Post Match: Liverpool 3-0 Southampton (EPL 22/9/2018 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander Arnold

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Matip [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • Van Dijk [off 55’]

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 70’]

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Henderson

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Shaqiri [off 45’]

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 45+2’]

Votes: 18 11.9%
  • Firmino

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Mane

• Milner [on 45’]

• Gomez [on 55’]

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Keita [on 70’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
I went for Mo as MOTM for his tireless hard work and just for seeing his smile again.
The pessimist in me tells me someone has had a word with Mo to try and look happy during the match.
We've seen what the media can do when they get a sniff of something they can twist into 'unrest', and we've seen how fans, particularly in the social media age, can be gullible enough to believe those stories and turn the situation into an unstoppable snowball - 'Real tapped him up', ' he hates his teammates', 'he wants to leave Liverpool' just because he isn't smiling. I actually missed the first half for my daughter's dance comp which she was in a shitty mood for. I told her if she didn't want to put in her best effort at least smile and pretend she is enjoying it, for the judges. And it turns out she's a good lier ( which if she's smart will probably use on me multiple times later in life).

I didn't truly believe his 'smile after every miss' - it was in such stark contrast to the game 4 days before - but i hope it does ease some pressure off him.

Last edited:

Chewbazza

True Believer
So. A 3-0 home win, 7th league win on the trot and we are top of the league........and we are on 3 pages :think:
I think what fuels a lot of the debate in here is people complaining about the owners, or Klopp or particular players. After 7 wins in a row, there's not a lot for the usual suspects to be having a moan about.

We should definitely re-sign Lucas in January so we have something to discuss at length.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Nice to win and another clean sheet. But, was it me or was the second half flat? It was a bit like, 'we've won, hurry up and blow the final whistle'. And the crowd, where were they. From what I saw, and could hear, it WAS like a library. Maybe it was my stream; perhaps @ILLOK was there and can put us straight.
I think very intentionally and with the schedule ahead we shut down second half.

Commando

I think what fuels a lot of the debate in here is people complaining about the owners, or Klopp or particular players. After 7 wins in a row, there's not a lot for the usual suspects to be having a moan about.

We should definitely re-sign Lucas in January so we have something to discuss at length.
They've even fixed the pitch side microphone for when Peter McDowell (?) does the team announcement. Oh, and the fans aren't getting off at eighty minutes. Surely there must be something for us Victor Meldrews to moan about.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

I hear Moreno may make an appearance vs Chelsea mid week and Lovren will make a return to the match day squad shortly. 50+ page post match threads incoming!

Commando

They've even fixed the pitch side microphone for when Peter McDowell (?) does the team announcement. Oh, and the fans aren't getting off at eighty minutes. Surely there must be something for us Victor Meldrews to moan about.
Oooh, oooh, Oooh, I've thought of something. I don't like white football boots (Matip and Gini (?)). They look like you've forgotten your proper boots and have borrowed a pair of tennis pumps.

Why did you remind me of him; the enigma is solved by asking what is the first recollection. Fucking shit.

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
We need to get to the stage where teams like Southampton come to Anfield knowing they are going to lose and are only focused on keeping the score down. That's what happened today. Means we can cruise through games without expending too much energy.

I thought the half time sub showed how serious we are about going for the title. The game was won and Shaqiri had played well but we were too open down the left hand side. Southampton were getting some joy down there so the first thought for the second half is to close that threat down, not push on for more goals. We just killed it stone dead. There's definitely been a shift in attitude this season. Game management is the top priority.

Salah was excellent today and I enjoyed Joe Gomez's cameo appearance. Almost VVD-like the way he cruised around the back line. Good to see Shaqiri get a start and he did his job in helping to shift the Southampton bus. Another really professional team performance where we barely had to break sweat to get three points.

Icedagger

Great cameo from Shaq. So nice to have another legit attacking threat to unlock the bus parkers like Man United and other small teams. Agree with multiple other posters that we are taking psychological advantage of the teams that fear to come to Anfield. We go again!

OCred

3-nill, at home vs bottom half team, job well done.

I was very pleased with the focus and energy. The team came out to play and took nothing for granted. They are now consistently demonstrating that mentality required to be a championship side. And have to be this way each time out.

Interesting to see how this Shaq combination works out. I thought that perhaps his withdrawal at halftime was because of the upcoming cup game. But Shaq and the front 3 looked interchangeable and seem like they are going to click bigly. Very excited about this.

