• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool 2 Hull City 0

Kinny Riddle

TIA New Signing
Happy New Year folks. Missed the first half, though came in just in time to see Suarez's perfect free kick. Just watching the second half, it was the dominating Liverpool once again prior to the two set-backs against Man City and the Chavs.

And Gerrard is slowly coming back into the squad, the January transfer window has opened at last. Crisis? What crisis? B)

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Will comment when I watch later but it is a win and a good start to 2014 plus Suarez is back scoring, reversed some of the pain of that 3-1 at Hull. Plus back in 4th.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Coutinho seems desperate for a goal. I hope he gets one really soon.

I missed the disallowed goal. Was it really offside?

Just watching the highlights and Henderson and Coutinho missed a couple of sitters.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Ahh, it's over. The horrible Xmas fixtures are over. Now, I can chill on the couch and watch the Karate Kid in peace, happy in the knowledge that we survived it in 4th place. Wait, it's the remake... goddamnit.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Strange game.

They posed absolutely zero threat. Agger and Skrtel dealt with everything, thought Lucas was good in front of them too. Very disjointed attack but we're always good for a set piece or two.

Very easy win that.

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
We got the win and no new injuries (I hope and think Johnsons was precautionary). Very routine, as I said at half-time Hull never felt like a real threat going forward. Skrtel had a very good game I think, no one else really stood out for me. Rodgers, please give all the first team a deserved rest in the fa-cup. Hopefully by the time we play Stoke, we'll have at least one addition to the team.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
This was the good result we needed. We get 3 points and a break to give the injured players some time to recover and the possibility of bringing some players to get some time on the training pitch.

Would have liked to see some of the top 5 rivals drop more points, but all in all we have come out of a rough patch with points we need, a fighting spirit in the side, and some energy moving forward.

The CB partnership was great to see as it was nice to see those two line up side by side again...I hope not for the last time.

A break should do well for our side.

JackleCube

Don't normally comment much these days, but here goes:

MotM today for me was Henderson, lost count of how many times I heard the commentator say his name today - everywhere - even at the end, after Gerrard came on, which is promising, because he'll need to do that if he's to partner Gerrard in the middle going forward, which is what I would like to see.

Becoming a bit of a story of two midfielders though, Henderson keeps getting better, but Countinho's form of late is a slight concern - thought he tried hard today, no lack of effort, but don't know whether it's fatigue, lack of competition in his role, bad luck/knock of confidence, but his passing was really messy today, as it has been in recent games too. Think the kid could really use a small break, but don't know if we have someone else to take his place to afford him this luxury.

Over all though, good to get back to winning ways.

Shaun_Lfc5

TIA New Signing
3points and a clean sheet, well deserved. Missed alot of good chances and the ref was shit as usual. Bring on the next one!

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
leopoldfrank said:
Ahh, it's over. The horrible Xmas fixtures are over. Now, I can chill on the couch and watch the Karate Kid in peace, happy in the knowledge that we survived it in 4th place. Wait, it's the remake... goddamnit.
Sweep the leg, Johnny

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Good result.because we were looking threadbare as much as anything and on the back of 2 losses. Just annoying late goals, again, in the other games robbed us of making up more ground than just on Everton who burgled a draw in the last minute

Solid at the back. Made a nice change as Skrtel Agger has never been that secure. But was better today

Aspas I hope we won't have to see too much more of that. Looking forward to Sturridge returning because sadly he isn't up to it

Decent result considering the makeshift state of our team in certain parts of the field and the obvious lack of form of a few players

theres always tommorrow

Hope is in my heart again
A good win lads well done. Shame we haven't made up more ground but forth at the moment. Just shows that winning one of those matches over Xmas would have kept us right up there. Can't allow a gap to develop

I still think we need to sign some additional key players this window to nail it. I have a feeling that winning this league or qualifying for CL are both going to be close run things. Wouldn't surprise me if a couple of points will desperate 1st from 5th.

