• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool 3-2 PSG (UCL 18/9/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Milner [GOAL 35’]

Votes: 115 52.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Salah [off 86’]

• Sturridge [GOAL 30’, off 71’]

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mane [off 90+2’]

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Firmino [on 71’, GOAL 90+1’]

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 86’]

• Fabinho [on 90+2]

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I think this kind of thing sounds better on tv than it does in person.

The PSG fans didn't shut up all game, so fair play, but their constant drone style is not hostile at all. That's not going to put opposition players off as it doesn't ebb and flow with the game, it's constant and monotonous. It's white noise.

Anfield is far more hostile and that showed last night. Our pressing plus the pressure from fans is a combination that has made City and PSG look like Everton when playing out from the back.
Yeah and Firmino didn't bat an eyelid when he smashed in the goal right in front of the noisy buggers!

Didn't like they threw shit at Shaqiri though.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think it’s because there aren’t thousands of bitter evertonian and many twats desperate for me to fail.
Nothing to do with talent and skills then....lol

I think our own fans should lay off Salah and let the media write whatever they want. Our participation in those narratives fuel the fire in their freaking belly more. Friend of mine sent me a recorded call ins for one of the local radio shows, some of our fans need to take stock on what they say in public. They sounded like idiots calling for Salah to apologise and shit. He didn’t do anything wrong, what is there to apologise? Celebrating a goal should never be one thing our players should feel sorry for. Dumb I tell ya...

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Lets just clarify, Salah is not playing badly in the sense of badly, he's just not as effective, mostly in front of goal, as he was last season. In part there would have to be a natural dip from that record breaking year, added with he will be getting far more attention from defenders now, makes it a bit of a challenge. Im sure it will pass. His overall play, except finishing, was much better last night until he tired.

Not even mentioning the water bottle fiasco.............that video came out right on the final whistle, which means there was some sad cunt editing that right after Booby scored to bring about this nonsense.

Noo Noo

I think our own fans should lay off Salah and let the media write whatever they want. Our participation in those narratives fuel the fire in their freaking belly more. Friend of mine sent me a recorded call ins for one of the local radio shows, some of our fans need to take stock on what they say in public. They sounded like idiots calling for Salah to apologise and shit. He didn’t do anything wrong, what is there to apologise? Celebrating a goal should never be one thing our players should feel sorry for. Dumb I tell ya...
I think you're right but his form is a little bit of a worry. It looks like he's carrying the world on his shoulders

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

Attention seeking pricks. The media needs to look at where to focus its attention. Mo Salah and Harry Kane both look like shadows of players who terrorised the league last year. The side one of them is part of has won six on the spin, and sit at the top of both their competition tables. The other has lost three on the bounce and his manager looks like he is cracking up. I know where I’d be looking for a ‘crisis narrative’.

Gazmaninaus

I actually though VVD was immense. I think he allows our midfield to go about it’s business without having to worry about hiccups. Milner was MOTM though. Got to give him credit. He is one tough nut. Who would have thought he would be our leading midfield light once Keita and Fabinho came in. Workaholic team player.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Tuchel said after the match that PSG's loss was neither logical nor correct. Poor guy, this is the second time this has happened to him, no wonder he is shell shocked.

In all reality though, we unnecessarily made it too hard for ourselves. We dominated them, especially in the second half but as usually we failed to translate our superiority in goals. Poor finishing and even poorer decision making, especially from Mane who had a very good overall game but was also very selfish, kept them in the game and when they equalised it looked like the same old story of Liverpool being sucker punched. Well, not this team. The days of opponets stealing games are long gone and once the forwards get on the same wavelength, they'll be some demolitions incoming.

Lots of great performances and it's always good when you can't really tell who was the best player. I would go with Wijnaldum but he's one of many excellent performers. Salah continues to struggle but I think that he is slowly improving as he's getting more and more involved. Still he does look as if he's played too much football with the injury, the WC, the limited time off et al. Maybe some time on the bench would do him the world of good.

PS. Anyone who thinks that there's something behind Salah throwing the bottle needs his head examined.

