• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 3 Palace 1

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Great result, don't care much about the performance. The important thing is keeping ourselves as close to the top until the Arsenal game.

Clive

Well we won and coming into the two week break, it must be said we've done well with our relatively soft fixture list to start the season.

We've got a good chance to remain at or near the top coming up to the festive period, with games against Everton and Arsenal the stand outs. If we can get results in those fixtures we will be going well.

The Christmas fixture list looks tough, with Spurs, Cardiff, City and Chelsea between 15 and 28 Dec. if we keep playing well up til then, those matches will be a real test with our fairly thin squad.

I'm really enjoying the start to the season. Yes, we haven't put a complete performance together, but we are doing well and exceeding my expectations. I wince a bit at the moaning about the performances, we're top of the table, no one really expected that after 7 games, so I really hope fellow reds are enjoying it while it lasts!

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Also I know I keep pointing this one out, but it was December 9th before we had 5 wins last season.

Happy days. Try and enjoy them.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
First - The SAS has struck again, Sturridge turning and weaving and scoring from a tight angle shows he's one of the best.

Second - Sterling got us the penalty. Sadly after this, each of his touch was jeered and booed (?probably the way he fell for pen, however the linesman gave it.) Funnily the jeers were not drowned out as we were playing at Anfield? IMO this affected his play a bit. Other than that he was utilised as RWB and needs to work on his defensive side.

Third - This 5-3 -2 formation is brilliant against lesser opposition as it leaves us free to attack leaving a solid defense. In the first 15 we benefitted tactically as our widemen were given acres of space. Holloway had to change his tactics to counter but it was too late, the SAS drew first blood. We even had Toure clearing the goal line when Sakho and Skrtel got tangled.

Fourth - we need to work on 2nd half performance, let the foot off the pedal way too easy when we should be searching for a fourth goal. Definitely need to work on set piece and mark everyone in the box. Someone should be shouting to mark the runners.

Overall happy to win especially as games like these at home tends to be a banana skin. YNWA.

VictoryInSight

Tactical Genius... at least on Football Manager
I really wanted us to get a clean sheet but another goal was conceded from a set piece and that let me down. It was good that we won but I feel that we can still do much better. Glad that we are still winning though :)

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
Yet to watch the game, but also the All blacks won at Ellis Park, clinching the series!

We hardly ever do that at that ground so a nice way to wake up on a Sunday morning.

It's beautifully sunny here too.

Chill out about the set pieces.

60% of goal in the EPL occur from them, so other teams suffer too.

It's not the defending of set pieces that's the issue, it's the lack of correct defending further up the pitch where the fouls are being conceded that's the issue.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Joe90 said:
60% of goal in the EPL occur from them, so other teams suffer too.
It's something to consider in the general rending of garments that goes on here regarding defending set pieces - the defence is hugely improved from last season.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Mascot88 said:
It's something to consider in the general rending of garments that goes on here regarding defending set pieces - the defence is hugely improved from last season.
Yep it is something to consider, some stats people pull out of a hat are bollix,

A more accurate number would be 24.5% ;)

R

RedRiot

Thought that sounded high. I'm surprised it's even above 20%.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I'm happy about the result, don't get me wrong. As long as we are maintaining the position when it comes to tougher teams I will be more comfortable. Right now, I have concerns. So far, we have had a bit of a cakewalk draw but the tough times are inevitable against the top 6 teams:

[SIZE=medium]Date[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Home[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Away[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Table pos.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]A[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]ug 17[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]1-0[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Stoke City[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]16[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Aug 24[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Aston Villa[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]0-1[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sep 1[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]1-0[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Manchester U[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]9[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sep 16[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Swansea City[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]2-2[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]14[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sep 21[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]0-1[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Southampton[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]7[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sep 29[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Sunderland[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]1-3[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]20[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Oct 5[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]3-1[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Crystal Palace[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]19[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]With that draw, we SHOULD be in first place!!![/SIZE]

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
ptt said:
Like a man who's fallen under a steam train, I'm chuffed to bits :)
No.....just no............bad ptt........naughty ptt ;)

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Just saw the highlights, seems that the bbc thought that the second half was pants so skipped half of it. Good goal by Danny and nice movement from what i saw but, did we half a crappy second half yet again because better teams will prosper against us doing that............

