POST MATCH: Liverpool 4-0 Fulham

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
kwala said:
Suarez joint top scorer having played 5 games less than eveyone else, and not taking penalties! Phenomenal!
Joint top scorer with none other than our other striker, Daniel Sturridge. I guess the Uruguayan is showing what his partner can do, he can do match him. Good rivalry to have... lol

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
T'riffic performance, very good result. A game we had to win ahead of the derby, and we bounced back in style after the Arsenal game.

You could see right from the off the boys were up for it. Fully focused, determined to steamroll them. Good pressing, great movement, high tempo and some very decent passing.

All in all a highly pleasing performance, and as a bonus we also got the opportunity to rest Gerrard and Sturridge. Great to see Joe Allen back as well.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Mascot88 said:
Agger did what Agger does, stopped attacks and stepped out with the ball. Lucas was really good at breaking up play, very aggressive and clean in the tackle.
We had 70% possession, how much did they actually have to do?

They were both fine but were peripheral to the game in comparison to most really.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
ILLOK said:

They were both fine but were peripheral to the game in comparison to most really.
Didn't see the game today but this is something i've said for years.
A dedicated holding midfielder against weaker opposition who we dominate with 70%+ possession is a wasted resource.
A more creative player with instructions to play a holding role without the ball would suit us better and increase the chances of beating these teams of lesser quality more regularly. That's my view anyhow!

Great result btw..

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
liverpool_singh said:
'

Good performance. Good result. Bring on Everton!
Mike Myers at Anfield: "I'm so thrilled to be here, I cannot even believe it. I'm normally really chatty but I'm speechless right now. I was born in Canada in '63 and my parents came to Toronto in '56, and there's no-one more English than an Englishman not living in England. Our house was a shrine to Liverpool. I love the people here and I really do think it's my home.
"I did not sleep last night - I cannot believe it. I'm so jazzed to be here. I can't even talk, I can't look at the soccer players in the face. I'm even starstruck by Anfield, the pitch. I didn't even want to look at it - I was a little afraid.
"I think Liverpool have every chance of getting into that top four this year. When Sturridge and Suarez get the ball you just don't know what's going to happen. It's old-school Liverpool, getting the ball and distributing it upfield.
"My only heartbreak I have is my Dad would have loved this team because of its creativity. But he's up there, enjoying it all."

jimbo

TIA Regular
Can't comment on the game as didn't watch it. Pleased with the results.noticed Gerrard came off as a sub. Interesting to hear Rodgers comments about bringing in 2 class players I'm hoping midfield. Martin jol departure almost immenent I would be happy to take jol as a scout I think he's good at finding talent

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
ILLOK said:
Part of the reason we had 70% possession was that Lucas won everything in the middle. I'm not saying he was man of the match or anything, but he was very effective in making sure Fulham didn't get a foothold in midfield.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Mascot88 said:
Part of the reason we had 70% possession was that Lucas won everything in the middle. I'm not saying he was man of the match or anything, but he was very effective in making sure Fulham didn't get a foothold in midfield.
Oh come on now Mascott, I still remember Lucas losing ground on Berbatov only to see Henderson tracked back to nick the ball off him. After that the next thing he did was carrying the ball up and push it to Gerrard for the next attacking wave. Winning everything is a bit over the top statement there. He did alright, but he is nowhere near or close to what Henderson or Gerrard did in this game. Miles from it.

lovepool

Mascot88 said:
Fulham were horrible today put in very little effort. All our players looked good today even if it was against poor opposition.

Kasami looks like he can become a good player if used in left centre midfield. Certainly in a few seasons he will be at a big club

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Mascot88 said:
Safe to say I don't really agree.

We pressed them so high up relentlessly at times and that was the real reason they couldn't get a foothold, I actually remember lucas diving in and missing the ball only to put us on the back foot a couple of times.

Like Eddie said, Henderson and Gerrard were far more involved and had far more of an influence.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Honestly don't think any players can be judged as the opposition was so helplessly poor. Lucas might have had a good game winning the ball back against a team beaten before they even kicked a ball...it's the teams that aren't beaten prior to kick off that are the issue.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Well chuffed with this result.
Only saw it on a dodgy stream so wont comment too much on individual displays.
3 points and a helping hand to our goal difference is enough for me, not really arsed who was better than who.

Glad to see Agger back, and that the masses who drop Skrtel every week haven't had their wishes granted.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
ILLOK said:
We pressed them so high up relentlessly at times and that was the real reason they couldn't get a foothold, I actually remember lucas diving in and missing the ball only to put us on the back foot a couple of times.
There you go then. The Lucas debate in a nutshell.

You see him miss a few challenges and ignore all the ones he won. Therefore he was weak. I see all the tackles he won, and disregard the ones he missed. Therefore he was good.

Anyway, I just thought he was quietly effective. On the dodgy stream I was watching he was winning plenty and being aggressive enough in the tackle to make me think we might be getting back the Pre injury Lucas. Like I say, it wasn't a storming performance or anything, but he did well.

