• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 3 Palace 1

R

RedRiot

alphakilo said:
Wouldn't say they're dominating, they're putting in a very solid defensive performance so far as well. United really lacking that cutting edge that made them seem to always win under Fergie.
There was a 10 minute spell there where Sunderland were well on top, culminating in De Gea's pretty brilliant save. United have taken it back some, but Altidore is causing them a lot problems and they look really dangerous on the counter. Schadenfreude has never been this good.

artanisknarf

RMP said:
Disappointed really. A match we should have won by four or five clear goals to help supplement our goal difference. Its nice being on top of the table and all but its only October and we've really got to work on our set-pieces
Seriously,
We twat them in the first half and win the game essentially. The best you can hope for in the second half is to slow it down, and avoid injuries. That's what we did. Will be exciting when Coutihno and Johnson return. Also when Cissoko takes over from Enrique.
Very pleased today.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Never Say Never said:
The point is, that its been a theme. It'd be one thing if this was a one off flaccid second half performance, but it's happened quite often this season
Completely agree but it was a bit different today. We had already won the game by half time. It wasn't as though we were clinging on as we have in so many other games this season.

I felt we were tighter in the second half. We were so open in the first half, really sloppy and Palace gave it a right good go. I think their approach took us by surprise. They are a poor team and can't finish so we got away with it. But we can't rely on outgunning every team we play. We need to be disciplined and learn how to take the sting out of the game. I thought that's what we attempted to do second half. It wasn't great by any means but the change in approach was more understandable than it has been in other matches.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Sunderland match was last week wasn't it?

I agree with Rich and RMP. We need to keep the intensity and not fall back on the second half. We also need to start looking at our trendy conceding from set piece. We looked good in the first 45 minutes, Suarez and Sturridge scores again. And it is only October, we need to keep our heads down and work harder to not keep falling off in the second half.

Overall, happy with the goals and 3 points.

RJK

liverpool_singh said:
No one was awful- including Sterling. Most players had good games and a couple were average.
Sorry have to agree. Sterling was awful

RJK

kopite1982 said:
Poor aint the word. This system doesn't work, yes we have beaten palace and sunderland using it but it simply doesn't work. Our midfield was non existent. The space palace found was frightening, and that's palace at home.We need to go back to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 soon as jonson and coutinhio comes back.

Sterling was awful, has been since he signed a new mega money contract.
Waaaaaaay OTT. Not saying we're anywhere near the finished article, but this shit is just stupid. Yes we are fading in the 2nd half, but we murdered this team. The weak link was Sterling. Replace him & we were pretty friggin good for most of the game. Watch the game again. We weren't anywhere near as bad as you're making out

UruguayIsRed

Is a shame how Hendo isn't part of England squad, the has been in an incredible shape lately..

Today's match was a confirmation that we have one of the best forward blocks not only of the EPL also in the world... It's difficult to find two forwards that understand each other so well, like Suarez and Sturridge do, and that's a merit of Brendan Rodgers

kwala

TIA Regular
Never Say Never said:
I hate it when people are thrown into the moaner or wildly optimistic camps. I think looking at things critically is never bad.

So without being a moaner, is no one else concerned with the quality of second half performances this season? good teams will punish that.
Got shouted down for saying similar thing a few weeks ago! Perhaps not as politely!

But, it has been said often in the past it is a sign of champions when you can win not playing well, which has been a real weakness of ours over a number of years (not saying we are champions material). We normally have had to play exceptionally well to take 3 points, and even then frequently that wasn't enougth. Amazingly, we have been poor in half of every game this season, and sit top of the pile. But sooner or later we will get found out again, we need to find form and consistency, when we do, we will be a real force.

Didn't see the game today, but at ht I wondered if we would kick on and put them to the sword, alas our 2nd half slumber returned, and another goal conceded from a corner! Still much work to do, but.........we are Top of the league! That is all we can ask for now.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Sterling was poor defensively. Which i expected when I saw the lineup. BR (rightly) took the chance that Palace would lack the quality to take advantage of Sterling on that end. They did get a lot of joy down his side and pulled both Toure and Henderson out of position to cover which opened up the midfield, and eventually won the free kick that resulted in their goal from that.

