Post match: Liverpool 3 Palace 1

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
I was at the game great result took the goals well Mingolet was superb again.
Henderson was very good kept it simple and closed everything down ran his socks off.
BUT i have to say first time i have been at a game in 10 yrs for one thing or another was given the oppertunity from my family was so looking forward to it was well up for the game.
took my wife along with me for her first time at Anfield sitting in the main stand just beside the Palace fans
I am pissed off Palace fans were magnifecent sang there hearts out thought i was at selhurst park.
You will never walk alone before kick off then that was it atmoshere (what atmoshere ) didnt hear the Kop once group of supporters behind me and myself tryed but no response from the rest of the stadium.
Even my wife said she felt intimidated by the palace fans as we were not giving as good as they got by retalaitinng back with songs.
Was sitting beside a few guys they didnt even get up cheer nothig when we scored or came close to scoring didnt clap when we had some descent play.just taking pictures alng with other people round about .
came out of after the game and thought we had got beat.

artanisknarf

So pleased with the win.

The Spurs home loss to West Ham 0-3, United's home loss to West Brom previously, puts the Southampton loss in perspective. They are 4th at the moment.

If we continue our 2.2 points per game pace (and it's our pace ever since Coutihno and Sturridge arrived) then we are on pace for an 84 point season. That scares me, because we've laid some eggs along the way but still managed to keep up a great haul of points.

brush85

artanisknarf said:
If we continue our 2.2 points per game pace (and it's our pace ever since Coutihno and Sturridge arrived) then we are on pace for an 84 point season. That scares me, because we've laid some eggs along the way but still managed to keep up a great haul of points.
Sturridge first league game for us was match 22...since then we have 46 points in 24 games. Little lss than 2 per, which is still good mind you.

LFCLV

TIA Youth Team
jayrrardno8 said:
Henderson was very good kept it simple and closed everything down ran his socks off.
BUT i have to say first time i have been at a game in 10 yrs for one thing or another was given the oppertunity from my family was so looking forward to it was well up for the game.
took my wife along with me for her first time at Anfield sitting in the main stand just beside the Palace fans
I am pissed off Palace fans were magnifecent sang there hearts out thought i was at selhurst park.
You will never walk alone before kick off then that was it atmoshere (what atmoshere ) didnt hear the Kop once group of supporters behind me and myself tryed but no response from the rest of the stadium.
Even my wife said she felt intimidated by the palace fans as we were not giving as good as they got by retalaitinng back with songs.
Was sitting beside a few guys they didnt even get up cheer nothig when we scored or came close to scoring didnt clap when we had some descent play.just taking pictures alng with other people round about .
Anfield crowd has been s*ite for some years now. I am sick of those questions: "How do you like LFC supporters?" "Oh they are the best". It is quite the opposite. Shame that real supporters can not get to the match. I know that if I ever get to Anfield I will sing my heart out. Don't care if I loose my voice for several days. It will be worth it. YNWA

Bobbinho

jayrrardno8 said:
A few hours before the game i posted this -

"Im hoping the home fan's will get right behind the team today, need to treat each home game like a Cup final, second in the league..., plenty to play for, don't care who the opposition is, just want us to make Anfield as intimidating as it should be...."

Disappointing & embarrassing to say the least, hardly surprising though, seems to be an air of negativity surrounding the Club still...., not just at Anfield but throughout the forums, almost like people want us/BR to fail.....

Tbh, i considered going to this fixture would have had to pay £100 for a ticket alone...let alone everything else, stopped myself from going as i didn't want to be disappointed like you were....how anyone can pay for a ticket & not get behind the team even when their winning is beyond me....

Best fan's in the world?
Not at the moment we're not, far from it...

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
I could say many things about the match, but they have already been said here by all.

The most pleasing thing for me though was BR's interview to BBC after the match.He said that we are nowhere near our best and need to improve a lot.Now that is what I want to hear from my manager.He accepted that we had done certain things right but overall we need to be better.

Reactions: ptt

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
JoebloggsLFC said:
A few hours before the game i posted this -

"Im hoping the home fan's will get right behind the team today, need to treat each home game like a Cup final, second in the league..., plenty to play for, don't care who the opposition is, just want us to make Anfield as intimidating as it should be...."

