Post match: Liverpool 4-0 Red Star (UCL 24/10/2018 8pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander Arnold

• Gomez

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson [off 82’]

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 46 32.4%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Shaqiri [off 68’]

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • Salah [GOAL 44’, 51’(p), off 72’]

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Firmino [GOAL 20’]

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Mane [GOAL 79’]

• Lallana [on 68’]

• Sturridge [on 72’]

• Moreno [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foldy

Fabinho and Shaqiri were bloody excellent. That'll be a nice confidence booster for Mo, Mane and Bobby looked sharp. Looking forward to the weekend and hopefully we can use Cardiff as a further platform to get Mo firing some more goals in. Fabinho has to play that no.6 role again, I can't say enough about how good he was last night. The class just oozes out of every pore.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
That was more like it. A bit of urgency and a bit of intensity and lo and behold we were back to terrorizing opposing defences. Much, much better than the dross against Huddersfield and the performance speaks for itself. 4 goals without reply (could have been many more), a plethora of choices for a MoM, a happy Klopp and fanbase.

It was great to see the front three grab a goal each, it's been a while since the last time, and Robertson and Wijnaldum continuing to do just about everything right, but the obvious standouts were Shaqiri and Fabinho. The former is starting to establishing himself as a starter and proving an astute signing and the latter looked for the first time as Liverpool player. And what a player; an absolute beast in the midfield. Sturridge should get a lot of praise too, he was excellent in his 20 minutes. Make no mistake about it, having a player of his quality ready to contribute at all times is absolutely massive.

Lastly, how weird is it that we can't seem to get clearcut penalties at Anfield in the PL, but we get two phantom ones in the CL?

RedForever2014

Great all round performance from an 11 which could potentially become our best 11 and best formation - 4231.

Time will tell against better opposition, but a double 6 of Fabinho and Gini, with a more creative attacking midfielder between them and the front three, offers more.

It's no surprise the front three was better with that creative player behind them.

Much depends on whether the two '6's and Shaqiri (or Keita or Lallana) can control the match against better midfields.

But for me, if Fabinho kicks on he looks like he is a more natural 6 than Hendo, and I can see Milner and Hendo being the cover for Fab and Gini (our best midfielder this season). I certainly feel it should be two from those four on the pitch at any time, not three from four.

The other spot needs to be Shaqiri or Keita, who are more creative, so much depends on how Shaqiri does against better sides, though his work rate was good last night. Keita isn't a central attacking midfielder in the 10 sense, but he has the potential to do the job in a similar way to Oxlade. I still think Keita could be given a match or two as a forward, to give him game time.

That defence is our best defence, there was a bit of a contrast to Saturday with Lovren in there, though I do like Lovren and think he's a valuable squad member.

In bigger matches, Sturridge and Lallana are better suited to coming on when the match is won and putting their energy into 20 or 30 minutes. Lallana's trickery can draw fouls and break the game up, whilst Sturridge can find space as opponents push on.

So good all round, though we need to go to their place and win, given how tight this group is. PSG will be tough at their place and Napoli are a very good side.

A win at Red Star means that whatever happens in Paris, it's still in our own hands in the last match. A win in Belgrade also means we have an opportunity to qualify in Paris just by avoiding defeat, if Napoli beat PSG in Naples.

phil smith

Great result and an hour of good football. A bit wasteful second half where we may have doubled the score. Winning is a great habit to get into. Our back four are awesome with Joe starting to look top class alongside VVD. Robertson has a unbelievable engine and TAA not far behind. The midfield clicked after a mediocre first 20 minutes and the same up front. We're in a good position at the moment but still a lot of work to do. Could have given Mom to half a dozen players on the night but gave it to Fabinho as the new lad made a promising start.

Commando

i'll preface this with I'm a worrier (I get it from my mom)
but...
is anyone else concerned about Mo's more muted post goal celebrations (compared with last year) and his decline in smiling?
I'm not. If he scores a bag full of goals this season and doesn't crack a smile, I won't be bothered at all. We should get Rob Jones back to the club. He never scored, but he had a lovely smile.

Difficult to pick a man of the match as there wasn't a poor performance out there. Quite a few eye catching performances but I went for Robbo as whilst he didn't have much to do defensively he did it well and when in attack he looked more like an effective left winger rather than a wing back.