However, I though Sterling was good (not great) going forward and his pace out wide really helped open up space for SAS to create chances. So basically, playing Sterling at wingback really helped keep the game open. And that worked to our advantage.

lfc.8

Great result in the end. First half good, second half could have been better. We could easily have scored a few more goals. Pleased Alberto was substituted on; but thought we should have also substituted Ilori on, for his first game.

Not sure what game time he's going to see. If anything, this was the best opportunity, being 3 - 0 up at home, against lowly Crystal Palace.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Sterling getting stick for an average performance in a position he has never played before. Thats a bit over the top. At least Brendan gave him a game there and got a look at his suitability as a wing back. Not his best position but give the kid a break. He is a great young player with serious potential but clearly is an attacking rather than a defensive player. My opinion is that he will eventually become a striker in the Michael Owen mold playing off the shoulder of the last defender giving them nightmares with his pace.

I love Sakho and Toure. Both great footballers. Sakho has a good range of passing in him as well as a big physical presence. Skrtel has hardly put a foot wrong since he came back into the side either so we have great options at the centre back now.
Kudos to Henderson who showed great energy and commitment in the middle of the park. He produced a solid performance and is a much better player than he generally gets credit for.

I don't get the posters who bleat about "moaners" whinging about the performance when we are top of the league either. Regardless of the outcome of a match you have to analyse the game. Pointing out deficiencies is as important as praising great performances or results and its not being negative either. We saw again a couple of glaringly obvious problems today with conceding yet another set piece goal with non existent marking and also yet another instance of the side leaving their game in the dressing room at half time.
Mistakes happen in football but these problems are now a well established pattern that is going to cost us going forward. Better sides with a bit more quality and organisation will punish these errors and then we will see moaning and whinging bigtime.

Yes I'm happy with the result, yes its great being top of the league, yes I would give my eye teeth to remain there BUT we have to be realistic and that means we need to eliminate the fucking schoolboy errors that have been clear in every game this season.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
T.C.B said:
Yes I'm happy with the result, yes its great being top of the league, yes I would give my eye teeth to remain there BUT we have to be realistic and that means we need to eliminate the fucking schoolboy errors that have been clear in every game this season.
It's fine to be searching for the perfect performance, but you have to bring an element of realism into it as well - errors are always going to happen. We could have been punished a few times, but then again, palace could have been on the end of a humiliation had we not missed about five really presentable chances.

To put this in context look at how Citeh's defence just went AWOL for the first goal today. That's a team packed with quality, and mistakes still happen.

Unless the aspiration is for a season of clean sheets (every goal is going to be the result of an error somewhere) mistakes, and being punished for them, is part of the game. We'll be doing the same to other teams plenty.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
It's fine to be searching for the perfect performance, but you have to bring an element of realism into it as well - errors are always going to happen. We could have been punished a few times, but then again, palace could have been on the end of a humiliation had we not missed about five really presentable chances.

To put this in context look at how Citeh's defence just went AWOL for the first goal today. That's a team packed with quality, and mistakes still happen.

Unless the aspiration is for a season of clean sheets (every goal is going to be the result of an error somewhere) mistakes, and being punished for them, is part of the game. We'll be doing the same to other teams plenty.
Of course I agree. Mistakes and errors will always happen both of an individual and collective nature. In many ways football is a game of errors and capitalising on mistakes but we seem to keep making the same two fundamental mistakes I believe.
Our defending of set pieces is average to say the least given the quality of the Keeper and breath of central defenders available to us
and we seem to come out in the second half unable to pick up the tempo of the first allowing the opposition back into the game.

Mistakes are inevitable but repeating your mistakes hints at a deeper problem.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
[SIZE=.9em]I like that Rodgers is keeping his feet on the ground. We certainly do need to improve our second half performances. [/SIZE]
Shortly after Sturridge fired the Reds' second goal of the game on 17 minutes, Rodgers appeared to cut something of a frustrated figure down on the Main Stand touchline.
Afterwards, the boss explained the reason behind his unease. He said: "I'm not the type of coach who only wants to win.
"It reminded me of a performance I had when I first became a manager. That was when I knew that it was more than just winning games of football.
"I worry about how the team plays and how we can control a game. I remember being manager of Watford early on and we beat Swansea 2-0. It was at Vicarage Road and we got the performance of the week and everyone was elated.

