Post match: Liverpool 4-1 Cardiff City (27/10/18 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Lovren

• Van Dijk

• Moreno

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Lallana [off 61’]

• Salah [GOAL 10’]

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • Firmino [off 71’]

• Mane [GOAL 65’, GOAL 86’]

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 61’, GOAL 85’]

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Milner [on 71’]

• Total voters

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Thats a good point, and one I cant get my head around either. If for instance, one of their strikers had a shot and it deflected off Van Dijk foot into Allison's hands, would that be deemed a passback? No. So therefore it should still be offside whether it touched Van Dijk or not.
I think it depends if it’s judged there was intent from VVD to play the ball, which in this case clearly there was.

Mascot88

Admin
There was nothing to be annoyed about.
VVD went too far over leaving too much space between him and Lovren. Cardiff exploited that and scored. In the sequence all 3 of Moreno, VVD and Lovren made errors however the dope exploited was VVD.
Also Becker was 'slow' getting down he could have done better, he didn't.
The fact that you are pointing a finger to get annoyed says it all. Let's face it Cardiff came out in the second half to score a goal (try to make it 1-1 thankfully Mané put that to bed).
It’s all opinion. I thought the biggest error was Lovren. You thought it was Van Dijk. That’s it really.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Can't blame Lovren for being the wrong side when their forward was in an offside position.

Biggest error was Moreno. If he doesn't dive in, the goal doesn't happen. Maybe he'll learn one day.

Mascot88

Admin
Can't blame Lovren for being the wrong side when their forward was in an offside position.

Biggest error was Moreno. If he doesn't dive in, the goal doesn't happen. Maybe he'll learn one day.
Doubt he’ll be in a red shirt when he does.

FGred

It came to him from a fluffed clearance by VvD. That is not offside. It is also why criticisms of Lovren switching off are not fair. His positioning was appropriate for dealing with the ball that was cut back, the ball he was supposed to be concerned about. As a covering defender you cannot account for the ball going right through your CB partner.
No he was offside before that when the ball was passed to him

FGred

What I don't get is the initial ball was meant for him and he'd strayed into an offside position to try and gain the advantage. The fact VVD got a touch on it shouldn't make any difference, the bloke was offside and the pass was aimed at him.
Precisely

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.

I agree.

The first error is by Moreno. He rushes forward and lunges in but fails to make the tackle; at the same time he obstructs Millie from making a tackle. Moreno is then hopelessly out of position and compounds the error by jogging back.

The next error is when van Dyke gets a touch on the ball and deflects it towards Peterson. A better touch and the ball goes out of play. Or, if van Dyke doesn't play the ball, Peterson is offside if he attempts to play the ball (also it's more than likely that the ball would have gone behind him).

Lovren's position effectively plays Peterson offside, and he (Lovren) would probably have got the ball if VVD hadn't deflected it.

Finally, Allison could/should have done better to stop the ball.

It’s all opinion. I thought the biggest error was Lovren. You thought it was Van Dijk. That’s it really.
However I am not annoyed with any of them, just a bit disappointed we didn't manage to keep a clean sheet. Above all as it was well within reach against Cardiff.

I agree.

The first error is by Moreno. He rushes forward and lunges in but fails to make the tackle; at the same time he obstructs Millie from making a tackle. Moreno is then hopelessly out of position and compounds the error by jogging back.

The next error is when van Dyke gets a touch on the ball and deflects it towards Peterson. A better touch and the ball goes out of play. Or, if van Dyke doesn't play the ball, Peterson is offside if he attempts to play the ball (also it's more than likely that the ball would have gone behind him).

Lovren's position effectively plays Peterson offside, and he (Lovren) would probably have got the ball if VVD hadn't deflected it.

