POST MATCH: Liverpool 4-0 Fulham

rab

If somehow both United and Arsenal could lose this one it'd be just about the perfect weekend of results for us.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Didn't have the occasion to post in here since the match ended, so...

YEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!

Excellent reaction after the disappointment against Arsenal. The system change back to four defenders, and playing some sort of 4-1-3-2, made us instantly look like a much more equilibrated team. We looked always like we'd have one or two men more on the pitch, such was the quality of our pressing and the pace of our game when starting an attack...

The three of Coutinho, Henderson and Gerrard were really fantastic at pressing that Fulham team, and they always had plenty of opportunities when recovering the ball, to either pass it towards one of the forwards, or towards one of the full-backs, who did their role very well in systematically offering width and joining attacks whenever possible. Especially Johnson was sensational in that role, he's certainly a candidate for MoM. That's where one can see how much we missed him against Arsenal.

Fulham were completely suffocated by our way of playing football, but in my eyes, it's less due to their lack of form, than to our relentless pressing, and every player being super-dedicated. Henderson was a true example for this, and he'll probably get my MoM vote.

The most telling stats are:

Possession: 67 - 33 %
Shots at goal: 32 - 4
Shots on target: 10 - 1

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24783129)

This tells clearly enough how much we were able to deny them any meaningful chance, and how many we created for ourselves.

Make no errors, this is a landmark performance (more so than the scoreline... it could have been 8 nil, but the most important thing was to take the chances when they came along in the first half). It's better than the 4-1 against WBA, better than the win against the mancs or any other win. This was an accomplished performance from the beginning to the end, one which clearly shows that we are about to improve.

I don't really take this argument about Fulham being a potential relegation candidate and thus diminishing our level of performance. How many times have we struggled against exactly this kind of opposition. So, to confidently destroy what was placed in front of them is really job done, and well done for the lads. Hopefully they'll be able to build on this for the match against the bitters.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Honestly, I don't care what Suarez's motivations are for playing the way he is right now.

I was happy to see him try to spread the opportunities towards the end of the game yesterday, shame that nice cutback to Coutinho was intercepted, Phil deserved a goal yesterday but a shade of rust still showing.

Can only hope we can ride this wave into Everton and take a win from them

Agger was a f'ing stud yesterday. Glad to see him back, he looked goooood.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
I was feeling so disappointed for Coutinho, he wants to score so bad that he's making a few selfish decisions with the ball. His passes are a bit heavy this season, hopefully he'll find his touch soon cause he's a heck of a player.

Great performance by everyone, still don't understand why we didn't play this way in the early games of the season. This is the way we are supposed to play as promised by Brendan Rodgers so the question is can we do it against the bigger clubs? Spurs and City lost which gives us a bit if breathing room but it's still tight at the top.

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
rab said:
If somehow both United and Arsenal could lose this one it'd be just about the perfect weekend of results for us.
I'm afraid outcomes like this are no longer possible.

With Fergie now in retirement, the FA wouldn't be too keen to make such drastic rule changes in order to benefit just one team, especially if that team is LFC.

Now that I think about it, I'm somewhat surprised the old soak never figured out a way to browbeat the officials into giving ManU all three points even when they lost!

;)

costared

TIA Reserve Team
MarlboroMan said:
I was feeling so disappointed for Coutinho, he wants to score so bad that he's making a few selfish decisions with the ball. His passes are a bit heavy this season, hopefully he'll find his touch soon cause he's a heck of a player.

Great performance by everyone, still don't understand why we didn't play this way in the early games of the season. This is the way we are supposed to play as promised by Brendan Rodgers so the question is can we do it against the bigger clubs? Spurs and City lost which gives us a bit if breathing room but it's still tight at the top.
I would not knock uesterdays excellent performance but with respect maybe we have not played like this before because we have not played Fulham before.
Results gone our way today let's hope we can get a win next match and keep the momentum going.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
rab said:
Not sure how that would work though, considering in this sport the only two possible outcome is one to lose or both tie the game.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
costared said:
I would not knock uesterdays excellent performance but with respect maybe we have not played like this before because we have not played Fulham before.
Results gone our way today let's hope we can get a win next match and keep the momentum going.
What about West Brom? We destroyed them too, that's 8 goals scored in our last two home games! So its not Fulham but yes they are very bad right now. They still have talent in their side though so they have the ability to cause sides problems just lacking confidence lately.

rab

lfc.eddie said:
Not sure how that would work though, considering in this sport the only two possible outcome is one to lose or both tie the game.
Thanks Captain Literal, where would we be without insights like this one.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Great game yesterday looking forward to the international break..

