• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool 2 Hull City 0

Redragbull

Was more than a little nervous going into this game and we were a little jittery in the first 15 mins. Settled down after that though and took command. Skrtel and Agger both handled their set pieces without trouble and generally played well albeit against a blunt attack. Lucas and Hendo I thought were excellent. Coutinho needs to find his shooting boots and quickly. The lobbed pass by Hendo was exquisite and Phil should have buried it, but unfortunately dragged it wide. More than pleased with the points tho.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
41min how the fuck is Bruce still on the pitch. What the hell was ref watching, adv played but should have been a 2nd yellow

Defuz

First half…..another ref found lacking. Simply horrible. He looked completely out of his depth and the half degenerated into dives, hacks and players appealing to an increasingly uncomfortable official. Again, a couple of challenges that were certainly warranting a yellow card, one maybe a red, where the ref stood silent and lacking. This is how players get hurt, get mad, and games die. When you finish the half watching and looking for what the ref does, it’s a sure sign he’s been awful. In the EPL we all deserve much better.

Aspas. Save a pass, maybe two…..useless. Had such high hopes for him coming into the season, but he’s shown nothing. He’s simply a hole on the pitch. Give him away like he gives the ball away. I saw a cross come in and the commentator said, "Aspas is waiting". My first thought was, “Who cares?”

Coutinho continues to promise in his play, but exhibits a huge need to practice his finishing. Very lacking. He’s trying to score, but looks flat footed, unbalanced and lacking confidence when taking a stab. Seems to me that he shoots and misses so much that he almost expects it, fulfilling his own expectations. Needs some guidance from Stevie, Luis or King Kenny to spend some time with him so he can finish a shot with arms raised instead of head in hands.

Sterling and Hendo both had good chances but their attempts were second class.

Agger. Nice header helped in by Hendo running interference

Second half. Ref took a back seat, and thank heavens for that.

Johnson showed nothing in the first and soon limped off in the second. Makes me wonder, after his last lackluster effort against Chelsea, if he was fit enough to start with.

After Suarez’s awesome free kick, the game died. Pace – pedestrian, urgency – none. Just what the doctor ordered when you’re up 2-0. Glad to see Gerrard back on the field, and in a game with a lackluster pace and up 2-0, it was a great time to return.

Hull showed me nothing. Never worried me. They tried to pick the pace and purpose up late, but they soon fell flat as we responded by pressing back and created a half chance or two at the other end, ending their chances.

Conclusion…not the most entertaining of games, but sorely needed after two close losses away. Again, give Aspas away and sit Johnson until he’s totally fit. Suarez' presence dominates. He stays so active that he demands attention and provides a brilliant focal point for the attack. Despite a great free kick, it was not his best game, but he still takes charge, and governs our forward performance. The man's brilliant, even when he's not. We desperately need to bring in some needed – accomplished and ready - reinforcements. Rodgers has this squad playing very well, even if a little thin. With a better squad in the coming months and years, my hopes are admittedly sky high.

Defuz

Mascot88 said:
......Downsides - I'm fucking sick of seeing clogger defenders going through the back of Suarez with absolutely no sanction. At some point some twat, emboldened by what you can get away with against Luis, is going to take one for the rest of the league and do him good and proper. I'm dreading that - it's going to happen.
Agreed. Suarez is the object of a hack-attack more and more, but I ask how much of that he has to take responsibility for. His dives, while not as blatantly fake as they used to be at times, are often exaggerated, inviting skepticism and detracting from the real hacks that deserve sanctions. Is he emboldening tacklers? I fear his continual claims to great pain, followed by seeing him nipping all over the place, obviously unhurt a minute later, speak of his false appeals. In these muddy water though, I agree, sooner or later someone really will take him out seriously, and I dread that day.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Bah, I'm just happy we got the points. Aspas seemed nervous and was awful until his lay-off for Henderson, after that I thought he improved quite a lot. Cissokho offers precisely nothing going forward but was solid at the back, while Moses is just shite. Get rid of him and bring Suso back for my money.

Hope we manage to complete a signing or two in time for Stoke, squad is looking threadbare. If Johnson is out for a few weeks we're in real trouble, as Touré simply is no fullback.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
3 points, job done.

Good news that Spurs beat manure, shame the blueshite managed a point but at least they didn't win.

Thought we played well sporadically, probably as a result of tiredness more than anything. Coutinho & Sterling both need a rest, Coutinho in particular just hasn't been the same as he was last season.

Good to see Gerrard back, also - honorable mention for Cissokho, did a decent job.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
62:50 - "Where is Skrtel going?"

LOL

cw37

Cannot make a proper judgement until i see it on the Club channel. Main thing for me is we got back to winning ways. Not happy about what i am reading re Aspas. Sounds like he was very poor. When he finally got the chance he did not perform. Tut-tut. He should and probably will start v Oldham. Then we can expect in fact demand a good display. Anyhow we got the 3 points.

pottymonster

Peanut butter!
I started getting a feeling in the first half that this could turn into a banana peel since we looked quite disjointed. That said, we picked it up, got the second and got the job done. 3 points in the bank, move on to the next.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Relief to get the 3 points after a disappointing festive period, I can't say too much about the game because I was only following the games on Final Score so I don't know too much of what went on, shall be watching MOTD!

shootscore

Great start to the new year, especially as the squads becoming a bit threadbare and with walking wounded. Yuss!!

