• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 3 Cardiff 1

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Top of the league

Don't really care about the game fizzling out. We have a trip to Eastlands on Boxing Day, and I completely respect the decision to take the foot of the gas.

Suarez. What can you say, except I didn't like Agger taking the armband off him.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Can't be too irked with the goal allowed, that really looked like it was Kelly's error, as we had double coverage further in and his position was free. Short term pain, but the sooner he is fully back as an option, the better.

Skrtel has to stop clutching jerseys like that, could have been disastrous. He was nearly as bad for that as Naughton was last weekend.

Usual stunners from Luis, but the unselfishness of the pass to Sterling really stands out.

football.tiger

TIA Squad Member
Great first half. Second so-so. Cardiff played well in the second though. Suarez, Sterling, and Hendo all great.

A True Red From NZ

Fluid football for most of the first half. Second half pretty average really once Flanagan came off.
Suarez unstoppable, two magnificent strikes, deserved a hattrick! Sterling supported him very well too.

As for the defense, Skrtel had another nightmare, Agger needs to replace him asap.
Allen buzzed around but was generally mud with the ball...

3 points and no injuries. That's the most important thing. Suarez amazing yet again and Sterling, Hendo, Coutinho and Sakho all putting in great shifts. However, our inability to defend set pieces is a big concern for me and something which needs to be addressed before the Man City game.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Shit second half, our set pieces suck donkey dick. But did enough in the first

Think if I were Mourinho I would be sending hazard and co on dive watch. Then lugging up John terry in to the penalty box because its an open invitation at the moment

But if we are going by the one game at a time mindset, then it was fairly comfortable. Before we mucked around with our back line anyway. 4 wins in a row. First time under rodgers that I think

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Disappointing second half but it's 3 points.

Suarez is so much better than any player in this league. So, so much better.

That'll do, focus on city now. No Zabaleta or Aguero for our trip to the Etihad, no reason we shouldn't be going in confident.

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
Professional win, took the foot off the gas towards the end but that is understandable to a degree. Pleased with individual performances again aswell as a collective.

One thing... Is anybody starting to get a little annoyed with Glen Johnson in the mid-final third?

football.tiger

TIA Squad Member
Arminius said:
Can't be too irked with the goal allowed, that really looked like it was Kelly's error, as we had double coverage further in and his position was free. Short term pain, but the sooner he is fully back as an option, the better.

Skrtel has to stop clutching jerseys like that, could have been disastrous. He was nearly as bad for that as Naughton was last weekend.

Usual stunners from Luis, but the unselfishness of the pass to Sterling really stands out.
I'm not sure on the Kelly error though. Imagine he would slot more centrally given his height and ability in the air... Maybe organisation/miscommunication?

Canuck33

Banned Users
Great game first half. Bit shaky second. Perfect result. Draw on Monday and we're top for Christmas.

Claymenza

Sterling's pace being used to great effect down the wings. Coutinho looks like he wants a goal.

Still impressed with Henderson's initiative. Clever and neat with the passing as usual to get a couple of assists.

Suarez the magician as usual with an assist as well.

Not too impressed with Kelly being nowhere to be found on that set piece. Skrtel has no idea how bad his grabbing behavior is.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Skrtel and Johnson were disappointing. Sakho and Flanagan, once again, play at a level higher to them in pretty much all aspects of the game. Sakho is better at both ends of the pitch than Skrtel and Flanagan, surprisingly, is to Johnson as well.

I've spent a lot of time defending Skrtel and Johnson but they're the weakest, or at least 2 of, our players at the moment.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Absolutely delighted with that result. Those games can be a real pain in the arse so to come out with a win after a superb first half display and be top of the table is excellent.

All credit to Cardiff for coming out and making life difficult for us in the second half when perhaps we'd switched off a little bit.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Great to see us at the top of the table....all we need is do something about our defensive set pieces....it's incredible that the players in our box has no idea whether to go zonal or man-marking which ends up with 2 or even 3 players marking the same player or a player marking two opposing player....wtf is that?!

Suarez as usual is immense...henderson's passes are amazingly good...coutinho needs to be talked by the manager about his decision making at times....sterling took his goal well but again, his decision-making has to improve.

Johnson hasn't really shown much on either flanks on his famed attacking ability and I'm not sure if he really deserves the pay raise.

If we repeat this second half performance against citeh or the chavs, we will be punished really badly....

rab

Great first half, foot off the gas in the second. Not good but not the end of the world as we contained them for the most part. We can't expect teams to just roll over once we've knocked in a goal or two.

Poor at set pieces still, could see Sakho screaming about the defensive line before the ball came in. Perhaps we need to establish a 'defensive captain' who takes the on the roll of organising people on the pitch at these situations. Also someone needs to have a word with Skrtel about his holding at set pieces, it's a matter of time before we're penalised for that.

Worryingly I thought Johnson was yet again our poorest performer as he was at Spurs. Even when the team is playing well he's not at the top of his game. Seems to have lost his confidence in taking players on.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Credit to Cardiff, they really played for Malkay, shame their owner is such a tosser.

Does anybody know how many times we have hit the woodwork now? It must be double figures. Got breathing space now, if we lose at the Etihad we are still in a very healthy condition, pressure is off that game now, we help us nick a draw i hope.

jimbo

TIA Regular
Just out Xmas shopping with the mrs (nightmare)

Can u guys fill me , delighted with the result. A draw at etihad would great.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Brilliant first half, which was enough to kill the game. Second half a bit so-so, but hey - Top of the league, baby.

LiVeRp0oL89

Dublin_Kopite said:
The only role Gerrard could take at the moment is the Lucas role and that's at a push. Allen and Henderson are bringing so much energy and intensity to the team that Gerrard could not match over 90 minutes. Great result!
No offense but Gerrard should and will replace Allen when he's fit. Allen did nothing today to suggest that he deserves to keep Gerrard's spot.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Just beginning to dream.... BTW RIP David Coleman. One of the truly great sports commentators.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
football.tiger said:
I'm not sure on the Kelly error though. Imagine he would slot more centrally given his height and ability in the air... Maybe organisation/miscommunication?
I am sure it was some level of miscommunication, so maybe not all his error - but the right back slot was definitely the one uncovered.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Look at sahko before the goal.

I know he's talking about line, but it indIcates clearly the mess we are at defending set pieces, agree with arminus, why was sahko back there with two?

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
What a Christmas present the guys gave us.
Thank you for an amazing year.

I can't comment in detail yet - too much excitement.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
RedJacko said:
Professional win, took the foot off the gas towards the end but that is understandable to a degree. Pleased with individual performances again aswell as a collective.

One thing... Is anybody starting to get a little annoyed with Glen Johnson in the mid-final third?
Yes. Johnson is so careless with his runs and passing. Opened us up to many counter attacks (or potential counters)

Good win. Don't mind slowing it down in the 2nd half. Mind you we have 2 massive games coming up. 3 points is 3 points

Can't expect a 5-0 massacre every week now can we!

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
What a bunch of miserable fucks you all are. We are top of the league heading into Christmas. We had Cardiff beaten after 30minutes.

Of course we didn't put in a second half shift. There was no need, and we play City in a few games time. It's absolutely right for the team to see out the game with it won at half time.

Even when Cardiff scored and looked a bit threatening you could sense there were a few more gears we could have gone through.

If you want a measure of this side, look at the first half when we were purring.