And saying he wasn't needed because the midfield he was part of controlled 70% of possession is really daft. That's like saying we didn't need Suarez, cos we won four nil. We dominated the game and he was very much part of that (I know that wasn't you btw, ILLOCK).

baxter

TIA Youth Team
Dublin_Kopite said:
A dedicated holding midfielder against weaker opposition who we dominate with 70%+ possession is a wasted resource.
A more creative player with instructions to play a holding role without the ball would suit us better and increase the chances of beating these teams of lesser quality more regularly. That's my view anyhow!

Great result btw..
Without the holding midfielder would we have had the 70% possession? Its Lucas job to sit back and always provide an option.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Mascot88 said:
There you go then. The Lucas debate in a nutshell.

You see him miss a few challenges and ignore all the ones he won. Therefore he was weak
Straw-manning.

I guess you're right.

lovepool

Mascot Fulham were rotten so no matter who played DM we would have won. Fulham had no meaningful attacks and had a team devoid of pace

Suarez made everything happen in the final third and only a handful of players in world football could have matched his display

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
lfc.eddie said:
Oh come on now Mascott, I still remember Lucas losing ground on Berbatov only to see Henderson tracked back to nick the ball off him. After that the next thing he did was carrying the ball up and push it to Gerrard for the next attacking wave. Winning everything is a bit over the top statement there. He did alright, but he is nowhere near or close to what Henderson or Gerrard did in this game. Miles from it.
Agreed. Also have to take in to account the quality of the opposition and how little support Fulham's midfield got. We took our game to them and Fulham just sat back and took it. There was absolutely 0 fight for the midfield, of course Lucas would be decent and of course our possession will be over 60% in that scenario. Still doesn't discredit the fact that our midfield trio of Lucas, Gerrard, and Henderson is incredibly problematic against sides with any will or desire to press and control the midfield.

Anyways, delighted with the performance. Especially Stevie's performance after what was honestly a very uninspired and lethargic shift he put in against Arsenal last week. Suarez is world class. Sturridge looked a bit off today and their interchanging did not come off very often. That said everyone else held did at least what was required of them. We've really missed Johnson. Cissokho still does not impress me. Henderson was once again his usual self but aside from the assist for Luis' goal, he lacked incisiveness and quality in the final third. Same story as always really. We were always supposed to win this game comfortably. Fulham is dire away from home. Relegation contenders I get the feeling.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
Dublin_Kopite said:

Great result btw..
Fair enough view, although when you watch today's match, you'll see us pressing high up the field with several midfielders - Henderson, Gerrard, Coutinho joining Suarez and Sturridge pressuring their players. Against an even slightly better organized team with a little more quality, they could switch the play and we'd rely on the defensive midfielder to protect our back four.

I've been prattling on about the need to switch to a 4-4-2 diamond to get the extra creativity in midfield, and I was thrilled today to us do something like it. It was more like a 4-1-3-2 with the 3 behind the front two (Coutinho, Gerrard and Henderson) all playing as CM with license to get forward and wide as needed. Coutinho was often starting attacks in our half, and Henderson was pushing right up to join the forwards at times, as well as showing up on the right if needed to help Johnson out.

My man of the match was probably Henderson, but I thought the entire midfield quartet did brilliantly. Often times Berbatov would drop deep to hold up play as he's very good at typically to try to give their midfield a chance to get forward and Lucas would be right on his heels. Fulham didn't offer enough offensively for Lucas (or our back four) to have a whole lot to do, but on the few occasions they got into our half, we looked well organized and our positioning was solid.

All-in-all, a very good performance all round. And I'm in favour of having a DM in the side against even mediocre teams who may try to hit us on the break. It's an insurance policy that we shouldn't need, but which avoids us getting exposed. If the other 3 CMs play offensively as they did today, and our full-backs get forward in attack, having the DM to mop up any breaks should they materialize is just smart tactically. That becomes all the more important the more midfield talent/organization our opponents have. Even against a weak team (and Fulham have caused us problems in the not too distant past), when we want to guarantee a win, having a DM who helps reduce the odds of going behind and having to come from behind is smart. Throw in the fact that it's just before an international break and well, yeah - I'd certainly want us to play our strongest line-up to lock up the 3 points, and for me, that strongest side includes a proper DM.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
SoueysTash said:
Honestly don't think any players can be judged as the opposition was so helplessly poor. Lucas might have had a good game winning the ball back against a team beaten before they even kicked a ball...it's the teams that aren't beaten prior to kick off that are the issue.
Not getting into the Lucas thing, but I do have a hard time with folks dismissing our opponents because we beat them soundly. It wasn't that long ago that we'd struggle to break down teams who parked the bus the way Fulham did. Our 1st half goals meant we were able to play with no pressure and play with confidence with the crowd on our sides and not frustrated and on our backs. Not too long ago, against teams we thought we had 3 points against even before a ball was kicked, we'd struggle to break them down and the crowd would be on our backs.

