• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 3 Cardiff 1

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
We got the win we needed and hopefully they mistakes made will prevent the lads getting overconfident. We're still not the finished article, but we're progressing nicely and are top of the league for the moment. Let's just enjoy that and head into our next two games without any pressure to get a result. Any points from those two games will be a bonus for me.

JustHitMyHead said:
Good game and it was another encouraging display but I'm already thinking of Man City and Chelsea which will really test our top 4 ambitions. Win those and we will be in pretty good shape going into the rest of the season.
The Cardiff and Spurs games were the real test for our top 4 ambitions in my opinion. Getting a result at Chelsea and/or City will give a real statement to our title ambitions. Personally I believe that's beyond us and I'm okay with that. We're progressing well this season and that's what counts.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Urban Achiever said:
BTW: Why would we go out and invest in another fullback when Flanno is playing like this?
Looks to me like that kid just saved us some money we could spend in other parts of the team. He's doin better than anything we could wish for in a realistic signing!
I was just thinking today that if we had spent 10M on a fullback and they put in performances like Flanno has done we would be purring about it.
Great first half today, eased up in the second for several understandable reasons. Set piece defending and taking our foot off the gas should not be the one and the same though........something is just not right there. Skrtel is going to cost a game soon by giving away a stupid penalty. He has been lucky to get away with shirt pulling and the like recently and it's going to come back to bite him in the ass I fear. Allen and Henderson were good again today and starting to show their mettle and playing abity too.
Luis........nothing needs to be said really. MOM today again by a mile.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Three points taking us to the top of the table - this is what I wanted before kick off - so right now I'm happy.

On Mascot's comment re. Suarez handing the arm band over to Agger. In my opinion that was the right thing for him to do. Suarez is showing respect of the hierarchy at the club. He also stated in his post match interview that in his opinion there's only one captain (Stevie) and that the most important thing is the team working together regardless of who's captain.

On the performance itself - fantastic first half, and not so good second. We let Cardiff take a foothold in the game. However at no point did I think we were at risk of conceding two more.

I was disappointed by Johnson's performance again. He's just not playing as well as he can. Generally in the second half it felt as if the players stopped playing together as much. Not sure if that was due to them thinking about Man City and only some of them working hard when others weren't.

I'm concerned about the amount of shirt pulling and man handling Skrtel's doing in the box. It will eventually result in him giving away a penalty.

Suarez excellent again, Henderson and Sterling played well too.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Semmy said:
EDIT: BR may have pulled back on the reins a bit out of respect to Mackay. Running up the score will not help him keep his job
I hope he didn't and can't believe that he did. At the end of the season goal difference might cost us a place in the top 4, maybe the title or even BR's own job.

No room for sentiment at this level. I think to suggest that we pulled up in the second half out of respect to BR's mate does BR a disservice. Think he's a bit more professional than that.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Billy Biskix said:
I hope he didn't and can't believe that he did. At the end of the season goal difference might cost us a place in the top 4, maybe the title or even BR's own job.

No room for sentiment at this level. I think to suggest that we pulled up in the second half out of respect to BR's mate does BR a disservice. Think he's a bit more professional than that.
I think Rodgers made changes for long-term benefit (Kelly on) that had that effect, but I doubt either Rodgers or Mackay expect Mackay to remain in that job anyway.

Redragbull

Great first half and the second half was pretty much as i expected being 3-0 up. Well done boys, top of the league. Next one we will see some fireworks me thinks!

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Fair enough. Game started 4:30am local time here, I only caught last 30 and looked like they had taken the foot off the pedal. Going to record the replay and watch it

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I wish we were 6th at Christmas so I could have a really good moan about poor performances and a lack of passion in the second half. I hate being top of the league the week before Christmas after a really easy win.

Sometimes I just despair.

Seriously, if you're not on cloud 9 and / or drunk after today, there's something medically wrong with you.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
ptt said:
I wish we were 6th at Christmas so I could have a really good moan about poor performances and a lack of passion in the second half. I hate being top of the league the week before Christmas after a really easy win.

Seriously, if you're not on cloud 9 and / or drunk after today, there's something medically wrong with you.
hung over from last night count?

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Semmy said:
hung over from last night count?
No, listened to every second driving on a long journey today. Looking forward to MOTD. I don't really care how we played. The oldest adage in football? The table doesn't lie.

Toro

Florida Red
Frankly, at the start of last weekend, I would have been happy with 4 points over these 4 games. Now we have 6 from 2 games. And if we can get a draw in one, I still think that's a great haul.

However, even if we lose both, and we fall 5 points behind Man City by year end, we are still in pretty good shape. If you look at the rest of the top 8 - Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Newcastle, Man United and Tottenham - we will have played all of those teams away from home with the exception of Man U. All but Man U will have to come to Anfield in the new year. That's a good position to be in.

Riddler

Great first half, brilliant to watch and 3 fantastic goals!

Not the first time our performance has dropped in the 2nd half though, not quite sure what that's all about but been going on most of the season. Can't complain too much though if we're out of sight by the end of the first half like many other times already this season.
Top at Christmas would be nice to see - we've made so much progress this season....in fact this calender year, as Rodgers often points out.

Said it before several times here and with mates, it's just so great to watch a Liverpool team play attractive skillful, passing football. The players really look like they enjoy playing for this team and manager, although our last few managers have had success and we had some amazing games (Champions league nights spring to mind) - we never really played with as much style as I think a Liverpool team should.