"But I was probably as disappointed as I've ever been because we played counter-attack football and we didn't keep the ball so well.
"I felt today that in the final third of the pitch, it was hard to argue with the fact that we were outstanding - the movement, the combination play to arrive in there. But we've still got a lot of work to do behind that because the lack of control in the game was disappointing.
"Second half was nowhere near what we want it to be, but without playing great, we won the game and that was something that in the first season we were guilty of - playing ever so well but not getting the result.
"Today in patches, some of the performances were good. But we've won the game having not played great.
"You've got to give credit to the players. It wasn't the best performance, but we won and we've got the three points."
I feel a lot of our weak 2nd half performances has to do with Gerrard tiring. I'd like to see him used a bit more sparingly once the game is won.

When we're in possession Moses in AM offers us a fair bit, but defensively he struggles at times and we can look a bit exposed over there. I'd prefer to have Moses on the right with Henderson playing the AM role in Coutinho's absence. I feel he could really grow into that role and offers us a bit more positional discipline and defensive work and helps the team keep its shape better.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Mascot88 said:
City's case was an overrated defender made a mistake and concede. Their goals aren't exactly always alike when they conceded. Their attacking side has all the quality in the world, but their defence are always a bit iffy when they have Lescott in them.

Not that I am unhappy with the results, but for ours, not only do we made a lot of mistakes in the second half. it looked as if it was a different team coming out of the dressing room. Coupled with the way we conceded. We concede not on an open play, but a set piece. A defensive area which we were really, really, bad last season. We are repeating the similar trend again, and this is not the first we concede from set piece. So one should worry because we need to learn from our mistakes.

Verbal80

legalalien said:
When playing with the BBC's Predictor thing I had us top of the league at the end of the year, i.e. not very well overall but winning. A bit like Man Utd really. This could be an interesting season.
What are the odds? Might be worth a punt!

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Henderson was IMMENSE today
Raheem, what has happened to you?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Tetteh_Dalglish said:
[SIZE=.9em]I like that Rodgers is keeping his feet on the ground. We certainly do need to improve our second half performances. [/SIZE]

I feel a lot of our weak 2nd half performances has to do with Gerrard tiring. I'd like to see him used a bit more sparingly once the game is won.

When we're in possession Moses in AM offers us a fair bit, but defensively he struggles at times and we can look a bit exposed over there. I'd prefer to have Moses on the right with Henderson playing the AM role in Coutinho's absence. I feel he could really grow into that role and offers us a bit more positional discipline and defensive work and helps the team keep its shape better.
I think it is a matter of trust as well. Maybe we might see that happening with Allen back in the squad. He doesn't have anyone in there which he felt has the steady hands to see the game through other than Gerrard. He also needed a leader in the middle of the pitch to bring the team forward and make things happen or calm it down. That is part of the reason why he has yet to give the man a rest.
BostonMick said:
Money gets into his head? :)

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
3 points, happy with that.And top for now, even happier.
Not so happy with the second half, but we were 3 up at the break so on this occasion I'm not terribly fussed. But it is a worrying pattern this season and in the next few weeks we have some tough games and cannot afford for this to continue.

Hendo and Sakho were excellent today, Sterling not so much.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Brilliant results.

Seemed that BR did stick a bit on the team. But he was absolutely right. When we take the game serious, 3-0. When we not, and everyone (Sterling...) try to get a classy through ball or their name onto score sheet... it ended up with a lot of bar, post and even conceded. This team is great, but the player needed to keep their feet on the ground, be more ruthless and know how to hold on victory.

The game reminded me a bit on that first League Cup when we played better with 10 people than with 11 (because players have to take it more serious).

SAS might even open a new age for us if they keep this performances

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
This was a lose lose game. we had to get 3points, anything less would have been a complete disaster.

