• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool 3-2 PSG (UCL 18/9/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Milner [GOAL 35’]

Votes: 115 52.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Salah [off 86’]

• Sturridge [GOAL 30’, off 71’]

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mane [off 90+2’]

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Firmino [on 71’, GOAL 90+1’]

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 86’]

• Fabinho [on 90+2]

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Milner was stunning tonight, and I’ll give the ref credit, I’ve seen many European refs blow up for any tackle with the slightest bit of force.

Weird thing was I as expecting a tough night and yet it felt like we were playing a decent but average PL side, we deserved to win and we got the result, need to be tighter when two up mind I will forgive us against that front three.

Glory2Anfield

MOM , well just pick Milner every game and it seems you can never be wrong.

So you kind of need to put him aside, as he has a monopoly on that position.

My guess would be Robbo, because he closed down Mbappé, with van dyke. Robbo also put in a lot of attacking efforts. He played as good forward as he did in defence.

Biggest improvement was Trent, his passed 5 games have been below par, in terms of his forward crossing and passing, and football intelligence. Tonight his passing improved substantially. But more important, his football intelligence became a lot sharper; he was getting his foresight back and playing, players on and passing balls into open space with greater accuracy. Such thinking is worth its weight in gold, or silver. He is also a bit of a work horse like Milner, running non stop up and down the field. I see Trent as a critical attacker down the lines feeding to shaq and then on to Salah, this team of 3 on the right side could be better then Robbo, Keita Manny on the left side, that’s saying something.

jaffod

This team are fucking relentless. If we end up with nothing this season it wont be for lack of desire. Great result especially as Napoli only drew. Milner, Gini, Trent and Robbo outstanding, everyone else put a shift in including Salah - the lad's not right but it may just be the sheer weight of the goals he scored last season weighing him down a bit - think it would have been more comfortable but for shit refereeing.
Expected more from PSG, they seemed happy to take a 2-1 defeat for most of the 2nd half and only got back in it due to a mistake. Their manager is a cock. If we can get a win in Italy we can wrap up qualification by the time we next play these.

OCred

LFC won , but I am not impressed. LFC played with no strategy or tactical play. It appears each player has to play like Milner. Each player seems to be on an individual growth curve of getting better and better, and each player has to bust his gut, as if he is on a performance review.

Note wini is trying to score goals, surrige plays to no one, ( but he is a poacher so that may be acceptable) but all strikers are the same. Van dyke was playing as an attacking midfielder late in th e game, no one is passing to Salah to set up play, so Salah is running and passing cold, it’s Everyman for himself based on his Olympian performance review. This is not a win silver strategy. LFC strategy is play to exhaustion and hope to run the other team into the ground.

But in finals and semi finals, top class teams show up, like Real Madrid. These teams play with skill and strategy. Playing to exhaustion, is not a winning stratergy. You have to play football to beat Barcelona on a big night. Hence psg got 2 goals back and bobby was lucky to score so late.

Also this above LFC strategy is easy to deal with by the top 6 teams, at season end, when you play for silver,

LFC has one big super advantage in that, LFC has a brilliant defence. That even spurs could not pass through.

Brilliant high quality players will beat LFC to silver. No one remembers second place teams.

LFC was playing better last season, even thou the squad is better this year,
Although most of us try to respect others opinion even when they differ from our own, I am questioning you as to whether you are a true fan or just not as football savvy....or both. A troll I suspect, just wondering from where.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
MOM , well just pick Milner every game and it seems you can never be wrong.

So you kind of need to put him aside, as he has a monopoly on that position.

My guess would be Robbo, because he closed down Mbappé, with van dyke. Robbo also put in a lot of attacking efforts. He played as good forward as he did in defence.

Biggest improvement was Trent, his passed 5 games have been below par, in terms of his forward crossing and passing, and football intelligence. Tonight his passing improved substantially. But more important, his football intelligence became a lot sharper; he was getting his foresight back and playing, players on and passing balls into open space with greater accuracy. Such thinking is worth its weight in gold, or silver. He is also a bit of a work horse like Milner, running non stop up and down the field. I see Trent as a critical attacker down the lines feeding to shaq and then on to Salah, this team of 3 on the right side could be better then Robbo, Keita Manny on the left side, that’s saying something.
You might want to go back on take another look at the game. TAA was solid for sure - but he was wasteful with his final ball tonight on the whole.

He showed glimpses of ability to take on men more tonight which was great, he certainly worked hard off the ball and forced/saw Neymar inside a lot to areas where we had more players to close him down which was all good.

But he does need to work on his final ball - that said he's a young lad who is developing so it will come with time.

Ron Swanson

Great result, team did great, should of been more clean cut but hey top of the group and beat the team everyone bar us was convinced we were going to lose to. Milner should be made into a fine wine the lad just gets better and better with age and Robbo the lad surely has to be one of the best LB's in Europe at this time, the lad is a machine, it's like VVD, Tommy Smith and Carra had some weird sex romp and Robbo was the result. Love the lad to bits proper old school and fearless.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
LFC won , but I am not impressed. LFC played with no strategy or tactical play. It appears each player has to play like Milner. Each player seems to be on an individual growth curve of getting better and better, and each player has to bust his gut, as if he is on a performance review.

Note wini is trying to score goals, surrige plays to no one, ( but he is a poacher so that may be acceptable) but all strikers are the same. Van dyke was playing as an attacking midfielder late in th e game, no one is passing to Salah to set up play, so Salah is running and passing cold, it’s Everyman for himself based on his Olympian performance review. This is not a win silver strategy. LFC strategy is play to exhaustion and hope to run the other team into the ground.