Last edited:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
An excellent game. The famous Anfield nights are back. Now every team walking into Anfield will be shitting themselves.

Finally after 8 years after Rafa left, we are back close to the 2001-2007 era. We are still a bit far from the 70s-80s era, but we are getting closer and we will get there for sure.

RodM

Just to put an end to this crap that salah was pissed off that firmino scored

And even that is slowed down. You can see he throws his arms up to celebrate (still holding the bottle) and then throws it down in a "Thank God for that" kind of way (or, presumably, "Praise be to Allah" as he is a Muslim!) on the clip that was originally on telly.

In no way was Salah pissed off. Relieved, possibly, but he is clearly pleased for his team and teammates.

C

Caradoc

Oh what a wonderful morning after the incredible night before ........ :)

We actually made life difficult for ourselves at times. Most of our game was quite frankly excellent but we did seem to insist on giving our opponents another chance to attack by giving the ball away instead of getting forward and clearing it from danger.

Our midfield were simply immense in terms of their energy. It really isn’t appropriate or fair to single out an individual. They deserve a huge pat on the back for their physical efforts.

Despite missing a good chance Sturridge played well and is starting to look like a real option up front with Salah and Mane. With Shaqiri also looking good for a right wing or 10/CAM role you have to take your hat off to Klopp & Co for their work behind the scenes.

This obsession with Salah and everything he does right now is pointless and quite frankly boring. He’s clearly not firing as we and he knows he can. Last season is a hell of a season to follow on from and he needs to accept that and relax. Things aren’t quite going right for him including in his personal life - that phone incident may well play on Mo more than for most players due to the way he lives his life and his values.

As we say in Wales the lad needs a cwtch and some reassurance. Its what Klopp is good at but Mo now needs to let it all go and be patient. The more you try to force things the longer it will take to come good. As I said in a previous post a number of players gave the ball straight back to the opposition in transitioning from defence attack prior to Mo and we didn’t get punished. So in that sense Mo was unlucky and should learn from it rather than taking it to heart.

I think we showed again last night that we’re a club that belongs at European football’s top table. Anfield almost becomes a living creature on European nights and its sheer will cannot be denied. When the side and Anfield are in tandem, when their hearts beat to the same drum then they are irresistable. And the ritual singing of YNWA before a match - the passion, the unity and the sheer volume - gives it a galvanising effect similar to the best of national anthems and puts doubt in the minds of the opposition.

As a Welshman the only other place I see and experience all of this is at the National Stadium when Wales play a rugby union international. It is something very rare and therefore very special in top level sport. I feel very proud and privelaged to have experienced both and to belong to both.

RedForever2014

I saw it and honestly believe Mo is pissed off he nearly cost us the game and he knew it. Unhappy with himself. I hope its a turning point for him. He laid off two poor passes before Klopp had seen enough. He;s struggling, but he will come around.
I agree. Personally I cannot believe the Mo we know and love would ever not want the team to succeed, let alone for it to be because he's not the instigator of that success.

He was probably still beating himself up about giving away the ball for the equaliser, a state of mind which often leads to an 'aggressive' relief based celebration rather than a happy clappy one.

I have to say I am concerned that something to do with the shoulder, be it physical or psychological, is affecting him. I couldn't see clearly from my seat, but when he changed tops did he have strapping on it? Obviously if he needs strapping then it indicates it needs protection and when you wear that sort of protection your body and mind has to adjust to its presence. It's subtle but can have an impact.

Let's hope it's just a bit of a form issue, which would be no big issue. Not every player can be on top form at the same time all the time. It's why you need a squad. In fact, it helps in a way, because it justifies rotation and gives more players game time.

Mane is the form man of the moment, Bobby is now back up to speed after a slow start to the season. It won't hurt for Salah to spend a few weeks playing 60 or 70 or coming from the bench, with Shaqiri getting some game time.

But like Mane last season, even when off form Mo's presence and workrate affects the opposition. That's the benefit of quality players.

