If Suarez Leaves we are F**ked regardless who we get as replacement :D

Stevie G is a legend and still has a few years in him

If we beat Everton we're serious title contenders

Im ecstatic :DDDDDDD

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
lovepool said:
Who said West Brom were not a test? I remember alot of apprehension before this game with lots of posters calling them our bogey team after 3 straight defeats to them
Oh yeah. And then after the game they were shit and smashing them was par for the course.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Mascot88 said:
Oh yeah. And then after the game they were shit and smashing them was par for the course.
Ah, those were the days.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
SoueysTash said:
Indeed, you can only beat what's in front of you and I'm not taking anything away. But to suggest (as I did myself) after the West Ham West Brom! game we'd worked out the midfield, only to be taught a lesson by Arsenal - Lucas/Henderson/Gerrard is still not a workable option against better teams. I was merely highlighting that we cannot, by any stretch, suggest a return to form for Lucas (or anyone else) from the strength of that game. I'm not sure we learnt anything about our team that we didn't know before - we can rip shite teams a new one.
Agreed. I'm very thrilled though that we can rip shite teams a new one. It's a point worth belaboring because not too long ago we could mix it up with the best of the top teams, but we'd waltz into matches against so-called shite teams and end up slipping on banana skins, flat on our asses with eggs on our faces. It's wonderful to be able to consistently thump the smaller teams. There are a lot more of them than top teams. UTD won their share of titles while looking average against the top teams and routinely dispatching all the little guys while we and others slipped up against Villa, Fulham and WBA.

The Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson trio isn't enough to go up against the most organized of top teams. The addition of Coutinho to that trio though adds such a boost in quality. The choice then becomes 4 at the back vs 3 at the back. There may be times when 3 at the back is the best bet, especially with a lead we want to protect and hit on the break. (Though ironically all our clean sheets have come with 4 at the back).

Suso plays a lot like Coutinho, and when we get him back as an option, and if Allen/Alberto step up to the level we need them to be, Rodgers will have the sort of headache we really want to have. Add Hughes and another DM into the mix and we should have enough combinations of midfielders to be able to adapt to most tests in either the 4-4-2 diamond, 4-1-3-2 set-up we had today, or the 3-5-2 when Rodgers opts for it.

Certainly we're in agreement that we ought to be careful extrapolating from such performances against the likes of Fulham to what is required against the likes of Arsenal/Chelsea/City. But the ability to routinely dispatch the bottom 13-14 teams while getting a decent return against the top teams ought to be enough to safely guarantee a top 3/4 finish. That's good enough for me this season.

Reactions: ptt

Canuck33

Banned Users
We really played well today, all over the pitch, maybe with the exception of Cissokho. Especially the midfield did very well with that 1-3 set-up. But that doesn't all of a sudden mean that we are set there. We will still need considerable strengthening in January if we want to achieve top 4. So I just hope we don't let a good performance against an aweful side paper over our midfield cracks.

VictoryInSight

Tactical Genius... at least on Football Manager
ahmedshishini said:
Thank god Cissoko is a loan / Welcome back Enrique
There's no doubt that Enrique provided a far more effective outlet on the left wing than Cissokho. At this stage, I don't think the Frenchman will be here next season.

Canuck33

Banned Users
VictoryInSight said:
There's no doubt that Enrique provided a far more effective outlet on the left wing than Cissokho. At this stage, I don't think the Frenchman will be here next season.
He'll be definitely gone. Which means we are going to shop for another LB in the summer. We really need to make CL this year so we can build this squad with quality.

soberphobia

I think this game came at the right time for us. Johnson and Coutinho got a puff and a blow and will be better for the run even Cissokho who wasn't terrific will be better for some pitch minutes. Fulham were awful but it gave us an opportunity to run into some touch.

We were good enough to seize the opportunity and in the past we haven't taken those opportunities. I think this team is made of sterner stuff than a few we have had in recent times.

Clive

Fulham were awful, however it was pleasing to see how committed our players were to the cause and to getting the three points.

Feel a bit sorry for Martin Jol, what a waste of rations that lot are. Just rubbish and the contrast in attitude between the teams was there for all to see.

Break now between games, and we can look forward to the festive season buildup with optimism .

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Canuck33 said:
He'll be definitely gone. Which means we are going to shop for another LB in the summer. We really need to make CL this year so we can build this squad with quality.
Albeit not at the "elite" status of CL teams yet, it is now undeniable that we ARE quality...

When we want to be.

I am very, very much looking forward to what is possible in the next few years. Just need time to figure out the details.

Really looking to 2014 and my own trip to Anfield...hope gasband had a great day.

Cheers

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
K gotta say just got time to watch 1st half without distraction

Luis is playing like he wants to be here.

About 41 mins in, he gets tackled by Parker who strips the ball and takes off in a counter-attack.

Luis tracked him all the way back to the CB's and collected the ball when Parker lost it, not 15 seconds later.

Maybe its just for show, who knows...but I am okay with that because he could have just jogged back and nobody would have cared.

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
Simon Mignolet was fined £5 for having tea and scones without inviting Brendan Rogers when he was caught on the cameras having them on the 64th minute in the game between Liverpool Vs Fulham.

Brendan Rogers told the LFCTV reporter : " He should have know better, its a terrible rule to break. we only have 2 rules in the club and the first rule is always inviting the manager for a cup of teas and scone whenever they are having them, no biting anyone is our second rule of course. We are considering disciplinary action for Mignolet. Lets hope this lad learns from his mistake"

Simon Mingolet later told LFCTV that he was distraught by the fine, claiming that the fine was exorbitant and he would have to resort to stealing tea and scones from local tea shops because he was out of money after taking lessons from Luis Suarez for self-defence classes.