Scum tied by wolves and our academy player Coady, a nice little treat.

Now the next game is most important, nothing we can do about the draw, but I hope we go with a strong side. It’s actually the Chavs who have to decide if they want to play a strong side or not.

Wanted to give Shaq MOTM for all his energy and enthusiasm and his set piece wonder, but went with Robbo.

Very proud of the guys for executing and displaying their quality on the back of that high octane and drama CL game.

Neukolln

Oooh, oooh, Oooh, I've thought of something. I don't like white football boots (Matip and Gini (?)). They look like you've forgotten your proper boots and have borrowed a pair of tennis pumps.
Agreed. If it were up to me everybody would have to play in black boots.
Now I am on the other side of that, I love white boots. I know it sort of goes against the traditional spirit of old school football, but I think they look great! :tongue:

Neukolln

I think Gini deserves another shout. Not necessarily MOTM today, but his work rate and contribution this season has been first class and vitally important to the teams overall success. JK seems to be deploying him in various roles and he's shined with everything he's been asked to do. Again, first class effort from Gini.

Robbo potentially my MOTM. I have to think about it more before voting but if pressed I might give it to him right now.

Joe Gomez was a stud in his time on in relief of big Virg. Watching the training LFCTV videos, I am getting the sense that Joe and Virgil are spending time together off the pitch and are developing a great friendship.

Big Shaq. As my man SBYM so eloquently proclaimed in the game thread: Chaos Incarnate. I intend to use that phrase the rest of the season! Big Shaq was switched on and causing chaos everywhere on the pitch.

I know JK said the team was "set up differently" (than their usual) in the first half and some players were asked to do different things, but I thought Mane seemed a little off today.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
What was the reason Shaqiri came off....?
Tactical, Klopp wanted more control and he wasn’t tracking back / pressing as he should apparently. Or Klopp saw our Swiss maestro help us blow Southampton away and wants to hide how good he could be for us. :think:

Bonus

TIA New Signing
didn't see much of the game (cheers kodi), but I did see the Salah goal,
and it was telling the way the rest of the team congratulated him, big smiles and hugs all round.
Basically IMO they showed their love for him!

Still I would have preferred him to celebrate by picking up a water bottle and smashing it to the ground in front of TV cameras
with a smile and a wink of his eye.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Excellent first half and the Shaqiri substitution was understandable, going forward he was excellent but he did nothing defensively. If you want to play for Jurgen you have to put in a shift defensively, it took JK a few years to get that through Studge’S head but against PSG he finally clicked.
He brought on Milner to show him that if he wants to play in midfield he has to press further up the field. He sets tough standards and the same goes with Fabinho and Keita. These are the standards JK is setting for us to win a trophy this season. This is the first time i was not stressed and Gomez was my motm as he was awesome he even covered for matip on a few occasions.
I thought he did work hard but playing from the 10 position he couldn't help cover Soares and Redmond who were doubling up on Robbo and changing to the 3 in midfield help stop this, it was more this system rather than the player.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Excellent first half and the Shaqiri substitution was understandable, going forward he was excellent but he did nothing defensively. If you want to play for Jurgen you have to put in a shift defensively, it took JK a few years to get that through Studge’S head but against PSG he finally clicked.
He brought on Milner to show him that if he wants to play in midfield he has to press further up the field. He sets tough standards and the same goes with Fabinho and Keita. These are the standards JK is setting for us to win a trophy this season. This is the first time i was not stressed and Gomez was my motm as he was awesome he even covered for matip on a few occasions.
Regarding the Shaqiri substitution, tonight I was talking to someone who was in the main stand, sitting directly behind the dugout. He told me that Klopp was ranting at Shaqiri, accusing him of not listening to his instructions and then immediately told Milner to warm up. So it appears to me that Shaqiri is not injured, he was ‘hooked’.

Toro

Florida Red
Regarding the Shaqiri substitution, tonight I was talking to someone who was in the main stand, sitting directly behind the dugout. He told me that Klopp was ranting at Shaqiri, accusing him of not listening to his instructions and then immediately told Milner to warm up. So it appears to me that Shaqiri is not injured, he was ‘hooked’.
I was wondering if Shaq had been hooked for not following Klopp's instructions. He had been MOTM to that point, and Klopp rarely substitutes players at half-time. So I thought there had been something Shaq had done to upset Klopp.