• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle

Man of the Match

• Total voters

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
:eek: :LOL: :LOL: Where did you find these songs? Are they from the 1960s films? I quite like them. They are abit avante garde and quite different to the music in the usual bollywood songs.

It is definitely growing on me:). I will be playing in all week now!!:oops::D

@Alright Now, @Red_Jedi and @indianscouser , you gotta listen to this. Its quite funky!!
Haha, I'm 100% sure @Alright Now used to play this during his college days.
I had no idea that we were fans of bobby before he was born :ROFLMAO:

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Please remind me again guys and gals. I have thinking and brain lapses now and again.

If we find it difficult to win when Bobby is not in the team, how come we won 4-0 when Bobby (and Mo) were not in the team against a Barcelona team with Messi, Suarez, Coutinho, Pique etc in it ?

Or is it when we are in Champions League competition, our team trains differently and have a different way approaching European teams?
Kop.
It transcends logic and it is pure emotion!
Its a drug that can kill opposition!

Clive

Full disclosure I fell asleep in the second half having witnessed and celebrated my son’s u12 grand final win yesterday (I’m also the coach) in extra time. He got the first goal in ET and we ran out 4-0 winners AET.

The City result is obviously the icing on the cake, but the skill, tenacity and ruthlessness of our LFC guys is breathtaking at times. The third goal reminded me of the Argentine World Cup goal (Cambiasso) from years ago with the passing movement, patience and switches left to right, flick and strike.

Top of the table and looking solid for the tough run to the next international break.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Great result after a (post international break) lethargic start. Something occurred to me midway through the second half. I used to just write our corners off, as they always hit the first defender. Nowadays I expect us to score or at least have a chance of scoring.
BTW, on Sadio's second goal you can see a lad jumping up and down behind the Toon goal. That's my nephew.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
I've said it three times before but I'll say it again....

Back to where we around March. Win every game from here and we'll win this cunt.
I totally agree with this. I said that last year after we drew 1-1 at Arsenal and my two mates were happy with the point. To have a real chance we just have to keep collecting three points - every game because City will hardly drop any now. It’s a tall order I know but to end this 39 year wait that’s what we just have to do......

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
I totally agree with this. I said that last year after we drew 1-1 at Arsenal and my two mates were happy with the point. To have a real chance we just have to keep collecting three points - every game because City will hardly drop any now. It’s a tall order I know but to end this 39 year wait that’s what we just have to do......
Sorry that was a typo - 30 year wait it should’ve read!!

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Its reassuring to know there is no reason to panic when we go a goal down! Bobby was superhuman today, defo MOTM. Mane and Salah were ok too! Fabs was fab again! Robbo is the Flying Scotsman! Shame his effort never went in. Don't remember Adrian having a save to make. although his distribution was good. We have a decent back up keeper in Adrian.

All in all a good performance after a slow start. These 12:30 kick offs are unnatural!

Onwards and upwards!!!
Love that you called Robbo the Flying Scotsman - what a line

MarcusBerglund

It was a difficult game. And on the evidence of yesterday our players must know that if you start slowly and not at 100%, the chance to lose points in this league is a real possibility.

We started really slowly both halves and these were the moments when Newcastle had their best chances. Those long diagonal balls behind our defence /mostly behind TAA who is probably the most vulnerable of our defenders in these situations/ are a cause for concern /one clean cheet in 7 games is not good enough/.
After their goal we had huge difficulties in breaking their low defensive block. We just passed the ball around without creating anything dangerous. In these moments it was once again obvious that the midfielders who had to be our creative force /Gini and AOC/ did not help the front three.
And against a better team it could be a problem.
Look at the firs two goals - the compliments once again will be for our fullbacks and the forwards.

Goal number 1 - Robbo with a great run, passing a very good ball to Mane and he scored. By the way Sadio's goal was a real screamer, world class goal. Salah in his first season scored many similar goals.

Goal number 2 - AOC with another mistake, passing the ball to a Newcastle player, but Bobby and Fab with a great pressure won the ball back. Firmino with a decent pass /not the best of passes, but Mane's insistance, courage and speed and Dubravka's mistake lead to the hugely important second goal/ and 2-1 for Liverpool.

Salah had a quiet firts half, but improved massively during the second 45 minutes and once again the reason for his poor dispaly in the first half was lack of support. Too many times he was agains 2 or 3 players of the magpies. AOC /played from the right side/ is still gaining his fitness and best form /with time it will come, but he is not still the same player before the injury vs. Roma/. TAA started to dominte in the second half too and it opened spaces for Salah. Honestly, our right zone, the triangle /TAA-AOC-Mo/ did not click and our attacks were going mostly through the left and the center. By the way, our left side wasn't working untill Sadio and Divock changed their positions :). After that - Krafth and Schar had a real nightmare.

Firmino is invaluable for this team. The brazilian deserves to balled maestro. Selfless, the perfect ball control, unique vision of the game, calmness, quality...

