• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 3 Cardiff 1

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
First things first we won that before the half time whistle, we should have scored in the 10 minutes after half time, the goal woke them like a kraken and shook us up but in the end we did enough probably right to do so with City next and I know football is without sentiment but Makay needed that second half.

That midfield is mobile one touch two touch stuff, Coutinho, Henderson, Sterling and Allen all contribute not sure you get that movement with Stevie so I agree it is probably Gerrard or Lucas.

Henderson though is undroppable.....

In the end this was a banana skin waiting to happen....

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
I wonder if Rodgers brought on Agger to see how it could maybe work with Sakho.... I think he could try that combo next match

Canuck33

Banned Users
Mascot88 said:
As far as I can see mate a lot of the responses are the "good result, but...." type.
I have a problem with anyone basing their opinions on a poor second half, when it as as clear as day the team just jogged out the second half. That's just being professional.
I guess most people are disappointed with the way we conceded rather than how we played in the second half. It was quite obvious that we took the foot of the pedal. And we all know how poor we are on defending set pieces.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Canuck33 said:
I guess most people are disappointed with the way we conceded rather than how we played in the second half. It was quite obvious that we took the foot of the pedal. And we all know how poor we are on defending set pieces.
We've got something like the fifth best defence in the league, so the team is obviously doing something right.

It is frustrating to concede on set pieces, but it highlights how few we are conceding from open play.

Reactions: SGM

Canuck33

Banned Users
legalalien said:
Very good summary. Saves me having to do it myself!
Time to drop Skirts. Cannot imagine how he'll cope with City's forward line. I am / he must be hugely relieved that Aguerro's not playing.
Skrtel really has been getting away with a lot lately. Definitely like to see Toure or Agger with Sakho for the City game, preferably Toure.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
it seems like conceding on set pieces is the ONLy way to beat us.... I actually can live with that at that moment...

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
I thought a very very strong performance from mid-field in both halves - even with some poorer touches in the second half
also really pleased with the work-rate of the team - maybe the luis effect?
shocking goal that we gave away from the set piece

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
Suarez. What can you say, except I didn't like Agger taking the armband off him.
Mascot88 said:
What a bunch of miserable fucks you all are.
Correct.

Agger is the club vice captain.
Would you "not like" Suarez handing the armband to Gerrard as well?

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
hmmm I didn't even notice agger taking the armband from suarez... either way.. no big deal to me I guess ...

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Great first half, magic from Luis once again. I was impressed by Allen, Hendo and Sterling once more and Sakho is looking like a really good centre half signing for us. Lots of positives.

Second half we dropped off, understandably. I would imagine that BR made the changes to give players some game time and also possibly instructed the lads ease off on the basis that the job was probably already done and he also didn't want to humiliate Malky in the circumstances.

Great result for us and sets us up nicely for the next two. I really believe we can and will beat Chelsea, I don't rate them that highly at all to be honest. City will be tough and we will need to set our team out to be more defensive minded than we have been this season - but I think a result there is possible given the injuries they have at the moment.

Canuck33

Banned Users
Mascot88 said:
We've got something like the fifth best defence in the league, so the team is obviously doing something right.
It is frustrating to concede on set pieces, but it highlights how few we are conceding from open play.
Correct. Our open play defence is very good. Nevertheless, the set piece defence is worrying. We lost to Southampton at home on one. If I'm not mistaken the United winner in the League cup was also a dead ball play. We left points on the table v Everton and Newcastle from set piece defending as well. There could be more but I can't remember right now.

kipland007

TIA Youth Team
Is it bizarre that this has become a relatively standard result for us?

3 points, which makes 6 from the start of our busy or 'crucial' Christmas run-in. Obviously we'll have to be much better when we face City and Chelsea but the first half is very positive in terms of us being able to continue our style of play from Spurs. One positive is that Sterling looks to be continuing his good form, which, considering City and Chelsea's current fullback situation, may be key to getting a result against them. It would be nice to have a more reliable wide attacker against them but I'd rather put my hope on him than Moses.

