• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 2 Sunderland 1

koptician

We'll go again!
Well I hope privately he gives Luis a slight bollocking for being daft thrice on the field...we could have been 3-4 up and it would have been game over

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
JoebloggsLFC said:
Yep, stank the place out. I wonder if he wants out....
I would have liked to see Sterling come on early for Johnson, Johnson had loads of space and wasted so much good possession, just imagine Sterling having that room and space to run at Dossena.

MOM for me was Countinho, thought we controlled the 1st half exceptionally well but we have to be more patient against teams that sit deep and play into feet and then move for the return. Thought we were quite wasteful overall up front seemed to go for glory too much rather than work a better opportunity.

Looked comfortable at 2 - 0 until their substitutions, where i felt they got too much space and time between our defence and midfield. I felt SG should have sat centrally a little more and covered that space, just part of that position that he needs to improve on. It could also be that like the 1st half against Cardiff our defence may have dropped too deep and need to squeeze up to deny the space?

In the end 3 points are what counts YNWA

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
koptician said:
Well I hope privately he gives Luis a slight bollocking for being daft thrice on the field...we could have been 3-4 up and it would have been game over
Sturridge was fuming...Luis had the ball cutting in from the wing and Danny was WIDE OPEN at top of the box screaming for the ball. Luis took a shot from a terrible side angle over the bar..

Somehow, Sturridge was the one who got subbed off.

But hey, it's 3 points right? right.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Semmy said:
I wrote you off at the beginning of Feb for the title. Now it looks like you're being pushed by Everton for 4th spot...

But this thread is not about the Gunners....it's about squeaky bum time for the title race which you have excluded yourself from.
we not out of title race. beat city and right back in it

anyway it is about you and well done on your win tonight but your need to recover quicky for big game on sunday against a good spurs side

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
redandwhite3 said:

anyway it is about you and well done on your win tonight but your need to recover quicky for big game on sunday against a good spurs side
Good luck in the FA Cup (I mean that, sincerely). Better you than either the Manc clubs.

I'm not going to even place a value bet on Arsenal winning the title though. With Koscielny out for at least a few weeks and your lack of a proper goal-scorer it's just not going well for you. Even with Ramires and Willian suspended, you got demolished at Chelsea. Then last weekend...just too many dropped points this late in the game.

Bobbinho

sportbilly1966 said:
I would have liked to see Sterling come on early for Johnson, Johnson had loads of space and wasted so much good possession, just imagine Sterling having that room and space to run at Dossena.

MOM for me was Countinho, thought we controlled the 1st half exceptionally well but we have to be more patient against teams that sit deep and play into feet and then move for the return. Thought we were quite wasteful overall up front seemed to go for glory too much rather than work a better opportunity.

Looked comfortable at 2 - 0 until their substitutions, where i felt they got too much space and time between our defence and midfield. I felt SG should have sat centrally a little more and covered that space, just part of that position that he needs to improve on. It could also be that like the 1st half against Cardiff our defence may have dropped too deep and need to squeeze up to deny the space?

In the end 3 points are what counts YNWA
Good post, i think you've made some good points, there are a few issue's, it wasn't a great perfomance, we know that, we also know who was not really up to scratch.......but as you say, it's 3 points, 3 VERY important points at that.... :D

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Can we no longer have subtitles for the match threads....

Also if I see a silly scoreline prediction (I did a joke one but wasn't at all serious) can I have permission to lament them.

I'd rather in the remaining 7 not to have another 7 like that but...

OhYaBeauty

redandwhite3 said:

Nah, you're out of it. You were out of it the second Gibbs got sent off against Chelsea. Look at it this way, here's how many points the top four have, and how many they have to play for:

Chelsea: 69+21=90
Liverpool: 68+21=89
City: 66+27=94
Arsenal: 63+21=84

So even if you were to beat City, it'd end up looking like:

Chelsea: 90
Liverpool:89
City: 91
Arsenal: 84

It's all well and good to be optimistic, but to think it's possible for those three clubs to drop five-seven points each, over the course of seven games is pretty unrealistic at this point in time. That's essentially expecting City, Chelsea, and Liverpool to each lose one or two games and draw one game in addition to you beating City this weekend. Not gonna happen.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Mascot88 said:
Well I'll be shouting for an Arsenal win to basically put the title in our hands.
Giving them the chance to close the gap and put unnecessary pressure on us? No chance. I would rather Arsenal lose or at best draw.

