• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool 3-2 PSG (UCL 18/9/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Milner [GOAL 35’]

Votes: 115 52.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Salah [off 86’]

• Sturridge [GOAL 30’, off 71’]

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mane [off 90+2’]

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Firmino [on 71’, GOAL 90+1’]

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 86’]

• Fabinho [on 90+2]

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
I thought we looked great apart from some uncharacteristic midfield givaways
Some of those passes...haven't seen shit like that for donkey's!!!!!

Werder4life

Wich front three do thgose idiot pundits pick again? Yea right - those mofos who feel above putting a shift in. Neymar who? Where was Mbappe all game? Laughable.
We had the boot firmly on their midfield's neck because of that.

Trent Alexander Arnold - take a bow Sir. Robbo as well.
Gini and James had a field day , Hendo got into it and got fired up right on point. Studge a bit of a passanger , but hats off - scores when nobody thought someone could from a textbook cross.

Mo had a decent game as well , but nowhere near his standards. He needs a breakthrough goal soon , before the mental cramp sets in.

No MOTM from me today - everybody was boss.

Last edited:

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
A win against one of Europe’s heavyweights without coming out of second gear.

Salah looks like he still hasn’t recovered after being rushed back for the World Cup- looks like he definitely needs a rest.

PSG actually looked scared of us- they just didn’t commit, as they knew we’d pick them off on the break.

Solid performances all around- Robertson just gets my MotM vote.

Oh, and Areola’s a bit of a tit.
Or from PSG's perspective, a loss to one of Europe's heavyweights.

Would have been a travesty if PSG had got anything out of that game. We outclassed them in every department.

It's great to start the day with a smile on your face before 6 a.m.!

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
We completely dominated the middle of the pitch. They were bossed by Hendo, Gini, and Milly. While Keita would have probably added a more aggressive element to our attack, Klopp's decision to go with those three was redeemed by their performance.

TAA and Andy put Neymar and Mbappe in their pocket. What a time to be alive.

The two PSG goals largely came due to our own errors - a failure to clear the box and Salah's poor give away. PSG were like statues in the second half.

Love that Sturridge decided to get into the wayback machine tonight. He was quite good, even as Firmino is a better fit for our front three.

Two criticisms:

- I'm generally disinclined to criticize a home crowd for a lack of noise, but it's annoying that PSG's away fans were louder than our own despite our dominance on the pitch. They were not quite in European form. That Bobby goal certainly woke them up.

- Salah's turnover was poor. His confidence isn't quite where it needs to be. Though I don't believe he's been as poor this season as some supporters claim, he's certainly pressing and it shows. He'll get there; he can't lose faith in himself.

Overall, we absolutely deserved the victory and I think we'll look even better when we head to Paris to finish them off.

wibseyred

I'm going to go against public opinion here. But I don't think Sturridge did that much should have had 2 in the second half. If his touch had been better he would have scored before the disallowed goal and the header was easier than the first.

shankly96

Dissolver of sugar
All three midfield played well. Mane electric, Studge superb, Bobby brilliant, VVD and Gomez solid. Mo not at his best but you can see it won't be long before he starts to hit his stride. Great win

Flobs

FADA
I thought Salah had lost us 2 points (what a dick 3 times the same attempted pass with the same result the 3rd time he even had a simpler better pass to TAA who had a better angle for the Wijnaldum pass) then Firmino popped up.
Should have been 3-1 even before that though and I would like to know where in the rules it says goals are disallowed because a goalkeeper is rolling on the ground?
Btw our midfield of Milner and Henderson is really good. I love milner the way he seems to ask the opposition 'do you really want the ball?' 'you know what I want it more than you' BLAM!

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
great game which we deserved to win,
should have been 3-1 up at 1 stage, but the play acting of their keeper got the goal chalked off IMO,

my heart did sink when PSG got the equalizer,
But thank you Bobby, for the winner,

Milner immense again as was Gini

Oh and Napoli drew at Red star!

what a start to our Champs league.

head up high, at work the morrow! :)

finally kudos to the PSG for the 90 mins of noise,
but it did feel good to shut them up in the last minutes!

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Well, another great game and result. I'm going to try and get ahead of the tidal wave that will be all about the refereeing, Klopp's tactics, Salah's form and maybe even a cheeky bugger will go on about AB conceding too many. Want to respond to them before they get drowned out by the anger:

1. Our (Klopp's) tactics were 100% the right way about it that second half. PSG wanted to play counter attacking, and they wanted us to be stretched. Add to the fact we werent controlling it brilliantly. Playing the percentages was to play it around with a 1 goal lead than to try and blow them out of the water and leave us with much heavier risks of their forwards aka the Cherrypickers, getting a sneaky one or two.

2. Salah is not feeling it. Deal with it. Last year it could be argued he was riding the wave of sending his country into the world cup, and clearly there was a downer when he couldn't affect the result in the CL final because of his injury, with the knock-on effect of his WC being severely disrupted. His frustration at things not clicking (and being able to back up his words of continuing where he left off) is making things a little bit worse but its understandable. It does him or us any good going on and on and on about it (haven't we done this enough to our players?). His form likely will pick up. Just be patient.

