• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool 2 Hull City 0

Colin

TIA First Team
Very happy

Hull beat us earlier in the season and were coming off an emphatic win v Fulham. That combined with our fatigue and morale, injuries and having played two gruelling away games in a week i felt this was a potential banana skin. This result shows how we have improved a lot the past year or so.

Delighted because we are now sitting fourth and we'll in touch with the leaders . I would have bitten your hand off to be sitting where we are if you offered that back in August.

Moses and Aspas are not lfc quality though. Bring Suso back, bring in a new AM , and get the other half of SAS back !!

Although it's great to get the 3 points today I was disappointed yet again with a few things. Poor finishing continues to be a concern and I wonder if Brendan is actually trying to address that issue in training because it has already cost us points this season. In terms of individual players I though Glen was poor yet again and as usual cheaply gave away the ball a few times. Cissokho was ok but really needs to improve his confidence (he looks afraid at times to go past a player or put in a good challenge). Good to see Gerrard come back but he looked rusty and I personally am not fully convinced that he should be an automatic starter even once he returns to full fitness. The less said of Aspas the better but one thing I will say is that I really hope some team comes in for him in the window because I have given up on him already.

Anyway I just had to get that off my chest. Really happy with the win today. Just a shame that Arsenal continue to get lucky and grab late goals. Hopefully that becomes us soon! :)

LeoT

Not the best of games to watch, we should have scored 4 or 5, but there were plenty of knackered players out there so I'm more than happy with the result.

At the start of the season, if I'd been offered 4th place, just 6 points of the top of the league, the league's top scorer in our team, 2nd best goal difference, ... I'd have bit your hand off.

DCJ

TIA Youth Team
overall at the end an easy and well deserved win. Good goals and should have added three more but for poor finishing.

Only downside...Aspas and moses look more lost each time they get on.

Looking forward to transfer window and perhaps a recall for a few loanees....assaidi for one.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
LiVeRp0oL89 said:
What did he say? Got a link?
I was just impressed with the way he carries himself. Very laid back. Talked about Henderson claiming the goal he scored and said it doesn't matter who scores it. Discussed the performance as well saying it wasn't what he expected from the side and that we kept giving the ball away frequently.

I was just impressed with the way he spoke and how down to earth he seemed.

Haven't got a link yet. Will keep checking though and post one as soon as I find it

afrikana

TIA Squad Member
Most importantly, we got the 3 points and the bonus of a clean sheet and an end to the hectic Christmas schedule.

My biggest issue has to be our profligacy in front of goal, we cant keep relying on Suarez to bail us out, Henderson, Allen, Sterling and Coutinho need to add goals to their game if we want to have any chance of keeping with the pace at the top.

Think Aspas is out of his depth, apart from the one pass that set up Henderson for what should have been a goal, he was poor. If he cant put in a performance against Hull, I just don't see him making it here.

Think Coutinho needs a rest, looks like an EMP has done his radar this season, although not sure what options we have to replace him. I'd say Alberto, but he doesn't have the pace to play on the wing, and it seems BR doesn't trust him in the middle of the park.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
LiVeRp0oL89 said:
That couldn't of gone any better for us.. 3 points and no injuries is all we could of asked for following our last two results. Of course that performance from Hull was probably the worst i've seen at Anfield this season but still, we cannot underestimate the importance of this win today. Hopefully it should give us a platform to go on another winning run now.

Should of had a couple more but i'm not going to nit pick.. the players looked knackered. Fortunately, they can now have some decent rest between games and hopefully we'll get a couple back from injury along with some new signings to help us push on :)

Shout out to Assaidi by the way..! Took 2 points off the bitters with another goal. Think he's at least worthy of Moses's spot in the team.
Definitely. As is Ibe as well, IMO. So, where is Ibe anyway? Personally, I rate him higher than Sterling, but it seems that the manager doesn't. How dare he!

As for today, basically we struggled, at least in the first half, to defeat a mediocre team. If we are going to beat our rivals at Anfield we have to be performing better than this. We really need to upgrade midfield and A(right)M if we want to keep EFC, Man U, & THFC at bay. If the current squad qualifies for the CL it'll be a miracle.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that wherever possible, we should try to bring back our loanees. Finishing in the top four is going to mean all hands to the pumps, and that includes Suso and Borini.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Nice win, full control. Should have been out of sight by half time, but the early second half goal made up for it. Defensively very solid, no problems at all. Never really found our rhythm in attack due to a lot of small individual mistakes in the final third, but that's how it is sometimes.

Mr v

above the blue shite. now lets get someone right fkin good in the window

LeoT

I'm hoping Aspas was poor because he's not playing regularly (same as Assiadi was).
As poor as he was I still wanted him to stay on the pitch to the end, just so he would get some game time and confidence.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Cou hasn't been right for the entire first half of the season. He hasn't kicked on from his great displays of last season, when he was played centrally, and that might be the problem right there. Hendo is occupying the position that Cou should be in and is thriving on it, but if I were BR I'd switch their respective positions, or put Sterling on the left and Hendo on the right. Hendo can always drive into the area from left or right, but Coutinho hasn't got the physique or quickness to do likewise. Cou has got creativity in spades, but he must be in the centre to be able to apply it properly.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
So, where is Ibe anyway? Personally, I rate him higher than Sterling, but it seems that the manager doesn't. How dare he!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Picked up an injury in the FA youth cup game.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Hoof and hack merchants - so glad to beat those cunts lol

Folks shouldn't write off Aspas - he needs game time and confidence, I'm sure he can turn out to be a quality player. I'd like to see him bag a goal against Oldham.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Uberkoen said:
Did anyone catch Agger's post match interview?

