• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 3 Palace 1

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
I agree with other posters, it was a great first half with 3 great goals to keep us comfortable. The second half, we were awful, I just zoned out it was so boring, I started browsing the corning dinnerware sets at kitchenworld every now and then. Raheem should have been substituted earlier on, it was obvious he was not playing well, perhaps in the wrong position. I also think Gerrard and Sturridge should have been rested in the second half to prevent potential injury and they also need some energy for national duty. There is still an element of complacency in our squad mentality and our defence and some elements of our midfield is still abit shaky as we played a much weaker team but I would like to see how we fair against the likes of much stronger teams Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City.

Anyhow, I will stop complaining and say well done boys, 3 points needed and won, just keep it up and play as if you mean it.

YNWAGerrard

We're winning games where we play poor in the second half :)
Just shows how good we can be potentially if we do fix our problems.
Anyways 3 pts, top of the league, keep 'em coming!

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I hate it when people are thrown into the moaner or wildly optimistic camps. I think looking at things critically is never bad.

So without being a moaner, is no one else concerned with the quality of second half performances this season? good teams will punish that.

theres always tommorrow

Hope is in my heart again
Top of the league feels about right for this league at the moment. Lots of teams slipping up but it won't last. The opposition will get tougher as the season develops.

We played really well for about 35 minutes in the first half but came out in the second half with an "attitude" that shouted "we have already won...save your energy" Silly goal conceded but always on the cards. It's becoming a trend

I worry about playing teams like Arsenal. They have a much better midfield than ours and quite frankly will take us apart if we carry on like this.

Drubas

Sterling just played the worst game I've seen a Liverpool player play in about a year. Completely clueless how to position himself to be able to screen people to the side. He just took a deep stance and stood there, like someone who has never played football. He pressed when he should have fallen, he was passive when he should have pressed. His passing was terrible, his turnover rate was aweful and I don't think he had one good ball into the box.

Henderson showed us we don't have to pee our pants as soon as Leiva is away. We finally have someone who can fill his shoes. What is good with Henderson is that he's much better at that first press, to gain turnovers. Also, he is someone who can contribute a bit more in the offense.

Sakoh . One word - BEAST

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Never Say Never said:
I hate it when people are thrown into the moaner or wildly optimistic camps. I think looking at things critically is never bad.

So without being a moaner, is no one else concerned with the quality of second half performances this season? good teams will punish that.
I am definitely concerned when we come up against a high calibre team, I think our weaknesses will be more visibly exposed. I just don't know how it can be resolved but offensively we are ok, I think with a good understanding and partnership with Luis and Danny.

RMP

TIA First Team
Disappointed really. A match we should have won by four or five clear goals to help supplement our goal difference. Its nice being on top of the table and all but its only October and we've really got to work on our set-pieces

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Never Say Never said:

I agree, thank god we finished it off comfortable in the first half because we are always like a completely different team second half and you have to think against a decent team it lead to throwing points away, just what is happening with these second halves!?

Bobbinho

Still a bit jekyll & hyde... first half brilliant, second half, just did enough, never looked in danger of losing it or allowing Palace a strong foot in the game, midfield looked stronger more mobile, Hendo put in a cracking shift, much more suited to playing centrally, he & Gerrard look like our best partnership in there atm.

Area's of concern.....

Mainly some of the second half performances by some of our player's.........i really thought Suarez was useless second half, in complete contrast to his first half where he was excellent, didn't hold the ball up, lost possession cheaply countless times, didn't link up at all well.....compounding the problem was Enrique who after a reasonable first half, reverted back to his lazy arse passing play, him & Suarez lost possession far too many times, gifting Palace plenty of opportunities to counter....which to their credit they took, putting us under unnecessary pressure....

Moses i thought played well, linking up with Hendo & our forwards, looking a bit more solid, Sakho very solid it seemed throughout, Mignolet didn't have that much to do but was there when we needed him, no chance with the goal, Sterling was a bit of a weak link on the right for me, happy that he's getting more game time but get nervous as hell when he switches off....good at times going forward though...

Skrtel, okay overall,got caught out in the first half which would have cost us a goal against better opponents.... tbh i'd rather have Kolo in there instead playing with Sakho, just think that would be a stronger partnership, happy with the win, 3 more points & top of the league, i'll take that for now. :)

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Never Say Never said:

Perhaps better subs would have had us one more goal.

Sterling wouldn't have played against a stronger opponent, atleast not now in that system.

Alberto for Moses didn't do us any favors aswell, moses perhaps didn't play a stormer but he fit much better than Alberto. Again if we keep using this system.

When coutinho is back we will have moses on the bench as a super sub. And we also will have lucas to throw into a game if we have to defend a lead. So all in all not so bad. But I obvious could be just as wrong as right.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
When playing with the BBC's Predictor thing I had us top of the league at the end of the year, i.e. not very well overall but winning. A bit like Man Utd really. This could be an interesting season.