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Semmy said:
I'm happy about the result, don't get me wrong. As long as we are maintaining the position when it comes to tougher teams I will be more comfortable. Right now, I have concerns. So far, we have had a bit of a cakewalk draw but the tough times are inevitable against the top 6 teams:

Date Home Away Table pos.
Aug 17 Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City 16
Aug 24 Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool 10
Sep 1 Liverpool 1-0 Manchester U 9
Sep 16 Swansea City 2-2 Liverpool 14
Sep 21 Liverpool 0-1 Southampton 7
Sep 29 Sunderland 1-3 Liverpool 20
Oct 5 Liverpool 3-1 Crystal Palace 19

With that draw, we SHOULD be in first place!!!
Eaiser said than done you play 28 games against teams like the ones we have played, only 10 against the top 5, I would say losing and drawing against the likes Stoke have cost us more than losing against the top 5 in the last 20years

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Semmy said:

[SIZE=medium]Date[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Home[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Away[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Table pos.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]A[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]ug 17[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]1-0[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Stoke City[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]16[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Aug 24[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Aston Villa[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]0-1[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sep 1[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]1-0[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Manchester U[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]9[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sep 16[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Swansea City[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]2-2[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]14[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sep 21[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]0-1[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Southampton[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]7[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sep 29[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Sunderland[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]1-3[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]20[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Oct 5[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Liverpool[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]3-1[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Crystal Palace[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]19[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]With that draw, we SHOULD be in first place!!![/SIZE]
The Tottenham game aside (which basically equates to our Man U tie) Arsenal have had it fairly easy too, in fact had they beat Villa they SHOULD be first.

The United game aside (which City actually won) they too have had an easy run and SHOULD be first.

You can only beat what's in front of you or not. To be honest, we deserve a decent start after last years first 6 games.

rab

A lot of people still not happy with the performance despite the result. Be interesting to see where people apportion the blame when Lucas wasn't playing. Sterling seems to be copping it despite us still not being able to fully control the centr of ndfield against relegation fodder at home.

Dodgy

TIA Youth Team
3 points?

Top of the League?

No new injuries?

Yes, Please!

It's results that matter. No style or artistic impression points given.

Tokyo_Red

TIA New Signing
Had the nice surprise of being able to watch this in HD as the sports channel here is free until the 14th. Brilliant.

First half, we started a bit too relaxed and Palace almost scored, prompting us to finally kick off. Luis wouldn't give up, then Danny smashed one in with his trusty left and finally Stevie got off the mark. Happy times. 9-0 here we come...

Second half, gave the ball away a little too easily trying little flicks and tricks too deep, noticeably looked to have relaxed again. Palace score, Gerrard, missed header again. We sparkle again, should have made it four but close the game off with Alberto showing nice touches in wide areas.

We still need a confident player with good balance and drive through the middle. A Ramsey type of box to box player to dominate the midfield. I think Hendo could do that, he was superb yesterday. Industrious, rarely wasteful though a little positionally inexperienced but covered all across the back line.

Raheem is a tryer but at 19 we are not going to see a tactically efficient 90 minutes at RWB where I think he struggled to balance attack with defence and his passing suffered from that too. I will not waste my words with defamatory comments but I know he's got more in his locker.

Suarez, I almost forgot what a player he is. This lack of whining, getting up quickly and continued graft is really becoming of him. Lets hope this is a sign of maturity because he's a better player for it.

This team lacks something but we still keep winning. In my opinion, teams like Arsenal and Chelsea are also lacking something at this point so which team grows into their system quicker will have the bigger say in terms of winning the league but a tough game at Newcastle in two weeks is our next stop and we shouldn't forget what a painful place that can be.