Upwards and Onwards

rab

lfc.eddie said:
Hard to admit a mistake.... You are welcome.
I suppose after 20,000 plus posts I'd have run out of anything interesting or useful to contribute too.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Thing is we have to beat what is put in front of us, we played that team that has gone to Chelsea and Old Trafford and got 4 points in wba.

Fulham should have been comfortable and we made it so, spurs should have beaten Newcastle at home and City should have taken points at Sunderland.

The difference is we did, they didn't, as long as we continue to win the games that on paper we should then it will give us confidence and also reduce the pressure on those less clear cut games.

Good win, good performance, clean sheet, 4 goals and 3 points,job done for this weekend.

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Are we happy that ManPoo beat Gooners?

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Newcastle, Stoke and Sunderland much mire enjoyable. Fact be told if Hull had won would have been perfect weekend

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
3 things i learned from this match :
1. with all due respect to kolo, Iloriand sakoh. skrtel and agger are the best CB we have. thank god skrtel didn't leave.
2. we play better with 4 in the back, the players understands this system better, and produce more.
3. without taking anything from allen or alberto ( that did't play ) neither of them can replace gerrard in the midfield at this point in time. once allen came in for gerrard, we created less, and moved the ball slower with less purpose.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Here an interesting reflection on the weekends results.

We get beat by Arsenal, who get beat by United, who we beat.
Chelsea scrape a home draw against West Brom, who we turn over.
We draw with Newcastle, who beat Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

Maybe we're a better side than we give ourselves credit for being, and losing the out game you should win is expected for any side.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
lfc.eddie said:
Whoosh

Reactions: rab

Bobbinho

This is how i think we all want to see us play every week....a good team effort...better link up play....not too wasteful in the final third...kept possession better....& more clinical in front of goal.

Have to say that i thought Gerrards performance was borderline inspirational, seemed to get this game by the scruff & force an early lead, those people questioning his leadership qualities only have to look at games like these to0 which there are many...& give some credit to the guy.....easy target to pick on when it goes wrong but not so easy to praise when it goes right....

But credit for this game's performance must also be shared by all those players who stood up to be counted....Glen showed how sharp & effective he can be.....Agger put in a solid shift...like wise Skrtel, thought Cissokho was much improved from his last time out, Hendo, great effort, seemed more confident, good shift by Allen also....nice to have a decent option there, looked very sharp, Coutinho, better from him, some nice link up play, could do with a goal though, Suarez & Sturridge, better understanding between them....Moses, did okay, all in all probably our best performance this season but it might have been Fulham's worst....difficult to asses properly but happy enough that we at least saw this game out....

Nice to hear the Kop serenading Brendan a bit towards the end, & for those people talking about how good Agger & Skrtel, Glen & Enrique are....welll, all i can say is it can only be a good thing that we brought in competition for those places.....

Forgot to mention Lucas....my bad....he was... shite... :p

VERY happy that Arsenal just lost & City & Spur's, Chelsea only a draw yesterday....can't help but smile when i look at our position in the league....

Two points behind the leaders after 11 games, who've just lost..

Love it! :)

NZred

The Red From NZ
So, who wants the title?

It's there for us if we want it.

Chelsea aren't good enough, City are just not at the races. United don't have a good enough manager. Arsenal are a bit stuffed if their midfield doesn't fire.

Do we believe that we can mount a serious challenge? Couple of smart midfield additions in January and why not? We have great depth at the back, we have the best strike partnership and arguably the best striker in Europe. We just need a couple of attacking midfielders of real class and we could be there or there abouts come May...

rab

NZred said:
So, who wants the title?

