Post Match: Liverpool 3-0 Southampton (EPL 22/9/2018 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Alexander Arnold

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Matip [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • Van Dijk [off 55’]

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Robertson

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Wijnaldum [off 70’]

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Henderson

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Shaqiri [off 45’]

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 45+2’]

Votes: 18 11.9%
  • Firmino

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Mane

• Milner [on 45’]

• Gomez [on 55’]

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Keita [on 70’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Foldy

Shaq played a blinder in the first half, that 4-2-3-1 is quite a tasty formation and to be honest there's a number of player options we could put out at the minute that would work really well. Pity though Klopp didn't let Shaq have a full game, the lad worked hard and scared the shit out of that Southampton defence. Hopefully Salah's goal gives him a confidence boost. Matip was ok and seemed to fit in well enough alongside Virgil. What I like is that we seem to soak up the pressure really well now, we look confident at the back and in the midfield when teams attack and our counter play is just sublime. Chelsea dropping points is a boost as well, if we keep our heads down and get better because I don't think we're anywhere near 100% yet then what a season we could have.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
I think very intentionally and with the schedule ahead we shut down second half.
The Mem and I watched the game again last night, and Gary Gillespie (LFC TV commentator), confirmed my earlier conclusion, that the atmosphere was flat. However, that was almost entirely down to Southampton; they came with a "park the bus" mentality, and offered little / next to nothing offensively, even when 3-0 down. In fact, throughout the second half they played as if they were the team that was three goals up.

I believe the Shaqiri substitution was made in anticipation of Southampton launching a second half onslaught, with them coming at us with all guns blazing. So we came out with a more defensive formation. That Southampton failed to respond, was as unexpected as it was uninspired, and uninspiring. That the game at times descended into tedium, wasn't our fault; at least we tried to score, and with a little more luck could easily have added to our tally e.g. Mo's back-heal.

I really don't understand Southampton's approach to the game; why bother to turn up if that is how you are going to respond to going behind? I almost feel sorry for their fans, travelling all that way to support a load of dross. It might have been kinder to them if Southampton had simply stayed at home and forfeited the match. :shocked:

Red over the water

I'm not so sure that the shot at the death was even on target. It looked like it was going wide to me and Alisson just made sure.
I think you’re right, maybe I’m just trying to be nice to Southampton, since Hughes seemed to be having a laugh with Klopp at one point. But yes, if it was a boxing contest, they didn’t lay a glove on us.

Red over the water

At face value I was surprised to see Shaqiri substituted, as he looked like he was doing well too me. But for Klopp, apparently he wanted more control via the system, as even though we were 3-0 up, Southampton were getting behind us on occasion.

I’m happy we played two systems, as it augurs well for the development of the team and our future prospects. We won the contest in the first half, then shut up shop and controlled it in the second half, and at a canter. I’d have liked to have kept piling the goals on, and to be fair even in second gear we could have scored more, but then again, as the team evolves it seems there is absolutely no chance for a Crystal Palace style 3-3 result, where we go a bit gung-ho and then wonder how the heck we managed to only draw the game.

I see it all as a maturing process. We can pile the goals on and we can control the game and conserve energy. We did both against an outmatched Southampton side without even breaking a sweat.

Gazmaninaus

Maybe he was subbed because we need him for two games this week and he has only been playing 10 odd minutes here and there.

Commando

The Mem and I watched the game again last night, and Gary Gillespie (LFC TV commentator), confirmed my earlier conclusion, that the atmosphere was flat. However, that was almost entirely down to Southampton; they came with a "park the bus" mentality, and offered little / next to nothing offensively, even when 3-0 down. In fact, throughout the second half they played as if they were the team that was three goals up.

I believe the Shaqiri substitution was made in anticipation of Southampton launching a second half onslaught, with them coming at us with all guns blazing. So we came out with a more defensive formation. That Southampton failed to respond, was as unexpected as it was uninspired, and uninspiring. That the game at times descended into tedium, wasn't our fault; at least we tried to score, and with a little more luck could easily have added to our tally e.g. Mo's back-heal.

I really don't understand Southampton's approach to the game; why bother to turn up if that is how you are going to respond to going behind? I almost feel sorry for their fans, travelling all that way to support a load of dross. It might have been kinder to them if Southampton had simply stayed at home and forfeited the match. :shocked:
Teams did this at the Etihad last season. It was highlighted on one of the footy shows (MOTD ? ). It was when Newcastle went there and were really defensive after being ultra defensive in their home tie versus City. The pundits were saying that it was wise for the Toon to do that as the sides around them who may be in a relegation battle with them had already lost heavily there. Palace and Stoke both had -5 GDs in their matches at the Etihad. Perhaps Soton are looking ahead to a relegation fight and trying to manage their GD in readiness.