And once again I must say that the lack of reserve quality in certain areas for us is startling. Firmino, Salah and Mane don't have a back up that is even 60% close to their quality. The same is valid about our fullbacks. In my opinion Gomez will start one of the next 2 games, but Robbo's only deputy is/could be Milner and I don't want to see James playing as a fullback against Insignie, Pulisic, Pedro or Lozano.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
It was a difficult game. And on the evidence of yesterday our players must know that if you start slowly and not at 100%, the chance to lose points in this league is a real possibility.

We started really slowly both halves and these were the moments when Newcastle had their best chances. Those long diagonal balls behind our defence /mostly behind TAA who is probably the most vulnerable of our defenders in these situations/ are a cause for concern /one clean cheet in 7 games is not good enough/.
After their goal we had huge difficulties in breaking their low defensive block. We just passed the ball around without creating anything dangerous. In these moments it was once again obvious that the midfielders who had to be our creative force /Gini and AOC/ did not help the front three.
And against a better team it could be a problem.
Look at the firs two goals - the compliments once again will be for our fullbacks and the forwards.

Goal number 1 - Robbo with a great run, passing a very good ball to Mane and he scored. By the way Sadio's goal was a real screamer, world class goal. Salah in his first season scored many similar goals.

Goal number 2 - AOC with another mistake, passing the ball to a Newcastle player, but Bobby and Fab with a great pressure won the ball back. Firmino with a decent pass /not the best of passes, but Mane's insistance, courage and speed and Dubravka's mistake lead to the hugely important second goal/ and 2-1 for Liverpool.

Salah had a quiet firts half, but improved massively during the second 45 minutes and once again the reason for his poor dispaly in the first half was lack of support. Too many times he was agains 2 or 3 players of the magpies. AOC /played from the right side/ is still gaining his fitness and best form /with time it will come, but he is not still the same player before the injury vs. Roma/. TAA started to dominte in the second half too and it opened spaces for Salah. Honestly, our right zone, the triangle /TAA-AOC-Mo/ did not click and our attacks were going mostly through the left and the center. By the way, our left side wasn't working untill Sadio and Divock changed their positions :). After that - Krafth and Schar had a real nightmare.

Firmino is invaluable for this team. The brazilian deserves to balled maestro. Selfless, the perfect ball control, unique vision of the game, calmness, quality...

And once again I must say that the lack of reserve quality in certain areas for us is startling. Firmino, Salah and Mane don't have a back up that is even 60% close to their quality. The same is valid about our fullbacks. In my opinion Gomez will start one of the next 2 games, but Robbo's only deputy is/could be Milner and I don't want to see James playing as a fullback against Insignie, Pulisic, Pedro or Lozano.
Brilliant assessment. Next we need to get decent back-up full backs/utility striker. May be better attacking and creative wise when a fit and up running Naby Keita finally gets into his stride.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I have to give Firmino MoM, for his influence, but during the match I was struck by the thought that once again I was finding a good reason not to give Mane the nod.

Maybe 10 years from now, someone is going to write a great book about the Klopp era at Liverpool, and what Mane has done in the past 18 months is going to leap off the page. Salah has run hot and cold, Firmino has down periods, and Mane just keeps finding ways to deliver.

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
I have to give Firmino MoM, for his influence, but during the match I was struck by the thought that once again I was finding a good reason not to give Mane the nod.

Maybe 10 years from now, someone is going to write a great book about the Klopp era at Liverpool, and what Mane has done in the past 18 months is going to leap off the page. Salah has run hot and cold, Firmino has down periods, and Mane just keeps finding ways to deliver.
Put me first in the queue to buy that book.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers

Old but gold

Jurgen Klopp:
"Mo Salah, world class - but not every day. Sadio Mane, again, world class - but not everyday. Roberto Firmino, world class, pretty much every day.

Stats and numbers can’t measure the importance and influence of Firmino. No player in the world could do what he is doing for us. Unreplaceable & uncompareable.

Mané - almost the same but for me Firmino is more important.

jaffod

As others have said, one of the most pleasing things about this team is the belief that going a goal down is just a minor setback. No panic, no throwing in the towel, just keep doing the right things with the knowledge it'll more than likely pay off sooner or later. And we don't just scrape a draw or a narrow win in those matches, they're generally won with plenty of time to spare.
It reflects in the crowd too, the fans are a lot calmer and back them to get back into it. Klopp has worked wonders to instill this mindset on and off the pitch.
Yesterday Bobby was sublime, I said in the pre-match thread I expected him to come on for the last 10 minutes to torment Newcastle's defence some more but in the end they had to suffer him for an hour and just couldn't cope. He's unplayable in that form.
Only concern is we are leaving ourselves open at the back a lot this season and it will cost us at some point. Whether the mids aren't tracking back as they should I don't know but it's been apparent a few times so far.
Voted for Bobby, Mane and Robbo in the poll.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
There are a lot of great no. 9 around the world, and quite a few of them are better than Bobby, but I can't think of anyother player who can do what he does.
There isn't a player I would swap Firmino for, bar none.

To Klopp's credit, I doubt any other manager out there would have recognized it anf build an entire offense around him.