• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool 2 Oldham 0

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
good game. got the job done. another easy game in the next round.
Aspas is the real deal!!!! :D

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
I still don't know what time the full match will be available on LFC TV....I'll keep checking and will try to post it here. Off to watch Jonjo properly now.

shootscore

Not only great to be through to the next round, but also great that Aspas scored!!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Will be interesting to read comments from lads who actually saw the game. I wouldn't feel compelled to say too much here, apart from: job done!

LiVeRp0oL89

Good solid win! Well done to Aspas and I hope he can actually contribute now (unless he's sold this month..).

Gutted about the injury to Agger.. hope it's not too bad. Looks like it will be Toure and Skrtel against Stoke with hopefully Sakho back sooner rather than later.

Well done anyway boys :D

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Happy with the result, really annoyed with Agger's injury. We desperately need some luck. Some reinforcements wouldn't go amiss either.

PadraigOHooligan

As we had no visuals I ended up watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY3cJwsRttY,How good is the football we played in this match? (Utd played some good stuff too) This is probably the threshold where the power switched from us to them and it fizzles out with us playing the football Bayern wish they were playing now. But bloody hell... Imagine what that team could have done in Europe... Sacchi's 88 Dutch-tinged Milan vs Dalglish's attacking Liverpool would have been the greatest football showdown of all time. There's never been two sides at their peak like there was at that point.

RedLaw

JFT96
Thought Neil Mellor did well today. Showed plenty of passion with his co-commentary.

Seriously though, sounded like we were the better team at least. Pleased for Aspas, hopefully he can get a run of games with Suarez now and can carry on scoring.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I just hope Agger is OK. Losing him alongside Sakho would add a bitter taste to the victory b

But Kelly got through a good 90mins, so that's one positive.

yiannos33

Believe
Another clean sheet. Another win.
Hope the mancs have a replay at Swansea.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
According to LFCtv (on Virgin) the game is on tomorrow at 12pm.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
I thought the LFCTV audio commentators did a very good job of telling the story. I always like a biased perspective that matches my own.

Sterling must be the MOTM. Playing two positions, moving fluidly from back to front. Calm on the ball and delivering passes and tackles with authority.

Chuffed for Aspas to get off his goal drought. All in all the exact type of performance I would hope for from a mix of first and second team players.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Exactly Hope, job done. The manner is unimportant. Easy tie next as well :) Roll on last 16. Hope Agger's not seriously injured.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Didnt sound a classic and even without pictures it wasn't hard to envisage familiar problems which are

1. Squad limitations. Aspas performed better it seemed. But both Moses and Alberto binned at the interval. Not great

2. Fitness reliability of others. Agger again injured. Kelly limped through to the end but again his long term fitness can't really be trusted

3. Defence shaky under pressure

More promising things were that Aspas may be of some use in the cups at least. Less sure he will be much of a factor at the Britannia next week though. But nice to see him get on the scoresheet, think he had to today

Also Serling seemed lively today and a key figure out there. May start to take on more responsibility as a senior player now which can only be good for him

And a clean sheet. Bit of a near thing but they help build some confidence defensively. But Agger being injured again may leave a rather large problem. Back to Toure and Skrtel at the weekend which didnt look too shit hot when we last saw it

Bobbinho

Got the win, eventually, a few talking points, Agger's injury no doubt one of them, Aspas with a goal, sounded like we had a better second half, not totally convincing though, but we're through to the next round, happy with that.

Jan window looks to be even more important now, squad depth needs addressing if we want to push on in the league, injuries mounting up, FSG should have the cheque book ready.

Herb

Mascot88 said:
I just hope Agger is OK. Losing him alongside Sakho would add a bitter taste to the victory b

But Kelly got through a good 90mins, so that's one positive.
Only just got through it by the sounds of it. Need him fit ASAP really if Agger is injured otherwise we only have 2 fit cbs and 1 who can't get a game against a poor lower league team.

shankly96

I post gifs... occasionally
glad aspas fianlly scored, first of many hopefully, but not sure why moses was loaned, looks like being the same as sahin, had a couple of good games then became relatively useless

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Glad we're through but i hope we give some of the youngsters more time next game which should also be fairly easy, Bournemouth at a guess. Obviously didnt see the game and i wont judge anyone based on a commentators words so will have to watch the replay whenever its on before i say more but it does sound like Moses did nothing to change my mind about sending him back. Just hope Agger isn't too badly injured or we're back to having only Skrtel and Toure to play with youngsters on the bench such as Kelly (unless he's not fit again).

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
So much for many of us blaming Brendan and the committee for having too many CBs and/or defenders.
Now I wish Wisdom were here...

But I'm not going to blame Brendan for selecting Daniel. I remember how upsetting it was to get knocked out of both cups last year. Injuries happen and we need to cope. We have younger players and we are lucky to be in the Jan window.

I'm happy we won and happy with the 4th round draw.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
LiVeRp0oL89 said:
Good solid win! Well done to Aspas and I hope he can actually contribute now (unless he's sold this month..). Gutted about the injury to Agger.. hope it's not too bad. Looks like it will be Toure and Skrtel against Stoke with hopefully Sakho back sooner rather than later. Well done anyway boys :D
Coming from a foreign league, Aspas is going to need a full year. Hopefully this gets him going. Another goal vs a lower league team in the next round could set him straight

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Happy with the win, and with Aspas goal, it's all you can say really...

Will comment more when I see the highlights, doubt I'll spend 90 minutes watching it intensly on LFC TV tomorrow, well if nothing else is on I may.

Apparently it is Burton or Bournemouth next, Bournemouth is where I went to University and spent many a saturday so they are really my second team.

Should be interesting, Matt Ritchie is certaintly a danger man as well as Danny Gabbidon, they do ship a few though as well.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Job done, goal for Aspas. Good stuff.

Pity about Agger, but shit happens. No reason not to play him today considering how little he has played recently.