Disappointing & embarrassing to say the least, hardly surprising though, seems to be an air of negativity surrounding the Club still...., not just at Anfield but throughout the forums, almost like people want us/BR to fail.....

Tbh, i considered going to this fixture would have had to pay £100 for a ticket alone...let alone everything else, stopped myself from going as i didn't want to be disappointed like you were....how anyone can pay for a ticket & not get behind the team even when their winning is beyond me....

Best fan's in the world?
Not at the moment we're not, far from it...
Yeah i found that the crowd were making more noise which wouldnt be difficult when A liverpool player made a mistake than we did somthing positive.
35yrs i have supported Liverpool for and found myself embarresed on saturday to say the least to say liverpool have the best fans seems like fans just paying for to say i have a season book at anfield and picture and video tourists.
for fuck sake we were 3-0 up and still couldnt get a chant the Liverpool ladies got a better cheer.
Our league position and results so far we should be getting right behind the team and club to keep everything positive.
But also seen on saturday when Stevie G scored the pen he just turned round and walked back no celebratio whats so ever.

Mr v

While i am very happy with our position in the table, it is really startin to grate my studs with these bizarre 2nd half performances.
Cannot keep happening. Can it?

Claymenza

gasband said:
And just to prove my point, Arsenal only managed to draw but because we did not go for the kill yesterday and conceded a goal, we drop to second although our GD is the same but because Arsenal scored more. If we had gone for the kill and scored just one more or did not concede, we would still be top of the league now. That is why i harped on mentality. Can you imagine this is the 38th game of the season where it is the title decider or more realistically, difference between 4th and 5th? That is why, we should never never never never ease off and I am afraid that such slack mentality will haunt us.
We hit the post twice with sturridge and moses. It should have been 5-0

rab

Claymenza said:
We hit the post twice with sturridge and moses. It should have been 5-0
Tough isn't it. Last season people complained because we didn't win enough games and were never in CL contention. This season people are moaning because we only won our last game 3-1 and are now a lowly second in the league on goals scored.

If we won the league some people would moan about it not being by enough points or our goal difference not being as good as it could be.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Been a fan since I was very young, getting up at 6am on Saturdays when most kids were sleeping to watch the games and waking my parents up cheering when we scored. Pretty much stylized my game around watching Barnes, Dalgleish, Rush play in the mid-late 80's.

Have yet to get UK, been leaning on the wife about a 40th birthday tour-de-sport next year....Anfield, Celtic Park, Bernabeu, Camp Nou. Catch a hurling match in Ireland. Anfield is top of the list though, been waiting my whole life and I doubt it will disappoint. May shed a tear or two when I approach the Shankley gates.

#YNWA, no matter what.

I agree with gasband...you NEVER leave points on the table if you can take them.

Muad

TIA New Signing
jayrrardno8 said:
Yeah i found that the crowd were making more noise which wouldnt be difficult when A liverpool player made a mistake than we did somthing positive.
35yrs i have supported Liverpool for and found myself embarresed on saturday to say the least to say liverpool have the best fans seems like fans just paying for to say i have a season book at anfield and picture and video tourists.
for fuck sake we were 3-0 up and still couldnt get a chant the Liverpool ladies got a better cheer.
Our league position and results so far we should be getting right behind the team and club to keep everything positive.
But also seen on saturday when Stevie G scored the pen he just turned round and walked back no celebratio whats so ever.
Incoherent. Are you blaming non-native LFC supporters for your perceived lack of support of the club? Please keep in mind it's the incredible support that LFC has in Asia and other non-English places which allows the club to still compete with the likes of United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

If you were a big fan on the Sistine Chapel for example, wouldn't you take your camera along with you if you got a chance to visit Rome? That's how us foreign supporters feel about the club and Anfield.

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
Muad said:
Incoherent. Are you blaming non-native LFC supporters for your perceived lack of support of the club? Please keep in mind it's the incredible support that LFC has in Asia and other non-English places which allows the club to still compete with the likes of United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

If you were a big fan on the Sistine Chapel for example, wouldn't you take your camera along with you if you got a chance to visit Rome? That's how us foreign supporters feel about the club and Anfield.
well let me hear there voice and sing and back the team im talking about 40,000 could hear a pin drop for 85mins if it wasnt fr a minute amount of away fans that sang for 90 mins even getting beat.