Ref did well and was consistent although the penalties were a bit soft. I think I'd be a bit hacked off if they were awarded against us. TBH I can't remember the last time we got the rub on them which rather took me by surprise.
I'd like to take partial credit for the second penalty. In the set play before the penalty incident as Red Star were setting themselves up to defend the kick, I noticed that Ben was standing in shouting distance from me (I was sat in the front row of the Kop with my disabled nephew). So I shouted him. He never responded so I shouted louder. Still no response. Then I shouted even louder and another fella joined in. He went to look but stopped himself. So I shouted again and still more fans joined in. He eventually stole a glance just as the ball came in. As he looked in our direction someone behind me shouted "alright la". The next set piece that he defended we did it again. This time he kept looking around to see where the shouts were coming from. The ball came in and he handled it? I couldn't tell. Anyway pen to the Reds. He was subbed off soon after. My nephew said that you can hear the shouts of "Ben" on the highlights.

dockers_strike

I'm not. If he scores a bag full of goals this season and doesn't crack a smile, I won't be bothered at all. We should get Rob Jones back to the club. He never scored, but he had a lovely smile.
A very naive attitude if I may say. Sure, from our perspective, if he's cracking in the goals we can say we're not bothered. Im not bothered about the weather but rainy days piss me off. You've got to look at the overall perspective.

It is undeniable there is a difference with Mo. Whether that is off field issues, issues with the Egyptian FA or something else that fact is, a happy player will bang in more goals and contribute far more to the team.

Goodness sake, even my wife said what's up with Mo, there's something wrong because he isnt looking happy?

Hopefully it is nothing or he's just being self critical but Id love to see last seasons beaming smiling Mo starting against Cardiff.

Red over the water

When things aren’t right for a man at work, it’s a weight on him. Often it affects other parts of his life. For Mo, he hasn’t hit the heights of last season and it hasn’t been falling for him, relatively speaking, for much of this season so far. So I view not smiling as much in that sort of way. He doesn’t want to be a grinning fool, acting as though everything is great, when he hasn’t been at his best yet. He is a nice guy and a humble family man, but again, when things aren’t quite right at work, and I see it especially with men (maybe women can ‘compartmentalise’ better?) it often affects their wider sense of well being.

That’s just what we see on the pitch in terms of Mo’s form. Then factor into the equation the Egyptian situation with the sponsorship. I’m not fully aware of all the details there, but it sounds like he has his own sponsors, and he should given his status, but the Egyptian national team are overriding some of that and profiting from Mo’s superstar status to their own financial gain. Mo loves his country and he is a humble man, but who wants to get ripped off? So there has been a bit of a tussle going on with that, and I’m certain it weighs heavily on him as he likely just wants to be a footballer, and feed on the affections of his fans, and play, and score goals, and enjoy the relationship of doing what he does and giving the fans what they want. But it all gets complicated by greed around him...

Going a bit further than that, he’s probably still annoyed about the CL final, the way he got injured, the fact that Ramos appeared to get away with it - plausible deniability, and Real Madrid won the trophy. Then he was whisked off to the World Cup while still injured, played too soon, but understandably because the hopes of a nation were on his shoulders, but they had a poor World Cup.

After that it was a short break and back to work at Liverpool, and while stories of Mo’s poor form are way overblown, it’s still true that he hasn’t quite hit the heights of last season, and there have been plenty of signs that none of the front three have. Yet. Last night with four goals from the front three was ace, and there’s plenty more to come where that came from!

I don’t think there’s any problem with LFC. Mo is loved here, he loves the manager, the fans, the platform he has, and I’m sure we pay him very well too. Nights like last night will do him the world of good. A couple of goals, team playing well, Mo feeling the love of the fans... it’s all going to come together.

Lot of excellent performance but Powercube aka The Fat B*****d gets my MOM. The opponents doesn't belong in the elite league, but Shaq's pass for the first and second goals are excellent excellent ones.
On side note I think, we will move to a 4231 from our 433 finally. With Fab / Wij / Hendo / Keita playing the double 6. And Shaq / Milner / Lallana / Ox playing the number 10.
Maybe we don't need Fekir, Rabiot, Radisson, etc. Instead we may yet again go to transfer window for wingers.

All the talk has been about Shaqiri, and I understand that, but having reviewed the footage again both Fabinho and Wijnaldum were simply off the scale, incredible ....... wow ...... !
Yeh! they were a really big threat to creating chances weren't they? :rolleyes:

RedForever2014

Lot of excellent performance but Powercube aka The Fat B*****d gets my MOM. The opponents doesn't belong in the elite league, but Shaq's pass for the first and second goals are excellent excellent ones.
On side note I think, we will move to a 4231 from our 433 finally. With Fab / Wij / Hendo / Keita playing the double 6. And Shaq / Milner / Lallana / Ox playing the number 10.
Maybe we don't need Fekir, Rabiot, Radisson, etc. Instead we may yet again go to transfer window for wingers.
Agreed on formation, though I think Keita is more a left side of a two in a 1-2 if and when we use that, or a 10 (or emergency wide forward). Don't see him as a 6 in a double 6.