Chelsea aren't good enough, City are just not at the races. United don't have a good enough manager. Arsenal are a bit stuffed if their midfield doesn't fire.

Do we believe that we can mount a serious challenge? Couple of smart midfield additions in January and why not? We have great depth at the back, we have the best strike partnership and arguably the best striker in Europe. We just need a couple of attacking midfielders of real class and we could be there or there abouts come May...
I'd say let's get past December before we start even mentioning title challenges. By then we'll know where we stack up against those other teams you mentioned. With teams dropping points in games you wouldn't expect it becomes even more important to take points off your direct rivals as consistently doing that will keep your nose in front of the pack.

As for who we need in January to help us push on, that changes on a week to week basis based on that weekends result.

Bobbinho

NZred said:
So, who wants the title?

It's definitely there for the taking, not too convinced by any of the "top" 4 tbh, i thought City were coming on strong of late but they just slumped....Chelsea under Maurinho...none too clever so far, United far from convincing.....& Arsenal the only consistently good team thus far just showed their weakness.....

Funny enough I still wouldn't put us in the reckoning, it's a weird one really, just hoping on for a top 4 finish, but not very confident about that, havn't even considered the option of a possible title challenge, would be a little more confident had we showed a little more consistency in our performances for the full 90mins...

But, it's good to think that we're actually in a position at this stage whereby we can stay with the front runners, don't want to get my hopes up about anything else just yet, we need to show a lot more consistency before we start thinking the unthinkable.... :)

NZred

The Red From NZ
The positive, I hope, is that we are historically, better after Christmas and last season took more points than anyone in the 2nd half of the season, including United. If that trend continues this season, well....

Bobbinho

NZred said:
The positive, I hope, is that we are historically, better after Christmas and last season took more points than anyone in the 2nd half of the season, including United. If that trend continues this season, well....
True & i think the arrival of Sturridge in Jan helped, should we bring in 1 or 2 key players more this Jan, dare i say, it.....could be on.

Gonna keep well grounded for now though, need to see us take these type of home performances away....before we can start dreaming about anything.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Mascot88 said:
Here an interesting reflection on the weekends results.

We get beat by Arsenal, who get beat by United, who we beat.
Chelsea scrape a home draw against West Brom, who we turn over.
We draw with Newcastle, who beat Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

Maybe we're a better side than we give ourselves credit for being, and losing the out game you should win is expected for any side.
  • Not sure we'd beat the mancs as easily as we did earlier in the season. They are now on a good run and making their way back to the top. They'll probably be among top four before the end of this month.
  • No arguments about West Brom, although I can't judge the level of performance, haven't seen the match.
  • Hadn't the Newcastle player been sent off, we'd probably have lost that game. They were playing us off the pitch before that red card.
We still need many performances like this one before we can make an accurate judgment whether we have a chance of breaking in the places for Europe. The Everton game will be a good indication: they will be hard to beat, and the match will come after an international break, that's the time when we usually underperform. Win this game though, and it's game on. Lose it, and it will be service resumed as usual.

But I expect a right scrape for that game, tight as a virgin's *ss, and if we win, it will probably be ugly as hell (not that I would care... if the ref can help like Atkinson did two years ago, I'll take it, thank you very much!).

As for the guys talking about the title again... :huh: we are still in November, lads. As they said, one game at a time...

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Not certain we'll have another game like this one for a few weeks, lads were given a ton of space and time which allowed them to finesse the ball around.

We'll see how we do against the next fixture with a more pressing midfield. Should be a good game.

Unfortunately, I'll be on a cruise ship in the south Caribbean. Hope the sports bar gets satellite TV..

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Now watching the game for the 3rd time on LFC tv. Can't help noticing we have some class players these days, we are lovely to watch sometimes. DAgger, Lucas, Coutinho, Glen etc are so easy on the eye. The lads are really playing for the boss. Another couple of top players in January and i can see us ending up in the top 4.

Also fantastic to see Chelsea, the North Londoners and City all dropping points. What a great weekend :)