Bobbinho

jayrrardno8 said:
You've every right to be pissed off, it's about time our fan's started showing a bit more support for the team....can't believe im even having to say that, after the start we've had to this season....

Can't quite put my finger on it, it's like we're seeing progress but "we" don't really want to....? It's all a bit "meh, should have scored more...."

That said, i think if all our player's kept up their form for the full 90mins.... it would certainly help bolster the atmosphere a fair bit, NOT that at 3-0 up the fans should need any further encouragement to enjoy themselves ffs....

slufsar

Dont complain about not enough goals scored. Direct your criticism at some observations made during the game that leads you to believe we wont continue winning. Being a bit lazy when 3-0 against lacklustre Palace isnt something that will affect us much this season. There is, however, other quite significant signs that we wont be able to keep up this form and drop out of the top 4 as soon as the opposition gets tougher.

Bobbinho

Hey slufsar, why the long face?!?! :p :D

Best start to the season for how long exactly, pray tell...?

Goodness me i feel as if im taunting a manc! ;)

Cheer up mate, it might never happen....

LeoT

liverpool_singh said:
He wasn't at the far post but rather just standing half a meter behind Mignolet towards the far post. Then when the cross came in he was standing half a meter in front of him. Don't exactly know what he was doing though because he certainly wasn't marking anyone.

Here is their goal in the MOTD highlights and you can watch for yourself:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15lqp6_liverpool-vs-crystal-palace-match-of-the-day-highlights_creation?start=460
Enrique's strange position was because he was man-marking a player who's starting position was behind the goal line.
It was not Enrique's job to mark the far post zone, I think we decided not to mark that zone.
What he did wrong was let his player get away from him.

Watch the clip as many times as you want, however I think the first (and bigger) defensive error was placing Sterling a yard out side the 6 yard box rather than just inside it.

When we were lining up our defence for the free kick I was way up the top of crowd and even I could see that Sterling was standing about 2 meters too far to the right (or too far away from our goal if you're looking front on).
I even got told off by my son for yelling too loudly "What you doing there Sterling, move closer to the goal!!!!" before the free kick even came into the box.

If he was placed in the right spot then Sterling would have blocked the incoming free kick before any of our other defenders need to do anything.

You should always mark your zone from a starting position in which you head the ball away from the goal if possible.

R

RedRiot

While there's a lot of legitimate concern, most supporters do seem to be completely incapable of enjoying what has been a fantastic start to the season, performances aside. I think it's the new default, not guarded optimism but rather trenchant pessimism. It makes some sense given recent seasons (and the last two decades over all, really) but at some point, it's going to become clear that we're a title contender (the opposition doesn't get much harder aside from two matches until late December) and people are going to have to deal with that seemingly awful reality. It may not last all season, but based on expected performance from here to mid December, we will likely continue to be until the new year at least.

lancashirelad

All this whining and complaining about a good win, we got it right this summer...

It was important for Rodgers to get this summer right also...

Kolo Toure, at the age of 32 picked up on a free transfer from Manchester City, Toure looked initially like being a backup player to Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. However, he has now looked very impressive and seems to have found a new lease of life at his new club, reminding fans of the energy and enthusiasm that made him so popular and important in his earlier Arsenal days.

Then three signings on deadline day, 20-year-old Portuguese U20 international defender Tiago Ilori. Shortly after, Mamadou Sakho was confirmed as well – completing a move thought to be around £13million from Paris St-Germain, later the same morning the capture of Victor Moses on a season-long loan from Chelsea. With Moses it was the Reds’ 8th signing of the summer with new players : Luis Alberto, Iago Aspas, Simon Mignolet and Aly Cissokho.. Of the four just mentioned the departure of Pepe and the arrival of Mignolet was perhaps the most confusing, but as we heard from Carra on sky sport “Rogers just didn’t like him”
So the summer transfer window came to a close, remarkably, Liverpool had signed eight players, and kept Luis Suarez.

