Post match: Liverpool 4-0 Red Star (UCL 24/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson [off 82’]

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 46 32.4%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Shaqiri [off 68’]

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 44’, 51’(p), off 72’]

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Firmino [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Mane [GOAL 79’]

• Lallana [on 68’]

• Sturridge [on 72’]

• Moreno [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charlie

Mo still got those shoulder straps on. Guess shoulder injuries take a while?
Can't understand after his double tonight he was solemn and destroyed the after goal rush of the team...he had a gob on him like a "Grafton tampon" I hope he's not trying to engineer a move to Madrid in January?

RedYank

Had to go with Power Cube Shaq in this one. His stellar feeds--such as on one of Mo's goals (and a redux of the one to Mo this past Saturday) were amazing. I found myself asking: "how do you take this lad out of the starting XI going forward?"

It's been along time since l have seen an lfc midfielder with some real bite in the tackle. Fabhino could be the man to bring a bit of much needed steel to our midfield (and the occasional suspension !).
Milner?
Or is that more a thumping?

Red over the water

Nice to see things starting to click. Four goals from the front three, Shaqiri buzzing around and offering creativity from the midfield, Fabinho getting a start and growing into the game and doing really well. All on the back of an imperious defence.

I gave Fabinho the MOTM. Could easily have been Shaqiri, but I went with Fabinho as I’ve been wanting him to get going in a red shirt and tonight was the night he started. I think by the end of the season he will play more often than not, and I think by the end of the season this will be the best team, with maybe Keita forcing his way in if he starts to show his best form, which he probably will.

Here’s hoping we keep this going at the weekend. I’ve got nothing against Cardiff, but I can’t stand Warnock. It would be lovely to hand out a serious drubbing, six or more, to not only claim the three points and improve the goal difference, but also to put a marker down that we are up for the fight.

Another win against Red Star Belgrade will see us very close to being through. Shame we didn’t hang on for a draw at Napoli, but the sequence of the games after that, to face Red Star twice, back to back, works well for us. While the other two teams fight out a bitter battle for survival, we can make great progress. Onwards and upwards.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Coulda shoulda been a cricket score. Excellent performance up and down - loved Shaqiri in the midfield role. Front three seemed to start clicking, roll on Cardiff.
Do you think the front 3 looked better because Shaqiri was in behind? With all due respect, Gini, Henderson and Milner don't quite possess the same ability to hit a pass or run at a defender as what Shaqiri does. We looked a lot more fluid with him starting.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Do you think the front 3 looked better because Shaqiri was in behind? With all due respect, Gini, Henderson and Milner don't quite possess the same ability to hit a pass or run at a defender as what Shaqiri does. We looked a lot more fluid with him starting.
so your saying weve replaced coutinho for shaqiri?

wait until redforever gets a hold of this.....

Neukolln

Do you think the front 3 looked better because Shaqiri was in behind?
I've posted about this before. The short answer is yes. Ox's speed and abandon wasn't in a vacuum. He forced defenders to make decisions and commit to areas before they wanted to. As a result, it freed up time and space for the front 3 to operate in. Shaq provides that same quality. He is only scratching the surface on what he can become and what he can do for this side. To date, he has been a model citizen and accepted his role. Has said all the right things publicly and has his head screwed on properly. I don't want to overstate this, but if he continues with this approach and continues to allow Jürgen to mold and grow him, the sky is the limit.

I thought there was a lot of quality from many today, but I was really impressed with the midfield. Gini/Fab/Shaq were formidable and will only get better as they grow together. Truthfully I would start the exact XI again this Saturday.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Shaqiri was in the front 3, Bobby was behind. Shaqiri does play the forward role in the same way Coutinho used to though, coming inside rather than running in behind. Still gets on the ball in dangerous areas. His passing is sublime, good vision and weight of pass. He's starting to establish himself as a starter for me.

Last edited:

GTA_G20

FirminoFan
First off let me say the front 3 finally looked like the boys from last year. The first time this season they let their egos go and share the ball. Nobody wanted to be first on the goal sheet. Once they passed the ball around it was the beginning of the end for red star.
MOTM for me was POWERCUBE he looks great as an attacking mid. Very creative making the right pass and showing for and wanting the ball.