R

RedRiot

rab said:
A lot of people still not happy with the performance despite the result. Be interesting to see where people apportion the blame when Lucas wasn't playing. Sterling seems to be copping it despite us still not being able to fully control the centr of ndfield against relegation fodder at home.
It's kind of the elephant in the room - but it's so big it doesn't have to be mentioned. Suffice to say that regardless of the formation we play, we need more numbers in midfield to control the game. Henderson showed he can add workrate to our midfield on par with Lucas, so I think the answer has to be to have three in the center, two who can put in a lot of work, and one who can make telling passes. In the 1-2 I'd prefer to see Lucas sit deep and cover, but I can see an argument for having Gerrard sit deep with Lucas and Henderson ahead of him simply because they have the energy to press high and track back, while Gerrard doesn't.

You'd hope that whoever is in the midfield though, we could get a bit more control as well as some offensive contribution. I don't mind having two 20-goal strikers at all, but we do need someone else to start scoring some goals.

rab

RedRiot said:
It's kind of the elephant in the room - but it's so big it doesn't have to be mentioned. Suffice to say that regardless of the formation we play, we need more numbers in midfield to control the game. Henderson showed he can add workrate to our midfield on par with Lucas, so I think the answer has to be to have three in the center, two who can put in a lot of work, and one who can make telling passes. In the 1-2 I'd prefer to see Lucas sit deep and cover, but I can see an argument for having Gerrard sit deep with Lucas and Henderson ahead of him simply because they have the energy to press high and track back, while Gerrard doesn't.

You'd hope that whoever is in the midfield though, we could get a bit more control as well as some offensive contribution. I don't mind having two 20-goal strikers at all, but we do need someone else to start scoring some goals.
Essentially either it's the formation or the combination of players that isn't working. A lot of people were quite happy to see Lucas miss today's game presuming he was the reason it wasn't working. Without him we still didn't control the game and the balance wasn't right.

Still hoping we get to see a Lucas-Hendo-Coutinho combination at some point soon as I can't help but feel that is the best blend of defensive cover, energy and creativity we can put out at the moment.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
rab said:
Essentially either it's the formation or the combination of players that isn't working. A lot of people were quite happy to see Lucas miss today's game presuming he was the reason it wasn't working. Without him we still didn't control the game and the balance wasn't right.

Still hoping we get to see a Lucas-Hendo-Coutinho combination at some point soon as I can't help but feel that is the best blend of defensive cover, energy and creativity we can put out at the moment.
Yeah, I'd like to see that too, but where does it leave The Captain? RWB? I think that until Stevie either retires or moves out of the deep-lying midfield role we are always going to have this problem. And if he does move forward, where does that put Coutinho? Is he suited to playing LWB in a 3-5-2? Possibly not.

One possibility could be playing Stevie on the right of the front three in a 4-3-3 with Sturridge central and Suarez left. That would accommodate the Lucas-Hendo-Coutinho combo, but would it work? Would Stevie have the energy to play a full game in that position? I do think he's reaching the point in his career where his appearances need to be managed. Perhaps he shouldn't be used in games against the likes of Palace.

Claymenza

legalalien said:
Yeah, I'd like to see that too, but where does it leave The Captain? RWB? I think that until Stevie either retires or moves out of the deep-lying midfield role we are always going to have this problem. And if he does move forward, where does that put Coutinho? Is he suited to playing LWB in a 3-5-2? Possibly not.

One possibility could be playing Stevie on the right of the front three in a 4-3-3 with Sturridge central and Suarez left. That would accommodate the Lucas-Hendo-Coutinho combo, but would it work? Would Stevie have the energy to play a full game in that position? I do think he's reaching the point in his career where his appearances need to be managed. Perhaps he shouldn't be used in games against the likes of Palace.
I'd like to see gerrard rotated in with coutinho in the advanced role.