As to signings, you should always try and improve. We've yet to see how good Shaqiri is at 10 against better sides, ditto Keita, whilst Lallana is now a bit part and we don't know what Oxlade's level will be when he comes back.

I see the midfield group as Fab, Milner, Hendo, Gini, Keita, Lallana, Shaqiri (plus Oxlade on his return), some of whom can play as emergency forwards but not really like for like.

Milner and Lallana are getting on and Oxlade will be returning from serious injury.

So for me there's scope for us to sign a quality 10 like Fekir.

I do agree we need to look at wingers, as it's the only department we have no real like for like rotation.

There could be 5 or 6 departures next summer, including Clyne, Moreno, Matip or Lovren, Milner, Lallana and Sturridge for different reasons.

So there'll be some squad building to do.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Agreed on formation, though I think Keita is more a left side of a two in a 1-2 if and when we use that, or a 10 (or emergency wide forward). Don't see him as a 6 in a double 6.

As to signings, you should always try and improve. We've yet to see how good Shaqiri is at 10 against better sides, ditto Keita, whilst Lallana is now a bit part and we don't know what Oxlade's level will be when he comes back.

I see the midfield group as Fab, Milner, Hendo, Gini, Keita, Lallana, Shaqiri (plus Oxlade on his return), some of whom can play as emergency forwards but not really like for like.

Milner and Lallana are getting on and Oxlade will be returning from serious injury.

So for me there's scope for us to sign a quality 10 like Fekir.

I do agree we need to look at wingers, as it's the only department we have no real like for like rotation.

There could be 5 or 6 departures next summer, including Clyne, Moreno, Matip or Lovren, Milner, Lallana and Sturridge for different reasons.

So there'll be some squad building to do.
I will never say no to signing a new quality player, never mind the position. Fekir will be a welcome addition. However, you don't necessarily need like for like players as backup. New players give the manager option to play with different formations.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I think just about everything has been said but now we have to do it against stronger opposition.
Incidentally I thought Lallana did well when he came on as well. No duff performances at all .
Arsenal will be a real test. A win there would really set us up nicely.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Weird formation for this one. Shaq, Mane and Bobby all seemed to drop in to midfield at various stages, then suddenly appeared out wide or following Mo through the middle. I was confused so not surprised Red Star couldn't handle it.
Fab and Gini were imperious - both cover the ground incredibly quickly whilst looking like they are jogging! So much more dynamic going forward than Millie and Hendo at the moment.
Back 5 had little to do defensively but did what they needed to without fuss. Both fullbacks were playing as wingers in the second half just to get involved!
Overall, top performance all round and, for me, the best formation and personnel for the lesser clubs. Same again against Cardiff unless JK wants to give a few a rest.

Limiescouse

Weird formation for this one. Shaq, Mane and Bobby all seemed to drop in to midfield at various stages, then suddenly appeared out wide or following Mo through the middle.
I thought it was pretty straight forward and I don't get some of the ideas people have generated from it.

Salah was thorough the middle, Bobby in behind, Mane on the left and Shaq on the right. Obviously they all have a tendency to move around a bit (Shaq likes to drop in and get the ball to feet, Mane likes to come off the line in the middle a lot) and that can produce a little uncertainty about positions, but I think the bigger issue is that people just get confused when players line up in a position other than what they expect, and then try and shoehorn that expectation into what is actually happening (why is Shaq taking up so many positions on the right when he is supposed to be playing as a number 10/CAM?)

pass_and_move

TIA New Signing
Great result without us really playing our full on A game. Salah needs to find his little dink (oo er missus) over the keeper. PSG result suits us just fine. Overall a good evening's work. The Ferrari's still there but not at full throttle. Hopefully a bit more gas later in the season. Happy days.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
I thought it was pretty straight forward and I don't get some of the ideas people have generated from it.

Salah was thorough the middle, Bobby in behind, Mane on the left and Shaq on the right. Obviously they all have a tendency to move around a bit (Shaq likes to drop in and get the ball to feet, Mane likes to come off the line in the middle a lot) and that can produce a little uncertainty about positions, but I think the bigger issue is that people just get confused when players line up in a position other than what they expect, and then try and shoehorn that expectation into what is actually happening (why is Shaq taking up so many positions on the right when he is supposed to be playing as a number 10/CAM?)
Bobby playing as a midfielder just doesn't work for me. He is far less effective when he sits so deep All the time. When he comes short and then roams forward or wide we look much more dangerous in my opinion. I believe he played like this for Hoffenheim but don't believe you get the best from him. Shaq seems more suited to it