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Just what was needed after the two defeats. Hopefully with a bit of pressure off being off top, we can quietly go about our business winning games and still be in with a shout come easter.

slufsar

Very important to finish off in style before a break.
If we improve our 1st team, we have a good chance of making top 4

Drubas

Mignolet - 6/10:
Becoming more and more comfortable with his feet, and unlike the first 5 games of the season, he can actually be used to keep possession of the ball within the team. Didn't have enough to do to warrent a higher rating.

Cissokho - 6/10:
I must have seen another game that most, since I think he did what he always does. He's a ok defender, but offers nothing in terms of being an offensive fullback.

Agger - 8/10:
Great game by Agger. He seems comfortable with the ball, and he looks great together with Skrtl.

Skrtel - 7/10:
Solid performance.

Johnson - 4/10
I think he looked just as uninspired, dull and slow as he did against Chelsea and City. If we had any other option, I would like him to sit out a few games.

Lucas - 6/10
Ok performance. Gave away a few dangerous free kicks.

Henderson - 8/10
His press and defensive runs are second to none in t he premier league. His work rate is amazing. But what amazes me the most is the fact that his passing has evolved this season. Becoming one of our most valuable players.

Aspas - 3/10 (before subbed out)
Terrible. Just terrible. His runs were not timed well, he seemed to be all over the place. Aweful first touch, too many touches, and ended up either fumbling or just pushing the ball back to Skrtl or Agger.

Coutinho - 6/10
Good game. Created many chances for himself. He has the touch, the quality and the tools to be a scoring midfielder. He just seems to lack the confidence.

Sterling - 7/10
Not only has he become an awesome offensive force when he has the ball, he has suddenly gotten the hang of when to do the first press, when to fall and what areas to fall into to cut off attacks. He's become a solid two way winger!

Suarez - 8/10
Great goal and good quality in his passing.

Subs:
Gerrard - 6/10
Looked ok, but nothing spectacular.

Moses - 4/10
Invisible, except when he lost the ball when we had a great chance to counter attack.

Toure - 6/10
Doesn't have the qualities to play himself out of tight situations. Solid defense but not much to offer the offense

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
You deserve great credit for that. after two big game losses, could have silpped up here but you battled well, scored two set pieces and for few times this season kept a clean sheet. At home you been awesome. Suarez out of this world again. Still think you need add three or four to make top four as your squard is thin. But your form at home given you chance. chance to rest a lot of players before stoke away in 11 days time. Suarez needs a rest.

Toro

Florida Red
Three points, a clean sheet, 6 points off the top and ManU losing at home.

Pretty good day, I'd say.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I will say fatigue can effect finishing...so don't be too harsh on the lads in that area.

Bluboots

King of Sardinia
Pretty routine win without playing all that well. Everyone did seem tired, but that's to be expected considering we had the toughest Christmas fixture list of all the BPL teams.

Hull had obviously watched the Chelsea game and deliberately set out to tackle us hard and press hard. I did notice they calmed down a bit in the second half but Bruce could probably see a red or two if they continued in that way as they were lucky to have 10 men on the pitch come half time.

Aspas was very disappointing... he just doesn't seem to contribute anything to the side. For a Striker his age he should be doing a lot better.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Mascot88 said:
Downsides - I'm fucking sick of seeing clogger defenders going through the back of Suarez with absolutely no sanction. At some point some twat, emboldened by what you can get away with against Luis, is going to take one for the rest of the league and do him good and proper. I'm dreading that - it's going to happen.
This absolutely needs to be addressed. It has needed to be addressed since Huth walked off the pitch with the same number of teeth after that vicious stamp on Suarez last season. Fair play to Henderson, who was pretty damned vocal after that takedown of Suarez today, but he doesn't strike me as an enforcer. If the goddamn refs won't protect Luis, the club needs someone who will, even if it is in the tunnel after the match.

Through my career, I was not much more than a slogger, but damned if I would have let opponents lay a hand on the talent the way we are now. The club needs to protect Suarez before the inevitable happens. We need a David Semenko (not a hockey fan, then google it).

spizfromoz

What I'd call an efficient game, couple of goals, none against, SG returns with a run, Agger runs into form, Coutinho practices shot taking, Suarez his free kick taking and not a big sweat for the whole crew. If we're to be good again these are the sort of games we need to see more of. Last couple of seasons we'd have drawn or lost a handful of these and felt down about it. Only wish Alberto got a run.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Arminius said:
This absolutely needs to be addressed. It has needed to be addressed since Huth walked off the pitch with the same number of teeth after that vicious stamp on Suarez last season. Fair play to Henderson, who was pretty damned vocal after that takedown of Suarez today, but he doesn't strike me as an enforcer. If the goddamn refs won't protect Luis, the club needs someone who will, even if it is in the tunnel after the match.