That was pretty cool.
What did he have to say?

I thought this was the exact performance we needed. I have two gripes, Aspas and Moses. Replace those players this window.

Hendo was my man of the match. It's early yet, but he has the potential to be our club captain someday. Energy, work ethic, skill. Good to see Gerrard back on the pitch.

A toast to 2014, may our squad continue on the progress made in the previous year. Cheers!

WrongIslander

Upstate_Chad said:
What did he have to say?

I thought this was the exact performance we needed. I have two gripes, Aspas and Moses. Replace those players this window.

Hendo was my man of the match. It's early yet, but he has the potential to be our club captain someday. Energy, work ethic, skill. Good to see Gerrard back on the pitch.

A toast to 2014, may our squad continue on the progress made in the previous year. Cheers!
I thought Agger was MOTM but the rest I completely agree with.

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Happy New Year Everyone

Great win, more points on the bag,lovely to see our captain back on the field.
i think aspas real name is sasap which stands for sell asap.
Our defense with Agger in is more sound and suited to our style of play, i hope we can play sakho and agger as our main defenders.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Doggie said:
Hoof and hack merchants - so glad to beat those cunts lol

Folks shouldn't write off Aspas - he needs game time and confidence, I'm sure he can turn out to be a quality player. I'd like to see him bag a goal against Oldham.
Aspas just seemed stressed to me. Too eager to impress, which affected his decisions. Should possibly have kept things more simple instead of trying the more clever and delicate passes. Lovely lay-off for Henderson in the first half which should have given him an assist, but that was pretty much the only thing that came off.

I'm still a bit undecided about him. I see a player there, but maybe he falls into the same category as Borini: good, but not quite good enough.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Happy New year fellow kopities.
We werent great tbh. But went there and did the job. Suarez back to scoring ways, Henderson is growing into a wonderful player.

Urban Achiever

Agree with NW on Aspas... there's something about him that shows another level hiding somewhere. He should keep things more simple though... which can also be said about Sterling. They give away too many simple passes by trying to be a bit too clever.

My biggest issue with Aspas is that he clearly needs games to get into the groove of things and gain some confidence. He needs to play to not fall behind with the tempo and intensity. As long as SAS are fit he's not even close to getting that, so if we need an impact sub we should sell him and bring in another kind of player.
What he does now Borini can do just as well.... as a player who gets games and is shown belief, I think he's better.

In todays game I'd also defend him a bit because his press work was very good. The second Gerrard came on Hull became dangerous because they could push further up the field. Gerrard simply doesn't have the legs for that type of game. While Aspas was still on they had nothing because our forwardline put such a good pressure on their defense and midfield.

Hats off to Cissokho who actually played a decent second half!

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
This was a potential banana skin which could have set us back.
Well chuffed to get 3 points, a clean sheet, and not losing ground on the teams above us.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
3 points, good solid performance from us. The hunt ladies and gentlemen, is ON!

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Enjoyed our first game of this year and decided not to gripe about any players. I am more than happy to gripe about the refs lack of protection for Suarez though. It can't just be Liverpool fans that have noticed how much he's been targeted this season. Hopefully when DS is back this will calm down a bit as the defenders will have more than one person to worry about.

We deserved to win but i was so glad that second goal went in, always risky at 1-0 and with the shots we were missing i just had a bad feeling. I would have particularly loved to see Cou finish off that last attempt where he ran through them all, may have helped his confidence a lot. Hopefully now SG will get a good 30 minutes or so against Oldham to increase his fitness but other than that we play a lot of our youngsters.

Maulkin

LittleFinger
Hull were really dreadful, and Suarez scored a top top free kick.

That's pretty much all I remember of the game. It was a dull contest, all players looked tired on the field, and we were never threatened.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I'm more than pleased with that game. We've come off the back of two defeats, we're depleted by injury and our thin squad is very tired. We put Hull away very professionally and went about the game in exactly the right way - very tight and no mistakes at the back, patiently waiting for our superiority to tell up front.

We can now rest a few more again Oldham - and let me say upfront with the league so open and with a brilliant chance of a top four finish, I am quite happy to leave the cup to the reserves and fringe lads - and let some of the lads who've taken a battering over Christmas have almost two weeks off to recover.

Downsides - I'm fucking sick of seeing clogger defenders going through the back of Suarez with absolutely no sanction. At some point some twat, emboldened by what you can get away with against Luis, is going to take one for the rest of the league and do him good and proper. I'm dreading that - it's going to happen.

LeoT

Anyone got any news on the Johnson Injury?

He was limping from about the 5 minute mark when he scuffed his shot.

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
@Mascot88, you could be right, England in the same group as Uruguay,and Mr Hodgson does not have the happiest of Anfield memories.
About today's game; this was a strange result. They turned us over on their home patch ,hit 6 against Fulham yet hardly seemed interested at Anfield. This game more than any other so far seems to say that it is now open season on Suarez and today was just a starter.But by all accounts there was no protection out there for our number 7.
Pleased about the result,great to be in the mix half way thru, ahead of the Mancs and the Mini Mancs across the road.
Happy New Year Everybody.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Johnson injured his pride after taking a divot (not as bad as Vidal's tho). Hopefully no longterm damage.;)