• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool 2 Oldham 0

Canuck33

Banned Users
Semmy said:
Moses played in that game? You're joking, I thought he was running the line.
Didn't see the game, unfortunately. Moses have another stinker? Wouldn't surprise me. Send him back ASAP.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
lovepool said:
12 tom on LFCTV.

The worst this season was MOTD showing the West Ham game. We could have easily got double figues in that game yet they made the first half look like West Ham had the better of it!!!
I was at that game man, the first half was brutal. 4-1 flattered us big time. West Ham had a very decent chances in that first half then they stank the place out in the 2nd half.

Cant see how we could have got double figures. It was the worst 4-1 game you will ever see!! haha.

First half I thought to myself where are the goals gonna come from, inevitably it was an own goal jackpot that kicked off.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
LeoT said:
Just got back home (in London) after the match, ...long old train journey.

My biggest thoughts on the match were.
1. I'm amazed at Aspas' lack of physicality, however he scored a very well taken goal, and was unlucky to head onto the post.
he seems to be more of a 6-yd box poacher rather than a beat-your-man type striker. I still have some hope for him.

2. I was surprised that Alberto got taken off, he was doing OK.

3. Moses; poor movement, dribbles endlessly without end result, couldn't work out if he is half blind or very stupid, possibly sent by Chelsea to drag us down when ever possible. Very, very, very poor!!!

4. If we do sign another winger, its Moses that should fall out of the squad, deffo not Sterling.
Pretty accurate summary really.

For those who were complaining that there were no streams or TV coverage available, I can only say how lucky you were.

While I'm obviously glad we're through, that has to go down as one of the most dire games I've ever seen.
Slightly better second half, but the introduction of Coutinho, and more importantly the removal of Moses was probably the main reason for that.

Aspas, despite scoring was not good, although he did improve slightly second half.God help us if we ever have to rely on him as a main striker for any period of time.

Cissokho and Moses should be packed off pronto.
I dont like insulting our players, but seeing as they're not ours I will.
Both players are just fucking awful and the sooner they're gone the better.

Sterling was very good, tormented them all day, and when he moved to RB he was immense.
10/10 for the lad, probably our best RB at the moment.

If this Salah kid everyone is jizzing about is actually any good, Sterling looks like he'd make a good overlapping full back.
His tenacity when defending reminded me of Mascherano at times. He didn't need to make any tackles, he just had such a quick turn of pace, he just relieved his opponent of the ball every time.

Granted it was only Oldham, may prove to be far more difficult against better opposition, but a sterling performance from the youngster.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Sterling's actually had quite a few good performances at RB or right wing back in a 5 man defence. Remember when we were all over the place against Notts County he was the one doing all the defending.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I admit I haven't seen the game, but I am relying on the Audio commentery, and the final result.

There is no excuse for players not to do well against a team like Oldham. I don't expect these games to end with a 8-0 win every time, but I do expect players such as Moses, Alberto, Aspas to show they are quality, or at least being able to defeat a team two divisions down. The fact that both Alberto and Moses had to be replaced in order for the team to kick in to a higher gear, tells everything.
If Alberto can only get one shot at goal, and moses can do even that what good are they ? I know many will say Alberto is still young, but here is the thing - a lot of the players playing for lower league clubs very young. what is the sense of grooming a player so when he is older the best he can do is take on championship clubs ?
by the way, I expected Hendo and Gerrard to do much better as well, at least I know they just had a below par performance, and have proven themselves many times.

the odd thing is, I don't think Br was wrong to bring them to the club. Moses was a proven top PL player, getting him on loan was great businees - to bad he doesn't seem to want to break a sweat these days. Aspas and Alberto, while I think you can argue they were over priced, they both had the potential to add a lot to the team. especially Aspas who was a proven La liga striker, you can never know how long will at take a player to get used to English football. cissokoh, Aspas, Alberto and moses are proving to be bad choices but I can't fault the reasons to choosing them and trying them out. Things don't allways go as planned.

LeoT

I think of the usual bench warmers who started the match;
Aspas always tried to do the right thing, though he looked really rusty, Moses was utterly useless/clueless, Cissokho did OK (2 decent games in a row), Alberto was impressive, Martin Kelly did reasonably well, Brad Jones just did his job, though he seemed to take an absolute eternity to take each goal kick.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Just watched the game, thought we were pretty poor. Nobody played well, unimpressed with Aspas despite his goal. Another 2-0 and clean sheet so can't moan too much apart from the selection of the vice captain, my fears about playing DAgger were well founded.

cw37

Not good. Probably nothing to do with football. Probably a random attack by a nutcase.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Zoran said:
Not sure if it's been posted already, but here's the full match:

http://fm.lfc.vn/liverpool-oldham-full-match-fa3/
After watching it, I don't think Alberto did that badly to get subbed out. He was very lively, stringing passes around the final 3rd, and a few good through balls over to Moses who squandered them. Had a couple of shots too, one went off a bit wide and the other was saved by the keeper. Aspas was mighty anonymous in the first half. Moses waste so much chances presented to him.