Finally, Allison could/should have done better to stop the ball.
The first error is the positions of our players. There are too many spaces to exploit.
Milner gets initially 'blocked' by a Cardiff player not Moreno. I think Moreno was correct to continue his 'press' he just does it poorly (as often he does :rolleyes:).
However how no one is picking up on the space defined by the triangle VVD, Fabinho and Lovren is quite amusing. :-)

No he was offside before that when the ball was passed to him
VVD youched the ball we have been through this before. When a Liverpool player touches a ball all opposition players are automatically player on side. When a similar situation comes up for us all Liverpool players are automatically offside, just ask Limiescoue. :-(

Personally I thought Lovren was decent but not great. Gomez is far better these days. Moreno was IMO clearly our worst player.
I think Lovren is still better against sides that pump the ball up the pitch and cross a lot. Gomez is inproving rapidly in his aerial game but when Lovren is playing he often wins more headers than VVD.
Then there is passing, Lovren has a greater passing range which can be useful whilst I feel Gomez passing game has a more cutting edge to it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they share the role for a while in a horses for courses type scenario and i am happy if that is the case. Klopp is in a good position here.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I

lol you don't really believe that Alberto has the ability to learn now do you ? lollollol

GermanRed

Klopp said in his pre match presser that Matip would be a starter in 97% of the PL and Bundesliga clubs. I‘m sure he will start him at Belgrade or against Fulham.

Also a big part of Klopps jobs to keep players happy (Lovren? and Moreno) and to try to get players match fit (Lallana) knowing that 'better' players would be available.

Red over the water

I thought the Cardiff goal and the possible offside went the way of a lot of marginal decisions in the game I.e. they got the benefit of the doubt. It’s always the way against lower sides. They huff and puff, stick the boot in and all the rest of it, but you don’t get your fair share of decisions. When you win by a few goals you get over it and move on, but there is something substantive in these sort of situations that’s worth looking at.

I don’t know if psycological studies have been done on referees, and they way they make decisions, but obviously they should apply the laws of the game evenly, based on what they see as the game unfolds, and each individual decision should be made on its own merit. However, you can’t escape the feeling that referees approach games like this knowing full well that one team is going to lose, so subconsciously (I refuse to believe there is an active bias, but I do believe there is a passive or subconscious bias) the lower team seems to benefit from a lot of decisions. It’s almost like there’s a human nature thing that kicks in, to try to even it up a bit.

Arguably I’m getting into a wild conspiracy theory, but since it was a relatively uneventful game and nobody can complain that we won, and quite easily at that, my contention is that there were loads of decisions that went against us - roughing up, fouls, penalty decisions, offside, and even a few tackles we did that were good, but the ref pulled it back and gave a foul against us.

Strange business, but fortunately it didn’t affect the result.

jaffod

I thought the Cardiff goal and the possible offside went the way of a lot of marginal decisions in the game I.e. they got the benefit of the doubt. It’s always the way against lower sides. They huff and puff, stick the boot in and all the rest of it, but you don’t get your fair share of decisions. When you win by a few goals you get over it and move on, but there is something substantive in these sort of situations that’s worth looking at.

I don’t know if psycological studies have been done on referees, and they way they make decisions, but obviously they should apply the laws of the game evenly, based on what they see as the game unfolds, and each individual decision should be made on its own merit. However, you can’t escape the feeling that referees approach games like this knowing full well that one team is going to lose, so subconsciously (I refuse to believe there is an active bias, but I do believe there is a passive or subconscious bias) the lower team seems to benefit from a lot of decisions. It’s almost like there’s a human nature thing that kicks in, to try to even it up a bit.

Arguably I’m getting into a wild conspiracy theory, but since it was a relatively uneventful game and nobody can complain that we won, and quite easily at that, my contention is that there were loads of decisions that went against us - roughing up, fouls, penalty decisions, offside, and even a few tackles we did that were good, but the ref pulled it back and gave a foul against us.

Strange business, but fortunately it didn’t affect the result.
I'm not sure the other top teams have to put up with the same amount of bullshit decisions we do, especially at home.

