Post match: Liverpool 3 Palace 1

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
3pts, top of the league.

Let the inquest begin...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Deserved victory against a team lacking quality to really punish us for our weaknesses.

Again a very good first half, followed by a so-so second half. But the most important stat is there: 3-1, and three points more in the tally. Onwards and upwards!

:cheers:

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Mascot88 said:
3pts, top of the league.

Let the inquest begin...
Missed the match today annoyingly. You make it sound like a poor performance?

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Happy days, but yet another lacklustre second half, it's baffling, thought it was a great opportunity to boost our goal difference, but,

BUT

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE, remember that all you moaners.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
shockingly inept 2nd half! totally uninspiring. Hendo was my MOTM, but to be honest I lost interest in the second half. Sterling was awful.

3pts.
a win.
top of the table.

eases the pain of that second half, but what is it about the second half blues..........

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
First half the match was basically won then

Second half instantly forgettable

Our set pieces still are not being fixed. Will be exploited by better sides

Forward line though looks as good as its been in some time however

Mentally lazy at times. Need to keep going for a full 90 if we want to stay near enough where we are but we weren't overly tested. Holloway likes to play attractive attacking football but when your CF is chamcrap you are kind of clutching at straws. A bosman Wenger saved us from he was

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
Overall, a good performance. Henderson excellent. Thought Sterling was poor.

104TOSH said:
shockingly inept 2nd half! totally uninspiring. Hendo was my MOTM, but to be honest I lost interest in the second half. Sterling was awful.

3pts.
a win.
top of the table.

eases the pain of that second half, but what is it about the second half blues..........
No one was awful- including Sterling. Most players had good games and a couple were average.

Claymenza

Toure did well as a centre back and right back whenever sterling was away. Not sure if Enrique had anything to do defensively at left back.

This was a 3-5-2 formation with crystal palace showing no real threat on the wings.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
These are the games we should be dominating, so it was great to see exactly that during the first half.

While we can understand letting off the gas during the second half because we made the first look so easy, we will need to develop the killer mentality to close out a match so we don't have any of these "sure things" slip to a draw late in the game.

However, 3 points and top of the table is something in which we can be justifiably pleased.

kopite1982

rupzzz said:
Poor aint the word. This system doesn't work, yes we have beaten palace and sunderland using it but it simply doesn't work. Our midfield was non existent. The space palace found was frightening, and that's palace at home.We need to go back to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 soon as jonson and coutinhio comes back.

Sterling was awful, has been since he signed a new mega money contract.

lovepool

Great result and great start to the season

We do need Johnson and Coutinho back in the team though. If we have Johnson on the right and Coutinho AM we have a strong first eleven.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
A must win, won. And in spectacular fashion. Yes we was on cruise control in second half, and yes we could have rested some of the old ones ahead of the international break thats coming up around the corner. (Stevie, kolo) But all in all a great game for me. 3 points is what matters and we got it comfortable :)

R

RedRiot

Done before 20 minutes. Should have used this as a chance to increase goal differential but we came out jaded in the 2nd and lax in possession at times. Good win, top of the league, but you would have expected that result at minimum against what is essentially a Championship side.

Luis was Man of the first half, but I'd give MOTM to either Sakho or Henderson. Thought Henderson demonstrated why he belongs in the middle, although as long as we're missing GJ, he'll be out at RWB as Sterling didn't impress. Same with Moses, I thought Alberto looked a lot more natural there.

Enrique might as well get a snack during defensive set pieces, he'd be just as useful.

Top of the league though until tomorrow at least, sterner tests ahead but we did what we needed to do and we did it early. Well done, lads.

LiVeRp0oL89

I'm happy we're at the top but there really is some big problems with this team, in terms of mentality and player quality.

We've got to start turning up for second halves and the sooner, Coutinho, Johnson and Cissokho come in and we revert back to a familiar system, the better. I'd genuinely fear playing this system against the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham away..

Hope we go for an all round quality midfielder in January.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Good first half. We dropped off a little bit in the second half, but that's a typical reaction when you've scored a few goals in the first half.

Three points, back on top. Good stuff.

Really happy to pick up the 3 points- especially as there is now a big wait till our next game against Newcastle. The good news out of that being that it gives more time for the likes of Johnson, Allen and Cissokho to recover.

Really hard to pick a MOTM as I thought most players had good games but without anyone putting in a really outstanding performance. Overall, I think Hendo was the most consistent performer throughout both halves so my MOTM goes to him. I think against low -mid table teams at home I prefer a CM partnership of Gerrard + Henderson.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
liverpool_singh said:
No one was awful- including Sterling. Most players had good games and a couple were average.
Hmmm, No. The Sterling experience more than flopped and we were lucky we were not playing against any other team.

