• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 3 Cardiff 1

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
jimbo, on 21 Dec 2013 - 2.46 PM said:

Just out Xmas shopping with the mrs (nightmare)
Can you guys fill me in...

JImbo, have you not heard of:

(1) the interweb
Oh no, too late for delivery on Wednesday

(2) delegation - get your kids to do it
AKA free child labour.
Just make sure that Social Services don't find out, in case your kids don't like their pressies.

(3) make your kids do without.
They have to find out sooner or late that Santa Claus is a figment of Corporate America's imagination.

pagasp

ShadesOfRed said:
I think it was under Rafa '08.
I think we were top at christmas 2009.

It would be great to be christmas number one this year again..

#ProperPresent :)

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
3 points.
Top of the league.
We've scored more goals at this stage than any of our great sides managed to do.

Hopefully, City v Arsenal produces lots of injuries and red cards and draw.

Skirtel needs to understand that pulling an opponent's shirt in our area could land us in a deep pile of poo.
If Rafa wants one of our defenders, then he can go.
His performances of late have been unacceptable, despite our form.

Another weak link is Joe Allen.
How I curse the day that your parents decided not to / forgot to use contraception.
You have been pish since you came her - and that miss v Everton is hard to take.

Let's spank City and the Rent Boys (oohh er misses) next week, and we're laughing.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
BhupendraS said:
3 points.
Top of the league.
We've scored more goals at this stage than any of our great sides managed to do.

Skirtel needs to understand that pulling an opponent's shirt in our area could land us in a deep pile of poo.

How I curse the day that your parents decided not to / forgot to use contraception.
You have been pish since you came her - and that miss v Everton is hard to take.

Let's spank City and the Rent Boys (oohh er misses) next week, and we're laughing.
Skrtel could have been called for 2-3 PK. Flirting with disaster.

Harsh on Allen. Hope you are taking the piss, a little thin on options in the CM dept, feel he is doing a good job in there and brings a work rate dimension to the middle that SG/Lucas combination does not.

Urban Achiever

BhupendraS said:
3 points.
Top of the league.

WOW :eek:
The guy leaves his heart on the field every match.... and actually plays some serious possesion football. That's just unfair, man.

Even if he didn't, that's way over the line.
You sound like you're talking about Alex Ferguson or Evra..... not one of our own players :)

Libero

Arminius said:
That seemed to be purely to get Kelly some playing time. Exactly what I want to see, using substitutions when we are solidly ahead to develop the long-term strength in the squad. Same with Agger. One or two injuries, and we may need those guys to be sharp.
LFC-Orlando said:
Unbelievable how Jon's exit brought this upon us...
Great first half, great win. Cruised it in the 2nd although some credit to Cardiff as they put us under some pressure in the 2nd half. Good to see us stay calm and not buckle under the pressure.
I was impressed with that.

Onto the substitution of flanno for Kelly. Thought it was quite interesting for me and maybe a bit of test from Rodgers to Kelly. He takes off young flanno to a standing ovation and puts in Kelly which to me we saying lets see what you have got. For me he is down the pecking order and has been prone to the odd injury so maybe just a bit of test from Rodgers to see where Kelly is at.

Libero

LFC-Orlando said:
We must learn how to slow down when it's time to slow down, and control the game. All in the spirit of not losing possession and giving away chances.
I thought we did that quite well actually

Arminius

FSG PR plant
BhupendraS said:
3 points.
Top of the league.

Maybe you should re-watch the Spurs game, and focus just on Allen.

Claymenza

I think joe allen is more efficient in the first and second third of the pitch. He misplaced a few passes in the final third but his partnership with lucas/Henderson is working well to keep things ticking.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
TBH with his workrate and passing, based on last 2 games I rate Allen higher than Lucas. Did a very good job replacing Lucas when he missed that game a few weeks back.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
shachart said:
does any body know when was the last season we were top of the league late december ?
During the season 08-09. We were leading the league with 39 points after 17 games.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Sterling, Coutinho, Suarez and Hendo are superb. Only one thing, Sterling needs to work on his 1 v 1 against the keeper. I feel like he's been in alone 3 times in the past two games and taken a heavy touch to squander his chance. He uses his speed well to get in behind the defense though.

Claymenza

Well said. I'm a bit concerned too that sterling's touch is a bit heavy when he already got beyond his marker and just needs a cool head to nick the ball past the keeper. It will come in time but Rodgers needs to coach him somehow.

I'd like to see coutinho get into those scoring positions too.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Claymenza said:
Well said. I'm a bit concerned too that sterling's touch is a bit heavy when he already got beyond his marker and just needs a cool head to nick the ball past the keeper. It will come in time but Rodgers needs to coach him somehow.

I'd like to see coutinho get into those scoring positions too.
I'm fine with Coutinho's ability to hang off the play and make the precise passes to open space. Seems last few weeks the oppo has been doubling-up on covering Phil which has opened space for the CM's.

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
BhupendraS said:
3 points.
Top of the league.

Totally agree with the Skrtel situation on set pieces even the pundits and commentators kept picking on it so refs are going to be watching from now on in. would hate to think we lose 1 or 2 games through pens for his stupidity and dont get cl place for it.

Walter Sobchak

zooz said:
This's where we were standing last season after 17 games:

What a huge difference that is!!
Thanks for that post Zooz. Baffling really! We've scored 19 goals more! Didn't Brendan ask for 20 over the full season? Easy peasy!

Claymenza

It's bizarre how united performs worse than last season with the same squad!

A propos coutinho, he doesn't seem to make any runs beyond the defense while he likes to thread the passes in or dribble the ball to the 20 yard mark before shooting.