gerrardthered

@gerrardthered match report

Steven Gerrard unfortunately didn’t make the starting lineup, but was present on the bench. Aly Cissokho was recalled at left back with Daniel Agger retaining his place in central defence alongside the stalwart Martin Skrtel. Iago Aspas was introduced to the starting XI. Raheem Sterling and the young Spaniard will be out on the wings, Jordan Henderson and Lucas Leiva in the central midfield and Philippe Coutinho sitting just behind Luis Suarez upfront. So, the injuries have forced a change in formation. All being well, the new-look side can crush Hull here at Anfield.
Liverpool started the match positively and were pinging the ball around well. Hull closed down well and were very defensive. The play all seemed to get caught up in midfield with few breakthroughs for both sides in the final third. Some hefty challenges were going in. Hull started to get the odd chance after the first ten minutes. They scored 6 goals in their last outing so it is no surprise that they have confidence going forward.
In the eighteenth minute it looked as though Liverpool had got the breakthrough. A nice free kick from Coutinho was floated in from the right and Luis Suarez got nicely on the end of it with an accurate header which skipped past the Tigers’ keeper. Unfortunately Luis was marginally offside when the kick was taken and the linesman had correctly flagged it. Hull escape….for now.
Tom Huddlestone became the first player into the referee’s book with a hefty challenge on Suarez, shortly afterwards. Nice to have him on a caution so early on. Philippe Coutinho had a speculative long free kick comfortably sail into the keeper’s arms. The Reds started to dominate and get a few more breaks, though we were not building play up enough and shooting rashly when it might have been better to build up the play.
Luis Suarez picked out a perfect pass for the accelerating Raheem Sterling to run onto. As he moved in on the Hull keeper, Allan McGregor, the goalie stepped up well and prevented Sterling from seizing the opportunity. The attacks were coming thick and fast now. Hull’s defence looked unable to cope with our forward force.
There was a prolonged period, mid first-half where the game petered out and a midfield battle ensued. Suarez seemed to be the recipient of Hull’s hard-hitting tackles. In he 36th minuted Daniel Agger climbed up around the penalty spot to get onto the end of a corner and headed the ball goal-ward. Jordan Henderson was acting as a foil and the distracted keeper could do nothing to save our central defender’s effort. 1-0 Liverpool and a goal for our captain for the day.
A frustrated Luis Suarez ended up getting booked although it was unclear exactly why. Perhaps it was a bit of backchat as he was getting too much attention from the Hull midfield and defence. Jordan Henderson missed a great opportunity to put us two up. Iago Aspas gave a nice flick into the path of Henderson who unfortunately shot just wide of the left post. It was a well-crafted move and deserved more. Just before half-time Henderson and Coutinho combined well but the Brazilian shot wide of the post. Another clear chance. Maybe we should be three up by now? We go into half-time a goal to the good.
A few minutes into the second half and our lead was indeed doubled. The Uruguayan maestro delivered one of his trademark free kicks from about thirty yards out. Suarez left the keeper no chance, with sniper-like precision. World Class is the best way to describe our star man.
Our sixty-three percent stats seemed to continue into the second half. Hull will have to really get lucky to earn points at Anfield today. Another unfortunate injury concern meant that Glen Johnson, who’d been struggling for some time, hobbled off to be replaced by Kolo Toure. Steve Bruce decided to shuffle his deck, making a three-way tactical substitution: George Boyd for David Meyler, Danny Graham for Robert Koren and Matty Fryatt for Yannick Sagbo. He needed to ‘Attack, Attack, Attack!’, as our Kop might cry in our own times of desperation. In the 62nd minute our talisman returned to action when Iago Aspas was substituted for Steven Gerrard. It seems a good opportunity to give him a run out after his injury layoff.
Coutinho and Henderson kept the pressure on the opposition goal. Luis Suarez seemed to be relatively quiet, perhaps the aggressive Hull players has successfully silenced him? Coutinho seemed to be really flying and made a fantastic run down the centre, shooting hard, only for the keeper to parry it away. Raheem Sterling left the field to give Victor Moses a fifteen minute spell to exercise his wares.
Hull continued to do battle and pressed hard to try and get something from the game, but Liverpool were calm and resolute in defence. The two goal cushion was comfortable and without being overly relaxed, they kept the Tigers at bay. Luis Suarez continued to draw challenges and a good run by him through the middle led to Curtis Davies illegally ending it and getting himself booked in the process. Luis Suarez couldn’t repeat his set piece magic in the ensuing free kick. Coutinho, in injury time, again was denied. He had shown a lot of promise today, though the end result wasn’t forthcoming. the game finished 2-0 and a good three points should put us back within our targeted top four range.
Brendan Rodgers proved his tactics were astute. Forced into a formation change he understood how best to over-rule a dangerous side who had made us look stupid only a month ago. Liverpool have successfully reversed the downward trend of our post-Christmas mini crisis. We have to maintain Anfield as a fortress throughout the second half of the season and today was a good day for tending to the ramparts. Next up is an FA Cup tie against Oldham here on Sunday.
Man Of The Match: Jordan Henderson. His deeper first half role enabled him to keep the out-of-depth Huddlestone well at bay. Henderson managed to get forward on many of our best attacks and seemed to outshine all other players in what was a good team performance. Hopefully Roy Hodgson will be taking note and Henderson could have an important role to play in the national side come the summer.

abcd

Another routine home win and a rare clean sheet so can't complain. Time to run out the squad against Oldham and get set for a tough trip to the Brittania the following weekend hopefully with a few more options available.

It looked good at Stoke and Arsenal for a while but wasn't to be. Still back up to 4th and ground gained on Everton, Newcastle and one or both of Man U or Tottenham.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Just glad to get that out of the way tbh. We needed the points desperately and we got them against thuggish opposition. As is mostly the case with us, we should have at least doubled the score line.

Aspas must go asap. Clearly not good enough. Not a loan either. Just get our money back, Brendan. This one's on you mate.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Great way to start the year...but there's nothing much to be learnt from here. Aspas and Moses are not worthy of the shirt at all..especially Aspas who was really anonymous for the game and moses not even able to take on a defender...