Set piece has always been an issue for us from time to time, and we know we are quite prone to concede. Let's just hope we score more goals than just 2.

We now have 2 strikers with 20 league goals to their name. Crazy.....

lovepool

Liverpool have to play Chelsea and City so the three clubs cannot get maximum points

Arsenal are toast though

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Good win. Three points in the bag.

A bit nervy at times esp last twenty. Didnt think the crowd helped at all in fact they were the most disappointing thing about last night. First home game in five, in a title chase, playing sexy football and the fans conjure up that. Brutal performance.

We seemed to be forcing it a lot and should have been more patient and played more possession based football. All with hindsight of course cos our blistering counter attacking football has served is well recently haha. But we have away cheaply at times and that didnt help us settle at all. Quick turnovers in possession wasnt what was needed at home to a team resting their best players in Johnson and Ki.

Coutinho was quality. Man of the match for me with Suarez a special mention.

We need to be better on Shnday but I m fine with nervy 2-1 wins from now until end of season.

Come on you redmen!!!

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Seven wins on the bounce, that's impressive.

Sunderland played very well, and made it hard for us. We can beat every team 5-0, and this was hard work, but, the type of game we would lose in the past, now, our character and spirit pulled us through when it got tough.

At this stage of the season, its all about the points, not the performance.

lfc.eddie said:
Giving them the chance to close the gap and put unnecessary pressure on us? No chance. I would rather Arsenal lose or at best draw.

Set piece has always been an issue for us from time to time, and we know we are quite prone to concede. Let's just hope we score more goals than just 2.

We now have 2 strikers with 20 league goals to their name. Crazy.....
Why would you want Man City to win? This is probably the hardest game Man City have left in their fixture list besides us. Even if we beat Man City at Anfield we still NEED them to drop at least 2 more points to win the title. I would be ecstatic with an Arsenal win/draw.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
Good win in the end - we didnt play well at all though.
The ref was appauling, truly shocking performance by him
Thought Flano had a great game first half - probably the best on the field, then in the 2nd was the Coutinho show - he grew with more confidence.
What was evident was how poor Allen was throughout the game - I'd seriously think about dropping him for the next one - with him in the team we dont seem to be getting the best out of henderson...
Suarez too had a bit of a stinker - shame that Sturridge is the one who gets pulled each time - he was ok - but you can tell the manager will never sub suarez.
End of the day though 3pts matter, and I'd take that result every game if it were offered now!

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Yes Coutinho had a great game, probably MoM, but it seems to me that our attacking play is better when Sterling is in the team. Accommodating them both is of course problematic. The obvious answer is to bench Allen and play Henderson alongside Gerrard, which may not work all that well. If I'd been BR last night, however, I would've taken Allen off as he wasn't contributing much.

KraznyIvan

First half performance was ok but the 2nd left something to be desired. Once the second went in we looked about evens with sunderland and thats a bit of a worry. This was the first time that Ive questioned BRs in game decisions in ages. I thought we needed to pack the midfield and play on the break but it seemed as though we were looking for a 3rd and ended up hanging on a bit.

Still. A good 3 points on a rocky midweek night. Hoping for arse to do city and for no fuck ups by us on a cursed sunday game. That would put the title in our hands.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
What a game.

They set out to get a draw. 5 at the back to deal with Sturrdige and Suarez. I think teams like Crystal Palace, Norwich and West Ham will continue using such a set up where they'll just try to get a point by parking the bus whereas Spurs, Chelsea and City would most likely go for a win playing a more attacking style which could suit us.

Coutinho was sublime. Gerrard leading from the front. You can tell he really wants it.

In my opinion, Johnson was a bit poor. He just wastes too much time on the ball in attacking positions sometimes.

Rodgers should have used his remaining substitutions. In the final 30 minutes or so Sunderland kept attacking us and our players were finding it difficult to get a hold of the game. A substitution to just slow things down a bit and let the players catch a breath while wasting a few valuable minutes would not have hurt.