Second half moving Gerrard up field made a lot of difference. Sterling is clear man of the match for this game.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
lfc.eddie said:
After watching it, I don't think Alberto did that badly to get subbed out. He was very lively, stringing passes around the final 3rd, and a few good through balls over to Moses who squandered them. Had a couple of shots too, one went off a bit wide and the other was saved by the keeper. Aspas was mighty anonymous in the first half. Moses waste so much chances presented to him.
Totally agree, as some have said previously - his lack of pace when occupying forward positions really slows down our moves. If we were playing tappy-taka he'd be a perfect fit, as he's not he needs to be played deeper and I'm not sure he has the physique for it. A loan to a PL club would be good for him, Villa would be a good location for him.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Few thoughts, having now finally watched the full-match. BTW a massive shout-out (and a huge thank you) to Vietmoment for his superb on-line collation of LFC video's in mostly HD format ...which just avoids the need for long downloads. Great stuff from Vietmoment.

1) Of BR's 77 matches in charge, and with now finally a 50%+ win percentage aka 39 wins plus a points average of 1.75 per game (which is ever increasing btw) ...we have had 28 clean sheets in total. Very notably however, Danny Agger having played in just 52 of these 77 games, has actually played in 25 out of our 28 clean sheets. Hope that Agger has just a spot of cramp myself. I do freely admit to slightly preferring Sakho myself at LCB - as also a class player, while clearly younger and thus more our future, but if he's injured (as he is) ...then who better than Agger to play there? Both class players and very little to choose between them. I'd be gutted if Agger was now ruled out for a bit myself..

2) Only the 2nd game that Suarez has played for us (although it was just a 17 minute cameo) without having any shot at goal in his (by now) 92 games. Usually he averages well above 6 a match.

3) In BR's 77 games for us (previous to the Hull game), LFC had never once recorded a single 2-0 win. Now it's 2 of these on the bounce. Usually here, a 2-0 is about an 18% probability as a correct scoreline. Previous to this, we've lost to Arsenal (x2) by 2-0, along with Zenit and WBA ...but had never managed to record a 2-0 win. We should maybe have about 8x 2-0's by now ...but it just never happened. Go figure!

4) Squad depth is just very poor atm, with about 17 fit players at most ...but Oldham at home showed that we just cannot rotate at all out (aka to rest them), to any effect. 6 changes from the previous match and we were very sub-par first-half. Pedestrian at best then. At least 3 of the 6 who came in are not viable options for EPL matches. Jones looked decent, as did Toure ...but all of Kelly, Moses and Luis Alberto were way off the pace, first-half.

I do actually like Luis Alberto myself (and I do like technical players in general), and he wasn't bad per-se (actually one of our better players first-half) ...but he just delivered no drive in attack, with the CM balance all wrong then.

5) We played the 1-2 midfield basically all game. Which I'm just loving btw ...as it's proper Ajax-style attacking football. At it's best, the 1-2 is just a whole level above the 2-1 set-up for sustained attacking

Gerrard was the "1" first-half (but he just cannot do that role ... as-in he doesn't possess the skill-set for it), with Hendo and Luis Alberto then ahead. It just sucked, big time aka very disjointed and lacking any sort of drive and purpose to it. Second-half, Lucas took the "1" role, with Gerrard and Hendo ahead ...and that basically worked a whole lot better.

First 25 minutes of the second-half, Lucas had 25 passes (none of them misplaced ...and 8 of these were driving passes), while Gerrard (now in the "2" mould) made 23 passes with just the one misplaced. Also Hendo made 12 passes and Coutinho 16 in the same period ...while Gerrard produced 5 key passes in that period and Hendo and Coutinho both had 2. A complete transformation in our attacking play ...was that double sub-in. Roles were suddenly very defined, attacking routines kicked-in and we looked very dangerous every time we got the ball forward. When Gerrard went off, it reverted to Cou and Hendo as the "2" ...but all-game we went 1-2 in CM. It doesn't work in just any-old mix-and-match deployment (does the 1-2) aka see the first-half ...but with players who know it, it's a very impressive set-up IMO.