And here we are, high in the table, optimism abounds and the old enemy way down the table, it doesn’t get much better guys ………. FFS

Bobbinho

LeoT said:
Enrique's strange position was because he was man-marking a player who's starting position was behind the goal line.
It was not Enrique's job to mark the far post zone, I think we decided not to mark that zone.

Watch the clip as many times as you want, however I think the first (and bigger) defensive error was placing Sterling a yard out side the 6 yard box rather than just inside it.

When we were lining up our defence for the free kick I was way up the top of crowd and even I could see that Sterling was standing about 2 meters too far to the right (or too far away from our goal if you're looking front on).
I even got told off by my son for yelling too loudly "What you doing there Sterling, move closer to the goal!!!!" before the free kick even came into the box.

If he was placed in the right spot then Sterling would have blocked the incoming free kick before any of our other defenders need to do anything.

You should always mark your zone from a starting position in which you head the ball away from the goal if possible.
Good point, i didn't see that, Sterling was at fault, initially for giving away the free kick in the first place & then for his position for the ball in, doesn't detract from Enrique's part in it though as you say, he was also in no man's land in front of the keeper & behind Gerrard marking no one....would definitely have saved the goal from going in had he stayed behind Mignolet....pulled out of position far too easily.

Sionach

Resident Athiest
Verbal80 said:
What are the odds? Might be worth a punt!
I put a bet on with Paddy Power before the start of the season. I based it on our fixtures.
The odds on the site were 14/1. Threw a fiver on for the craic.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
LeoT said:

JoebloggsLFC said:
Good point, i didn't see that, Sterling was at fault, initially for giving away the free kick in the first place & then for his position for the ball in, doesn't detract from Enrique's part in it though as you say, he was also in no man's land in front of the keeper & behind Gerrard marking no one....would definitely have saved the goal from going in had he stayed behind Mignolet....pulled out of position far too easily.
Probably watched that goal 10 times yesterday...I saw 3 pylons standing there watching the delivery of the ball (Gerrard, Sterling, Enrique). Holy hell if I was BR watching the tape afterwards my defensive coach would been ripped apart after the same goal being conceded twice in two weeks.

The only play that setup will defend against is a low bullet being sent across the 6-yd box. These are professionals, they can curl a ball to within a foot or two of their intended target from a free kick at that distance. Setting up a zone defense of Enrique/Gerrard/Sterling in that situation is simply not going to work.

When in doubt, grab a jersey and stick to it like glue. All 3 of those players are guilty of the most fundamental of defending errors.

I know this sounds very selfish, but my mentality is this: Zone defense works during the course of play when you have time to communicate player switching and offside traps...When it comes down to a free kick like that, it's man-to-man marking with 1 man at the near post. If you have a 2nd free body, he drops to the far post.

Just my 0.02

Bobbinho

Semmy said:
Probably watched that goal 10 times yesterday...I saw 3 pylons standing there watching the delivery of the ball (Gerrard, Sterling, Enrique). Holy hell if I was BR watching the tape afterwards my defensive coach would been ripped apart after the same goal being conceded twice in two weeks.

The only play that setup will defend against is a low bullet being sent across the 6-yd box. These are professionals, they can curl a ball to within a foot or two of their intended target from a free kick at that distance. Setting up a zone defense of Enrique/Gerrard/Sterling in that situation is simply not going to work.

When in doubt, grab a jersey and stick to it like glue. All 3 of those players are guilty of the most fundamental of defending errors.

I know this sounds very selfish, but my mentality is this: Zone defense works during the course of play when you have time to communicate player switching and offside traps...When it comes down to a free kick like that, it's man-to-man marking with 1 man at the near post. If you have a 2nd free body, he drops to the far post.

Just my 0.02
I agree that it is something of a concern, definitely need's working on, Gerrard though was covering the near post with their player behind him, therefore he had to be watching the delivery of the ball in..., Enrique however drifted from being ideally positioned for stopping the ball going in like it did, to being in front of the keeper.... & behind Gerrard marking no one & not covering the far post...., Sterling was just awol & will need to learn quickly to take up a better position in situations like that, esp when there is little time to communicate.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
RichLFC said:
Playing a 18 year old wide forward at wing back is though not going to show him at his best. Not ideal by any means but better than playing a 4 man CB wall. At least he did provide some width

