existing rules more nowadays than when they banned the likes of Cantona, if it is half a season then we'll have to find replacements regardless.

As for Lucas I would bring in some competition but I think he will benefit from a pre season that leads to a full season, I wouldn't give up on him yet.

S

showmethemoney

Ian Ayre:
Luis Suarez Stays At Liverpool
[22.04.2013]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqG0jS_MkVk​

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
For me you have to go by the laws of violent conduct. If he gets more than 3 games it would be like saying next time just punch him in the face and break his nose because that's not as bad as biting even though no damage is sustained. I fail to see how that logic can be applied.

Having said that I can see it being closer to 10 than 3 just because of who he is.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
tatemunny said:
To be quite honest Suarez pissed me off more when he conceded the pen
He does that all the time not sure why, usually it doesn't matter as he does it when were attacking but this time it did, a few players do it don't see why or the point of it.

steveo72

TIA Youth Team
Only got through page 12 before I had to remark on this...

Do you really think that this is going to negatively affect the club in terms of sponsors and the like. Come on now. The old adage...Any press, is good press. Give us a bad reputation? No. LS will have a bad reputation. The race debacle does not fit into this mold, but then I again I don't believe that was racism by LS in the first place so that doesn't work here.

LS is unpredictable, people will want to watch LFC just to see what he does, oh that and he's badass at the game. Our fans want to cheer him, opposing fans want to jeer him and will show up for that. The neutrals will want to watch just to see what happens. And the crazy ones out there will love him for being a nut.

With that said, It definitely disappointed the hell out of me, especially b/c it seemed like it came from frustration and not retaliation, which suggests, he's bit...off. But the general public today has short memories and in the future it will be...that one time LS bit someone, not LFC is full of hood rat thugs.

I would actually be a great bit of fun if the next time LS played (whenever that is) he wore a mouth guard or face mask over his mouth...playing fun of himself as he did in front of Moyes when he scored.

steveo72

TIA Youth Team
Oh yeah, and the game was greatly entertaining (2nd half really). You could feel the blood boiling during the game. Carra was a beast besides screwing up his marking on the corner, DS was the game changer. Hendo could have taken a break I thought. And Torres, I used the love the guy but he just looks pathetic now. Must suck to be apart of winning teams but contribute nothing to the cups and titles they win.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
The FA are in a tricky situation.

Anything over 8 games is saying that biting is worst that racism isn't it???

They can see he's got previous, but Saurez' previous was in a different league. Can that be used against him??

Armchair expert

TIA New Signing
BBC report of Defoe bite in 2006

Defoe felt his actions had been "blown out of all proportion".
"The referee was standing over me and if he felt I had done something bad he would have sent me off," said the 24-year-old.
"It doesn't look great on TV and I accept that I have a responsibility to conduct myself in the right way.
"When the West Ham player fouled me, I reacted in a bit of a mischievous way - my character is a little like that at times."
Sports minister Richard Caborn had earlier called for the FA to examine Defoe's actions.

In today's game, he could have been sent off

West Ham boss Alan Pardew

Caborn told The Times: "Any action like this I hope the authorities will decide on. Players in these positions have a responsibility to set a good example."
The incident came towards the end of the first half of Tottenham's 1-0 win at White Hart Lane.
Spurs boss Martin Jol described Defoe's bite as a "comical nibble".
"He was nibbling his arm - there will be no mark. Ask Mascherano if he has got a mark," said Jol.
"It is part of the game. They kicked him three times from behind in 10 minutes and he wanted to show his frustration in a nice, comical way."

606: DEBATE

I agree that it's all been blown up a bit too much, but equally Jol and Defoe's 'mischief' excuses seem like just that to me

YV

606: Have your say

However, Hammers boss Alan Pardew, who saw his side slide to a fifth straight Premiership defeat, did not see the funny side.
"Mascherano brought him down from behind and that was definitely a booking," he said.
"I didn't quite see the reaction from Jermain but it looked like he gestured towards Mascherano but whether there was any contact I don't know.
"In today's game he could have gone. If he was sent off there, it would have changed the game."

Doggie

Resident Optimist
I take everyone noticed Ivanovic stamping on Suarez' foot.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
we scored two excellent goals! and conceded two stupid goals(when was Pepe's last penalty save?), going into the final 4 games of the season and we are still a shambles defending corners or free kicks; how can this still be?!?! Are they really that poor(Carra excepted here!)? Why was Lucas not parked on the near post? If he was then no Chelsea goal! Louis giving away the pen was sheer lunacy, but it happens!

we were poor 1st half and roared awake in the 2nd. bringing

Shelvey though? Not his biggest fan, he does need glasses though as keeps missing!!!

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Blaming on Pepe not saving a penalty is a little harsh to be honest, it was the stupidity of the player sticking his hand up that cost us, however in hindsight I wish that had been his last stupidity of the afternoon.

Wasn't Carragher at fault on the Oscar goal? Apologies if my mind was playing tricks but he was the one who looked like his brushed off.

Have to agree with Shelvey though his miss was poor, hope a few of these young players get minutes however in the final four gamesThe likes of Suso, Shelvey and even Coady, I'd even try wisdom at the back.

S

showmethemoney

I think Jonjo knows he's on borrowed time.

I wonder....will we ever find out who those three names in Brendans envelopes were?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Never Say Never said:
So his ban during his time at Ajax was wrong?
At any point in this thread (or others) have I said I don't think Suarez deserves a lengthy ban?