3 pints in though. 7 on the trot!

BTW, did anyone watch that video of the fans welcoming the bus? It was amazing. The support was brilliant. Let's hope the atmosphere keeps on improving at home. Make it memorable lads!

Here's the video

http://youtu.be/YrlPxPLXsVE

jimbo

TIA Regular
Like Rogers said we are not the finished article. 2 years ago we would have drawn that game.. We should have killed the game and got another goal. We got complacent and everyone assumed it was going to be a 5-6 nil romp. Listening to poyet he really changed the way Sunderland lined up , they had 8 players behind the ball!! So we did really well, the game became nervous when kiy came on and Johnson they changed the formation and became open we should of capitalised. But they grew in confidence while we were sulking looking for the free kicks. Which fair enough we should have got. The problem is we don't distribute from the back from Migs how many of his passes go straight into the crowd? It's appalling. We are lacking 1 midfielder who can hold the ball and be calm with it.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
afrikana said:
This is mainly down to this diamond formation which dictates both having to cover a lot of ground, especially defensively due to the space we concede on the flanks; play that against Tottenham and these two will be running on fumes by the second half and any decent team will take advantage of that.

We just arent as fluent using this formation, especially our ability to counter attack from deep and winning the ball high up the pitch when the opposition full back has the ball.

Moreover, when we lose the ball with Allen and Henderson high up the pitch, Gerrard gets exposed, CBs push wide to cover and its just an accident waiting to happen.

The referee was terrible, Vagina should have been sent off and we didnt get any decision the whole night.

Main thing is the 3 points which we got, so on to the next game.
It will be interesting to see how BR goes for the Tottenham game. Maybe reverting to 433 would be the best way to go. We literally pulverised them with that formation earlier in the season, and it generally provides more equilibrium and fluency in our game when we use it.

jimbo

TIA Regular
Uberkoen said:
What a game.

They set out to get a draw. 5 at the back to deal with Sturrdige and Suarez. I think teams like Crystal Palace, Norwich and West Ham will continue using such a set up where they'll just try to get a point by parking the bus whereas Spurs, Chelsea and City would most likely go for a win playing a more attacking style which could suit us.

Coutinho was sublime. Gerrard leading from the front. You can tell he really wants it.

In my opinion, Johnson was a bit poor. He just wastes too much time on the ball in attacking positions sometimes.

Rodgers should have used his remaining substitutions. In the final 30 minutes or so Sunderland kept attacking us and our players were finding it difficult to get a hold of the game. A substitution to just slow things down a bit and let the players catch a breath while wasting a few valuable minutes would not have hurt.

BTW, did anyone watch that video of the fans welcoming the bus? It was amazing. The support was brilliant. Let's hope the atmosphere keeps on improving at home. Make it memorable lads!

Here's the video

Disagree palace, Norwich west ham are at home and in a relegation battle they have to try to win ;)

ptt

2020, head of the table.
mattyhurst said:
Can we no longer have subtitles for the match threads....

Also if I see a silly scoreline prediction (I did a joke one but wasn't at all serious) can I have permission to lament them.

I'd rather in the remaining 7 not to have another 7 like that but...
We're going to put 5 past Spurs, lament away :)

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
I swear just before Gerrard scored that beauty of a free kick I was thinking that once in a while Suarez should let Stevie blast one in, well he didn't exactly blast it in but curled it!

Not the best match or performance but all that matters is the 3 points and coming away unscathed. Maybe we played too quickly and without patience but we didn't create the quality chances that we usually do. Coutinho was great while Luis seemed to have misplaced his shooting boots yesterday. He must have had like 7/8 shots and only one on target. He still put on a show though and worked incredibly hard until the 93rd minute.