Important thing is that we're still getting results and currently top in December - when was the last time that happened? (Pretty sure it was 08-09 but not 100% certain.) While there's still a long way to go, thus far we really have made the step up to playing like a top club.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Great result, even if we were a bit shaky for part of the second half.
Well chuffed with that, but we do need to sort ourselves out defending set pieces.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
yes I expect us to beat chelsea as I think we are better but city is another story.. I think they are the best squad that just got a late start because of a manager change

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Watched the game downstairs with my boy who supports Cardiff. By half time he was playing games on his tablet which says just about everything he thought about the game. He was saying their defense was rubbish till i explained to him it was our attack being amazing rather than their defense.

Once again Suarez was amazing while Hendo and Sterling had very good games. I'm one of the few that didn't see much in Allen this game it seems and it's not because i thought he played bad, he just didn't seem very noticeable to me. Glen at RB was for the second game running our worst player while the channel i watched the game on showed replay after replay of Skrtel holding jerseys and apparently trying to strangle one of their players. How he gets away with it is shocking and he really needs to calm down with it.

I wouldn't be against seeing Toure for the next 2 games and i really wish we had someone to take Glens place for this game. Other than that same team as today. As others have mentioned the second half was a case of resting up for the next two important games so i'm not overly worried. I do still worry about Migs distribution when under pressure as well though and once in a while i'd be very understanding if he'd just lump it up field.

All in all a good game to watch and top of the league just before Xmas is more than anyone expected before the season started. I would have loved to have seen that thread we had open last year about where people think we'd finish (only set for Xmas time instead), i'd love to see how many would have put us where we are today. More importantly we are where we deserve to be, nobody can say we dived for a win or used hands to score the goal etc, we deserve to be top.

PS Suarez can be the difference for us this year easily but i have to say it's not surprising that even without him we had DS scoring well. At some point we have to consider that even though he is magical the rest of the team must be playing a big part when our strikers are 1st and 3rd while both have missed at least 5 games each.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
steveee said:
it seems like conceding on set pieces is the ONLy way to beat us.... I actually can live with that at that moment...
Yeah, same here. Something usually has to give when you're building a team, and if set pieces is our weakness for now then so be it. I'd rather see us focusing on being a boss footballing team than a boss set piece team. Maybe it's because we don't have a very tall and physical team, I don't know. We basically have two defenders who are good at dealing with them, and one of them remained one the bench today.

Very few teams manage to play through us centrally though, which suggests our defensive structure is very good (which it also is, by the way).

baxter

TIA Youth Team
We did enough in the first half and noticeably dropped off in the second. The result was never really in doubt.

We won't play amazing every minute of every game. It was a comfortable win today.

I reckon the lads will have a lot left in their tanks for the big game on boxing day.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Dane said:
Correct.

Agger is the club vice captain.
Would you "not like" Suarez handing the armband to Gerrard as well?
There was only about 15mins left or something - I'd have let Suarez see the game out.

Urban Achiever

Fantastic result!! We're doin' really well this season.... fingers crossed.

Johnson and Sterling.... hmmmmm... they lose possesion in dangerous areas and miss huge chances alone with the keeper.
Could've / Should've been 6-0 at half time. We hit the bar twice on top of that.

Not a poor second half... only compared to how we "normally" dominate. They had 10 kinda-good minutes and apart from that, the only thing that made the game cool off a bit, was us only owning 85% of the game instead of 95%.
We were by far the best team and on a better day we could have won 10-3.

My only real concern/anger is with the marking on their goal. How th f*ck can 11 top pro EpL players not see that Sakho cannot be left alone at the back post with 2 men to mark??? It's absolutely insane and I was flabbergasted BEFORE they even took it. Anyone could see that it would go wrong... it's just absurd. The really crazy thing is that it wasn't even taken quickly, but instead they had plenty of time to adjust and talk about holdning the line....? I'm completely lost to how that can happen.
"Takin' the foot off the pedal"- blah blah blah... that's unforgivable. At U-8 level that would be acceptable because they have to learn from their major fuck-ups but to see that at this level is remarkable.