3. Regardless of the shockingly delayed response, the disallowed goal was 100% correct. Neither Salah nor Sturridge could believe it so why would you? We don't need to start suggesting that UEFA are part of the FA refereeing conspiracy that has become so popular on here.

4. Fucking loved Bobby's goal celebration. Always does it with a deadpan look that just makes it all the better.

5. Hope that was a bit of tapping up through sweet whisperings in Mbappe's ear at the end from Klopp.

6. I realised why I have stayed away from BT Sport for so long. Utter trash, talking constantly about how extremely poor PSG were when we were only a goal up as if we were flogging them. Sure they were sloppy, and they aren't the hardest working team you will ever see, but we didn't exactly create a million chances that second half (made more difficult with them playing all 7 outfield players behind the ball).

OK, thats out of the way....MOTM is very difficult to call between Milner and Hendo. They were clearly well instructed before the match and they did a phenomenal job of cutting off Neymar's runs whenever he was on the ball. Fucking bulldogs the pair of them. Milner just edges it. Special mention to everyone's favourite Robbo, though for his part in their first goal (not just the unlucky deflection) I can't give him MOTM.

Great great result, gives us more momentum to try and do the job over the next 5 or 6 big games, but also gives us plenty of opportunities for lessons learnt.

Noo Noo

Cracking game, cracking result even though it should not have been as tight as it was. Milner and Wijnaldum in midfield were immense. TAA too. Robertson did a pretty decent job on Mbappe. Mane was again excellent if a little greedy, Sturridge as well.

Salah worries me. Doesn't look anywhere near the same player some how. The confidence is gone.

They scored from 2 poor mistakes. They are that dangerous but we were simply the stronger side by some margin I thought. just not quite clinical enough.

if I were a PSG fan and had to rate my team Neymar would get 1 out of 10. He was truly awful and TAA ran riot because of it.

Worth noting that I think Tuchel was a little slow in reacting to the problems that TAA was causing them. He was given a free run down their left.

dockers_strike

Great result but did I see Mo throw a bottle on the ground after Bobby's goal and the camera showed Klopp celebrating? He's obviously going to be a bit frustrated with his game tonight and giving the ball away for their equaliser.

Shows why PSG will fail in the CL. They have no real opposition in the French League and think they can just bide their time and score at will. Well they can do that in France but not in the CL.

We're still not reaching the heights of smooth, penetrating football but onwards we go.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Or from PSG's perspective, a loss to one of Europe's heavyweights.

Would have been a travesty if PSG had got anything out of that game. We outclassed them in every department.

It's great to start the day with a smile on your face before 6 a.m.!
Especially stray inside passing; they'll get rollocked for those despite the elation from the night!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Man of the match? Milner, Henderson and Robertson. Take your pick from those three. Henderson shut every passes down with ease, Milner chased every single player with possession down, and Robertson is now worth at least £80m after marshalled Mbappe out of the match till he needs to switch side to score. Three standout players throughout the match.

Sturridge worked very hard, the hardest I've seen him worked for the team and that's a good sign. Mane too worked extremely hard, while Salah is way off his game. Wijnaldum, other than the first goal which he was caught ball watching a bit, was good. Alexander-Arnold shuts Neymar down the entire match. Got all the freedom in the world on his side of the pitch which he should have capitalised. Need to work on his decision making a little bit more. Gomez was superb defensively and Van Dijk at times are too fancy for me. Alisson needs to whack the ball up field more.

Salah, oh Salah. Can someone ring up the coaching staff and tell him to forget last season. Start from scratch. He is trying way too hard, way too hard to try to emulate what he did last season. That is eating into his game. Sloppy pass that nearly cost us 2 points. Firmino came to the rescue fortunately! What a strike....

And....

Was Neymar even playing? Didn't even bother to play the entire match, expects everyone to lay down that red carpet all the Ligue Un teams do in their league matches. Welcome to Anfield punk... now you are playing among the men, not boys! He left Barcelona so that he won't be outshone by Messi, and not wanting to be in Messi's shadow. That he did, he is not even worthy of the Argentine's shadow. The day where Messi scored a hattrick, Neymar registered 1 shot on goal and 1 assist. £200m? Fuck no.... You may have all the skills and talent, but nothing can substitute hardwork!

I have to say the referee is shit, that Salah's goal. How was that a foul when Sturridge got to the ball first. Heard of momentum? And how did PSG first goal stand when Cavani was clearly offside. That is the same side of the pitch where our goal was disallowed and their goal stood - That official at the byline is a fucking joke. Someone needs to check the Panama papers to see if his name appears and any money flowing in from Qatar.

We have 3 points - 7 more to go and 5 more matches to go. Next stop Napoli, and before that, let's get Soton and Chelsea out of the way. :celebrating:

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Great win. :celebrating:

Reminded me of the Spurs game, we were the dominant team and in control for the vast majority of the match. The only player who didn't impress me was Salah.

Thought the midfield was superb. Lovely way to win a game. From disappointment to elation in seconds. Wonderful stuff, loved Bobby's celebration.

MOTM for me. Wijnaldum

JMac8

Great result but did I see Mo throw a bottle on the ground after Bobby's goal and the camera showed Klopp celebrating? He's obviously going to be a bit frustrated with his game tonight and giving the ball away for their equaliser.
He was celebrating. Lineker and co trying to suggest that but u could see him with arms in air before :celebrating: