• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool 3-2 PSG (UCL 18/9/2018 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Robertson

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Milner [GOAL 35’]

Votes: 115 52.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Salah [off 86’]

• Sturridge [GOAL 30’, off 71’]

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Mane [off 90+2’]

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Firmino [on 71’, GOAL 90+1’]

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Shaqiri [on 86’]

• Fabinho [on 90+2]

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jaffod

A few thoughts:

- Midfield were immense, our plan seemed clear - outwork them.........it paid off
- Give Salah a break against Southhampton, or let him come off the bench - he needs a bit of time to freshen up. Teams are showing up with clear plans on how to deal with him, that combined with increased pressure have to tell a bit. We need to look after him over the next few weeks - to get him firing again.
- This was a marker for how this team is developing, we've started a tough run of 7 games with 2 wins, at some point durign thsi run we are going to drop points or lose - but this is an ideal start.
- Finally I am most excited that we sit here with Southampton in a few days noting we have:
Fabinho
Keita
Shaqiri
Clyne
Matip
and to a point Firmino
if Lallana was fit would be even better

Who are all pretty fresh, meaning if we want to - we can rotate and still be good enough to get a result.
You forgot Moreno.

Or maybe you didn't.

7th Earl

Food for thought, the last of the night.
LFC won tonight, but 3 of its best players were sitting on the bench, Shaq, Keita and Fab.

I was expecting Klopp to fly the flag high, and go out all guns blazing, because psg with mabby and Neymar are world class. I was expecting LFC to play the most beautiful football ever, passing the ball through the lines and leaving no foot prints in the snow.

In fact it was quite the opposite, LFC won on shear energy and causing non stop chaos to the opposition, such psg could not settle down and play proper football, with its world class players.

While LFC probably left it’s 3 best attacking midfielders on the bench.

Not sure what to make of it.

I just want to win Silver, like we did in the 60s 70s and 80s.

I see we have the best squad ever, I want to see Silver !
If we ever cross paths in life I will buy you a pint and ask your advice on starting a business.

RedForever2014

In the Kop tonight and enjoyed a thoroughly deserved win.

Their manager needs a lesson in logic from Mr Spock, but credit to their fans, they seemed to join in YNWA and were enjoying themselves whatever the score was.

We'll be in danger of losing Milner to the lead role in Terminator 7 at this rate. He certainly gave Neymar something to genuinely roll around about for a change.

Midfield was awesome tonight, defence too, pleased for Dan, Mo needs a bit of time to get back to tip top form, we should be patient and it'll come.

RedLar

I just want to say that PSG would struggle to make our top 6, let alone qualify for the Champions League. They might have a quality front 3, but what is behind them is rubbish.

I am thinking we showed them way too much respect tonight. I am confident of a result in Paris.

Is Bobby not the main man or what? What a fucking player that lad is......

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Well, another brilliant, leave-the-dog-terrified European Anfield night. Roared in exasperation and rage at the equalizer, matched the Anfield crowd for the winner.

Some thoughts:

1) A lot of people dismissing PSG, but aside from what I thought were odd tactics, and a strange mental/effort disconnect between their forwards and their midfield, there is a very, very dangerous side lurking there. Being in this group might just be the making of them. They have not really had to fight through a group stage before, last season was probably their most challenging group and it was a virtual guarantee into the knockout rounds. This time, it might yet end up a three-way knife fight. PSG are fortunate that Napoli slipped up. But if they get through, I think they will be tough to take out.

2) PSG just fielded an attack of Cavani, Neymar, and Mbappe, supported by Di Maria. That is £60M £200M, £121M, and £56M, average age 26.5. LFC almost made a mess of it, but largely contained that attack with an £8M fullback, a £70M centre back, a £4M centre back, and an academy product, average age 22.75. Wow.

3) MoM is murderously hard. Some very good defensive performances, I was particularly impressed with Gomez, he actually looked calmer than VvD for much of it. Equally, TAA would have had Neymar pinned back in his own end if Neymar had any clue about tracking back. As it was, he gave Neymar a head start and still matched almost every run. Robertson was up against the player some people now consider the most terrifying wide player in the game, and did not seem bothered in the least. Up front, Sturridge had a slow start, but stepped it up and had a critical goal. Firmino worked like thunder to avoid dropping those 2 points. The midfield was the topic of a lot of pre-match concern, but really made sure that PSG never really opened up. All three could be considered. Between the goal and giving Neymar a real taste of Anfield, right down to what the grass is like in one's mouth, going with Milner.

Last edited:

blink138

TIA New Signing
only just jumped on to this thread, but i'll tell you what, salah was non too happy with bobby's goal! .................... he slammed his water bottle down on the floor in front of him when the telly was showing kloppo's reaction ............. anybody else notice?

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
LFC won , but I am not impressed. LFC played with no strategy or tactical play. It appears each player has to play like Milner. Each player seems to be on an individual growth curve of getting better and better, and each player has to bust his gut, as if he is on a performance review.

Note wini is trying to score goals, surrige plays to no one, ( but he is a poacher so that may be acceptable) but all strikers are the same. Van dyke was playing as an attacking midfielder late in th e game, no one is passing to Salah to set up play, so Salah is running and passing cold, it’s Everyman for himself based on his Olympian performance review. This is not a win silver strategy. LFC strategy is play to exhaustion and hope to run the other team into the ground.

But in finals and semi finals, top class teams show up, like Real Madrid. These teams play with skill and strategy. Playing to exhaustion, is not a winning stratergy. You have to play football to beat Barcelona on a big night. Hence psg got 2 goals back and bobby was lucky to score so late.

Also this above LFC strategy is easy to deal with by the top 6 teams, at season end, when you play for silver,

LFC has one big super advantage in that, LFC has a brilliant defence. That even spurs could not pass through.

Brilliant high quality players will beat LFC to silver. No one remembers second place teams.

LFC was playing better last season, even thou the squad is better this year,
What drugs are you on?

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
only just jumped on to this thread, but i'll tell you what, salah was non too happy with bobby's goal! .................... he slammed his water bottle down on the floor in front of him when the telly was showing kloppo's reaction ............. anybody else notice?
Yep, Noticed that. It could just be a sign of relief. But he's trying too hard to get goals.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I have been watching football for many years, and I thought I've seen it all. From Utd winning the CL against Bayren, Leicster winning the PL, Istanbul. I have seen Maradonna, Ronaldinho, Messi, Dalglish & Rushie. Nothing could surprise me anymore, until today.
I have seen Milner out running Neymar tackling him, getting the ball and run up to receive the ball and attack. But that's Milner, nothing special. I saw TAA, a 20 year old scouse kid ripping through PSg defence as if they weren't there. But we knew he is a great talent. I saw Andy who was relegated with Hull a year ago taking on Mbappe who just won the world cup, and trying to remeber in which pocket he left him in. But thats Robbo, we know he is like that.
But then I saw Sturridge passing the ball to Gini and running back full speed to cover Mbappe because Robbo was not there. That is something I never expected.
Now I have seen it all.

Allez Allez Allez

RedLar

I saw it and honestly believe Mo is pissed off he nearly cost us the game and he knew it. Unhappy with himself. I hope its a turning point for him. He laid off two poor passes before Klopp had seen enough. He;s struggling, but he will come around.

SithBaare

I saw it and honestly believe Mo is pissed off he nearly cost us the game and he knew it. Unhappy with himself. I hope its a turning point for him. He laid off two poor passes before Klopp had seen enough. He;s struggling, but he will come around.
That pass set up the second PSG goal. He needs to get back upto scratch. Either way, I'll bench him for Shaq the next game and let him face Chelsea.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Good result against a tough opposition,expensive one,anyway!
Milner MOTM for me,maybe it is time he gave someone else a look in.
Robbo excellent again,getting him for what we did was highway robbery.
Pleased for DS,concede I was one of quite a few who had written him off,clear that was premature,he certainly showed he is a viable option to rest Bobby when required.
Clearly Bobby's eye is OK,which was great to see.
Mo is still of the pace a little,but it will come,Shaquiri is a useful backstop to have and we might see him start against Soton.
Doubt that Anfield is a popular destination for any club again,that is as it should be!

Commando

Ad-free Member
The atmosphere at the final whistle was on a par with any of the great Anfield nights that I've enjoyed over the years.

I chose Hendo as MOTM, although it could have been most of the team. I can honestly say that I still felt confident when Mbappe levelled for them.
Credit to the PSG fans, they were loud all night. Their first goal was offside, a similar situation to the disallowed goal in our game against Spurs. The guy who tried the bicycle kick was offside when the ball was played in, so when he swung at it the ref should have blown.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Food for thought, the last of the night.
LFC won tonight, but 3 of its best players were sitting on the bench, Shaq, Keita and Fab.

I was expecting Klopp to fly the flag high, and go out all guns blazing, because psg with mabby and Neymar are world class. I was expecting LFC to play the most beautiful football ever, passing the ball through the lines and leaving no foot prints in the snow.

In fact it was quite the opposite, LFC won on shear energy and causing non stop chaos to the opposition, such psg could not settle down and play proper football, with its world class players.

While LFC probably left it’s 3 best attacking midfielders on the bench.

Not sure what to make of it.

I just want to win Silver, like we did in the 60s 70s and 80s.

I see we have the best squad ever, I want to see Silver !
New it PSG fan

SithBaare

and fuck neymar , PSG wont make the top 6 iin EPL if according to him Liverpool wont make the top 4.

I imagine Tuchel did try to warn them about Klopp, Liverpool and Anfield and Neymar's just too much of a cunt to actually take those words seriously.

fspencer

i screamed the house down when studge scored . dancing dan is an absolute maestro .

thought salah was off it - like @ubermick . salah needs to get his head in gear or be replaced by moreno .(the other speed merchant that can't pass the ball and causes calamities :p )