Herb

Wasn't a great performance imo but we were maybe missing 4/5 players who would be first choice in this system if fit/available. Put them out of the game in the first half and eased off a bit in the second, gave away another stupid set piece goal but I'm still not overly concerned about how we are playing.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
liverpool_singh said:
No one was awful- including Sterling. Most players had good games and a couple were average.
Sterling stunk, he really did! He doesn't deserve to start! His passing was woeful at times and his decision making needs a major improvement, I'd put Ibe ahead of Sterling.

Second half we impersonated a Lord Lucan X1!!! OK the match was won, but against better opposition we'd have been punished, luckily Palace were wasteful with their chances!

Good job we have Sturridge and Suarez because without them we'd be truly struggling, as it is we can enjoy being top because the gods are smiling on us!

But, YES, Sterling stunk!!!

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
104TOSH said:
Sterling stunk, he really did! He doesn't deserve to start! His passing was woeful at times and his decision making needs a major improvement, I'd put Ibe ahead of Sterling.

Second half we impersonated a Lord Lucan X1!!! OK the match was won, but against better opposition we'd have been punished, luckily Palace were wasteful with their chances!

Good job we have Sturridge and Suarez because without them we'd be truly struggling, as it is we can enjoy being top because the gods are smiling on us!

But, YES, Sterling stunk!!!
Playing a 18 year old wide forward at wing back is though not going to show him at his best. Not ideal by any means but better than playing a 4 man CB wall. At least he did provide some width

One good thing was tht Henderson did show with his pressing that we don't necessarily always need Lucas against every kind of opponent all the time. Played reasonably well. Also our defence was rather less sure of itself when Sakho went off though Toure again was tidy as the experienced man

Too many stupid little flicks and lazy passes though in the second half. Do think Rodgers needs to be a bit more proactive in badgering his players not to slacken off so much in second halves. Not sure it's being seen on the pitch from anyone bar kolo

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Ah yes, top of the table, but this place is full of miserable bastards as usual lol

Reactions: ptt

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Not sure where all this Sterling criticism is coming from. I thought he and Enrique both had average games where they showed bits of quality here and there but never consistently. At the very least Raheem did well defensively and worked hard and didn't make any real mistakes like Enrique did.

Little needs to be said about Suarez and Sturridge. Those two are truly lethal together. I thought Moses played quite well in the hole today and was very strong and direct and really should have scored.

The second half performance is obviously a worry. There was a clear lack of desire to come out and score more goals. That is disturbing to me. Top teams are ruthless. And we are not that. Especially when the top half of the table is so tight, goal difference will matter and games like this present real opportunities to try to get our goal difference up. Also, the set piece defending was again dreadful. Exactly how we conceded to United in the Capitol One Cup. Gerrard fluffs his header in the front post and both him and Enrique are completely unaware of the player making a run in from behind them. Seriously hope we don't keep making mistakes like this. That is twice now this season we've conceded a silly, silly set piece goal. You would imagine that we would have learned our mistake already after the first time.

I thought Sakho was a beast again today. Love his physicality. Kolo and Skrtel both solid as ever. Henderson bossed the midfield and made many great interceptions and tackles today. He clearly brings that energy and extra running to the midfield that we don't usually see as much from Lucas. Would love to see him considered more often in a deeper role. It is where he ultimately belongs. That said, we played against very poor opponents today.

All in all, chuffed for the 3 points. Disappointed with the lack of ruthlessness and desire in the second half. Bemused at posts here on TIA slating Sterling.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
you all remember many years, there was a team with a lethal SAS strike partnership too and won the league? :p :ph34r:

Bobbinho

RichLFC said:
Playing a 18 year old wide forward at wing back is though not going to show him at his best. Not ideal by any means but better than playing a 4 man CB wall. At least he did provide some width

One good thing was tht Henderson did show with his pressing that we don't necessarily always need Lucas against every kind of opponent all the time. Played reasonably well. Also our defence was rather less sure of itself when Sakho went off though Toure again was tidy as the experienced man

Too many stupid little flicks and lazy passes though in the second half. Do think Rodgers needs to be a bit more proactive in badgering his players not to slacken off so much in second halves. Not sure it's being seen on the pitch from anyone bar kolo
Good post, i agree esp with Sakho going off.., does seem to provide a very solid presence, looks like a proper player, Cissokho coming back will provide another option for LB which i think we need.

Not ideal that our backline isn't settled yet, but i think it will take a bit more time to establish the best partnerships, personally more concerned with certain player's slackening off in the second half..., seem to put a lot of unnecessary pressure on ourselves, though i think BR is working hard to minimize that particular trait...

abcd

Didn't see the game but from what I had seen of Palace previously they are destined for an immediate return to the championship so anything other than a comfortable victory would have been disappointing. A bit disappointing that having been 3 up before half time the team didn't kick on and score a few more goals.

A lot tougher tests ahead but after the disappointment of the Southampton performance, good to have bounced back with two wins even if they were against poor sides. Suarez and Sturridge both scoring and it won't be long hopefully before Coutinho is back.