One good thing was tht Henderson did show with his pressing that we don't necessarily always need Lucas against every kind of opponent all the time. Played reasonably well. Also our defence was rather less sure of itself when Sakho went off though Toure again was tidy as the experienced man

Too many stupid little flicks and lazy passes though in the second half. Do think Rodgers needs to be a bit more proactive in badgering his players not to slacken off so much in second halves. Not sure it's being seen on the pitch from anyone bar kolo
It was Sterling going forward that was the most worrying aspect of his game Rich, his passing and decision making left a lot to be desired. Brendan obviously had faith in him to do the job of wing back - but he got this call wrong. I have not been impressed with Sterling at all this season, maybe his mind is elsewhere?

The team didn't show up for the second half and a good opportunity to score a few more went begging, worryingly against a better team we would have really struggled.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Great result happy with first half performance. Very disappointed they tookt heir foot off the gas. Wanted more goals and proof we could maintain that tempo for 90mins because thats whats gonna be required away to asrenal in November.

I think the star players were the frontline, Henderson and Sahko. Very [pleased with those lads. The crticism of sterling is a bit unfair considering age and position and to be honest i'm just happy he got 90 mins under his belt which he hasnt had in a competiive game in ages.

Luis alberto in the hole has been my shout since the change in formation and i thought he was vey neat and tidy when he came on. Considering the opposition maybe he should have started.

if we can beat Newcastle and West Brom in next two games we could afford to lose to Arsenal in the third game. The next two are critical considering the change in fortune fixture wise after those winnable games. City, Arsenal et al are lurking waiting to test our ability to comepete for 90 minutes.

All in all a happy red, Joint top after seven games and still yet to click properly.

Verbal80

Sionach said:
I put a bet on with Paddy Power before the start of the season. I based it on our fixtures.
The odds on the site were 14/1. Threw a fiver on for the craic.
Pretty good odds that. Won't be the same now. Will still be worth a cheeky one

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Hey guys not that I am not relaxing, but for too long, I think mentalities like what happen with Crystal Palace had haunted us. Precisely now that BR has gotten us seemingly playing pretty well and getting results, we should be trying to target to weed out such mentalities. Some of us are saying, hey its only October, we should smell the roses. We should and I am mightily happy that we 2nd in the table, way much better than last season and we have a strike force capable of striking fear into any defence in the league but what I can tell you is that a strike force that strikes fear into defence in October will strike fear into the defence come May. But similarly a mentality that we can take it easy 3-0 up and not go for more goals and as a result lost a goal and because of that ended up 2nd instead of 1st right not in October will similarly come back to haunt us in May if we do not show some ruthlessness until the game actually ends and not at half time or when we are 3-0 up. The guys need to play for their lives until the final whistle is blown not when they decide to stop playing.

If we want our team to succeed and be champions again, then they got to start thinking like champions first.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
jayrrardno8 said:
well let me hear there  voice and sing and back the team im talking about 40,000 could hear a pin drop for 85mins if it wasnt fr a minute amount of away fans that sang for 90 mins even getting beat.
This has been a big problem for years and it tends to be differant for mid-week games and Cup Games but it's not just a problem for LFC other clubs are suffering the same problem. Why that is I don't know many have tried to pick out what the problem might be and have bleamed the fact we now sit at a game, there is also a theory that because of the cost to go to the game these days the grass route fans can't go. What ever the reason I think it is the way things are at the moment. One thing I will say though when I use to beable to go to all the games though the 80's it was only the Kop that would sing and sometimes the Anfield Road would get involved but those in the seated stands where nearly always quite.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
The most pleasing thing about this season so far is that we're 2nd in the league (behind Arsenal only on goals scored), yet we are still to see a great performance by the team.

The likes of United, Chelsea and Man City have all won the league through winning tough games without playing well. I'm not suggesting we can win the league, but this kind of start without playing well can only be a good thing.

In recent seasons we've had to wait for the first 10 games to pass before we see good performances from the team. But this season, we could be right in the mix at the top when we hit form.

3 points, 3 goals, Sturridge and Suarez are playing well together, defenisvley we're not all bad.

Overall I'm happy - and it's been helped by BR's comments after the game where he's stated we didn't play well at all. He knows, so the players know, and that can only be a good thing.