It's the moral grand standing that pisses me off, and its especially irritating in a game where some utterly dispicable actions are routinely tolerated.

Kontra

TIA Regular
showmethemoney said:
I think Jonjo knows he's on borrowed time.

I wonder....will we ever find out who those three names in Brendans envelopes were?
I think those were empty. A cheap shot to get a reaction out of players. I might be wrong though.

As for Suarez and all the moral high ground, mr. Nice guy will not get you anywhere in the dog eat dog world. He got fined instantly, that's good enough. Not like Ivanovic was bleeding or anything, let's just move on and build the team with Suarez in it.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Chelsea have offered him £250k a week, he's chewing it over.

IrishRed

TIA Reserve Team
Very much, the good, the bad and the ugly at Anfield yesterday. In what promised to be a day in which one of LFC's heroes Rafa Benitez in my view, returned to ground where he once and probably will, grace again.

Another hero on the field, let himself and the club down again. Luis Suarez is a world class player, but he brings world class madness along the way too. No one can defend his actions yesterday. I dont know what was going through his mind at the time. I thought I was seeing things once he did what he did.

The club have acted, with a fine, will there be further sanctions towards Suarez from the club, who knows.

Focusing on the game, I felt Liverpool should have took their chances better, and may have won the game, but we deserved the point. I felt Sturridge when he came on was immense, and should have started, but maybe the next day out.

YNWA.

kwala

TIA Regular
104TOSH said:
we scored two excellent goals! and conceded two stupid goals(when was Pepe's last penalty save?), going into the final 4 games of the season and we are still a shambles defending corners or free kicks; how can this still be?!?! Are they really that poor(Carra excepted here!)? Why was Lucas not parked on the near post? If he was then no Chelsea goal! Louis giving away the pen was sheer lunacy, but it happens!

we were poor 1st half and roared awake in the 2nd. bringing

Shelvey though? Not his biggest fan, he does need glasses though as keeps missing!!!
The first goal Chelsea scored was a farce. Lucas was near post then behind Reina. Agger? (I think) was marking Oscar then he wasn't, Suarez was Marking Torres? Why?. There was absolutely zero organization. I don't think we actually plan defending set pieces. It is a shambles in there. Nobody knows what thier task actually is.

I desperately hope we get a defensive coach in the summer, because 90% of the goals we concede are utter shite. We don't get ripped to shreds, teams don't score goals where you'd say fair enough, that was great play, nothing we could have done about that. Whenever the ball arrives in our box there is just utter mayhem. Nobody has a clue what is going on. We need to defend as a unit, people given designated players to mark, or areas to watch. I mean Fucking Oscar scoring a near post header from a corner? He probably never used his head for anything apart from ball juggling before he arrived at Chelsea.

We are shite at taking dead balls and shite at defending them. Do we actually work on them at all?

Who is our defensive coach? Pascoe?

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
kwala said:
The first goal Chelsea scored was a farce. Lucas was near post then behind Reina. Agger? (I think) was marking Oscar then he wasn't, Suarez was Marking Torres? Why?. There was absolutely zero organization. I don't think we actually plan defending set pieces. It is a shambles in there. Nobody knows what thier task actually is.
It had to be zonal marking. Perhaps some players were getting man-marked, but Oscar shouldn't be one. Carra was the only Liverpool player near Oscar when he scored. I'm not sure if he was suppose to be marking him or not. Gerrard was marking Mikel and Carra was just standing there and came out too late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peF7zGBtNiA

TFC

TIA Squad Member
ChicagoRed said:
I think that's a bit wrong. Carra was the only Liverpool player near Oscar when he scored. I'm not sure if he was suppose to be marking him or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peF7zGBtNiA
The commentators brought it up during the match. At 0:03 of the video you posted, you can see Agger standing right behind Oscar. A bit before that Agger pointed to Oscar and yelled something, that was assumed to be Agger saying he's marking Oscar.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
TFC said:
The commentators brought it up during the match. At 0:03 of the video you posted, you can see Agger standing right behind Oscar. A bit before that Agger pointed to Oscar and yelled something, that was assumed to be Agger saying he's marking Oscar.
I edited my post as I replayed the vid a few times. Above I think it was zonal marking. Gerrard had Mikel, Agger let Oscar go and Carra was standing there late to come out.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
ChicagoRed said:
Going studs up and biting a person is not even comparable.
One is apart of the game and one isn't. Anybody who is above the age of 5 should know that.
It is comparable if the player who goes in studs showing makes contact and does some damage and then gets away with it because the referee and the linesmen didn't 'see it.'

kwala

TIA Regular
TFC said:
That is the problem. Agger had him then didn't. Did he pass him on to Carra? Did Carra know he was passing him on? What are our 2 CB's doing dealing with Oscar in the first place? Surely Lucas, Downing or Coutinho are capable of dealing with him? If players were designated players to mark, stupid shite like this doesn't happen. Even If we set up Zonally, someone has got to be told to attack the near post. What was Lucas doing? He was near post, and than ended up Behind Reina? Was it man to man? Zonal? A mixture of the 2? IT WAS UTTER MAYHEM.

I don't think our defenders have a clue what they are supposed to be doing at dead balls, and we concede at an alarming rate as a result. The best signing we can make this summer is someone to sort out the defence. We will get nowhere conceding soft goals week in week out next season either.