I would feel a lot happier at the back if Daniel Agger was starting. We have yet to keep a clean sheet since the end of the transfer window. Clean sheets are the starting point for teams with ambition.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I didn't think the second half performance was that bad. It was different from the first half but we were three goals up and we also needed to tighten things up. First half was like watching two teams of schoolboys playing 'next goal wins'. No one aside from the 3 CBs seemed very interested in defending. They could have scored two or three goals but we had Suarez and Sturridge and they didn't. We just outgunned them.

Second half was duller but we were a bit more disciplined and they didn't threaten as much. Obviously we conceded another soft goal from a set-piece, but I always felt we could up the tempo again if we wanted to.

Poor Raheem is no longer flavour of the month it seems. Shame that we seem to have so little patience with our young players, especially when they are playing in an unfamiliar system with different responsibilities. He wasn't great but he'll have learnt a lot from today. If we want to him to be more than just a speed merchant we'll have to accept that he'll make mistakes as he adds different qualities to his game.

I still feel as though at some point we're going to get found out but it hasn't happened yet and I am going into these sorts of games fully expecting rather than hoping that we'll win. Not felt like that for a few years which is a sign of the progress we're making.

slufsar

I think its okay to drop off a bit when you're 3-0 up. Its not like Palace ever threatened us either. Gerrard shouldve dealt with the goal anyway. I'd be worried if we play like that being 1-0 up tho. I think getting Allen back will help sort this out. He's got staminga, the acceleration to press and most importantly he's got the ability to keep the ball in the team.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Billy Biskix said:
I didn't think the second half performance was that bad. It was different from the first half but we were three goals up and we also needed to tighten things up. First half was like watching two teams of schoolboys playing 'next goal wins'. No one aside from the 3 CBs seemed very interested in defending. They could have scored two or three goals but we had Suarez and Sturridge and they didn't. We just outgunned them.

Second half was duller but we were a bit more disciplined and they didn't threaten as much. Obviously we conceded another soft goal from a set-piece, but I always felt we could up the tempo again if we wanted to.

Poor Raheem is no longer flavour of the month it seems. Shame that we seem to have so little patience with our young players, especially when they are playing in an unfamiliar system with different responsibilities. He wasn't great but he'll have learnt a lot from today. If we want to him to be more than just a speed merchant we'll have to accept that he'll make mistakes as he adds different qualities to his game.

I still feel as though at some point we're going to get found out but it hasn't happened yet and I am going into these sorts of games fully expecting rather than hoping that we'll win. Not felt like that for a few years which is a sign of the progress we're making.
slufsar said:
I think its okay to drop off a bit when you're 3-0 up. Its not like Palace ever threatened us either. Gerrard shouldve dealt with the goal anyway. I'd be worried if we play like that being 1-0 up tho. I think getting Allen back will help sort this out. He's got staminga, the acceleration to press and most importantly he's got the ability to keep the ball in the team.
The point is, that its been a theme. It'd be one thing if this was a one off flaccid second half performance, but it's happened quite often this season

lillypad_33

TIA New Signing
Drubas said:
Sterling just played the worst game I've seen a Liverpool player play in about a year. Completely clueless how to position himself to be able to screen people to the side. He just took a deep stance and stood there, like someone who has never played football. He pressed when he should have fallen, he was passive when he should have pressed. His passing was terrible, his turnover rate was aweful and I don't think he had one good ball into the box.

Henderson showed us we don't have to pee our pants as soon as Leiva is away. We finally have someone who can fill his shoes. What is good with Henderson is that he's much better at that first press, to gain turnovers. Also, he is someone who can contribute a bit more in the offense.

Sakoh . One word - BEAST
My EXACT thoughts on the game.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Just to make people's days even better, Sunderland are leading the Mancs 1-0 and look good value for it.

"Everybody beats Sunderland" what?

sanjing07

I hope the performance to drop off in the second half was not BR's instruction. If it is, then it is disappointing.

We need to be more ruthless in games, that is for sure.

R

RedRiot

alphakilo said:
Just to make people's days even better, Sunderland are leading the Mancs 1-0 and look good value for it.

"Everybody beats Sunderland" what?
Sunderland are absolutely dominating them in fact. Puts our result in some perspective. United's defense is horrendous.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
RedRiot said:
Sunderland are absolutely dominating them in fact. Puts our result in some perspective. United's defense is horrendous.
Wouldn't say they're dominating, they're putting in a very solid defensive performance so far as well. United really lacking that cutting edge that made them seem to always win under Fergie.

Bobbinho

sanjing07 said:
I hope the performance to drop off in the second half was not BR's instruction. If it is, then it is disappointing.

We need to be more ruthless in games, that is for sure.
We didn't "drop off" though i get your point, it was basically certain player's giving away possession cheaply in the second half....sloppy passing...leading to counter attack's.....putting us under pressure..., positive thing is our midfield held its own...Henderson & Gerrard did a fine job in winning the midfield battle, but unless our forwards are holding up the ball & linking up well....we will find ourselves having to drop back, naturally, it's more of a player mentality issue than anything else, can only be solved by bringing in more competition for places....