Its great that we continued to attack even when 2-0 up but we need to concentrate better when it comes to defending. Like we didn't know. 7 wins in a row and 7 to go. Just found out we'd have to break a record as no club as finished the season with a 14 match win streak. So City and Chelsea might have to drop at least 5 points to give us a good chance at the title as we could end up dropping a few points ourselves. I hope not though. Spurs next, we can't take them lightly just cause we thrashed them 0-5 at the Lane. They are playing better now so we got to be at our best. I'd be happy with another 2-1 finish but we could just as easily thrash them again.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
jimbo said:
Disagree palace, Norwich west ham are at home and in a relegation battle they have to try to win ;)
They'll be happy with a point. They won't see Liverpool as a must win - they will be targeting the teams around them

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
Uberkoen said:
What a game.

Here's the video

nice and good bit of pyro too!

redandwhite3

OhYaBeauty said:
Nah, you're out of it. You were out of it the second Gibbs got sent off against Chelsea. Look at it this way, here's how many points the top four have, and how many they have to play for:

Chelsea: 69+21=90
Liverpool: 68+21=89
City: 66+27=94
Arsenal: 63+21=84

So even if you were to beat City, it'd end up looking like:

Chelsea: 90
Liverpool:89
City: 91
Arsenal: 84

It's all well and good to be optimistic, but to think it's possible for those three clubs to drop five-seven points each, over the course of seven games is pretty unrealistic at this point in time. That's essentially expecting City, Chelsea, and Liverpool to each lose one or two games and draw one game in addition to you beating City this weekend. Not gonna happen.
this thread about sunderland game so i try to stick to that. well done on the win and kind of wins you need to stay in title hunts.

city could only get 90 if we beat them on saturday .
You make fair points but it is hard but it is possible for us still to win title if we win rest of games to get to 84 points. we could still catch you and chelsea but city will be harder with their games in hand. we not favourites and still be long shot even if we win but we keep ourselves in it if we win on saturday. .
chelsea vs you could result in both teams dropping points and city having to go to everton still and you and chelsea having to go to swansea away still give us a shot. plus you and spurs can take points of each other

look its a long shot though but i won,t give up untill saturday at least.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
redandwhite3 said:
city could only get 90 if we beat them on saturday .
You make fair points but it is hard but it is possible. we could still catch you and chelsea but city will be harder with their games in hand. we not favourites and still be long shot even if we win but we keep ourselves in it if we win on saturday. and chelsea vs you could result in both teams dropping points and city having to go to everton still and chelsea away to swansea still give us a shot. plus you and spurs can take points of each other

look deep down its a long shot and city will probally win the league even if we beat them on saturday but we keep ourselves in hunt if we win on saturday. we got two tough games ahead but we win our last five for sure.
Keep the faith man.

afrikana

TIA Squad Member
Hope in your heart said:
It will be interesting to see how BR goes for the Tottenham game. Maybe reverting to 433 would be the best way to go. We literally pulverised them with that formation earlier in the season, and it generally provides more equilibrium and fluency in our game when we use it.
I have a bad feeling he will stick with this diamond formation, saw it with the 3-5-2, it just doesn't work trying to accomodate both Suarez and Sturridge up top. Mark them out of the game and we end up relying on Allen, Henderson and the Full backs to stretch the game.

You could see the difference when Sterling came in, we were alot more balanced defensively.

redandwhite3

Semmy said:
Good luck in the FA Cup (I mean that, sincerely). Better you than either the Manc clubs.

I'm not going to even place a value bet on Arsenal winning the title though. With Koscielny out for at least a few weeks and your lack of a proper goal-scorer it's just not going well for you. Even with Ramires and Willian suspended, you got demolished at Chelsea. Then last weekend...just too many dropped points this late in the game.
Fair point and fa cup are best chance by long way of winning things this year but while we in title hunt we give it go.

You did well to break them down last night . you could tell lot of former man united players like o,shea and brown were up for it last night to stop liverpool winning. They on day sunderland can be very tough team to play and they proved that last night

still think rodgers made a error not bringing lucas on when you were 2-0 up. he should have taken the pace out of game. instead you midfield tired and was exposed by fresher sunderland players.

can,t imagine rodgers will play same midfield three games in row. surley needs to maybe bring sterling in for a allen . allen done well for you but he tired badly last night.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Lucas for Allen against Spurs then?Allen does not create chances.Just side wards and backwards passes.
Sunderland defended well in the 1st half and the ref should have given us 2 penos I think.