It's interesting that the midfield that was poor at Leicester was so good last night. All three of them were awesome and as a unit they are perfect for the pressing game. The difference I think was that the full backs and forwards were better than at Leicester, which shows how joined up the team needs to be to work properly.

Klopp said as much in his press conference. Not sure he should be giving so much away about his approach though!

Keita and Fabinho are clearly squad players just now, not the go to players, but that's fine and exactly what we need.

I was pleased for Sturridge, he's not Bobby in terms of all round game, but his goals to game time ratio speaks for itself and he worked harder than normal. He's a nice lad and I was sad to see his career derailed the past few years. I hope this season is a rebirth for him, although I hope he doesn't end up back in the England squad with those muppets likely to mismanage him.

I love seeing the difference a top keeper makes. Alisson is confident, dominant and sound in all areas of his game.

Obviously injuries could yet impact our season, and the next stage of our development should be to upgrade a few of the lower level squad players who aren't good enough to get any game time at all.

If TAA was out we'd be ok with Clyne available for lesser matches and Gomez could be switched for bigger ones. Left back isn't so well covered.

VVD would be impossible to replace, which is the argument for a second dominant centre back. But hopefully Gomez can develop quickly.

If we can upgrade Lallana, Solanke and Origi, who I don't see getting any game time to be honest, into one more quality versatile forward come 10, that would give us the depth to go on all fronts over a long season.

Let's hope we're at it on Saturday, as we've two tough PL matches after that.

If we can get a result at Napoli we can hopefully do enough against Red Star to be sitting comfortable with two matches to go.

Noo Noo

Tuchel said after the match that PSG's loss was neither logical nor correct. Poor guy, this is the second time this has happened to him, no wonder he is shell shocked.
Did he really say that? Can he tell me where he got those rose tinted glasses?

If the game had been a draw PSG would have been laughing. They would have got out of jail. Had we won 3-0 I don't think PSG could have complained either. I think they were generally that far behind. Their only saving grace is the quality they have up front which gave them those two scoring opportunities Note I'm assuming all goals are the result of mistakes one way or another. Quality ensures you maximise the opportunity.

Noo Noo

As a Welshman the only other place I see and experience all of this is at the National Stadium when Wales play a rugby union international. It is something very rare and therefore very special in top level sport. I feel very proud and privelaged to have experienced both and to belong to both.
here here. Lump in the throat at both places. The old Cardiff Arms Park was also the same.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
I actually though VVD was immense. I think he allows our midfield to go about it’s business without having to worry about hiccups.
Agree.

He does it so effectively and with so little fuss that at times you hardly notice him.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Not sure if anyone else mentioned because I haven't read through the thread, but I was getting pissed off with Jonanthan Pearce commentary as he seemed to be midpoint between personally offended and also gleeful that Salah was having a quiet game and hadn't scored a hat trick.

Limiescouse

What an absolutely wonderful performance that was to watch. One of the things that was striking to me was our attitude and how we approached the game. Lots of times when you play teams as fancy as PSG you can end up buying the hype and you play the legend not the players. Yesterday we imposed on the game this sense that we didn't give a shit who they were, we knew we were the better side. When you see the number of levelers both Hendo and Milner put in yesterday you can mistakenly relate the performance and the approach to that of Joy Royal's Everton playing us, knowing the only way they can compete is to kick the shit out everything that moves. But that isn't what happened yesterday. Neymar got clattered time and time again, not because he was Neymar and we were concerned, but because he had the ball and that is our fucking ball so he'd better give it back. That is something we didnt have even under Benitez and Im surprised we are seeing it at this stage in our development.

As for the comments about the game, I wish I could come into a thread and not see needless negativity. We just played one of the favourites for the CL and not only beat them were the clearly better side. The score line was tighter than it should have been, but that is also the result of them being gifted a goal that should not have stood (it is really difficult to defend crosses when your CB is impeded from clearing it by a clearly offside player) and one of our own that was harshly ruled out. If the game was allowed to get to 3-0, who knows whether they would have it in them to have even tried for a consolation so late, and so maybe the game ends up at 3-0 to us...a totally comprehensive and deserving win. What is there is to be negative about?