For instance, we've been given 6 penalties in our last 9 CL matches at Anfield. Compare that with 2 in 37 PL home games. Strange if you ask me.

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
We dont play particularly well, albeit with a massive possession advantage, winning 4-1 after a midweek European game, to go top of the league, unbeaten after 10 games.............and all I see is whining and arguing about who's fault it was for their goal.

As the kids would say, SMFH.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I agree with Dane, then again just bring up a point what is Alisson really supposed to do. Suppose he could make himself big but it’s not the trajectory he is expecting. The more you play in goal the more annoying outfielders opinion gets.

Anyhow it really doesn’t matter it’s a very odd goal to concede, the more important thing for me was seeing Salah back to his assisting best and seeing Mane and Shaqiri finish so well. They were all smiling as well but maybe that is why we are discussing a fluke goal.

jaffod

We dont play particularly well, albeit with a massive possession advantage, winning 4-1 after a midweek European game, to go top of the league, unbeaten after 10 games.............and all I see is whining and arguing about who's fault it was for their goal.

As the kids would say, SMFH.
Always makes me laugh, it's like every player has to be in exactly the precise, correct position every second of the game regardless of what's going on around them and God help them if they're not because the keyboard master tacticians will post a still of the action and point out how if they'd been 18 inches to the left when the ball was played a goal would have been prevented.
Good job these fella's aren't managers, every fucking game would finish 0-0.

Dane

Always makes me laugh, it's like every player has to be in exactly the precise, correct position every second of the game regardless of what's going on around them and God help them if they're not because the keyboard master tacticians will post a still of the action and point out how if they'd been 18 inches to the left when the ball was played a goal would have been prevented.
Good job these fella's aren't managers, every fucking game would finish 0-0.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
depends how you frame it, and interpret it.

yes, there are the football professors that will hang anyone out to dry, but the cold hard facts are, if a mistake is made, it can be discussed on a football forum, no?.

theres a mile between suggesting a goal was partly Dejan Lovrens Fault, and suggesting he should hang up his boots and never play football again.

i do agree though, some sections take it way too far.

Gini is the best example for me, so much hate for such a classy footballer.

Dane

depends how you frame it, and interpret it.

yes, there are the football professors that will hang anyone out to dry, but the cold hard facts are, if a mistake is made, it can be discussed on a football forum, no?.

theres a mile between suggesting a goal was partly Dejan Lovrens Fault, and suggesting he should hang up his boots and never play football again.

i do agree though, some sections take it way too far.

Gini is the best example for me, so much hate for such a classy footballer.
I dont frequent the pre/post match threads too often, but dont recall seeing VVD receiving too much flak for his lunge the other week when he gave away a penalty.
Agree on Gini, very under rated and under appreciated.

jredp

pity about the goal against us, but good to see Salah scoring, assisting and smiling. We certainly took our time about scoring the second goal because Cardiff could do nothing about our relentless pressure. Shaqiri adds a positive aspect to our forward play. Hope the lads do extra training with quick incisive one touch football.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Finally got time to watch the game,we are still something of a work in progress but it is coming along very nicely.
Good to see it is falling into place for Mane and Salah,and impressed by Shaqiri.
Not too fussed about their consolation goal,but to me it started with Moreno diving in and coming up with nothing and maybe VVD should have let it go ,Peterson is surely then offside.But that is easy to sit here and look at it and decide,VVD didn’t have that luxury.
Certain it won’t happen again,but no harm done except to our clean sheet record at home.
Was going to happen at some point,and Cardiff pulled it off.

Foldy

Their goal was a fluke error, put it to bed. Four goals past them speaks more about how we are as a team. Great to see Mane and Salah working so well together again. Shaqiri is bargain of the century and makes me wonder who Fekir is again? Salah looks like he's found his mojo so God help Arsenal next week. Moreno must be blackmailing Jurgen because how he gets on that team sheet is baffling.