I don't care how we win most of the time but you can't help getting emotional and wanting a barn storming performance. We didn't get it second half and so people get angry but heh we won.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
lfc.eddie said:
I think it is a matter of trust as well. Maybe we might see that happening with Allen back in the squad. He doesn't have anyone in there which he felt has the steady hands to see the game through other than Gerrard. He also needed a leader in the middle of the pitch to bring the team forward and make things happen or calm it down. That is part of the reason why he has yet to give the man a rest.
Good lord I keep forgetting entirely about Allen! If he can return to the team with a new hunger to succeed and rediscover his old form, he will be a welcome addition.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Thought Hendo played great today in the middle so will be curious to see what happens in the next game, especially with the people coming back in. I wasn't a big fan of this system at first but am growing to like it a lot more of late. We don't seem to let in many from open play but obviously our set plays are still awful, changing back to 433 won't change that.

For those saying we should go back to 433, 4231 (Kopite for eg) that would mean pushing one of our strikers out wide or behind the main striker. For me those 2 deserve to stay up front as a strike partnership. Also Kopite you mentioned how bad this system is even though the 3 people most had bad things to say about in todays game were Sterling, Moses and some complained about Enrique. That's 2 full backs in a 5 defender system. Of course with the 2 wing backs playing badly it's not going to look great but the fact it still won, albeit against inferior teams, makes you wonder how well they'd do with 3 better players in those positions.

Next game now we should have Glen and Aly available which could sort out 2 of those positions (can't wait to see Glen back, RWB is a position he's made for imho) with Coutinho maybe 1 game later. I'll be happy whichever system we play but i can honestly see this becoming a regular one to fit in our best players (possibly the best strike partnership in the league and our CBs are playing so well just now i wouldn't know who to drop).

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
And The Grunts from Golum's Grotto are just 1 pt off Championship footy.
It can't last can it?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I think Sterling is stuck in that plateau where many young players get stuck, and just about the only way to get out of it is to play. It might not have been the 6-0 pounding we looked headed toward in the first half, but with an early exit from the League Cup and no Europa League, Palace at Anfield is about as good an opportunity as will be available this season.

Drubas

No Men in the Box Redux said:
Not sure where all this Sterling criticism is coming from. I thought he and Enrique both had average games where they showed bits of quality here and there but never consistently. At the very least Raheem did well defensively and worked hard and didn't make any real mistakes like Enrique did.

Little needs to be said about Suarez and Sturridge. Those two are truly lethal together. I thought Moses played quite well in the hole today and was very strong and direct and really should have scored.

The second half performance is obviously a worry. There was a clear lack of desire to come out and score more goals. That is disturbing to me. Top teams are ruthless. And we are not that. Especially when the top half of the table is so tight, goal difference will matter and games like this present real opportunities to try to get our goal difference up. Also, the set piece defending was again dreadful. Exactly how we conceded to United in the Capitol One Cup. Gerrard fluffs his header in the front post and both him and Enrique are completely unaware of the player making a run in from behind them. Seriously hope we don't keep making mistakes like this. That is twice now this season we've conceded a silly, silly set piece goal. You would imagine that we would have learned our mistake already after the first time.

I thought Sakho was a beast again today. Love his physicality. Kolo and Skrtel both solid as ever. Henderson bossed the midfield and made many great interceptions and tackles today. He clearly brings that energy and extra running to the midfield that we don't usually see as much from Lucas. Would love to see him considered more often in a deeper role. It is where he ultimately belongs. That said, we played against very poor opponents today.

All in all, chuffed for the 3 points. Disappointed with the lack of ruthlessness and desire in the second half. Bemused at posts here on TIA slating Sterling.
First goal was just as much Enrique as it was Suarez. Second goal was set up by Enrique as well. Enrique played solid defense and was a major factor in our win.

Do you really think that Sterlings performance was ok? You didn't see any holes in his positioning, his press or his zone defense?

Clive

BostonMick said:
Raheem didn't have a great game, but he was playing a new position as a wing back.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Happy with the win. First half was awesome. 2nd half strikes again.

Sterling was utterly shit. Not taking into account his defending as that wasn't his fault, but his possession, passing and all around decision making is laughable.

Enrique was piss too.

Henderson MOTM for me, was Fucking everywhere and Gerrard seemed to have more confident with him behind him. Vastly superior passer and awareness than Lucas.

Despite his goal I thought Suarez was very average. Still seems rusty. Lost the ball a lot.