But in finals and semi finals, top class teams show up, like Real Madrid. These teams play with skill and strategy. Playing to exhaustion, is not a winning stratergy. You have to play football to beat Barcelona on a big night. Hence psg got 2 goals back and bobby was lucky to score so late.

Also this above LFC strategy is easy to deal with by the top 6 teams, at season end, when you play for silver,

LFC has one big super advantage in that, LFC has a brilliant defence. That even spurs could not pass through.

Brilliant high quality players will beat LFC to silver. No one remembers second place teams.

Who cares?
We've won 6 out of 6,
That's all that matters :)

Red Ted

Calmed down a bit. Voice is gone, though.

Robbo was absolutely fantastic tonight, as was Henderson and Gini. But fucking hell, I dunno if they're putting PEDs in his Ribena, but Milner looks like he's in his mid-20s right now. What an absolute star he was at both ends of the pitch. MOTM.

Something seems a little... off about Alisson. Ever since his howler against Leicester where he was chastised afterwards, he doesn't seem that comfortable in his distribution. Few times tonight he was looking for either Trent or Robbo and just put it in the crowd. There's almost a little bit of "If you take away his ability to dribble, you take away his mojo." Hope that gets sorted.

Thought Sturridge was FANTASTIC. Worked his absolute socks off, and for a player who hasn't featured much so far, delighted to see him take his chance and his goal. Probably should have had a second, but just happy to see him fit and firing. Probably should have come off five minutes earlier. Speaking of a player who should have been hooked a bit sooner than he was...

...Salah is more like the player Mourinho let go that the one who destroyed back lines last season. I don't think it's fatigue, I think he's forcing it too much. There were a few instances there where he was cutting in on his left and the Salah of last year would have found the top corner at least once, but this time he's just booting it into a defender. Didn't help that he had two defenders on him for most of the match, and had his ankles tapped for most of it. He needs a rest, a talking to, an arm, a hug... something.

For that, I wouldn't fucking swap him for that Brazilian show pony of theirs. Utterly fucking missing the entire second half for them, showed about as much willingness to track back as Trump does of going vegan, and was frankly shite.

And speaking of Brazilians? Take a bow, Bobby. Take a fucking bow.

As usual we didn't do it the easy way, but three points. With Napoli and Belgrade drawing, that's us top of the group at least for now. Be a tough test in Paris though, a stadium full of that lot will be daunting. Until then though... WHO'S FUCKING NEXT?!?!?

His distribution has been dreadful the last 2 games, against Spurs it I lost count of the times it flew straight out.

It's still really early days though, he should be alright once he's truly settled in & gotten used to the English game.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

i think this is a great post, its good to keep a semblance of perspective.

a few of us are getting too carried away after winning six from six games this season, and just schooling a football club that has spent approximately 1 billion dollars on footballers in the last few seasons.

its a salient point that our team is made up of hard working individuals happy to run further and work harder than whoever they face...as you quite rightly say, such additudes will only lead to our eventual downfall.

its also a very interesting point you raise about players playing for themselves, our team is the epitome of greedy players just playing for themselves and the fault for this must fall at the managers feet and this will lead to issues further down the track. at some point we may even lose a game or two.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
A few thoughts:

- Midfield were immense, our plan seemed clear - outwork them.........it paid off
- Give Salah a break against Southhampton, or let him come off the bench - he needs a bit of time to freshen up. Teams are showing up with clear plans on how to deal with him, that combined with increased pressure have to tell a bit. We need to look after him over the next few weeks - to get him firing again.
- This was a marker for how this team is developing, we've started a tough run of 7 games with 2 wins, at some point durign thsi run we are going to drop points or lose - but this is an ideal start.
- Finally I am most excited that we sit here with Southampton in a few days noting we have:
Fabinho
Keita
Shaqiri
Clyne
Matip
and to a point Firmino
if Lallana was fit would be even better

Who are all pretty fresh, meaning if we want to - we can rotate and still be good enough to get a result.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
i think this is a great post, its good to keep a semblance of perspective.

a few of us are getting too carried away after winning six from six games this season, and just schooling a football club that has spent approximately 1 billion dollars on footballers in the last few seasons.

its a salient point that our team is made up of hard working individuals happy to run further and work harder than whoever they face...as you quite rightly say, such additudes will only lead to our eventual downfall.

its also a very interesting point you raise about players playing for themselves, our team is the epitome of greedy players just playing for themselves and the fault for this must fall at the managers feet and this will lead to issues further down the track. at some point we may even lose a game or two.
I'm just gonna go ahead and assume there might be some sarcasm in here somewhere:)

Glory2Anfield

Food for thought, the last of the night.
LFC won tonight, but 3 of its best players were sitting on the bench, Shaq, Keita and Fab.

I was expecting Klopp to fly the flag high, and go out all guns blazing, because psg with mabby and Neymar are world class. I was expecting LFC to play the most beautiful football ever, passing the ball through the lines and leaving no foot prints in the snow.

In fact it was quite the opposite, LFC won on shear energy and causing non stop chaos to the opposition, such psg could not settle down and play proper football, with its world class players.

While LFC probably left it’s 3 best attacking midfielders on the bench.

Not sure what to make of it.

I just want to win Silver, like we did in the 60s 70s and 80s.

I see we have the best squad ever, I want to see Silver !

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Gini and Henderson . I am not your fan but fuck me you were brilliant. With master Milly, they scared the hell out of them. What a match. Give Mo a week off. They were lucky with both goal. Each time Gini make a run I thought mpape playing against his team. Man of the match.. Milly