6) BR adapting. I think that BR has not yet fully found a way to overcome the very biggest teams, as over the past few weeks he's experimented with a few different (in match) lines of CM and back-four play ...but he's certainly learning how to beat the weaker teams, more effectively. As he said himself in his post-match, a year ago, he might well have kept the first-half status-quo for quite a bit ...and just waited and waited. Yesterday, he very actively intervened to change the team dynamic at half-time ... as he said it "We needed more drive, purpose, speed and intensity in CM after the break". The next (and very needed step) here for me is for BR to show the same commitment against the very biggest teams ...but that's just pretty tough to achieve, with a sub-par squad. Next challenge though, for him.

7) Sterling - He was just brilliant on the day and my definite MOTM. A difficult first-half, but he always kept working Mellor and by second-half he had the beating of him almost every time. Switched to RB after Agger went off ...and he did really well there too. I was expecting (and almost fearing) a rapid tail-off from Sterling after a few good games ...as it's very rare for such a young player to achieve consistency over many games. But that hasn't kicked-in as-of yet. Actually the reverse! He looks like he's going from strength to strength. A very pleasant surprise.

8) Aspas. I don't think anything's changed. In the pre-match, I hoped he would play and score - as the confidence from scoring could make a big difference to him. He's still very much 3rd choice though and very tough to see him make starting XI. Lots of nice touches though on the day and he was very decent (in parts) against Hull too. There's a decent player there. Still doubts if he's true LFC quality ...but a goal at the Kop end won't do him any harm.

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
So his wife is claiming he was trying to avoid trouble in the pub, he left, and was walking to the train station when he was attacked for no reason (said the person who wasn't there). If that's the case, certainly odd that he's refusing to talk to the law.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
The guys clearly pissed someone off and probably has some contacts...either way, the fact he won't talk to the cops speaks volumes. He's dodge, must be...no one deserves stabbing but certain people and lifestyles are more susceptible to it...

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
This is just pure speculation. Who knows why he isn't talking to the police...he might not be whiter than white or he could be completely innocent and afraid of the consequences of doing so. Pointless discussion.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Watched the extended highlights on LFC.tv and just a few things I noticed:

- Aspas and Sterling were responsible for both goals. For the second goal, Aspas showed good fitness to close down the opposition fullback high up in their half late in to the game before squaring the ball centrally for Sterling's shot.

- Henderson once again played well from a deeper position. He found players with precise through balls at least twice coming from his deeper position. Also found Kelly with a perfectly lofted pass that almost resulted in a Moses goal in the first half. I am very much of the belief that he is a far better player when he is played deep but is only being forced to play as an AM to compensate for our midfield's current imbalance.

- Cissokho got forward thrice in the first half to quite decent effect. Seems like he is playing with a bit more confidence now.

- Coutinho and Sterling's shooting both need a lot of work still. Sterling was lucky to have gotten that goal deflected in. And Coutinho blasted a gilt-edged chance INSIDE the box all the way to the stands.

- Alberto looked very good on the ball in those highlights. A very composed and silky footballer it seems. Would like to see him get more minutes in the future if possible. He has the incisive quality and composure for the CAM role that Henderson lacks.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
No Men in the Box Redux said:
Watched the extended highlights on LFC.tv and just a few things I noticed:

- Aspas and Sterling were responsible for both goals. For the second goal, Aspas showed good fitness to close down the opposition fullback high up in their half late in to the game before squaring the ball centrally for Sterling's shot.

- Henderson once again played well from a deeper position. He found players with precise through balls at least twice coming from his deeper position. Also found Kelly with a perfectly lofted pass that almost resulted in a Moses goal in the first half. I am very much of the belief that he is a far better player when he is played deep but is only being forced to play as an AM to compensate for our midfield's current imbalance.

- Cissokho got forward thrice in the first half to quite decent effect. Seems like he is playing with a bit more confidence now.

- Coutinho and Sterling's shooting both need a lot of work still. Sterling was lucky to have gotten that goal deflected in. And Coutinho blasted a gilt-edged chance INSIDE the box all the way to the stands.

- Alberto looked very good on the ball in those highlights. A very composed and silky footballer it seems. Would like to see him get more minutes in the future if possible. He has the incisive quality and composure for the CAM role that Henderson lacks.
Sorry Henderson lacks a through ball. Did u watch the match he play some lovely through balls.

Alberto looks decent but he is very slow but he has some skill. Aspas took his goal well but he isn't good enough.

cw37

brightonpete said:
Next round is the early game live on t.v so no need for internet crying and stamping of feet.
I know. Get in. ITV as well. So i can watch it upstairs without having to declare to the rest of the household, The tv is booked for the Reds match.