Robbo was second choice. He's so goodeople don't even give him credit for what he does. It's so effortless. He never gets beat and attacks with ease. He's so fast up the wing Mane doesn't even stay wide lol

Gini is like a new player. I don't even recognize him anymore. He's morphed into a beast of a CM. He's everywhere and he NEVeR loses posession. He is solid on the ball

Gomez.......how far this kid has come. He's a rock and he's quick. Last year I'd be nevervous and break into sweat about 3 times each game about conceding goals. I feel confident with clean sheets in every match.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Shaq was brilliant but gave MOTM to Fab, a breath of fresh air to have a hard tackling athletic midfielder who both passes and drives forward. I expect great things from him :-) Shame TAA didn’t get a little more on his attempted cheeky volleyed chip, would have been a stunner.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Shaq was brilliant but gave MOTM to Fab, a breath of fresh air to have a hard tackling athletic midfielder who both passes and drives forward. I expect great things from him :-) Shame TAA didn’t get a little more on his attempted cheeky volleyed chip, would have been a stunner.
+1 on the Fab comment - I think he is going to be immense for us

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
i'll preface this with I'm a worrier (I get it from my mom)
but...
is anyone else concerned about Mo's more muted post goal celebrations (compared with last year) and his decline in smiling?
Mo for me is probably trying to be more focused and trying to get his Mo-jo (pun intended) back. He knows he can do better, look at his reaction off the pitch, even the post match interview. His smiles are there, give it time when Mo is firing on all cylinders, his celebration will change too.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Good to see Mo scoring but Im concerned because he doesnt seem to be smiling when he scores. He didnt look chuffed when he scored the winner against Huddersfield and didnt looked particularly pleased tonight. I think Mo needs to get back smiling again and the goals will really flow.
I think last night, without being disrespectful to RSB, we came with a mission and so it was more just a job we needed to do without any hiccups. I don't think anyone really celebrated their goal did they?

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
I think we’re starting to see not just greater squad strength in depth but also genuine tactical options now without lowering the overall quality of the side.

If we turn the corner up front then God help the opposition .......

I also wonder whether taking Naby out of the limelight for a short while like we did with Fabinho might benefit the lad. Expecting him to just hit the ground running in a new league with a new side was/is probably expecting too much of him.

Last edited:

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Mo still got those shoulder straps on. Guess shoulder injuries take a while?
It's quite common for sportstars to continue strapping a joint after injuring it. If you watch an Aussie Rules game, it is very rare to see a player not have stapping on a shoulder/ankle/knee after having an injury. A lot even stap their joints without having injured it to give added support and prevent an inury.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps strapping the shoulder every game for his career.

jredp

good game from manager and team . thought the ref., had a decent game because in the league, it's hard to find a ref., of the same level., plus he blew for 2 penalties.
I am hoping that our season starts now with this positive confidence embedded from the game and of course, the result.
About Mo not smiling, I think he is aware that he has not yet attained his level of last season, so he shows it as disappointment in himself .
Sorry, but kinda a wry smile crossed me face when Lallana didn't score, as he didn't seem to have the energy to hit the ball well.
one thing of note, Firminho struck a shot from outside the box, which we rarely do.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Nice to see the expected easy win was realised.
Lets do Cardiff the same way to go back top of the league.

I agree. Its important that we follow last night’s performance up with another one against Cardiff. First of all we need to control the game and get the win but if we do that and go about things in the right way its an opportunity to improve our goal difference as well.

RodM

Difficult to pick a man of the match as there wasn't a poor performance out there. Quite a few eye catching performances but I went for Robbo as whilst he didn't have much to do defensively he did it well and when in attack he looked more like an effective left winger rather than a wing back.

Ref did well and was consistent although the penalties were a bit soft. I think I'd be a bit hacked off if they were awarded against us. TBH I can't remember the last time we got the rub on them which rather took me by surprise.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
It's been a while since seeing us play was fun.

I can't remember a match this season that we managed to transition from defense to offense as fast. Hopefully we are starting to return to the flowing attack of last season.

Gomez - I can't remeber a CB at this age so talented, fast and so mature. The kid is a rock.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Gomez - I can't remeber a CB at this age so talented, fast and so mature. The kid is a rock
The growth of Gomez is one reason why we broke the bank for VVD. At this point , if playing alongside VVD builds another classy CB from the academy , we'd have sorted out our defense for a huge period. Doesn't matter if we have spent 75m , Virg has improved the defense massively and that will prove to be money well spent even if not a bargain

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Really enjoyable game that. Red Star looked like they might well spring a surprise in the first twenty minutes but once the first goal went one it was really only a matter of how many. So much to like about our performance last night but for me the best thing was watching Fabinhio and Gini absolutely bossing that midfield. Ok there will be much sterner tests , but with those two breaking up play , rarely conceding possession and their assured , intelligent use of the ball , we were in complete command throughout. I think we saw the future right there. Once Naby gets upto speed we really are going to have one of the best midfields around. (And with a reserve of Milner , Hendo , Shaq and Lallana !) I can't remember us having such an exciting squad at Liverpool. The future looks very bright indeed.