• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 2 Sunderland 1

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Glad that's over. Where did our midfield go in the last 20 mins? Will need to do better than that against Tottenham.

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
3 points, back to 2nd and a point behind the Chavs.

Happy days for me!

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Much better performance than at the weekend.

Should have been out of sight, if the ref had any balls. Disgraceful performance for a top official.

Credit to Sunderland though, on that showing I think they will stay up. A much better team than Cardiff.

theres always tommorrow

Hope is in my heart again
If winning the title feels like this I might not make it....but fuck me we are grinding them out 7 out of 7....title winning form....title winning luck!!

Kopite77

Pig Sausage
Annnnnnnnd....breathe.

Was Brendan saving 2 subs a sign of his first XI for the next game? If not, not too sure why we didn't use them.

Scrappy, but 3 points. Happy overall, but my eye is still twitching...

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Omg! They had me worried once the the Sunderland goal went it. We were complacent in the last half hour of the 2nd half. Three points is what counts, phew!

ETA: We have to play much better against Spurs on sunday. Its no pushover with these upcoming games.

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
Fooking hell lads.
My heart is still making irregular beats.

However, a win is a win is a win.
The stats will show that we won 2-1.
It's all about the points from now on.

Well done Redmen.

gb1986

I thought we played really well, had the chances to make it much more comfortable, got a bit complacent towards the end.

Poor performance from the ref though.

kwala

TIA Regular
Should have had the game won long before they scored. Ref was appalling, Vagina should have seen 3 months worth of red. Suarez would have had to get stabbed to get a free kick in that game.

Job done though. 3 points, on we go. Same again next game. That was one of those games you just have to grind out. Previous seasons, even 2008-09, we would have dropped points here.

t34m43

I think once the score went to 2-0 we got a little too cocky a lot of show play, but it did not produce the 3rd and then things got nervy. Maybe the meaning of the result had time to settle in, but 3 points and 7 cup finals to play!

BrennansRed

What we needed. Won while playing a bit shit. Sterling Suarez and Gerrard battled well at the end there. Not a nail left or a tooth left in me head though.. Ref was shocking but 3 pts so all good... phhwockkk..

WrongIslander

I'll take it, I'll take every win like that if that's what it takes but I'm not sure my heart will.

Do you know what the difference is between this season and the rest? In previous seasons we would have been screwed over by the ref and conceded a jammy goal right at the end.

But I think it also goes to show to those that were saying we were going to smash cannon fodder like Sunderland that no game is going to be easy at this stage of the season. So we should be paying a bit more respect to the opposition regardless of where they are on the table.

Having said that I'm very happy with the 3 points. Coutinho MOTM. :D

abcd

My heart can't take much more of this!! As with the Swansea game it shows you can't rest on your laurels at 2-0. Shambolic defending near the end. Sterling showed about the most composure and he deserves a major pat on the back for giving an out ball.

It gets the game in hand out of the way with 3 points.The win was all that mattered but a big improvement needed if LFC are to pick up the win on Sunday.

The other positive is no yellow card for Stevie G.

Kinny Riddle

TIA New Signing
Just when I thought the crossbar would finally be in our favour at last, it proceeds to conspire against us. We'll need more of these mental grit as the league campaign goes down the wire.

And Kevin Friend is an utter twat, kept giving the 50/50 against us, especially in the second half.

Ki Sung-yueng was called the "Korean Steven Gerrard" when he was with Celtic, and perhaps that's why. We should consider adding him in the summer. Even as a squad player if just to sell shirts in Asia.

Gerrard is still on 9 yellows. If (touch wood) he gets another against Spurs, he'll have to sit out the West Ham and Man City games.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Christ on a stick that wasn't fun. 3 points but at least 10 years off my lifespan.

Happy with that, was hoping for a better result, but it's always tough when the ref is against you and the opposition spend the first 45 with 11 men behind the ball. Had their centre-back been sent off for either of his fouls on Suarez I think it would have been a completely different game and more like the destruction we were hoping for. 3 points is 3 points though, and nice to beat arrogant Poyet, on to the next one now.

TheSweetSilverSong

Winning ugly: Check

Breaking the ultimate bus: Check

3 points at the back: Check

Injury Free: Check

7 back to back wins: Check

1 point off Chelsea with them visiting Anfield: Check

Enough of Sunderland for me, mind solely on recovery and on Spurs in a few days! Gonna be a completely different game than at WHL..

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Don't think we were complacent ... just nervous as hell. The lads knew they didn't have a ref on their side so we were having to do this the hard way.

Its a fantastic result, and at this stage the result is all that counts. 3 more points, second in the table and the clock ticks down once more. A small step closer to heaven and a little bit more secure in terms of CL football next season.

Happy bunny but not sure if my heart can take this for the next few weeks. Bricking it there at times.

Red Tiger

Hallmark of Champions?

I am so proud to see us up there amongst money bags Chelsea and ManCity fighting it out for the title.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Massive bonus that Gerrard didn't get a yellow as well.

He should definitely pick one up against the spuds

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Glad we done but that was so nerve wracking. It shouldn't have been and i'd have been blaming the ref for anything other than a win in this game. They should have been down to 10 men, could easily have been a red but why the hell the second yellow wasn't given only Friend will know. I suppose we need to win some ugly games but this was bad on the nerves, to the point i was actually sweating and couldn't sit still.

I have to say i agreed with BRs only sub, Suarez is better all round while DS was playing better as a CF and we needed Sterling to help out the midfield and protect the lead. SG was MOM for me, Cou as a good second but SG played his heart out all game finishing it off by going straight through 2 LFC player and 1 Sunderland player right at the final whistle, seen him do it before but it's that sort of will to win that isn't seen too often.

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
Worst performance of this calendar year for us. Perhaps a combination of nerves and the fact it's a midweek game, which we are unused to. We'll need a better performance on Sunday, but for now our dreams remain intact. Games like these are bound to happen during such a run in. We got the three points and that's all that matters in the end. If this makes the rest of the world think our title chances have diminished after this poor showing, so much the better.

I could try to analyse all our fault today, but I'd rather not because we all know we could do so much better. I'd much rather enjoy our league position, one point off top and five clear from fourth. What a season it's been and nothing will change that, whatever happens during the next 7 games.