If you try too hard to score it creates more tension. Just relax a bit.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Enjoyed the first half after a somewhat slow start, but when the first goal went in we clicked through the gears nicely. Suarez is a joy to behold! Wonderful first strike, and the second was even better!

Sterling was very impressive but needs to sort out his heavy touch.
Henderson was excellent again.

Skirtel needs to stop trying to undress the player he's marking - time and place Martin! But seriously, it'll result in a penalty at this rate!

Credit to Cardiff for upping their game second half and making us have a few anxious moments, they provided us with a decent workout! But one worry is our defense - and it needs sorting before we play Man City.

So, top of the table! Very nice indeed!

Bluboots

King of Sardinia
Really good first half and great win. Totally dominated them first half, could have been 5 up before the break, but not too concerned about the second half as the team clearly took the gas off. We look a bit dodgy on set pieces, but it's not a huge concern at the moment. Only concern for me is Skrtle, he honestly was lucky not to be called for a pen or two, just makes me very nervous with all his grappling in the box.

But anyway, top of the table for now; so hopefully Arsenal and Chelsea draw.

Pressure is off us now, so we can go to Etihad relaxed and confident. Pressure is all on City.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
Henderson - r u Gerrard in disguise?

An entertaining first half that showcases our attacking confidence and completely bereft Cardiff off the ball. Once again it was Suarez who produced the moves for the first, unselfishly assisit for the second for Sterling and what a beauty of a third as another attacking move made possible by the magic touch/pass of Henderson. Cardiff was clearly out of their depth in that half.

Kudos to MacKay to rally his team in which might be his last time in charge. He made two changes which could have forced BR to take off Flanagan and revert Johnson to LB. In any case the Blues found their footing and made a goal for themselves to keep the match alive.

Top of the league, with the big two matches to determine where we will be in the first half of the season. Exciting times.

ubermick

He's gone! HE'S GONE!!!!
Admin
19 goals. In 12 games. Fuck me.

Couldn't ask for more in the first half, but a disappointing second. Definitely think that one eye was in City when they took the pitch in the second half, as was evidenced by a break for Coutinho (he needs a goal, doesn't he?) and Flanno. Credit to Cardiff for coming out and fighting like that for Malky, and have to admit there was a wee bit of squeaky bum time there after the goal. Wonder if Rodgers asked we not demolish his mate's team, given the circumstances?

Aside from us taking the foot off the pedal in the second half, was disappointed again with Johnson - he just looks like he can't be arsed and is going through the motions. Perhaps that's unfair, but when compared to the gutbusting effort by Suarez, Hendo, and the others, certainly looked like he was halfarsing it.

And fuck me, we were bloody lucky the ref wasn't paying attention to Skrtel. Repeatedly. Between his love of grabbing shirts and holding onto attackers, as well as his penchant for own goals, could well be a very weak point in the City match.

Still, comfortable win in the end, three more points, job done. And can't argue with the league position. Ride the high over Christmas, and carry this momentum to the Etihad.

soberphobia

Home game lower club job done at half time. Slowed up second half to rest up a bit. Move along.

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
One other stat to savour.

We just won our 11th game of this season.

It took us until 2nd March last season to win as many.

Reactions: ptt
Joe90 said:
Just watching the game on demand.

That first goal was an astonishing piece of creative gameplay by the team.

Geez I think Sterling might have been offside for his goal, but what a delivery by Hendo.

And it could have been 6-0 at the half...
Sterling wasn't offside. I was worried about it initially but if you see the replay when Suarez plays the ball Sterling is level with him. But he does need to be more aware of his surroundings though as there was no need for him to sprint along at that pace and risk being offside for such an easy chance. He has done it a couple of times before where he is too careless and gets ahead of everyone to go offside. Hopefully that will come with experience!

Also all the goals here:
http://goal.lfc.vn/s14-w17-goals-liverpool-cardiff/

grooveshark

Banned Users
This stretch of games has been the best this season. When Gerrard and Sturridge eventually return, it would be nice to see them earn their positions back. Current group bar Johnson need to keep their positions based on merit.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Yeah BT analysed it with there technology it was close but at the point of passing he is just onside needs to be more aware mind, have to say it showed the difference in Suarez, a year ago he is going alone, also on his first when he runs over to Henderson and is pointing and smiling effectively saying you did that thank you.

When your best player and arguably the worlds best player at this moment becomes a team player then it changes the dimesions completely, this is a new suarez in my view.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I can only say it has been a joy watching Liverpool this season most of the times especially in the last few games. We are moving with confidence, we are making solid runs, we are making ridiculous passes and all these with players that are not deemed as quality enough. Not going to say we will dominate everyone now. The next 2 matches will probably temper some expectations and even in the worst case scenario that we lose both, we must put up a good performance and then look forward to 1 or 2 additions in January and let the course run. Our target as of now must still be just CL football end of the season to prevent a loss of morale and frustration when we lose a game of two on the run.

gb1986

Mascot88 said:
As far as I can see mate a lot of the responses are the "good result, but...." type.

I have a problem with anyone basing their opinions on a poor second half, when it as as clear as day the team just jogged out the second half. That's just being professional.
Nothing wrong with looking for ways to improve, i hope the manager is doing that after every win as well as loss, that's being professional.

Think you're doing a bit of a discredit to Cardiff in the second half too.

The only issue i really had was with the defending of the set piece, that is definitely something that needs sorting out, whatever time of year it is, whatever position we're in. I'm over the moon we're top at Christmas, unfortunately there's still half of the league to go. Bit harsh calling everyone miserable fucks for wanting to see the team win the marathon not the sprint.

Anyway like i say, dead happy about the win and our current position and hopefully Arsenal and Chelsea play out a draw on monday.

I watched the game at work and literally jumped up screaming when the first goal went in in front of a shop full of customers, that's me not being professional haha.