Post match: Liverpool 4-0 Red Star (UCL 24/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson [off 82’]

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 46 32.4%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Shaqiri [off 68’]

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 44’, 51’(p), off 72’]

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Firmino [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Mane [GOAL 79’]

• Lallana [on 68’]

• Sturridge [on 72’]

• Moreno [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
We needed that. First time this season we've really clicked offensively. By the end all those little flicks and first time passes were coming off. Still not 100% there but we don't need to be yet.

Fabinho was a revelation. I was starting to wonder what the fuss was about and now I know. I've learnt to trust JK on new players and just dropping them in there when they're ready, and he's ready. As well as his impressively clean tackles, he will add a lot going forward because he was always looking for the vertical pass and his execution was superb. It's a real shame that Keita is injured because this would have been an ideal game to test how the new midfield might function.

This little run of games we're in against weaker opposition is perfect for giving the fringe players some minutes as well as getting the attack to gel. Huddersfield was turgid stuff but this was much better. Still a lot of room for improvement but there were signs that some of our main men were getting into gear tonight.

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
I’m hoping this is a positive turning point in our season, a game in which we’ve seen two of our new boys, Shaq and Fabinho, clearly show their value and purpose to the club and its supporters, and really the first game in which we’ve even approached the heavy metal attack of last season, all while continuing to look rock solid at the back.

We’re still only running at about 80-85% of our potential, but I think we’re starting to see the team gel a bit. Much as it’s been good to see us grind out positive results from poor performances, it’s good to see us starting to put teams to the sword again.

Libero

Good result, happy with Shaqiri's and Fabinho's performance, both grew into the game well and contributed effectively. Nice game to ease them into it and get them to further understanding of our playing style. Red Star were not up to much scratch but gave us a bit of trouble in the first 15.

Nice to see the front 3 click to some extent and get on the score sheet, some nice attacking football played but again the final pass at times was lacking. I'm not sure if Shaqiri will be a long term solution to our midfield against stronger opponents, but definitively against lower ranked teams when playing at home we can use him, he was really good today, worked hard and created some nice opportunities.

Special mention to Gomez, so calm at the back, really looks a class prospect there, with VvD guiding him I think we have a strong partnership. Another clean sheet for Alison too.

On a personal note, nice to be able to watch some football again, haven't got a chance to see us much this season but today was enjoyable. Got the buzz back a bit.

mikodelniko13

MOM Shaqiri , fabinho was incredible wonderful defensive display combined with forward passing .
should have scored more from open play . but on whole much improved display and finally got to mention sturridge what a 20 min min he had .

FilthyBloke

The most impressive thing this season is the ability to keep clean sheets.
Not since the days of Rafa have we looked so steady. Having a class keeper helps. VVD and Gomez look solid (and lovren), and we have great shape about our back four.
For years now I have always felt we would need to score three goals just to be guaranteed a draw but now we have an extra steel.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Went to hotel Tia pre match for a beer. It got a mention at half time over the tannoys!

I just think away fans are important part of the atmosphere and banter.... Shame they weren’t there apart from the odds and ends that snuck in.

The average of my 2 predictions was pretty close so I'm chuffed.
Saw someone saying that Beligerant Red were poor. Not defensively I thought they held us back quite well with strength and complete lack of guile but effective. The problem for them is they offer nothing attacking wise which means the opposition gain in confidence (you just have to see the change in Wijnaldum, he almost got cocky and brave :shocked:). Once they start loseing then it's steam roller time as the defense loses, well, every positive axpect a confident defence could have.
I think a number of our players would do well to watch Shaquiri a bit. Personally I am sure that Firmino can do that even better if he tried. Anyway Shaquiri MOTM for me tonight. Might have given it to Fabino if I hadn't seen him play like that on many other occasions pretty bog standard for him :-)).
(Btw Fabino will struggle at times in our 'system' as he is used to players helping him out).

jaffod

This game followed the same pattern as the last few CL matches at Anfield, we were slow out of the blocks but once we got going there was no stopping us.
Thought Fabinho was fucking brilliant all night and made him MOTM. Gini was excellent again and the front 3 looked more like themselves. Defence solid and Sturridge put in a great 20 minutes where he could have created 3 goals.
A word of warning though. Red Star were game and I expect the away leg to be a battle. They got nasty and a weak referee didn't help.

Commando

A little bit surprised to not see the MOTM nominations shared around a little more. None for Gomez or Van Dyke. None for Mane. Not taking anything away from those that have been nominated (I went for Robbo), but I thought it was a very good all round team performance. All three subs came on and put in a good shift. Moreno very good attacking, he didn't have to do much defensively. Lallana (apart from his tame finish from the Sturridge pass) showed glimpses of his old self. Danny looked very sharp for his twenty minute cameo. What was going on with our corners tonight? There were two from Trent at the death, hit to the near post tamely. We were wondering whether it was something from training that had gone wrong.
As an aside, the sprinklers need sorting out. When they're put on at half time the front two rows behind the Kop goal (the disabled section) get soaked. I was talking to a steward tonight about it. She told me that she has complained about it to the head steward who has spoken to the groundsman who says there's nothing he can do. "He's just doing his job". Not good enough in my opinion. Surely the pitch can be watered without soaking fans.

dockers_strike

Happy with that even if we should really have had 7.

Good to see Mo scoring but Im concerned because he doesnt seem to be smiling when he scores. He didnt look chuffed when he scored the winner against Huddersfield and didnt looked particularly pleased tonight. I think Mo needs to get back smiling again and the goals will really flow.

Thought Gomez and Shaqiri were on blob tonight. Fabino seemed to take half the first half to get going then looked really good. Still thought we tried one too many little flicks and back heels though. Onwards for Cardiff on Saturday, looks like its going to be cold and a bit wet according to the forecast.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
To be honest that was more like it, and you could say they were weak but I’d still bet them to beat Huddersfield who we struggled against on Saturday.

Anyhow Good result, went with Shaqiri, but Gomez was so assured so much better in that role than at full back. Fabinho looked sharp as the game progressed and restricted them. Gino played well Salah is starting to motor and Firmino helped a lot.

Alison probably the only one who doesn’t deserve much credit, only for the fact he didn’t do anything.