• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool 3-2 PSG (UCL 18/9/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Milner [GOAL 35’]

Votes: 115 52.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Salah [off 86’]

• Sturridge [GOAL 30’, off 71’]

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mane [off 90+2’]

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Firmino [on 71’, GOAL 90+1’]

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 86’]

• Fabinho [on 90+2]

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Any of the midfield 3 could be MoM. I went for the skipper because he dished out a few bollockings when needed and drove everyone on but Milner and Gini were also immense.
I love Bobby, what a finish.
There seems to be an attempt in the media to create a story of trouble between our front 3. The "greedy" stuff was being trottted out all weekend after the Spurs game. Irish TV showed the clip of Mo throwing the bottle and then its the "that doesn't look good, how can he not be happy because Firmino scores" line in an effort to stir up shit. Fuck them is what I say. Mo looks a bit leggy to me, probably not fully over the injury and rushed back to action in the WC to keep his country happy.
He might start on the bench at the weekend but whether he starts or not I would love to see the fans sing his song and give him more support than ever.

Big_Doogs

Delighted for Sturridge, he’s had a long hard journey and whatever happens from here on in he has shown a tonne of character to get back to this level. Best part of the night seeing him celebrating his goal.

Onto the game. We were decent but were no more than that, as we played down to PSG. You can see Salah and Mane haven’t played much with Studge but they interlinked, positionally, better as the game progressed. Mo isn’t on it yet, but he’s not far away as it’s such small margins. Gini and/or Millie were supposed to be the odd men out in our midfield but it’s hard to justify leaving them out. Although I do think we will see rotation on Saturday. I can see Keita in for Gini or Millie and Shaqiri maybe getting a start for Mo with Bobby coming back in. As Sturridge gets more game time with our front three they will learn how to play with each other as they all have high game IQ. If they stay injury free they will be rotating seamlessly by mid season.

As for Neymar, I genuinely 100% wouldn’t want him in our team not even for free. Bags of talent but plays for himself.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Napoli drawing in Belgrade means a win away at Naples pretty much secures our qualification already. Wouldn't that be nice?
Putting this to bed in the first week of October would be bloody brilliant.

FGred

A win against one of Europe’s heavyweights without coming out of second gear.

Salah looks like he still hasn’t recovered after being rushed back for the World Cup- looks like he definitely needs a rest.

PSG actually looked scared of us- they just didn’t commit, as they knew we’d pick them off on the break.

Solid performances all around- Robertson just gets my MotM vote.

Oh, and Areola’s a bit of a tit.
Not just him what about that dickhead Cavani after he was tackled by Hendo fell about like a sack of shit then proceeded while lying on his belly to wave an imaginary card at the ref i thought that was not allowed in the rules along with removing your shirt in celebration i was really disgusted with him.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
I forgot to add, great performance from the 12th man tonight. YNWA
I honestly thought they were poor, especially given that it was the first CL game of the season and against a big side.

PSG’s fans outsang us pretty much throughout.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Not just him what about that dickhead Cavani after he was tackled by Hendo fell about like a sack of shit then proceeded while lying on his belly to wave an imaginary card at the ref i thought that was not allowed in the rules along with removing your shirt in celebration i was really disgusted with him.
What in the 2nd minute too! Cheating b'stard.

dockers_strike

He was celebrating. Lineker and co trying to suggest that but u could see him with arms in air before :celebrating:
I noticed it in the game BEFORE the tv pundits mentioned it. Hopefully he was just frustrated with himself.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
I honestly thought they were poor, especially given that it was the first CL game of the season and against a big side.

PSG’s fans outsang us pretty much throughout.
Did you go?

It was extremely loud in parts. Quiet in others. As is usual even in massive games.

PSG fans sang to a beat throughout, very good support.

No, it wasn't poor at all.

redaderry

A couple of nice things about tonight.
To let two goals in against that front line is no shameful thing.
PSG's front line alone cost nearly £500M (yes nearly half a billion quid - the GDP of a small to medium size country) never mind the other seven behind them. OK, VVD and Alisson £140M between them, but Robertson ~ £8M, Gomez £3M, TAA Nil. What a defence we have now.

Also, Klopp gave Fabinho and Shaqiri a wee run out as well as the recently injured Firminho - against the mighty PSGlol!!. Really good man-management. What a bench for Klopp to have to draw from, Keita in reserve.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Calmed down a bit. Voice is gone, though.