So to me, it was a great performance to ensure 3 points were won. Credit to the whole team - our play at set-pieces, the front two's lively movement, the organization to press them high up the field, and even Lucas for mopping up when needed. Henderson and he did well and collectively dealt with every threat that they posed in midfield.

Fulham might have been weak today, but a lot of that was because we didn't give them a sniff. So I prefer to focus on how well we played rather than diminish that accomplishment by saying Fulham were beaten before a ball was kicked.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
ILLOK said:
Straw-manning.
I guess you're right.
Yeah - sorry. But you see my point. I'm as guilty as anyone else for being selective in what I see - that's human nature, I suppose.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Tetteh_Dalglish said:

Mike Myers at Anfield: "I'm so thrilled to be here, I cannot even believe it. I'm normally really chatty but I'm speechless right now. I was born in Canada in '63 and my parents came to Toronto in '56, and there's no-one more English than an Englishman not living in England. Our house was a shrine to Liverpool. I love the people here and I really do think it's my home.

"I did not sleep last night - I cannot believe it. I'm so jazzed to be here. I can't even talk, I can't look at the soccer players in the face. I'm even starstruck by Anfield, the pitch. I didn't even want to look at it - I was a little afraid.

"I think Liverpool have every chance of getting into that top four this year. When Sturridge and Suarez get the ball you just don't know what's going to happen. It's old-school Liverpool, getting the ball and distributing it upfield.

"My only heartbreak I have is my Dad would have loved this team because of its creativity. But he's up there, enjoying it all."
Fuck off mike, your a fucking gadzillionaire, if you really were so dedicated you would have made it back to anfield before now.

Fuck Hollywood celebrities narcissistic cunts.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Tetteh_Dalglish said:
Not getting into the Lucas thing, but I do have a hard time with folks dismissing our opponents because we beat them soundly. It wasn't that long ago that we'd struggle to break down teams who parked the bus the way Fulham did.
Quite - here were people saying West Brom wasn't a test, and we still played shit - but only two weeks after we thrashed them, they are very unlucky not to beat Chelsea and Stamford Bridge, and only as bad a penalty decision as you'll see cost them the points.

Fulham were poor. But as always it's very hard to pin at what point them being poor is actually more a case of us making them poor.

lovepool

Mascot88 said:
Quite - here were people saying West Brom wasn't a test, and we still played shit - but only two weeks after we thrashed them, they are very unlucky not to beat Chelsea and Stamford Bridge, and only as bad a penalty decision as you'll see cost them the points.
Fulham were poor. But as always it's very hard to pin at what point them being poor is actually more a case of us making them poor.
Who said West Brom were not a test? I remember alot of apprehension before this game with lots of posters calling them our bogey team after 3 straight defeats to them

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Tetteh_Dalglish said:
Not getting into the Lucas thing, but I do have a hard time with folks dismissing our opponents because we beat them soundly. It wasn't that long ago that we'd struggle to break down teams who parked the bus the way Fulham did. Our 1st half goals meant we were able to play with no pressure and play with confidence with the crowd on our sides and not frustrated and on our backs. Not too long ago, against teams we thought we had 3 points against even before a ball was kicked, we'd struggle to break them down and the crowd would be on our backs.

So to me, it was a great performance to ensure 3 points were won. Credit to the whole team - our play at set-pieces, the front two's lively movement, the organization to press them high up the field, and even Lucas for mopping up when needed. Henderson and he did well and collectively dealt with every threat that they posed in midfield.

Fulham might have been weak today, but a lot of that was because we didn't give them a sniff. So I prefer to focus on how well we played rather than diminish that accomplishment by saying Fulham were beaten before a ball was kicked.
Indeed, you can only beat what's in front of you and I'm not taking anything away. But to suggest (as I did myself) after the West Ham West Brom! game we'd worked out the midfield, only to be taught a lesson by Arsenal - Lucas/Henderson/Gerrard is still not a workable option against better teams. I was merely highlighting that we cannot, by any stretch, suggest a return to form for Lucas (or anyone else) from the strength of that game. I'm not sure we learnt anything about our team that we didn't know before - we can rip shite teams a new one.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
redbj said:
Fuck off mike, your a fucking gadzillionaire, if you really were so dedicated you would have made it back to anfield before now.

Fuck Hollywood celebrities narcissistic cunts.
And breath in and breath out and remove all sharp objects from your reach. Dude, peace :)

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Really good result, does not matter we played a struggling Fulham you still have to go out and play well to win, which we did and the best thing about today is we got a clean sheet. That has to be a boost for the team. Just a shame we are now going into another break. It's really hard to pin point a MOTM as there was quite a few who could get it, Luis got 2 goals, Skrtel got one, Hendo was a thorn in the side of Fulham and he created Luis first goal with a craking pass but for me it has to go to Coutinho the lad was at the center of everything and should really have got a goal but for some good saves from their keeper.

Let's hope we can keep this up over the next few games and it was great to see us go back to a flat back four.