Really happy with the outcome and I don't care about much else. Only worrying sign again is the way we come out of that dressing room after HT. Brendan says he's not changing tactics and it's in the brains, their psychology or whatever. Well, this is worrying as the manager is supposed to be their great motivator. Brendan may want to start to accept that he needs help there as the drive and the great resolve is nobody else's job .

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
rupzzz said:
Depends whether you watched the match, or just follow the threads here.

We we're fine. Put Palace away in the first half, and went through the motions in the second - always had the sense that had palace seriously threatened we could have taken it back up a couple of gears.

Suarez MOTD.

steve10

TIA New Signing
3 points which was important but we did make hard work of it at times. Offensively we were excellent in the first half but Suarez & Sturridge are not 100% match fit and hence the poor second half performance. Sterling is not the answer at RWB.

LFC-Orlando said:
Hmmm, No. The Sterling experience more than flopped and we were lucky we were not playing against any other team.
Personally think people are just to make him a scapegoat today. He did well playing in an unfamiliar role. Tracked back, put in some decent crosses and played a few nice through balls. He may not have been fantastic but he was certainly no where near being awful.

Union4LFC

-Sturridge and Suarez are lethal. Anyone down on this performance are getting greedy. Could have easily been 4-1, 5-1.

-Henderson could develop into one of the better English midfielders. I've never been sold on him as a game changing player, but just a solid overall force that can play pretty much anywhere on the pitch outside of striker. (not that I want to see him anywhere except CM and RB/LW :) )

- Sakho is going to be a force in the league. Playing the 3-4-1-2 is brilliant not because it will always work (a team like Arsenal, Chelsea, MC might shred that lineup to pieces), but because it is making the best use of our current players. It allows for a solid CB rotation and it makes great use of what Sterling and Enrique do best.

-That said - Enrique's final ball is horrible. His decision making is obviously ridiculous too, but his final ball has been lacking. Excited for Cissokho to get minutes.

-Alberto needs minutes. He really had a chance to impress this afternoon and came up short. He moves very slow for the league. Brilliant touch and vision, but always feels a second behind the play. Wasn't closing down well at all either. I know we sent out Suso bc he needed minutes/experience, but starting to think that Suso is the better player by a decent margin. That wasn't clear from the get go.

-If BR sticks with this formation, will be interesting to see what happens when Coutinho comes back. He does what Moses does well (working well in tight spaces, beating his man 1 v 1 w/ super fast feet), but he also does what Moses DOESNT do well, which is open up a defense with clever passing. That said, Moses has been great playing behind Sturridge and Suarez.

-Come January, will be really interesting what the club pursue. Only 12 weeks away until the window opens. The squad still needs goals, and another legitimate threat on the wing would be terrific. But starting to think that depth at RB/LB is important as well. I also think that a legitimate holding midfielder would be huge, but I can't imagine the club spending money on that with Henderson/Allen available to back up Lucas/Gerrard. Should be interesting.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Johnson will be a beast in this formation once he come back, sterling just not fit into it, a shame since he's a great talent. Think also hendo did great next to stevie, looked more solid than Lucas-Stevie, but it was a poor opponent we meet, but the signs were there.

Alberto dissapointed me, just can't see where he will fit in sadly. Maybe I'm being harsh.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Story of the season ... we're getting away with bad second half performances but if we keep picking up points like we have been I'll be happy.

Its just a shame and worry that we keep taking our foot off the gas. Incredible that this is still going on after 7 games. But whatever disappointment that brings is outdone by the sight of that league table up above :)

shootscore

Good composure, one well taken penalty, two very good goals in free play, and three excellent points.
Reasons to be cheerful - 1,2,3.

slufsar

Even in the first half I thought our midfield was completely AWOL. Crystal Palace often ran straight through it and we were lucky not to concede a few times. Thats a worry for me, but its a natural consequence of playing with only 2 midfielders.

We were abysmal in the 2nd half, but it looked like that was sort of planned. Palace didnt look ärsed either. I'm not worried about it, because we didnt really HAVE to turn up (not saying we still shouldnt), But I'll be worried if this is something that continues to happen against stronger opposition.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Mascot88 said:
Depends whether you watched the match, or just follow the threads here.

We we're fine. Put Palace away in the first half, and went through the motions in the second - always had the sense that had palace seriously threatened we could have taken it back up a couple of gears.

Suarez MOTD.
I didn't follow it at all today. Only checked the score at HT and at 3-0 was happy enough.