Absolutely no need to give Cardiff the slightest feeling of a comeback... which we did... not by their brilliance, but by a totally bizar error at this level. I'm not at all complaining... I'm just scared that things like that will cost this brilliant team a unique opportunity unless it's adressed. It's not to put anyone down, 'cos I wouldn't know who's responsibillity it is... but it just cannot happen.

Joe Allens pressure on their play out from defence!?... holy sh*t that kid put in a shift today.
I know he's not perfect but he just did an outstanding job for us today and put so much stress into Cardiffs game that you have to salute him. Suarez..? Best player with Ronaldo at the moment in world football.... no less!

Get some signings in and lets achieve our goals !

PS: Have anyone noticed that we've been playing absolutely FANTASTIC football since we lost at Hull? Not only the results but also the way we play?

yiannos33

Believe
Well deserved win today. It could of been 6-0 at first half. I'll be happy with 3 points in the next 2 games.
Well done boys!

Urban Achiever

BTW: Why would we go out and invest in another fullback when Flanno is playing like this?
Looks to me like that kid just saved us some money we could spend in other parts of the team. He's doin better than anything we could wish for in a realistic signing!

Bobbinho

Like most people i was delighted with the first half & disappointed with the second, seems like defending set pieces are our achilles heel, not surprising anymore though....., always sneaks in at some point threatening to take the sheen off the many positives on display, overall happy that we did not slip up, took the game to Cardiff & all but wrapped it up, becoming more & more frustrated with Johnson & Skrtel, we will definitely get undone against a bettter side with those 2 playing, its going to be hard enough against City without gifting them any freebies...

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Good game and it was another encouraging display but I'm already thinking of Man City and Chelsea which will really test our top 4 ambitions. Win those and we will be in pretty good shape going into the rest of the season.

Verbal80

The second half of the game wasn't a stroll in the park, but we were comfortable really, other than a couple of moments of pressure, one which they scored from. They never really looked like catching us.

I thought it was a good home win and we need to remember that it's easy to get spoilt and believe we're owed results and performances to equal the spuds game.

I said before the game I'd take a shaky 1-0 as long as the points are in the bag, so I'm more then pleased with the result and performance.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Urban Achiever said:
BTW: Why would we go out and invest in another fullback when Flanno is playing like this?
Looks to me like that kid just saved us some money we could spend in other parts of the team. He's doin better than anything we could wish for in a realistic signing!
Personally i am thinking the same.... i think it might be a signing that can wait til the summer, and even then if Flanno continues I see why he can't be part of Brendan's future plans.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
3 points, table topping.... Now let's worry about Man City next. They seemed to have found their feet of late. Second half was a bit of a mess for us, and we still can't defend set piece and crosses. We need to fix that fucking problem Swiftly....

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Seriously...are we really that upset with the game?

Last 4 matches = 17 GF, 2 GA. When you push forward and are attacking that hard you will let in a few. But +15 in 4 games is nothing to complain about.

Citeh conceded 2 today with a Kompany own goal. Would you not want him on your side?

Yes, it was gash marking leaving Mutch alone at far post.

EDIT: BR may have pulled back on the reins a bit out of respect to Mackay. Running up the score will not help him keep his job

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
Great first half expected second to be diffrent wasnt wrong.
Hendo was superb his passes and touches were outstanding the chip into the box for Suarez volley was top class and the pass outside of the foot was Gerrard like .
Sterling is starting to show his class
Suarez enough said the guy is on a freaking diffrent planet.

Coutinho is a wee genuis is going to be the key for us in the city game
Skytel needs to stop the tugging and grabbing in the box at set pieces he is going to pay for it soon and cost us points.
We will defo need to take our chances against City we had a few one on one chances. the amount of chances we created today was great.