RedLar

Did he really say that? Can he tell me where he got those rose tinted glasses?

If the game had been a draw PSG would have been laughing. They would have got out of jail. Had we won 3-0 I don't think PSG could have complained either. I think they were generally that far behind. Their only saving grace is the quality they have up front which gave them those two scoring opportunities Note I'm assuming all goals are the result of mistakes one way or another. Quality ensures you maximise the opportunity.
I thought PSG were rubbish. I honestly expect more endeavour from Southampton on the weekend, in fairness. Undoubted quality up front, as you say, but behind them, there was very little to scare us. Perhaps they had an off night, but I somehow don't think they could stay with our pace for 90 minutes.

PSG reminded me of our Spartak Moscow away game last year, when the opposition were dropping like flies. Another match we somehow contrived to draw. Never again!

RedLar

Great performance by the lads yesterday. Cavani was clearly offside for Meuniers goal - if the ref sees it we would have trashed them 5-0.

Sturridge with an intensity i've seen and expected from him.

I was very critical of Salah vs. Spurs but yesterday he worked his socks off. Lack of concentration or maybe he was just exhausted in his last 5-10 minutes on the pitch. We shouldn't be too harsh with him now.
Agree with this. Salah hasn't been finding the back of the net, and a couple of late sloppy passes last night, but his work rate has been pretty decent. Just keep playing him till the penny drops. Matter of when, not if.

Limiescouse

As per my above post.
I'll watch the incident again later. I'd like to know who gave the foul. From where I sit in the MS, it looked like the Ref had given the goal and his assistant on the far side was making his way to the half way line for a restart. There was a pause before the ref started waving his arms and went across to where our lads were celebrating.
The answer appears to be Tiago Silva

LaurazRed

What a match! What a stunning performance from us. Our midfield were all over PSG. Henderson and yet again Milner who looked unstoppable was nothing short of brilliant. Despite conceding two I thought our defending was good in the main. Thought both our fullbacks were very strong considering the opposition front three. I was so pleased to see Sturridge back on the scoresheet. Firmino's winner just topped off a great night, and shows what a strong squad we've now got. PSG are not used to our qualities in Ligue un every week and it showed.

Motm has to be Milner.

RedLar

How can you not give MotM to Milner? Again a dominant display from the boys, the only thing one could complain about is that we did not finish them off much earlier but a win is a win.:well done:
I myself chose Gino as MOTM. Couple of real long lung busting runs, and really difficult to shrug off the ball. In the midfield 3, I think he gives it the necessary range and pace it needs, perhaps even lacks. Gino also won the pen. I thought Henderson did a right captains job last night. Couple of his challenges went through his own team mates, as well as the ball, and the opponent. Think he might have clipped TAA and Gino in two separate incidents. It was great to see his intent. he shit all over Gomez after one errant pass. And Milner, well, what the fuck is that all about? Chopping down Neymar. Our middle three performed like generals last night, so I really do not care who got MOTM. Apparently the BBc agreed with it being Gino. Not arsed.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
L'Equipe's player ratings - I find it odd that Di Maria and Henderson would be rated as having equal games. I thought Gomez and VvD had overall solid games, but two goals from central plays creates an argument.....undermined by giving the two PSG centre-backs a '6'

RedLar

I think this kind of thing sounds better on tv than it does in person.

The PSG fans didn't shut up all game, so fair play, but their constant drone style is not hostile at all. That's not going to put opposition players off as it doesn't ebb and flow with the game, it's constant and monotonous. It's white noise.

Anfield is far more hostile and that showed last night. Our pressing plus the pressure from fans is a combination that has made City and PSG look like Everton when playing out from the back.
Them french lads playing the drums weren't even arsed that there was a footy match going on behind them. WTF?

Not there to see the football. That just sums it up as far as I am concerned.

Gets on my wick when fans don't shut up throughout a match. Nothing atmospheric about it at all. Join a choir or something.