Allen and Henderson on paper is a better combination than lucas and gerrard.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
The problem with this logic is that Henderson has played every game this season. Its not as if its just Gerrard and Lucas, and we have introduced in a new variable.

Sure he has played no 10 role or to the right, but when we have been under pressure he has dropped deep with Gerrard and Lucas. So it should not be surprising that the same pattern repeated. Just as it would not be surprising if hypothetically Gerrard got injured and we relied upon Lucas, Henderson and Moses.

No one player is responsble for our second half decline(s), but one top player can help stop them occuring (despite a good performance that is not Henderson)

Calls for dropping Gerrard, are akin to dropping Pirlo or Alonso because they dont run enough. He is easily still our best midfielder and the catalyst for our attacking play. The alternative is to lump that entire responsibility on a player not long turned 21, how wise is that ?

We know Lucas offers next to nothing attacking wise, Allen and Henderson more but still limited. Without Coutinhio our midfield minus Gerrard is almost totally inert. We may keep the ball better, but do nothing with it.

We all know there should be enough quality to maintain midfield superiority, be it Notts County or Palace. Age, and tiring legs are for me secondary to mentality and tactics. Our performances drop as a team, even if it is most stark in midfield. (From our attackers defending from the front, to our defenders dropping deeper)

Claymenza

i_still_miss_fowler said:
The problem with this logic is that Henderson has played every game this season. Its not as if its just Gerrard and Lucas, and we have introduced in a new variable.

Sure he has played no 10 role or to the right, but when we have been under pressure he has dropped deep with Gerrard and Lucas. So it should not be surprising that the same pattern repeated. Just as it would not be surprising if hypothetically Gerrard got injured and we relied upon Lucas, Henderson and Moses.

No one player is responsble for our second half decline(s), but one top player can help stop them occuring (despite a good performance that is not Henderson)

Calls for dropping Gerrard, are akin to dropping Pirlo or Alonso because they dont run enough. He is easily still our best midfielder and the catalyst for our attacking play. The alternative is to lump that entire responsibility on a player not long turned 21, how wise is that ?

We know Lucas offers next to nothing attacking wise, Allen and Henderson more but still limited. Without Coutinhio our midfield minus Gerrard is almost totally inert. We may keep the ball better, but do nothing with it.

We all know there should be enough quality to maintain midfield superiority, be it Notts County or Palace. Age, and tiring legs are for me secondary to mentality and tactics. Our performances drop as a team, even if it is most stark in midfield. (From our attackers defending from the front, to our defenders dropping deeper)
Gerrard is hardly pirlo or Alonso.

Distributing the ball patiently and slowing the game down is not exactly his type. Instead we are sending direct balls out on the wings to exploit the pace that we have.

What we need is a midfielder who is comfortable carrying the ball up the field, which gerrard isn't. Allen still needs to be given the chance with a proper sidekick like Henderson.

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
Alright, alright! So 60% was a slight exaggeration.

It IS more like 25% :wacko: .

Still, that's one in four, which is a lot.

Sure, great to reduce the number of goals conceded, but in the end, you're gonna concede from set pieces.

As a coach, I'm more focused on converting our chances than worrying too much about conceding.

In the end, you're either playing to win, or playing to not lose. There's a difference.

I seem to remember a certain group of asshats winning the league last year by conceding loads, but always scoring just one more than the other team...

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I just have one point that I am concerned about, Mentality. The Man U side of the past would never have ease off even if they are up 3-0. They would have smelt the kill and gone for it. Even the commentator said, at 3-0 at half time, the worry is that Crystal Palace would just be destroyed and go under but they noted however, that a combination of Liverpool easing off and Crystal Palace playing tighter, they instead pulled a goal back. I am concerned not because it is Crystal Palace, its the mentality no matter who the opposition is. What if this is Man City or Arsenal and we ease off and let them in back with a goal, teams of those quality can easily come back and kill us off. I am never a fan of "oh we are 3-0 up, 4-0 up, lets ease off" Its probably natural but if we want to be a top team, then we have to be a predator and bite on them until we are sure the enemy is dead.

RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
Tale of two halfs. First half it was LFC, LFC, LFC all the way. Second half, far more even. A team with better goal threat would have troubled us far more. But Palace being what they are, other than the Gayle goal, there was little resistance.

But what matters is the win, 3 points, top of the table or thereabouts (let's see what happens in West Brom - Gooners game). Hendo was too good today, SAS were good. Moses had his moments. Toure was consistent as ever. Mignolet, Sakho, Skrtel & Enrique were OK whilst Sterling was piss poor albeit not in his preferred position. But my real worry is talisman Stevie. Having set such high standards, we have come to expect so much from him. So, even an average performance like yesterday's appears poor.

Just as we are again starting to play well comes the international break. Hope all those traveling come back fit. The next three games should be very interesting. NCFU or Newcastle St. Germain away, WBA at home and that crucial, crucial game at the Emirates. Interesting times ahead!!

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Claymenza said:
Gerrard is hardly pirlo or Alonso.

Distributing the ball patiently and slowing the game down is not exactly his type. Instead we are sending direct balls out on the wings to exploit the pace that we have.

What we need is a midfielder who is comfortable carrying the ball up the field, which gerrard isn't. Allen still needs to be given the chance with a proper sidekick like Henderson.
I agree that gerrard isn't alonso or pirlo. and should they have been on the team, gerrard would probably warm the bench, but ...
he is by far our best man for this position, i don't think he has a problem carrying the ball up the field, it is just wiser to keep moving the ball, untill a better option comes, not to mention losing the ball in the middle, invites a swift counter attack by the opposing team.

if anything, i am very impressed with the way gerrard has changed his game in his new role, he has stopped launching long balls every second, and is moving the ball on the ground much more.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
gasband said:
I just have one point that I am concerned about, Mentality. The Man U side of the past would never have ease off even if they are up 3-0. They would have smelt the kill and gone for it. Even the commentator said, at 3-0 at half time, the worry is that Crystal Palace would just be destroyed and go under but they noted however, that a combination of Liverpool easing off and Crystal Palace playing tighter, they instead pulled a goal back. I am concerned not because it is Crystal Palace, its the mentality no matter who the opposition is. What if this is Man City or Arsenal and we ease off and let them in back with a goal, teams of those quality can easily come back and kill us off. I am never a fan of "oh we are 3-0 up, 4-0 up, lets ease off" Its probably natural but if we want to be a top team, then we have to be a predator and bite on them until we are sure the enemy is dead.
Agree, within in reason though. Like leave Gerrard to protect the back four but let Henderson go forward and press from the front. but yeah it was the mentality that was the reason we sat back in the second half. The commentators said that Rodgers wasn't asking the players to sit back in the second half of matches but they did anyway. That says to me that our guys aren't confident even being 3-0 up to keep going forward or are just too lazy to continue playing hard as the match was effectively won by then. There is one player that is supposed to make sure the others do as the manager request and that is the captain but if he's the first one getting tired and dropping deeper and deeper in the second half then who are they going to follow?
We also aren't rewarding Gerrard when he does make a run forward. There has been quite a few times this season when Stevie has gotten forward on a counter attack only to not get the ball or even get it passed his way.

Good first half though, not good enough quality from Sterling out wide but better than I think Kelly or Wisdom would have done. His awareness at wing back wasn't good, he got caught in tricky situations that he wasn't able to get out of and lost the ball a few times. He couldn't catch up to Camakh of all people which was a real shocker!
Henderson did really well, ran around a lot, made tackles and kept the ball well. TOP OF THE LEAGUE, for at least 24 hours.

grooveshark

Banned Users
Did what was required in the first half punishing a poor team and finishing the business. Three points, top of the table