Always been a fan and would support them no matter what - but I haven't felt this excited about the team for years.
Great stuff :)

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Great Result, Top of the table. We need to practice some defending before our next, season defining 2 away games.
well done to all of the players and manager.
:D :D :D

YNWAGerrard

Dane said:
Correct.

Agger is the club vice captain.
Would you "not like" Suarez handing the armband to Gerrard as well?
I think Suarez handed it to him instead of Agger taking it off. Because BR talked about his humbleness and humility about him giving the armband to DAgger

**EDIT**
Sorry! I quoted the wrong post! ):

steve10

TIA New Signing
Great first half- lousy second. Great goals by Suarez and good performances from Sterling & Hendo. Wasn't impressed with Allen and not sure why Rodgers didn't replace him with Alberto in the second half. Skrtel was lucky not to concede atleast 1 penalty- will not get these decisions away from home in our favour.

YNWAGerrard

I just can't get enough of Suarez at the moment haha, just brilliant! Players which I thought played below their standards at times ar :Allen, Johnson, and Skrtel. Even with a 3-0 lead I always get nervous that we will let it slip away but thank goodness that never happened.
Hendo and sterling superb!

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
A few random thoughts.

The fact that Luis handed the captain's armband to Daniel, not only was the right thing to do because Agger is our vice-captain (even if there were just seconds left in the game). But, Luis showed his respect to Daniel and to the role/title that Daniel carries. Luis proved again that he's on the right path towards becoming a true leader of our club. Long term.

Regarding the defensive deficiencies, not only must we sort this problem, but we must prevent the opponent from having the FK to begin with. When you go through the match thread, I posted that the reason we conceded was the result of us quickly taking a free-kick by playing it short, and losing possession. That FK would have been the perfect FK to bomb into the box, across from the keeper's mark. I know that this was the spot for Stevie, no doubt. But someone else (such as Luis or Coutinho) are just as skilled and could have taken it.

We must learn how to slow down when it's time to slow down, and control the game. All in the spirit of not losing possession and giving away chances.

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
Just watching the game on demand.

That first goal was an astonishing piece of creative gameplay by the team.

Geez I think Sterling might have been offside for his goal, but what a delivery by Hendo.

And it could have been 6-0 at the half...

rab

ptt said:

We were in fact 12th on 22 points this time last season (17 games down) with a goal difference of zero. We're 14 points and 23 goals better off than last year.

Yes we shouldn't get carried away but if you aren't enjoying supporting and watching this team at the moment god only knows what's wrong with you. The fact we're 8 points clear of United instead of 20 points behind them should be reason enough to raise a smile on even the most dour of supporters faces. A 28 point swing in our favour over last seasons runaway champions for crying out loud.

Reactions: ptt

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Fucking top of the league - how good does that look eh? lol

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
LFC-Orlando said:
We must learn how to slow down when it's time to slow down, and control the game. All in the spirit of not losing possession and giving away chances.
Not sure about this. It seemed to me, in the second half, that when we gained possession with Cardiff having a lot of players in our half of the pitch we were playing the ball fast to catch them on the break but when they had a lot of players in their own half we were playing it slow to keep possession. Sounds about right to me. I think the only problem was the players had already won the game at half time so were playing at less than 100% whilst the opposite could be said for Cardiff.

Cardiff Steve

Cardiff fan here, just popped in to say a massive thank you to Liverpool fans for the support they gave us today regarding our problems with Vincent Tan..
Awesome supporters, good to see you back on top.
When i started following football many years ago, it was Liverpool that ruled the roost, WELCOME BACK, you`ll win the league this year, of that i am certain..
I can`t believe this VT, its taken us 50 odd years to get to the top flight, and he pulls stunts like this, he hasn`t got a clue about football, in fact, He told our captain today, that if we won the toss, to bat first...lol

Good luck for the rest of the season..

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Lovely to see us top of the Premiership at Christmas. :D

A magnificent first half exhibition of football. The sheer speed of our passing interplay was quite astonishing to watch at times. Luis unplayable once more and Hendo playing like we all hoped he would do when he first arrived here. Although Raheem looked definitely offside for his goal, LS's unselfishness deserved positive reward. Shame about M. Mignolet's clean sheet, but these things happen when you get defending FKs training so badly wrong, continually. :rolleyes:

Now let's see us counter attack the big boys to death in our next couple of games....

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Cardiff Steve said:
Cardiff fan here, just popped in to say a massive thank you to Liverpool fans for the support they gave us today regarding our problems with Vincent Tan..
Awesome supporters, good to see you back on top.
When i started following football many years ago, it was Liverpool that ruled the roost, WELCOME BACK, you`ll win the league this year, of that i am certain..
I can`t believe this VT, its taken us 50 odd years to get to the top flight, and he pulls stunts like this, he hasn`t got a clue about football, in fact, He told our captain today, that if we won the toss, to bat first...lol

Good luck for the rest of the season..
right back at you CardiffSteve. Hope VT gets his priorities straight. Best of the holidays to you and yours.

YNWA

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
EdWood said:
Now let's see us counter attack the big boys to death in our next couple of games....
Big boys my fucking arse.
Both poxy small time clubs with next to no history who just happened to win the lottery

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
does any body know when was the last season we were top of the league late december ?

zooz

TIA Youth Team
This's where we were standing last season after 17 games:

What a huge difference that is!!