Canuck33

Banned Users
Semmy said:
Albeit not at the "elite" status of CL teams yet, it is now undeniable that we ARE quality...

When we want to be.

I am very, very much looking forward to what is possible in the next few years. Just need time to figure out the details.

Really looking to 2014 and my own trip to Anfield...hope gasband had a great day.

Cheers
We got some real quality players, but we do lacke in some areas. Midfield and LB are the most urgent ones to address.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Change in system was and is beneficial even if Sakho hasn't been too bad and we still have a bit of a weak link at Lb with cissokho. That was encouraging because have never really liked 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. Good the manager agnowledged it was to all intents and purposes temporary

Gerrard much better this week. Suarez as he shows with service is world class at bumming these teams senseless

Like others do feel a bit sorry for Jol, a genuinely nice man, but this is what can happen with ageing teams. Too many players winding down and not giving a fuck any more

grooveshark

Banned Users
Great performance, goals, three points.

Suarez is almost unstoppable at the moment. Great to see Chelsea lose ground too.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
RichLFC said:
Change in system was and is beneficial even if Sakho hasn't been too bad and we still have a bit of a weak link at Lb with cissokho. That was encouraging because have never really liked 5-3-2 or 3-5-2. Good the manager agnowledged it was to all intents and purposes temporary
Gerrard much better this week. Suarez as he shows with service is world class at bumming these teams senseless
Like others do feel a bit sorry for Jol, a genuinely nice man, but this is what can happen with ageing teams. Too many players winding down and not giving a fuck any more
Who's aging( serious question), berbatov has always played like that, it's irrelevant his age, and the others were Sidwell, richardson and Parker, possibly below what is required, but players who looked like they gave a fuck.

All in all, I really don't think full am are as bad as they are playing and could easily go on a five or six game run to turn their season around.

We are them look shite and good on us for doing so I say.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Tetteh_Dalglish said:
Agreed. I'm very thrilled though that we can rip shite teams a new one. It's a point worth belaboring because not too long ago we could mix it up with the best of the top teams, but we'd waltz into matches against so-called shite teams and end up slipping on banana skins, flat on our asses with eggs on our faces. It's wonderful to be able to consistently thump the smaller teams. There are a lot more of them than top teams. UTD won their share of titles while looking average against the top teams and routinely dispatching all the little guys while we and others slipped up against Villa, Fulham and WBA.

The Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson trio isn't enough to go up against the most organized of top teams. The addition of Coutinho to that trio though adds such a boost in quality. The choice then becomes 4 at the back vs 3 at the back. There may be times when 3 at the back is the best bet, especially with a lead we want to protect and hit on the break. (Though ironically all our clean sheets have come with 4 at the back).

Suso plays a lot like Coutinho, and when we get him back as an option, and if Allen/Alberto step up to the level we need them to be, Rodgers will have the sort of headache we really want to have. Add Hughes and another DM into the mix and we should have enough combinations of midfielders to be able to adapt to most tests in either the 4-4-2 diamond, 4-1-3-2 set-up we had today, or the 3-5-2 when Rodgers opts for it.

Certainly we're in agreement that we ought to be careful extrapolating from such performances against the likes of Fulham to what is required against the likes of Arsenal/Chelsea/City. But the ability to routinely dispatch the bottom 13-14 teams while getting a decent return against the top teams ought to be enough to safely guarantee a top 3/4 finish. That's good enough for me this season.
Well said, my thoughts entirely. Too often in recent years, we've turned it up to 11 against the big boys and then taken sleeping tablets against the cannon fodder.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
ptt said:
Well said, my thoughts entirely. Too often in recent years, we've turned it up to 11 against the big boys and then taken sleeping tablets against the cannon fodder.
Sadly we can't find 11 for the big boys anymore however - there's a lot more teams shitter than us than there are better so, taking that into account, we should win 70+ points - IF we can beat all the teams below us...

smurf91

So glad we went back to 433. Don't like 3 centre backs. We look more solid with Agger and Skrtel. Not Hendersons biggest fan but he had a good game. Gerrard was class. Hopefully can keep this form up when we play bigger teams. Would like to see Alberto get a chance.

Dark Metal

TIA New Signing
Another great result.

My one worry is Suarez is playing like this to get Madrid to buy him in January.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
just back from the stadium tour. i am still stoked i actually sat in the kop yesterday. wonderful exp. from where i was, i do agree that aly was the weak link.he looks tentative at times.

Dark Metal

TIA New Signing
Yes he is, it's fantastic what he's doing for us.

Just hope he sees the job through and gets us into the UCL next season.

kwala

TIA Regular
I don't think there is a chance in hell the club will entertain the idea of selling in January.

Mrs.Coutinho

Dark Metal said:
Another great result.

My one worry is Suarez is playing like this to get Madrid to buy him in January.
If he keeps playing like this not even Real Madrid will be able to afford to write that cheque

yiannos33

Believe
kwala said:
I don't think there is a chance in hellnthe club will entertain the idea of selling in January.
As long as we are competitive and challenging for the title.

kwala

TIA Regular
Well with the form of Suarez and Sturridge and now Coutinho coming back into the side, I can't see us dropping off 4th by too much, and 4th is our sole objective.

Drubas

I think it's obvious Enrique is an under estimated offensive force. And it's also obvious we play a lot better with 4 defenders instead of 5.