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Did anyone catch Agger's post match interview?

That was pretty cool.

Nystal

A Very crucial win after the last 2 results. Maybe not always the prettiest on the eyes but an effective performance nonetheless.

My player ratings for the game as follows (in my Humble Opinion)

Mignolet - 7/10:
Had nothing to do the majority of the game. Good distribution

Cissokho - 9/10:
His best performance in a Liverpool Shirt so far, perhaps does have a future here.

Agger - 9/10:
Well taken goal and solid defensive performance

Skrtel - 8/10:
Seemed to not be pulling shirts, another of the reasons Mig had nothing to do

Johnson - 8/10 (before subbed out)
Good performance, best in Months from Glen, surprising as he was carrying a knock and has been awful lately.

Lucas - 7/10
Quietly breaking up attacks, few frees given away as would be expected

Henderson - 8/10
Our Duracell Bunny just keeps going, another good performance from Hendo

Aspas - 4/10 (before subbed out)
Had one good pass the entire time he was on the pitch, looks to simply not be good enough I'm afraid to say

Coutinho - 6/10
Seems to be severely lacking in final product, some good runs but decision making also a current issue

Sterling - 7/10
Might have done better when put through but a decent performance and kept the attack ticking over

Suarez - 8/10 (by his standards)
Still managed to put one away despite being hacked down for most of the game.

Subs:
Gerrard - 7/10
More about seeing his recovery from injury but he kept the attack flowing well

Moses - 4/10
Contributed nothing after coming on, should be sent home so we can develop our own talent instead

Toure - 7/10
Kept the ship steady after coming on, seems to be lacking a bit of match fitness having not been involved much recently.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
now for us to go on from here on an unbeaten 5 match run sweeping aside Everton in the process before our game vs Arsenal in Feb.

RJK

Happy enough. After the toughest away trips in 3 days, a scrappyish 2-0 is just fine. Could've been 4 or 5 if we'd put them away. Hull were just thugs with no answers at all. Agree, rest up some key players for the cup, bring in a couple of decent signings, get Daniel back & we could well hang on to that 4th spot. Happy new year.
Feel sorry for Aspas, but you just don't see him doing anything here

jimbo

TIA Regular
Great result! We are back to winning ways..
Hopefully transfer window open and sturridge to come back. we need to really build again on this. Everton coming to anfield may be a deciding match.

Please get your chq book ready mr Henry. 3 first team players at least

LiVeRp0oL89

That couldn't of gone any better for us.. 3 points and no injuries is all we could of asked for following our last two results. Of course that performance from Hull was probably the worst i've seen at Anfield this season but still, we cannot underestimate the importance of this win today. Hopefully it should give us a platform to go on another winning run now.

Should of had a couple more but i'm not going to nit pick.. the players looked knackered. Fortunately, they can now have some decent rest between games and hopefully we'll get a couple back from injury along with some new signings to help us push on :)

Shout out to Assaidi by the way..! Took 2 points off the bitters with another goal. Think he's at least worthy of Moses's spot in the team.

RJK

RichLFC said:
Good result.because we were looking threadbare as much as anything and on the back of 2 losses. Just annoying late goals, again, in the other games robbed us of making up more ground than just on Everton who burgled a draw in the last minute

Solid at the back. Made a nice change as Skrtel Agger has never been that secure. But was better today

Aspas I hope we won't have to see too much more of that. Looking forward to Sturridge returning because sadly he isn't up to it

Decent result considering the makeshift state of our team in certain parts of the field and the obvious lack of form of a few players
When is Sturridge expected????

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Good game considering we're playing a man down from the start and 9.5 men on the second half. We handicapped ourselves with the inclusion of Aspas. He didn't more than just one lay off to Henderson. Other than that, he lost possession, caught on possession, misplaced passes, even the simple passes he messed it up.

Happy with the result. Not happy with the refereeing. It's clear Steve Bruce sent his players out to hurt Suarez right from the start. Could have 2 reds on Meyler stud-showing tackle and Bruce should have seen 2 yellow. Dirty tackles on Suarez all game long, even the commentator acknowledged it.

Coutinho needs to work on his shooting accuracy. He needs to put those chances away since the opponent is so preoccupied with Suarez. We need others to chip in the goals for us so the teams we face will have more than one player to worry about. I felt Alberto could have contributed more and not disrupting the understanding between Coutinho, Suarez and Sterling. There are so many passes went astray and wayward at the final third.

Well,3 points is 3 points. Let's move to the next game and keep the winning momentum going.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I was dreading this match but thankfully it was a rather easy win. Scored two, missed a few more and we defended well. No complaints at all.

Skrtel had his best game in a long time, Agger and Lucas were also solid while Henderson's resurgence continues. Let's beat Oldham and then concentrate on Stoke.

steve10

TIA New Signing
Good result- strange game. Hope the Johnson injury is not serious as we are running out of first team players.