Through my career, I was not much more than a slogger, but damned if I would have let opponents lay a hand on the talent the way we are now. The club needs to protect Suarez before the inevitable happens. We need a David Semenko (not a hockey fan, then google it).
Unfortunately cement-hands doesn't fly all that well in footy. But we cannot let that shit Eto'o & Bruce pulled last 2 games go unanswered.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Maybe ranting to the media about referees not working out. Probably need the manager to have a word with the officials behind the scene. I know Fergie is the master in that art....

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Semmy said:
Unfortunately cement-hands doesn't fly all that well in footy. But we cannot let that shit Eto'o & Bruce pulled last 2 games go unanswered.
If you actually look at the sanctions for brawls historically, they run around 4 games and some cash. A very thin deterrent. But I was thinking less of someone to start a fight than someone who simply would be known to ensure that cheap shots would have a consequence. Chelsea's deliberate attempts to injure would be repaid with a broken ankle for Hazard late in the game. One or two such incidents would send the message.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
lfc.eddie said:
Maybe ranting to the media about referees not working out. Probably need the manager to have a word with the officials behind the scene. I know Fergie is the master in that art....
Maybe other teams need to show some fucking class and not tackle with intent to injure. FA needs to be looking at that shit, same way they're gonna crack down on the shirt tugging soon.

Suarez gets 10 games for a Russian snack, but Oscar on Lucas gets nothing? Eto'o on Henderson? Brown on Suarez? Williams on Countinho?

Even hockey cracks down on that shit. Bertuzzi knocked a guy out in 2004, suspended for rest of season and was sued by the player for ending his career.

Clive

Very pleased with the result and clean sheet.

Spoiled a bit by the finishing of Hendo, Stirling and Coutinho but good performance nonetheless.

Terrific free kick from Luis. Wouldn't want anyone else in the world over one of those!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
In recent years this is exactly the sort of game I'd expect us to have struggled in. Coming off the back of two plucky defeats against the bigger teams where we played well and got nothing, so easy just to not turn up against a lesser team that you should be beating comfortably. Maybe it's because there's a different mentality in this side or maybe it's because we've got Suarez, I don't know but I never doubted we'd win this.

I am chuffed for Agger. Still a class act. I can't understand the eagerness to push players out who've proved themselves at the club over years, not weeks or months, aren't perfect but have performed well and have demonstrated a genuine commitment. We're trying to build a squad where there is competition for places. At least I hope we are.

Henderson was outstanding again. Our most improved player under BR. I hope he doesn't go back into his shell now that Gerrard's back.

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Aspas was no where near as bad as people have made out. I read a few comments on here before watching the whole game on low down yesterday. Ok i fell a asleep at 60mins but I saw enough to see some one who was trying hard to play for his team mates. See someone making his 1st start in a long time and getting used to the pace of the game. Never tried to hide even though you could see he was fustrated at his own contributions at times. Someone who had a (vert small) part in winning the corner that led to our opener. Someone who created a great one touch assist for a missed chance. I'm sure I could go on but you get the point.

Seeing as we had such a depleted squad I'd hope the fan base decide that supporting our fringe players is more worth that berating them for not contributing enough.

Other than Aspas I was v impressed with Hendo's sharing of the defensive duties with Lucas. Being the 1st time (?) we've played without a controlling 3 mids i though they complimented each other well in taking turns to go forward (haven't see Lucas so high since Rafa (?). And Hendo's range of passing is really coming on. The little chip over on the R wing for Glen (i think) was exquisit, executed with finess and patience. Not to mention his constant availability and calmness and pre-awareness to find teammates.

Can't wait to see the rest of the game and how and where Gerrard fitted in.

Anyone see how Assaidi played yesterday too? Imo he contributed much less that Aspas has when he was here. So be nice to see his game coming on too.

Feliz año nuevo everyone. Hope 2014 is totally fabtastic to you all. :)

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Semmy said:
Maybe other teams need to show some fucking class and not tackle with intent to injure. FA needs to be looking at that shit, same way they're gonna crack down on the shirt tugging soon.
Don't rely on the FA to do anything of the sort. I haven't forgotten their clampdown on back chatting the referee. Arsenal surround a ref, the media go into uproar, Masch gets sent off the following week, everything back to normal the week after.

The FA are absolutely useless.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Mascot88 said:
Don't rely on the FA to do anything of the sort. I haven't forgotten their clampdown on back chatting the referee. Arsenal surround a ref, the media go into uproar, Masch gets sent off the following week, everything back to normal the week after.

The FA are absolutely useless.
Fa never stamp these things out and i agree they are useless. need to be more consistent.

cw37

It is about time something was done about teams being cloggers with Suarez. Some teams will double up on him. And yes play borderline stuff. But yesterday was assault AGAIN. Other fans moan about him talking to refs, Limping about. Yeah no wonder. Protection for class players please.