Robbo was absolutely fantastic tonight, as was Henderson and Gini. But fucking hell, I dunno if they're putting PEDs in his Ribena, but Milner looks like he's in his mid-20s right now. What an absolute star he was at both ends of the pitch. MOTM.

Something seems a little... off about Alisson. Ever since his howler against Leicester where he was chastised afterwards, he doesn't seem that comfortable in his distribution. Few times tonight he was looking for either Trent or Robbo and just put it in the crowd. There's almost a little bit of "If you take away his ability to dribble, you take away his mojo." Hope that gets sorted.

Thought Sturridge was FANTASTIC. Worked his absolute socks off, and for a player who hasn't featured much so far, delighted to see him take his chance and his goal. Probably should have had a second, but just happy to see him fit and firing. Probably should have come off five minutes earlier. Speaking of a player who should have been hooked a bit sooner than he was...

...Salah is more like the player Mourinho let go that the one who destroyed back lines last season. I don't think it's fatigue, I think he's forcing it too much. There were a few instances there where he was cutting in on his left and the Salah of last year would have found the top corner at least once, but this time he's just booting it into a defender. Didn't help that he had two defenders on him for most of the match, and had his ankles tapped for most of it. He needs a rest, a talking to, an arm, a hug... something.

For that, I wouldn't fucking swap him for that Brazilian show pony of theirs. Utterly fucking missing the entire second half for them, showed about as much willingness to track back as Trump does of going vegan, and was frankly shite.

And speaking of Brazilians? Take a bow, Bobby. Take a fucking bow.

As usual we didn't do it the easy way, but three points. With Napoli and Belgrade drawing, that's us top of the group at least for now. Be a tough test in Paris though, a stadium full of that lot will be daunting. Until then though... WHO'S FUCKING NEXT?!?!?

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Calmed down a bit. Voice is gone, though.

Robbo was absolutely fantastic tonight, as was Henderson and Gini. But fucking hell, I dunno if they're putting PEDs in his Ribena, but Milner looks like he's in his mid-20s right now. What an absolute star he was at both ends of the pitch. MOTM.

Something seems a little... off about Alisson. Ever since his howler against Leicester where he was chastised afterwards, he doesn't seem that comfortable in his distribution. Few times tonight he was looking for either Trent or Robbo and just put it in the crowd. There's almost a little bit of "If you take away his ability to dribble, you take away his mojo." Hope that gets sorted.

Thought Sturridge was FANTASTIC. Worked his absolute socks off, and for a player who hasn't featured much so far, delighted to see him take his chance and his goal. Probably should have had a second, but just happy to see him fit and firing. Probably should have come off five minutes earlier. Speaking of a player who should have been hooked a bit sooner than he was...

...Salah is more like the player Mourinho let go that the one who destroyed back lines last season. I don't think it's fatigue, I think he's forcing it too much. There were a few instances there where he was cutting in on his left and the Salah of last year would have found the top corner at least once, but this time he's just booting it into a defender. Didn't help that he had two defenders on him for most of the match, and had his ankles tapped for most of it. He needs a rest, a talking to, an arm, a hug... something.

For that, I wouldn't fucking swap him for that Brazilian show pony of theirs. Utterly fucking missing the entire second half for them, showed about as much willingness to track back as Trump does of going vegan, and was frankly shite.

And speaking of Brazilians? Take a bow, Bobby. Take a fucking bow.

As usual we didn't do it the easy way, but three points. With Napoli and Belgrade drawing, that's us top of the group at least for now. Be a tough test in Paris though, a stadium full of that lot will be daunting. Until then though... WHO'S FUCKING NEXT?!?!?
Southampton.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
He was celebrating. Lineker and co trying to suggest that but u could see him with arms in air before :celebrating:
Oddly enough it was Rio Ferdinand who kept trying to point out that his hands had gone up in celebration before the camera came back on him several seconds later.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Trent, Robertson, Wijnaldum and Milner were absolutely colossal. They just won everything, worked much harder than their counterparts and were just too aggressive for them to deal with.

An excellent team performance, and for the fourth time in a row (Brighton excepted, maybe) a 1 goal victory flatters our opponents massively.

Napoli drawing in Belgrade means a win away at Naples pretty much secures our qualification already. Wouldn't that be nice?
I would say Leicester, we were very poor that day, should have finished off Brighton to be honest, someone is going get a whipping soon.